• 123 4 541
  • Page
  • Text Only
billrubin said: chuzzlewit said: Took only 3 days to get my 2 $50 checks! This deal rocks. Will close and apply again by Oct 31 for another $100. Also waiting for my wife's $100 too. I hope Chase offers this again in the near future
Why don't you leave it open? Closing accounts so quickly can't be good for your credit score, and if Chase sees people doing stuff like that they will be less likely to offer such generous bonuses in the future.

Greed

LeggsRobbins said: My contribution to this thread:

VW7 was dead (asked about the promo and they said the only one they were running was 5000 bonus points)

FWIW, I applied today using the VW7 code and was told the bonus was 10000 points. I'll update if / when I get the card and the points.

lookingdeals said: Greed
Greed is good. This goes beyond greed.

BTW, after starting to use my card again (I had not used it for a couple of years since there were better deals than the Freedom card), Chase decided to decline a couple of charges. They refused a $4000 tuition payment on Friday (which I did not find out about until today), and a $72 concert ticket purchase on Saturday. They never called me to say that they suspected a problem, and the Saturday decline was particularly annoying because the card was actually swiped. I had to call and when I did the first thing the system did was make me verify the recent transactions (including the rejected ones). During this time, it did allow me to make several smaller purchases using the card. The normal CSR connected me to the security department and the person there I spoke to promised me that the card is now cleared and future charges will go through. They'd better!

I am not happy about this, but given that I got the $100 bonus, I guess I will put up with it. Plus my bill just closed and I want to defer paying the $4000 for as long as I can (my Citi bill will not close until next week and I need to pay before then so my daughter can register for the spring semester later this week). But even when I had a problem with Citi calling me to verify transactions, they NEVER rejected one.

For those who want to check status, you can log on to your my account site in Chase if you have other cards. If you are approve, Chase will put the new card and your credit limit on that page.

Good Luck.

tgif777 said: For those who want to check status, you can log on to your my account site in Chase if you have other cards. If you are approve, Chase will put the new card and your credit limit on that page.

Good Luck.

Do you mean they will stick it there without having to register it?

Yes.

Thanks op! got $100 by cash rewards. Pretty smooth compared to citibank offers.

horserider said: Thanks.
I called and someone answered the phone.
pending!

tgif777 said: horserider said: Is that anywhere to check if I am approved?

Thanks

Took this from another thread. "1-888-338-2586 Enter your SSN for automated response."

Just called and verified my status using above number. Said they had my application and would let me know in writing in 30 days. I just applied on Sunday October 16th. No one answered the phone. Automated response system.

Is it bad to be "Under Review?" It said it'll notify me in the next 7-10 business days regarding their decision..

triggerhappy007 said: billrubin said:
My statement has closed and I did get the bonus points. I didn't get any extra points for my restaurant purchase on the "love the double" promotion I was supposed to have had on the account, but I think I will leave well enought alone.

Now to figure out where to order my $50 checks.

Are you sure this card works with love the double? I've tried 3 cards and none of them are elligible.

I just tried this card at the Love the Double website again and now it says I do not qualify .

billrubin said:
I just tried this card at the Love the Double website again and now it says I do not qualify .

Apparently there are couple kinds of Cash Reward card from Chase.

The one that had been discussed on this board is the Chase Cash Plus

Double rewards are for Chase Flexible Rewards, Chase Free Cash Rewards, Chase PerfectCard.

is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.

5. Points earned are not transferable, have no cash value and cannot be used as
payment of obligation to us. If there is any abuse of the Program, failure to follow
Program terms or any misrepresentation by you, all unredeemed points shall be
forfeited and no additional points shall accumulate. Maximum point accumulation
on purchases is 30,000 points per Calendar Year. (“Calendar Year” means the
twelve-month period beginning in January through December). Points from
separate, enrolled Accounts may not be combined onto one Account.

return222 said: is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.
What does that have to do with the rule that you posted??? And I personally can't see any benefit to getting a gift card instead of cash since you're giving up the points you would earn on that purchase. of course if you need a gift card to give as a gift, it could be worth having.

boxerbrief said: Is it bad to be "Under Review?" It said it'll notify me in the next 7-10 business days regarding their decision..

Don't know. Applied on 10/16. Called 1-888-338-2586 on 10/20. Said card was approved and will receive card in 10 business days. P.S. I already have a Chase Freedom Card (3% on gas. 1% on everything else) and the 5% Citi card and the 5% AT&T card. With two drivers, high gas prices, and buying groceries, one can hit the $300 reward limit pretty quick on the Citi and AT&T even when used only only for gas and groceries.

i am guessing, when you have to buy something, GC may be better.
for buying with cash with check requested, you earn $50 + 1% of $50 Cash Back
but with GC requested and buy, you earn $50 + approximately 8% tax saved on the $50, b/c store does not tax on the amount paid by GC?

double post

gomakeitreal said: i am guessing, when you have to buy something, GC may be better.
for buying with cash with check requested, you earn $50 + 1% of $50 Cash Back
but with GC requested and buy, you earn $50 + approximately 8% tax saved on the $50, b/c store does not tax on the amount paid by GC?

Tax is still charged. It is deducted from your GC the same way you would pay for it normally.

billrubin said: return222 said: is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.
What does that have to do with the rule that you posted??? And I personally can't see any benefit to getting a gift card instead of cash since you're giving up the points you would earn on that purchase. of course if you need a gift card to give as a gift, it could be worth having.

actually I had a question about if they tell you when you reach your 30,000 limits in a "calendar year". I guess my card will start over in Jan next year.

I strongly doubt they tell you when you've hit the limit for the year. It's not like they want you to stop using the card once they no longer have to pay the rebates! If anything, they want you to use it even more!!!

billrubin said: I strongly doubt they tell you when you've hit the limit for the year. It's not like they want you to stop using the card once they no longer have to pay the rebates! If anything, they want you to use it even more!!!

Does anyone know if the 10,000 bonus points are used as part of the 30,000 point yearly limit? Or are they independent of the 30,000 point calendar year limit? They're BONUS points but that doesn't mean they can't count towards the yearly cap of 30,000 points.

If it works the same as Citibank (and I expect that it does), then yes, the 10,000 count as part of the 30,000.

tgif777 said: For those who want to check status, you can log on to your my account site in Chase if you have other cards. If you are approve, Chase will put the new card and your credit limit on that page.

Good Luck.

tgif777 is correct. I have a Chase Freedom card (3% gas, 1% everything else). Was approved and the new card and limit was there when I logged in today along with the info for the Freedom card. Don't even have the Chase Cash Reward Plus card yet. Was surprised by the high limit though my other card has a higher limit. Hope Chase doesn't automatically close my other card as I use that for everything else BUT gas and groceries to get 1% Cash Back and have some automatic payments attached to that card. Have seen postings that Citi has a bad habit of closing other reward cards if you signup for new Citi reward cards.

Got first statements today.
FYI,
10000 bonus points is there but the purchase made at WalMart (not WalMart Supercenter) is counted as 1%

Was there ever any question about WalMart purchases? It's just Super WalMart that is an issue because they apparently are coded as a supermarket.

Got my first statement today, with 10000 bonus points! Two $50 checks are now on the way, woohoo!!

Just called to apply and after spending 20 minutes applying, I was told that all offers are only 5000 bonus points now.

return222 said: is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.

There is one minor advantage to requesting gift cards instead. Back in 2002 I racked up a $1300 CashBack bonus on a US Bank debit card in a year, which was reported to the IRS (actually received a 1099 in the mail for it). It's my understanding that banks report large cash rewards to the IRS, but do NOT report gift cards. If you expect to be cashing out a lot of rebates this may be worth considering.

Mailman said: return222 said: is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.

There is one minor advantage to requesting gift cards instead. Back in 2002 I racked up a $1300 CashBack bonus on a US Bank debit card in a year, which was reported to the IRS (actually received a 1099 in the mail for it). It's my understanding that banks report large cash rewards to the IRS, but do NOT report gift cards. If you expect to be cashing out a lot of rebates this may be worth considering.

One would think that any Cash Back bonus should be non-taxable. After all we are ultimately the ones paying the merchant fees the merchant pays the credit card issuer. I'd be real upset if I had to pay taxes on a Cash Back bonus.

i have to apply thru the phone?? what happen if i work (undertable).. do they still want me?? of course i not going to tell them..

Penster said: Just called to apply and after spending 20 minutes applying, I was told that all offers are only 5000 bonus points now.

NOT TRUE: Just got my Sunday newspaper. Ad in the coupon flyer for CHASE PLUS REWARDS VISA CARD. 10,000 points bonus. Expires Novemnber 30, 2005. Promotion code: MZ5.

mathfaster said: Penster said: Just called to apply and after spending 20 minutes applying, I was told that all offers are only 5000 bonus points now.

NOT TRUE: Just got my Sunday newspaper. Ad in the coupon flyer for CHASE PLUS REWARDS VISA CARD. 10,000 points bonus. Expires Novemnber 30, 2005. Promotion code: MZ5.

Same with mine, except my promo code was MY8.

so WalMart supcenter would be 5% in your opinion ? Thanks

billrubin said: Was there ever any question about WalMart purchases? It's just Super WalMart that is an issue because they apparently are coded as a supermarket.

I just saw one today in the Minneapolis Star Tribune that gave a MG0 (not the letter o, but ZERO) code. Also for 10,000 bonus points. Expires November 30, 2005.

Anybody know what bureau they are pullling in Cali? I have too many inquries on my Experian and don't want to take the hit.

I applied for chess card n got approved. However, I did not use the code. What should I do? Any suggestion plz....

Mailman said: return222 said: is there any advantage in requesting a gift card rather than the $50 check. I only see $50 check. So I can't request less than $50.

How did you get $1300. I thought the max allowed is $300. I actually like my Citi Shell card better since it rebates me with cash right away every month. But for some strange reasons, all the Shell stations near me are changing to Chevron. I really don't like the point system since you will not collect all the loose change.

oh em gee...I just spent 18 minutes on the phone applying, half of which was dedicated to reading me the disclaimer.

jkimcpa said: oh em gee...I just spent 18 minutes on the phone appling, half of which was dedicated to reading me the disclaimer.

Which is why they use Indian application processors. You'd think the web would be cheaper for them but NO you have to go via the phone application process to get your 10,000 points. I spent 17 minutes and then had to ask what the points were for the promotion code to make sure I was getting 10,000 and not 5,000. I COULD NOT BELIEVE they would spend that much time reading me the fine print. She had to ask if I was still there when she had finished the fine print litany.

mathfaster said: jkimcpa said: oh em gee...I just spent 18 minutes on the phone appling, half of which was dedicated to reading me the disclaimer.

Which is why they use Indian application processors. You'd think the web would be cheaper for them but NO you have to go via the phone application process to get your 10,000 points. I spent 17 minutes and then had to ask what the points were for the promotion code to make sure I was getting 10,000 and not 5,000. I COULD NOT BELIEVE they would spend that much time reading me the fine print. She had to ask if I was still there when she had finished the fine print litany.

I have a theory that they make you call to calculate efficiency of using the indian call center.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 123 4 541
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014