• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have a friend who is on an H-1B visa, with a greencard
application in process. She's applying for a home mortgage.
In the mortgage application, there is a line asking if one
is a US citizen or permanent resident, which obviously she
is not (yet). If she says no, will this hurt her application
process? Will the bank require something of her ? Anyone
have any experience with this ?

Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did anyone try to get a FHA mortgage on H1B visa?

InspectorFox (Apr. 28, 2006 @ 11:18p) |

fatcool said: <blockquote><hr>What your VISA status does not matter. We, lenders get you guys in a higer risk category w... (more)

raise3 (May. 27, 2006 @ 10:20a) |

raise3 said: <blockquote><hr>fatcool said: <blockquote><hr>What your VISA status does not matter. We, lenders get you gu... (more)

Jake79 (May. 27, 2006 @ 10:59a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm not 100% certain about this but I think you can still get a mortgage on a visa. My company is a huge international company and there are plenty of peeople who are here on working visas. And I know they all have mortgages.

This line is a standard line on all credit applications (credit card, mortgage etc.) But, they hardly ask for copy of your GC / Citizenship etc. I have seen most of the people just checking the box and that's pretty much it.

I remember buying my first house on H-1B. The mortgage agent was at our house, filling up the application (~10 years back). He asked me if I had GC, I said it is in the process, he just moved on with the next question in the App. Then I saw, he had silently checked the option for Citizen / Permanent resident box.

Good luck with your house / mortgage hunting.

I bought my first home when I was in H1-B visa , the mortgage was from Wells Fargo and the mortgage agent took copy of my H1-B INS approval paper work.

I think if you lived in the same state for more than 1 year with H1B visa, they consider that as permanent resident, its kinda a grey area making that claim. And yes, I know someone who bought his house with that status with mortgage.

- LS

If she claims she is a citizen or permanent resident while being a H1-B visa worker, she has committed mortgage fraud.

I got my first mortgage back when I was on H1B. I don't think it should affect your friend's application. She will most likely be asked to provide a copy of the H1B visa stamp and/or I-94.

Don't lie about being US citizen or PR. Lenders are more likely to ask for copies of green card etc nowadays due to tighter checks to prevent terrorist related financial transactions etc. When I re-financed, my lender asked for copies of mine front and back.

If one has lived for 1 year or more in a state on H1B, one will become a resident of the state (vs part-year resident or non-resident) for income tax purpose as well as things like enrolling in colleges etc (you pay resident tuition). But I doubt one can claim to be a US permanent resident, keyword being permanent. H1B is non-immigrant visa, so it is for people who have a permanent residence outside the US to be in the US temporarily.

Should not be a problem, but I think she might need to put down 20% down or get PMI.



Yes, you can get a mortgage on H1. However, some people have reported that some smaller banks/lenders will ask for a minimum 10% down on the home due to visa status. These incidents occurred in Maryland and Boston.

A friend of mine on his H1-B has got his mortgage with 5% down for his condo in Chicago. As said, the upfront cost might vary from place to place.

- CCG.

H1b wasn't a problem for me. (with 5% down and got the best advertised rate too.)


umj said: [Q]This line is a standard line on all credit applications (credit card, mortgage etc.) But, they hardly ask for copy of your GC / Citizenship etc. I have seen most of the people just checking the box and that's pretty much it.

I remember buying my first house on H-1B. The mortgage agent was at our house, filling up the application (~10 years back). He asked me if I had GC, I said it is in the process, he just moved on with the next question in the App. Then I saw, he had silently checked the option for Citizen / Permanent resident box.

Good luck with your house / mortgage hunting.

Be Careful with this question - thee was a newsreport (newspaper) - the law enforcement authorities were looking for someone, got a hold of someone else with a similar name. Could not get anything on this person they wrongly arrested, found this question wrongly marked and tried to deport him just based on this question being incorrectly marked. Regardless of how the broker marks this question, it is your signature in the end.

I am on H1B visa and I was able to buy a house. There is no legal restriction of buying a house as you stay here for a long period of time.

I guess that each lender has its own guidelines.

Good luck!

swhtang said: [Q]I got my first mortgage back when I was on H1B. I don't think it should affect your friend's application. She will most likely be asked to provide a copy of the H1B visa stamp and/or I-94.

Don't lie about being US citizen or PR. Lenders are more likely to ask for copies of green card etc nowadays due to tighter checks to prevent terrorist related financial transactions etc. When I re-financed, my lender asked for copies of mine front and back.

If one has lived for 1 year or more in a state on H1B, one will become a resident of the state (vs part-year resident or non-resident) for income tax purpose as well as things like enrolling in colleges etc (you pay resident tuition). But I doubt one can claim to be a US permanent resident, keyword being permanent. H1B is non-immigrant visa, so it is for people who have a permanent residence outside the US to be in the US temporarily.

Not true in my case. I have been living in my city for 4 years with H1B visa but I am not consider resident if I want to study at the university here.

Absolutely yes...You can get any loans if you are on H1B....They dont care about your INS status...They care about their profits from APR and processing fees....

I bought house with H1 visa. its no problem. they took copy of my visa. Thanks

Penfed had no problems giving me a mortgage on a work visa.

No problem in getting a loan. BUT some companies may not give you HELOC due to H1b. We got rejected from Priceline Mortgage. But finally they sold to Citimortgage - they are ready to give us.

Kristiana said: [Q]I have a friend who is on an H-1B visa, with a greencard
application in process. She's applying for a home mortgage.
In the mortgage application, there is a line asking if one
is a US citizen or permanent resident, which obviously she
is not (yet). If she says no, will this hurt her application
process? Will the bank require something of her ? Anyone
have any experience with this ?

Thanks in advance.

You have two choices:
1. Just check the box says you are US Citizen (Don't check GC one since this usually will trigger them to ask copy of your GC), if you check US Citizen, they will not ask you anything.
2. Or do the 'honor' way by telling the thruth even though it's guarantee that you will have limited lender that willing to give you loan and also guarantee that you will get at least .25-.5% higher rate.

We did it in July (5% down). They will likely ask for letter from her employer/attorney to proof that her greencard application in process.

What your VISA status does not matter. We, lenders get you guys in a higer risk category with points, Higher rates or 20% down.

Got my first mortgage when on F1 (OPT). Answer truthfully. If no go, move on to next lender. There are plenty of lenders eager to hand you money. You must have AAA credit - this has no exemption.


I don't know how lenders look at it, but I have some friends who recently (past month) purchased a home under the same conditions (H-1B and dependent with green card apps in process). They closed with no problems. She should be careful about lying on the application, if she chooses to check that she is a PR when she's not (yet). It would probably not be a major thing if it got caught, as she is in the process, but you never know.

YES. Try costco.com/lendingtree or lendingtree.com/Delta

Ditto in August. They asked for letter from employer to that effect.

Vangy said: [Q]We did it in July (5% down). They will likely ask for letter from her employer/attorney to proof that her greencard application in process.

Common guys..I have been in H1B visa and not yet cleared my labor certification stage...I have 3 properties in my name including primary mortgage and 2 home equity loans on primary and secondary properties...Chase manhattan didnt even ask about my immigration status..WaMu also didnt ask for my immigration status..BofA didnt ask for my immigration status for equity loans...So, there is no point in continuing this thread..Just go ahead and buy as much properties as you can without worrying about your immigration status.

The latest trends are banks that advertise mortgages for illegal aliens ! Of course these are non-standard mortages with higher rates, but I was surprised this is legal, even for the bank. Of course the bank is taking some risk that the illegal alien gets deported and then defaults, but as long as houses keep going up in value, they figure it is not that much of a risk.

Almost all banks will take an H1B but sometimes will require more to be put down (but you can always mix and match banks to find the best combination for first and second mortgages). Sometimes the other Visas are a bit tougher but those are ones for people that arent legally allowed to work in the country (where an H1B is specifically for work). There are even loans out there now for people that dont have a visa or anything but just a TIN (tax id number). The lenders on these are still typically smaller local banks or foreign banks that hold the loan in their portfolio but we all now what client they serve (illegal immigrants).

Just like mentioned above, you can definitely get a mortage on an H1B. We got our first on student F1 visa (5 year). Of course, we didn't exactly have many options for lenders. But you know with 20-30% down, they know that if you default, there is enough equity to cover their backs so you still get offers. We later got H1B and refinanced and we weren't asked a single question about that, maybe because we had been making good on payments for 3 years already. We refinanced again (no cost and 1.5% less rate so couldn't pass up) a year later still on H1B with visa expiring 9 months (and got renewed for another 3 years right before we got our GC) from date we refinanced. Again, no questions asked from lender (Wells-Fargo).

So my intuition is that it's hard to get the foot in the door with H1B visa especially if you have a short credit history but once you have a first mortgage, lenders tend to pay less attention to your visa situation. They look at your payments, your income and your equity and don't care as much about your visa status.

I think your friend is you, good luck anyway

Does Penfed ask proof of US citizenship or Permanent residency ? Will they offer a mortgage to H1B visa holder if they are waiting for the green card approval (currently in 485 stage).


My parents bought a house under a B1/B2 visa in the 90s... They did put down 50% though... My .02..

mansa said: [Q]Does Penfed ask proof of US citizenship or Permanent residency ? Will they offer a mortgage to H1B visa holder if they are waiting for the green card approval (currently in 485 stage).
The only proof they ask for is a copy of the visa and I-94 plus a letter from HR about your employment.

Did anyone try to get a FHA mortgage on H1B visa?

fatcool said: [Q]What your VISA status does not matter. We, lenders get you guys in a higer risk category with points, Higher rates or 20% down.

so, like the case we have now, we plan to pay 20% down, it should be okay for us to get the best rate as a H1B visa holder? credit score is over 760..

raise3 said: [Q]fatcool said: [Q]What your VISA status does not matter. We, lenders get you guys in a higer risk category with points, Higher rates or 20% down.

so, like the case we have now, we plan to pay 20% down, it should be okay for us to get the best rate as a H1B visa holder? credit score is over 760..

There are no issues on getting better Rates on 1st (80%) loan. But some companies (Priceline mortgage) may not give you the option on HELOC (they denied for me, due to my status - no green card). In your case, if you are ready for 20% down, you should be getting the same rate that others get. In fact, they do not ask you if you are on H1 before giving you the rate!! It comes in to picture when they ask for documents after confirmation of the rate. good luck.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014