• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I want to know if I can open investment account under minor name, and my name as secondary. So that I have to pay capital gain on the lower tax bracket. I know you can have bank/cd account and you don't have to pay tax on the first $750 under their name. Just want to do for Investment account so capital gain comes under lower tax.

Any one knows or do this?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm fairly certain you can do this. I also believe that this would legally make the money the child's. In short, if the kid is paying the taxes (filing) it's the kid's cash. You'd be acting as custodian of the money, and the kid would have a strong case for kicking your rear (literally as well as in court) if you withdrew everything when they were 17 and closed the account.

Long term capital gains taxes are pretty low right now. I don't know that I would go through this pain.

Just remember, I'm some know nothing on t3h intarwebs.

The easiest way to do this is a custodial account. I have several setup for grandchildren through Sharebuilder. The money does belong to the kids, and they can access it after they reach 18 years of age.

UGMA - Uniform Gift to Minors Act

RJL1 said: [Q]UGMA - Uniform Gift to Minors Act

Replaced with UTMA - Uniform Transfer to Minors Act - in most states by now.

[Q]So that I have to pay capital gain on the lower tax bracket.

What you are proposing will not work. If an auditor catches you, he will readjust both your claim and your child's as if the capital gain was yours.

Up to $1600 investment income can be legally classified as such.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.