• 137 38 394041
  • Page
  • Text Only
squeezer, i think they can convert MC to Visa.....because they once went the opposite way with me, converting my original Chase Visa Card to a Master Card, quite a few years ago....that was before they decided to emphasize the Visa Cards again...

scooty, well, it is true that dividend was around longer with the 5% deal, as they were doing before Chase did...but then Chase followed later on and had it for quite a long time....also seems like they let the card holders keep it for a longer period past the time the new cards stopped issueing....and they were even letting new customers apply way past the time the card was no longer "officially" available, which i don't believe Citi was doing.....

Also, it seems like Chase has given more big bonuses to open the cards (look at the recent $250 bonus for Freedom, for example)....and even now, with Freedom, they are 1% over Citi and in addition, give the $50 bonus if you hold out for the $200 redemption level...

so, it just seems to me that Chase has been more "customer friendly" in these regards than Citi has....I had also found dealing with Chase's Customer Service Reps to be more helpful and accomodating then Citi's was to me...I had the Citi one originally, but switched to Chase for just these reasons....Just weighing all the factors i just outlined....but that's just the way i see it, others may disagree....

well craig, i have a cash plus rewards MC and no letter yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. about the only thing I use it for is sams club, but its still very nice to have. I also have a Rewards Plus Visa, and no one has mentioned getting a letter about that card either, so I will keep my fingers double crossed.

seems like they let the card holders keep it for a longer period past the time the new cards stopped issueing.

I'm not sure why that is relevant.

I'd much rather have a 5% card for 5 years then be able to apply for a 5% card "after' it was still being offered and have it go away in 1 year.

Also in terms of bonuses, I don't think Chase can hold a candle to Citi's years of 0% for 12 months, 0% for 12 months from the time you do the BT not the time the card was applied for, $0 BT fees, and 10,000 TY point cards.

Not really sure why you have to point this out in every thread though, because I have both Chase and Citi. I just don't get the point of going on about how Chase grandfathered people for what appears to be a year when I have had my Citi for over 5 years.

My parents got the letter for one of their Cash Rewards Cards today =/...looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..

palffyfan said: looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards almost a 5% rewards card for grocery, gas, and d/s?

And there's always AMEX BlueCash [after $6,500, of course].

budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

So can someone who received the letter answer this question of when the rebate % change will be effective? Thanks.

I have the same question

palffyfan said: My parents got the letter for one of their Cash Rewards Cards today =/...looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..

penfed has 5% on gas, but its a visa, so i can't use it at sams, but i'll definitely sign up for it if they change my % on my rewards plus visa

budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

So can someone who received the letter answer this question of when the rebate % change will be effective? Thanks.

And again - letter receivers, when is the 5% ending?

beethovengirl said:

Just for those wondering between AMEX Blue Cash 5% after $6,500 (1% before), the break even point vs the Chase Freedom at 3.75% is if you spend annually more than $20,800 per year in gas/groceries/Drugstore. For our family of 4, we're probably not big spenders but that's not even close. We're even not reaching $10,000 in those categories.

Even if you count the Chase Freedom at 3% CashBack, it takes $13,000 annually in those categories to break even compared to AMEX Blue Cash. So for us, it's pretty clear cut Chase Freedom >>> AMEX Blue Cash.

Of course, if you're a big spender, the other issue is the 3% CashBack stops after the first $600 per billing cycle on the Chase Freedom card. Really annoying restriction which forces us to use two cards. Not a big deal but a hassle.

Scooty..it's obvious you like Citi over Chase...which is fine...though to clear up some points you made...the 5% Chase Cards Originally just Cash Plus, then Rewards Plus added later, have been around for several years, not one year like you said...in fact Cash Plus began about a year or so after the Citi Dividend came out....

Also both Cash Plus and Rewards Plus gave not only 0% APR for 1 year but $100 bonuses on Cash Plus and $50 on Rewards Plus, as well...Also, Rewards Plus allowed you to accumulate up to $600 a year in Cash Back which was double both Citi Dividend and their own Cash Plus....and the points on Rewards Plus did not expire for 5 years....And Chase also allowed people to convert over from Cash Plus to Rewards Plus very easily, if they so desired.....

You might not have been aware of all that, which is the only reason i mentioned it.....but that's cool..you apparently like Citi better and i like Chase better, as the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks"!

And yes, those who have received the letter, or know someone who did...please post here when the 5% ends after you get the letter...

Scooty..it's obvious you like Citi over Chase...which is fine...

No it is not fine, I actually have more Chase products than I have Citi products. I just don't put down Citi Dividend every time I discuss Chase products like you do.

though to clear up some points you made...the 5% Chase Cards Originally just Cash Plus, then Rewards Plus added later, have been around for several years, not one year like you said...

What on earth are you talking about? I never said that. I said I would rather have a company offer 5% off for 5 years then let it be available for one year after it supposedly wasn't available anymore.

in fact Cash Plus began about a year or so after the Citi Dividend came out....

In fact it did not. Cash Plus came out in the summer of 2005. Dividend was available at least since 2002.

(I even looked it up and there are news story about Citi Dividend from Feb. 2002 which would be more than 3 years before Cash Plus.

I'm just trying to state facts. What did bringing up Citi Dividend have to do with anything in this thread? And why is Chase so great for grandfathering people for a year for a total of 3 years of 5% when Citi gave over 4 years of 5%?

I do not "apparently like" Citi more than Chase. I've been a Chase customer for over 20 years. I just don't like people making false statements like you just made.

You might not have been aware of all that, which is the only reason i mentioned it.....but that's cool..

Actually it isn't cool because what you said isn't true and you said I said things that I didn't.

enabler said: budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

July 15, 2007

beethovengirl said: palffyfan said: looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards almost a 5% rewards card for grocery, gas, and d/s?

Not even close. Last month I had decided to close my Citi Platinum Dividend Select card (the other 5% card that was terminated last year) now that the new benefits were completely useless to me and the customer rep suggested I try out the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards, promising the same benefits as the Platinum Div Select card, with the option of using those rewards as cash to pay off the monthly bill. Believing her crap, I agreed and received the new card shortly, but after accessing their online system, I noticed that their points get converted on a 2 to 1 ratio of points to cents, making the cards equivalent to a 2.5% card (if not worse). End up calling again and cancelling the card the same day I received it..

palffyfan said: enabler said: budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

July 15, 2007

There may be some correlation between the end date and the date the cardholder joined the chase rewards plus or cash plus rewards program.

Could you clarify which CashBack program you got the letter for (cash plus rewards, or rewards plus), and when (approx month, and year) you had joined it?

TIA,
Anakin

anakinskywalker said: palffyfan said: enabler said: budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

July 15, 2007

There may be some correlation between the end date and the date the cardholder joined the chase rewards plus or cash plus rewards program.

Could you clarify which CashBack program you got the letter for (cash plus rewards, or rewards plus), and when (approx month, and year) you had joined it?

TIA,
Anakin

Its Cash Plus Rewards and over a year ago (I can't give you a better estimate since the card doesn't belong to me)...

pics of the letter found here. Comes in a blue and white envelope with "Are you ready to EARN MORE REWARDS THAN EVER?" paradoxically stamped across the envelope...

What if you already have a Chase Freedom Visa card? Can they issue you another Freedom card to replace the Rewards card?

thanks for posting palffy....no doubt the same letter will be going out for Rewards Plus as well...if anyone with Rewards Plus gets the letter also, please let us know here....Well, at least you get the "essential catagories" right away with it...that's good....

palffyfan said: pics of the letter found here. Comes in a blue and white envelope with "Are you ready to EARN MORE REWARDS THAN EVER?" paradoxically stamped across the envelope...

thanks for the scan

budster said: What if you already have a Chase Freedom Visa card? Can they issue you another Freedom card to replace the Rewards card?

Of course they can...you can have more then one Freedom card.....In my case, i have Rewards Plus and Freedom....I mostly use Freedom except when buying groceries, i use my Rewards Plus (for the 5%) now that it looks like that will be going, when they convert my Rewards Plus to Freedom, i will probably close that one out and move my line to the newer card...i don't need 2 of the same, but if you want to, sure, you can have two of the same.....

Chase does indeed have a Freedom Mastercard...my dad has one. It is a World Mastercard he got a pre-approval for in the mail.

Shandril said: beethovengirl said:

Just for those wondering between AMEX Blue Cash 5% after $6,500 (1% before), the break even point vs the Chase Freedom at 3.75% is if you spend annually more than $20,800 per year in gas/groceries/Drugstore. For our family of 4, we're probably not big spenders but that's not even close. We're even not reaching $10,000 in those categories.

Even if you count the Chase Freedom at 3% CashBack, it takes $13,000 annually in those categories to break even compared to AMEX Blue Cash. So for us, it's pretty clear cut Chase Freedom >>> AMEX Blue Cash.

That's not how I view the difference. I do not use my AMEX BlueCash on EDP *until* I've hit the $6,500 threshold. So, to me, what matters is the difference between 0.5% and 1% (1.25%, I suppose) on non-EDP up to $6,500. On $6,500 of non-EDP, the Freedom card nets you $32 - $50 more. So if I use my AMEX BlueCash for $6,500 of non-EDP, I can recoup that $32 by spending $1,600 on EDP after I've hit the $6,500 of non-EDP. that's very easy, IMO. [at the 3.75%/1.25% rate, you recoup the $50 after $4,000 of EDP]

Of course, if you're a big spender, the other issue is the 3% CashBack stops after the first $600 per billing cycle on the Chase Freedom card. Really annoying restriction which forces us to use two cards. Not a big deal but a hassle.
whoa, I never read the fine print closely enough, I guess. thanks for pointing that out!

palffyfan said: beethovengirl said: palffyfan said: looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..

Not even close. Last month I had decided to close my Citi Platinum Dividend Select card (the other 5% card that was terminated last year) now that the new benefits were completely useless to me and the customer rep suggested I try out the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards, promising the same benefits as the Platinum Div Select card, with the option of using those rewards as cash to pay off the monthly bill. Believing her crap, I agreed and received the new card shortly, but after accessing their online system, I noticed that their points get converted on a 2 to 1 ratio of points to cents, making the cards equivalent to a 2.5% card (if not worse). End up calling again and cancelling the card the same day I received it..

Well, sort of...

6,000 ThankYou Points are redeemable for a $50 gift card, and you get Five ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations for 12 months and one ThankYou Point thereafter.
Diamond Preferred Rewards
So... useless after a year certainly, but it gives 4.2% on EDP the first year [assuming I did the math correctly].

Also, at the moment, I'm using my Discover gas card for gas, since it has the potential of 10% Cash Back on gas.

beethovengirl said: palffyfan said: beethovengirl said: palffyfan said: looks like this is the end of the 5% rewards cards..

Well, sort of...

6,000 ThankYou Points are redeemable for a $50 gift card, and you get Five ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations for 12 months and one ThankYou Point thereafter.
Diamond Preferred Rewards
So... useless after a year certainly, but it gives 4.2% on EDP the first year [assuming I did the math correctly].

Also, at the moment, I'm using my Discover gas card for gas, since it has the potential of 10% Cash Back on gas.

Well first of all, I personally could care less for gift cards---I want either Cash Back or statement credit. This is the best Citi has to offer me with regards to that. Additionally, your card becomes useless once the promotion runs out, so I don't think the card is nearly as good as Cash Rewards/Rewards Plus/Old Citi Div Plat Select..

palffyfan said: Well first of all, I personally could care less for gift cards
I certainly could use the Target GC to buy stuff I'd have bought anyway.

Additionally, your card becomes useless once the promotion runs out
I don't disagree.

I keep hearing 6,000 points for $50 GC is such a rip off over and over again. I agree.

However are people really that impatient that they can't wait for the dozen(s) of cards that offer $100 GC for 10,000 points?

Shandril said: beethovengirl said:

I'll be curious to see if the Rewards Plus cards cards will have the same 3% for $600 per billing cycle cap.

"Actually it isn't cool because what you said isn't true and you said I said things that I didn't"

Oh, that's right...i forgot you were the one who has all the right answers...a thousand pardons oh great master of knowledge.....

palffyfan said: anakinskywalker said: palffyfan said: enabler said: budster said: ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

July 15, 2007

TIA,
Anakin

Its Cash Plus Rewards and over a year ago (I can't give you a better estimate since the card doesn't belong to me)...

thanks palffyfan...

thanks also for the scan...

Anakin

looks like it's time for me to break out the AMEX Blue, Just got an Email about using card for bill pay. Was surprised how many of my bills can be paid with it, Even my car insurance, So hitting the $6,500 should not take long. I know my wife will be happy with not having to keep track of which card to use for what, For now on it's Blue for everything that will take it.

ChrisV said: Chase does indeed have a Freedom Mastercard...my dad has one. It is a World Mastercard he got a pre-approval for in the mail.

yeah your right, i didn't know the mastercard version existed, but i googled chase freedom mastercard and got a lot of hits

DickWhitcomb said: I keep hearing 6,000 points for $50 GC is such a rip off over and over again. I agree.

However are people really that impatient that they can't wait for the dozen(s) of cards that offer $100 GC for 10,000 points?

thats with the Rewards Plus card, however, 10000 points = $100 with it

Is there any way to apply for the Chase Freedom Visa Signature (I want the option to get warranties on Refurbs) not through the Visa Signature site and to get the $250 sign up bonus?

If the Rewards Plus also goes under, I might just go with a BP Chase Card for my 5% gas...just I'll have to buy all my gas at BP.

So I guess the good news is my $200 worth of existing Chase Rewards will be worth $250 after 7/15. My Chase Rewards were capped at $300 per year so I should still earn a $250 check per year (I use the card for $500 - $600 per month on groceries).

Wayne

danboris, i believe you can apply for Freedom Cash Rewards Signature directly from Chase...The $250 bonus (actually $200, which is redeemable for $250) was offered on the regular (platinum) Freedom Rewards card, and, unfortunately, they aren't giving out the bonus at this time...

I had gotten the bonus when it was offered (which was a very short time period) and then later converted to the signature version....Anyone who has a credit line of at least $5,000 can convert a Freedom Rewards Card to the Signature Version.....

Although when you do so, they issue a new card with a new account number....hope that helps...

What is the change? I haven't got an email. Can you please provide detail.

scott1961 said: looks like it's time for me to break out the AMEX Blue, Just got an Email about using card for bill pay. Was surprised how many of my bills can be paid with it, Even my car insurance, So hitting the $6,500 should not take long. I know my wife will be happy with not having to keep track of which card to use for what, For now on it's Blue for everything that will take it.

I have a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card converted from AT&T Universal Reward card. Received a letter with a new card yesterday and saying I am still getting 5% Cash Back on everyday purchases. I am happy Chase will pay me 3% Cash Back for the top 3 spending categories besides everyday purchases

Love said: What is the change? I haven't got an email. Can you please provide detail.

Looks like it's new,
AMEX

Introducing American Express Bill Pay, a new and simple way to pay your bills online. With this service, you can easily pay bills from over 100 companies with your American Express Card.

Whether you choose to make one-time or set up automatic payments, American Express Bill Pay can help you streamline the way you pay your bills.

Earn points, miles or Cash Back by paying bills with an eligible, enrolled American Express Card
Ensure that your bills are paid on time with our automatic bill payment feature, or select the one-time payment feature that gives you the comfort of authorizing bill payment for each bill
Access one secure, convenient site to pay your bills and review payment history

Wireless
Insurance
Phone/Long Distance
Internet Service Providers
Cable/Satellite
Subscription Services

man this sucks, i haven't gotten my notice yet but...

I have two of these cards (one for me, one for the wife) Assuming I get the letter, my plan will be to set up auto charging of no more than three categories of bills to each card. Example, card 1 gets insurance, ezpass, and cable. That gets me 3% on items I was getting only 2% (thanks to a grandfathered fidelity card) previously. Stick the cards in the drawer, auto billpay them, and enjoy the extra 1%.

We knew it was coming, just make the best of it.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 137 38 394041
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.