• 1373839 40 41
  • Page
  • Text Only
busterbaxter said: I still haven't received the letter for my Cash Plus card which was opened last September. I am wondering if Chase is doing a phase-out like Citi Dividend in which cardmembers received letters at different times.

I haven't either and I opened mine October 2005. I also don't use it just for the 5% stuff either so I wonder if that makes any differences.

vyshnya said: busterbaxter said: I still haven't received the letter for my Cash Plus card which was opened last September. I am wondering if Chase is doing a phase-out like Citi Dividend in which cardmembers received letters at different times.

I haven't either and I opened mine October 2005. I also don't use it just for the 5% stuff either so I wonder if that makes any differences.

Same here. I got mine in 10/2005 and no letters.

I have two Cash Plus cards, one was opened in 03/03, and the other was opened in 12/06. I have not received any letters either.

I think I opened my card ~6/06. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.. I haven't received a letter yet but I knew this day would come.

Currently I use 3 cards:
1) Chase Cash + Rewards MC: 5% back on gas/groceries/drugstores (according to my account on chase.com this is still active @5%)
2) Chase Business Visa: 3% back on gas/restaurants/office supply/home improvement
3) Starwoods AMEX - 1% on all purchases.

Essentially I use cards #1 & #2 for those categories with the highest reward, and the AMEX for everything else...

Is there any other card I should consider at this point or are those still the best options? In particular, the Chase MC above no longer counts SuperWM as a grocery store so is there a card I can get which will and gives 5% back?

AMEX blue cash = 5% Cash Back on groceries, gas and drugstores however only after $6,500 of spending for the year.

I would go check out AMEX small business cards. If you are able to apply, you might be pleasantly surprised if you haven't looked at them already.

flight23 said: Currently I use 3 cards:
1) Chase Cash + Rewards MC: 5% back on gas/groceries/drugstores (according to my account on chase.com this is still active @5%)
2) Chase Business Visa: 3% back on gas/restaurants/office supply/home improvement
3) Starwoods AMEX - 1% on all purchases.

Well, in addition to a 5% gas/grocery/drugs and a 3% gas/restaurant/office/home, we have a Discover card to take advantage of the rotating 5% categories (the bonus is more like 6.25% because you can exchange $20 for $25 worth of gift cards from many vendors). The current 5% promo is at some department stores, home improvement places, Circuit City, and Barnes & Noble.

The categories do switch though so it's not for everyone. Next quarter, the 5% is on gas and summer fun (hotels, amusement parks etc).

If you need a 5% card for gas, groceries, and drugs without having brackets (AMEX Blue), check out the Citi Diamond Preferred rewards card. True, the rewards are in the form of points. But you get 6,000 points for signing. And at 10,000 points, you can trade in for one of many $100 gift cards. I hear that during the holiday season, they run a discount allowing you to get a $100 card for 9,000 points. If you do that, this is more of a 5.55% card for gift certs.

I was reading the Citi Diamond Preferred points info from the link and it looks like the 5-point program is only good for the first 12 months. I hope other 5% cards (without brackets) will be available before the end of those 12 months.

I recently signed up for the Costco AMEX Business card for 5% Gas/3% Dining/2% Travel/1% Everything Else, but would like a 5% card for grocery. After doing a quick report in Quicken, we spend over $1000 more on groceries than gas annually. That is $50 in rewards I would like to continue to receive. I guess we will use Citi for now. Thanks for the link.

I haven't received the letter from Chase either, but I'm sure we all will be affected if we actually get the letter or not. It was good while it lasted!

sc0rpio said:
I haven't received the letter from Chase either, but I'm sure we all will be affected if we actually get the letter or not. It was good while it lasted!

I'd better receive a letter notifying me of the change prior to them doing it. There are a few (usually beneficial changes like raising credit limit, decrease in APR, etc) where they only have to notify you within 30 days after the change but for most other changes to terms, you have to receive a notice at least 30 days prior to the change taking effect.

So did anyone else receive this letter. I haven't and it sounds weird that they'd send it only to very few people. Not gonna complain if I don't receive one hehe but I'm curious.

I have not received it but I'm guessing it will be in my next statement. (although I wouldn't mind if the program stayed in place!)

markkundinger said: I have not received it but I'm guessing it will be in my next statement. (although I wouldn't mind if the program stayed in place!)
No letter yet for me either, I was also thinking maybe it's tied to your statement date. So maybe those who have received the letter could tell us where in their cycle they got. Not a big deal for me anymore since I hit the $6,500 on my Blue Cash

Is the $100 bonus still alive? Anyone apply lately?

I added a poll in the quick summary of the following thread:

End of Cash Plus Rewards thread

Please vote there so we can get a clear view of what percentage of people have received the letter.
Thanks.

dr84 said: Is the $100 bonus still alive? Anyone apply lately?

I guess you haven't checked into FW for a really long time....not only can you not get the bonus, you can't the card anymore for over a year now...and those that still have Cash Plus are starting to receive letters about getting switched to the Freedom Card...

No doubt, the holders of Rewards Plus (the other 5% card) will get the same letters after they finish converting the Cash Plus customers...It appears from what we have seen, that Chase is ending the 5% program and switching everyone to the 3% deal...

Unfortunately, you also missed the chance to get a $250 bonus on the newer Freedom Card (3%) which was a very short term bonus that was also mentioned in a FW Thread a while back...

beatme said: I added a poll in the quick summary of the following thread:

Please vote there so we can get a clear view of what percentage of people have received the letter.
Thanks.

No letter for me yet. I'll be keeping my eye on these threads though to see how it progresses. I got my card 4/06.

For the Chase Cash Plus Rewards - unfortunately I don't have my original rewards program info from years ago. Is the $300 annual rewards limit standard from a card opened in 2005?

Kind of a bummer since I drive a ton and use it exclusively for EDP

I got no letter either.

For those with this card I detected what I beleive to be a programming error in the calculation of their points.

There was a checkout error at a MacDonalds and they charged 5.25 and then credited it back. From calculation (virtually all usage was everyday items, making this easier) it appears the original charge earned 1 point per dollar, but the credit back reduced the points by 5 points per dollar. They did not confirm an eror but did credit me back 26 points (admittedly such a small credit back was probably a keep cusotmer happy rather than an investigation).

Such a problem could occur if debits are coded differently than purchases (anyone know if this is true) and a programer unable to tell thetype of firm choose to treat all credits as everyday purchases (doing otherwise would make it possible to earn points by buying and returning).

While returns are rare on everyday items, and usually small, you may wish to look to see if they were handled correctly on your account.

yeah, this (buying something with 5% reward, returning it later and them deducting only 1% from the rewards) happened to me several times in the past, but I never made it my living

Got the letter today. Effective 10/1/07 I am being switched to the Chase Freedom reward program.

Rathipon said: Got the letter today. Effective 10/1/07 I am being switched to the Chase Freedom reward program.
Uh oh. I just got a letter for my Citi Diamond last week. Well if I don't go home, I can't ever get the letter, right?

Rathipon said: Got the letter today. Effective 10/1/07 I am being switched to the Chase Freedom reward program.

Got the letter here too 10/1 it is.

MileKing said: I have Chase Cash Plus Rewards that I received about a month ago using the older link found in this thread. Thanks! One thing I can't seem to locate is the link on the Chase page for redeeming the points that are earned. Where is it?

djscal said: AMEX blue cash = 5% Cash Back on groceries, gas and drugstores however only after $6,500 of spending for the year.

That card is a bit weak. It's really confusing how they have it set up... it's only 1% back on your first $6500. Only then do you start getting 5% back on gas/groceries/drugstores. So unless you're making a big purchase in January, you'll be missing out on a lot of your 5% back.

I would like to redeem some of my points. How do I do that? Please let me know where to go on the computer and in the chase.com/creditcards screen to redeem my points.

Still no letter here yet for the Chase Cash Plus Rewards card luckily. I've had it since April 2006. I already have a Chase Freedom so if they ever convert me I will have 2 I guess.

Got the dreaded letter for Citi Dividend AMEX down to 2%(effective Oct 13th) which I applied for September 2006.

RE: Chase Rewards Card

Got a letter today stating that effective 11/30/07 3% on gas UP TO $15 a month-which will appear as a statement credit. 1% on all other purchases.

Also as of 11/30 all accumulated points will be transferred to a statement credit(no more checks or gift cards).

Ugh, that's awful. If I get that I guess I'll be stuck with the Freedom card, my Citi Diamonds were nerfed a year ago. Can't think of anything paying better than 3% now (except maybe Citi Driver's Edge?)

GTFan said: Ugh, that's awful. If I get that I guess I'll be stuck with the Freedom card, my Citi Diamonds were nerfed a year ago. Can't think of anything paying better than 3% now (except maybe Citi Driver's Edge?)

pfcu (penfed.org) is giving 5% on gas.

Considering I am a cardmember with the Chase Freedom card with the old programme (3 fixed categories), can I apply for this Chase Freedom card again and get the $100 bonus as the reward programme is different (i.e. would i be considered to be a "new" cardmember considering the different reward programme (old one's called Chase Freedom and the new one is called Chase Freedom Enhanced?)

I so, this would allow us folks who signed up for teh $250 promo that ran last year to get in again on this $100 offer without having to cancel the old freedom card (and lose all our points in the old one too lol).

Thanks for someone knowledgeable to comment on this.

Chocoboat said: djscal said: AMEX blue cash = 5% Cash Back on groceries, gas and drugstores however only after $6,500 of spending for the year.

That card is a bit weak. It's really confusing how they have it set up... it's only 1% back on your first $6500. Only then do you start getting 5% back on gas/groceries/drugstores. So unless you're making a big purchase in January, you'll be missing out on a lot of your 5% back.

the AMEX simply cash card has 5% back of gas, no tiering.

http://www.bankaholic.com/credit-cards/best-gas-credit-cards/

So I know this thread is really old. But no one has commented on what happened as of 10/1/07. I don't remember if I got the letter or not (I don't get a bill in the mail), but as I check today on 1/15/08, I am still earning 5% on everyday purchases. I still see it when I click on "My Reward Details" and a quick calculation shows that I am in fact still getting the 5%.

Is this the same for others? Did I fit through some crack? I also recently applied for 2 Freedom Cards (me and my wife). I plan on doing the following:

Chase Cash Plus Rewards (5%): Gas, Groceries, Drug Stores
Chase Freedom Card 1 (3%): Cell phone, Cable/Internet, Fast Pass (tolls)
Chase Freedom Card 2 (3%): Everything else

Also with the Dividend Cards (AMEX/Master Card): I now have $30,000 worth of credit on those 2 cards. They have become completely useless to me. Any ideas on what I can use them for? Other than just letting them sit there.

Mine is still 5% too. Maybe if you spent too much and they thought they were taking a loss they would get you out of the program. Or it was just random.

I'm still 5%, I think I've probably received (15) $100 checks since getting this card.

whoDean said: I'm still 5%, I think I've probably received (15) $100 checks since getting this card.

I'm still getting 5% also. I wonder if they wait until the expiration date of the card to make the switch.

My friend is also still under the 5%.

For those who still have it, did you get a letter? My friend claims he didn't and I don't remember if I did or not. Did they target specific people? Are the doing it in phases? Did they just miss the deadline and everyone still has it? I'm just curious as to what makes us special, and how can we prolong it.

There is a discussion about the conversion here.

I was looking at my online statements, and saw that they have a column for inserts that they would have sent out if I received paper statements. I did not see one that would have changed my 5% rebates.

Can someone who had received a letter saying there 5% rebates were being changed check to see if they have an online insert as well.

It would be nice to figure out if:
Everyone got the cancellation of 5% notice
If not, what is different about those who didn't get the notice
Which direction is Chase leaning. Are they going to cancel everyone's 5% eventually, or if we find out what makes some accounts special, maybe people can get back on to the 5% rebates.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 1373839 40 41
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014