• 1 23459
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just received my sunday newspaper and in the coupons section I saw an ad for the Chase Cash Plus credit card and then on another page I saw an add for the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard. It seems that this new mastercard is similar to the Citibank Diamond Preferred Card in that it lets you earn 5 points/$ at Gas stations supermarkets, and drugstores. It doesn't appear to limit it to a year but there is not much information and the card is not on Chase's website so I don't now what the award redemptions are. Apparently you can use it for gift certificates 5,000 points for $50 or get $50 Cash Back for 5,000 points. Also, you can redeem for air travel although they don't provide any information on how many points it takes. The phone number to apply is 1-866-347-8534 and the bonus code is XZD for 5,000 bonus points when you apply. Also, the card gives you 0% APR for 12 months. This offer is valid until 1/31/06.

Hopefully, someone has a link to the card or nows what the various redemption levels are.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
just an interesting observation...in case any have any doubt that the Rewards Plus will be phased out after they finish ... (more)

craig10x (Jul. 25, 2007 @ 11:49a) |

A quick call to CS and the CSR I spoke with said my account was still a rewards plus card with 5% everyday purchases and... (more)

WWScoobyDo (Jul. 25, 2007 @ 1:48p) |

Now its back to showing Rewards Plus online. Well that makes me feel a little bit better. Someone at Chase is screwing... (more)

WWScoobyDo (Jul. 26, 2007 @ 10:06a) |

The phone number to apply is 1-866-347-8534 and the bonus code is XZD for 5,000 bonus points when you apply. Also, the card gives you 0% APR for 12 months. This offer is valid until 1/31/06.

Pardon my intrusion, but this had to be done. Too many people are confused. Hopefully this clears it up.....

Chase CASH PLUS Rewards **versus** REWARDS PLUS Please read
    Both are offered as Visa and Mastercard, but they are not the same.
    CASH PLUS- Max of $300 in rewards per year. REWARDS PLUS- Max of $750
    CASH PLUS- Points good for Cash only REWARDS PLUS- Cash, Gift Cards, Travel, Merchandise
    CASH PLUS- Redeem points at $50 without loosing value. REWARDS PLUS- Wait until $100
    CASH PLUS- $50 (Visa)-$100 (MC) bonus for signing up. REWARDS PLUS- $0 (Visa)-$50 (MC) bonus for signing up.
    CASH PLUS- can be converted into REWARDS PLUS without applying for a new card. Just redeem your points first.
    ~FFGuru

leenga said: Chase PerfectCard Platinum Mastercard

1-888-593-6251
Apply by July 31, 2006
Offer Code L5K

$50 Cas.h Back or Gift Card after first purchase. (actually earn 5,000 bonus points which you can then redeem)

3 PerfectCard points on all eligible gas purchases
1 PerfectCard point on all other eleigible purchases
0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transferes for up to 12 months
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just called to find out additional information and although the travel department wasn't open to offer information on the specific airline redemption rules as well as the particular caps if any, I was able to find out that the points do not expire on this card and also that you can redeem Cash Back in intervals of 2500 points for $25 and gift certificates in increments of 2500 points = $25.00. The person I spoke to told me that most likely the gift certificates available are similar to those offered in Chase's other rewards program meaning Darden's restaurant, Gap, Toys R' Us and a few other. Clearly the gift card option is far more limited than the citibank thankyou network. That being said since you can get 1% CashBack at the lowest redemption level this mitigates the weak gift card offering. I am far more interested in the airline travel though since this could be a very lucrative option and might actually be better than the thankyou network.

JC

chase cash plus is a carbon copy of citi dividend

sounds like chase rewards plus is carbon copy of Citi ThankYou network

Who are these geniuses at chase getting paid big $$ to copycat?? They must hire the same copycats that lurk at FWF

Actually the Chase Rewards Plus is not a carbon copy of the Diamond Preferred Rewards Card issued by citibank for several reasons. 1)The Chase Rewards plus card offers 5X points on everyday spend not just for the first 12 months like the Diamond Prefferred but permanently (ie. until chase decides to change it.) 2)The Diamond Preferred Card does not give you a full 1% Cash Back if you redeem for cash but rather gives you (3000 points = $15 statement credit; 17,000 points = $100 statement credit, 5000 points = $25 statement credit etc.) Also, the Chase CashBack rewards come in the form of a check rather than a statement credit. 3) The points on the Diamond Preferred Card expire after 5 years (if I'm not mistaken) vs. the Chase Rewards plus points never expiring. 4) The number of options available through the thankyou network is more significant than the Chase Rewards card. 5)The airline redemptions from the advertisement require 21 days advance notice and a $25 fee vs. Citibanks 14 day advance notice and a $35 fee.

Things still unknown about this card are the number of points for various airline rewards. Will there be a cap (dollar limit) on air rewards like the Chase Travel Plus and MBNA Worldpoints card have. Will this card offer 1st class airline tickets or just coach. Will the card let you book on any airline if space is available or just in certain fare classes like the ThankYou network requires. Also, will you be able to choose your itinerary or will you only get to select the dates and then chase chooses the flights to put you on (ala MBNA worldpoints). Also, will you have to pay taxes and fees on your tickets and if so are they the actual taxes and fees associated with a ticket or a much inflated amount of taxes and fees as Global impact charges. On another forum it has been reported that customer have redeemed tickets to Europe that would have cost $800 and global impact charged them about $150 in taxes while the airline website showed only about $50 in taxes. Also, the Citibank Thankyou Network lets you earn points for shopping online with specific merchants and using a ThankYou network enrolled card which chase does not appear to offer at this point.

I feel though that this card has the potential to be a great card though if the airline rewards mimick the Citibank ThankYou Network redemption schedule and Chase charges only normal taxes because if I want to fly somewhere (where the points redeemed are worth more than 1%) I can redeem the points for an airline ticket but if not than I can still redeem the points for a full 1% CashBack rather than having to get a giftcard which then reduces my future point earnings at that particular merchant since I can't put it on a credit card and also I have to select a specific merchant rather than pocketing the cash and choosing how I please to spend or save it. Additionally, with the points never expiring one has more flexibility in redemption options since you can amass more points toward a higher award where the poibts could be more valuable. Afterall if all of your spending was in the everyday spend categories and you wanted a ticket to Europe at 50,000 points that means you would have to spend $10,000 over 5 years or $2000 every year. Not everyone spends this much. In fact, I think the average consumer spends between $1500 and $2000 a year on a visa or mastercard credit card. So this means some of the higher valued items would be out their redemption league with a 5 year point expiration. Plus, as I've mentioned before any of Chase's rewards programs are available on their partner cards like St. Judes, World Wildlife Fund, American Medical Association, the San Diego Zoo, their various College credit cards for alumni and college students which means that in addition to supporting an organization you can earn these lucrative rewards. This option is not available with Citibank.

didYOUsearch said: chase cash plus is a carbon copy of citi dividend

sounds like chase rewards plus is carbon copy of Citi ThankYou network

Who are these geniuses at chase getting paid big $$ to copycat?? They must hire the same copycats that lurk at FWF

Hey! I don't begrudge YOUR billable hours! You know how careful you have to be when you reuse project work for a 2nd client? You have to make sure EVERY reference to the first client has been changed. That's work, I'll have you know.

Joe, nice summary of the differences between the 2 programs....at first blush the programs looked similar, but when you analyze it in depth, the differences become apparent.

unknownshopper said:

Hey! I don't begrudge YOUR billable hours! You know how careful you have to be when you reuse project work for a 2nd client? You have to make sure EVERY reference to the first client has been changed. That's work, I'll have you know.
yeah it can be embarassing when the previous client's name is left on the caption of a pleading

This card is really new. Like the OP said: cannot find "Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard" on the Chase website. Will check the flyers in the paper tomorrow. Wonder if this is a regional offer.

Chase Credit Card List

Mathfaster,

When Chase launched the Chase Cash Plus Rewards card they did not list it on their website for almost a month after the flyers in the newspapers came out. However, there were links to this card on the internet doing a google or A9 search. On the other hand, doing a google or A9 search for the Chase Rewards Plus credit card shows absolutely no results except people who mistakenly called the Chase Cash Plus Rewards card the Chase Rewards Plus card. (I know they have very similar names and even when I called Chase tonight the representatives thought I was talking about the Cash Plus card rather than the Rewards Plus card.) Hopefully information will be forthcoming shortly though I doubt that since Chase is not very upfront about their rewards programs since they merged with Bank One. In the good old days chase use to have a great website www.chasetravelrewards.com for their chase Travel Rewards program and their other rewards program had a website as well (the name escapes me right now). Unfortunately after Chase merged with Bank One and changed their rewards programs the information started disappearing. For instance, I used to be a Chase Travel Rewards card holder and in June received a mailer telling me the great news that I was being converted to a Chase Travel Plus card that had a $29 annual fee versus my $0 annual fee and that the program was being enhanced by increasing the number of points for various rewards and decreasing the cap for airline tickets in addition to losing the benefit of converting the points to continental at a 1 point to 1 continental mile ratio up to 25,000 points per year. I was also informed that there would be a new website with all of the benefits of the new program at www.ichoosemyrewards.com. Well, I patiently waited until August 2005 approximately 1 month after the website was supposed to show up and it never did. Ironically enough, the website still doesn't exist almost 6 months after the conversion. Therefore, I highly doubt that we will see much detailed information about this card and redemption levels anytime soon. I wish Chase was more transparent but I guess they took the saying "a sucker is born every second" literally and thus want to entice people to apply for cards without knowing what the benefits and rewards are. At least Citibank, American Express, and MBNA are upfront about their rewards programs. I even tried to get a copy of the rewards book for this particular program tonight from a CSR at Chase Rewards headquarters and was told that I couldn't receive it because I was not a cardholder and it contained privacy information that was specific to cardholders. I laughed at the guy and told him that I have received the same privacy statement for all of my Chase cards and this is the first time I have ever been denied detailed information about a rewards program from a credit card company. Lets be honest, Chase has the Chase Value Miles Card, the Chase Flexible Rewards Card, the Chase Travel Plus Card, the Chase Rewards Plus Card, and several other cards and when you go to their website they give you the most bare bones information about the rewards options. Why can' they be transparent. Probably because they don't want to let their competitors know what they are offering and also because they don't want their customers to know what they are going to get from a card until they have them locked in. Also, I find it ironic that alot of the affinity cards offered from Chase like the St. Judes Card, American Medical Association, World Wildlife Fund, San Diego Zoo, and their college and alumni credit cards can all have any of the chase rewards program applied to them yet the only option chase's website shows is the Flexible Rewards Select program which costs $59. Why because it costs chase extra to offer this in addition to donating money to respective organizations. Therefore, they don't have to give out rewards to a lot of cardmembers since they are unaware that their card could have rewards added. It is all about improving the bottem line.

With that being said, I like chase as a credit card company and have not had any problems with them over the years although I don't like their secrecy about various options available to cardmembers.

Joe1690 said: Also, I find it ironic that alot of the affinity cards offered from Chase like the St. Judes Card, American Medical Association, World Wildlife Fund, San Diego Zoo, and their college and alumni credit cards can all have any of the chase rewards program applied to them yet the only option chase's website shows is the Flexible Rewards Select program which costs $59. Why because it costs chase extra to offer this in addition to donating money to respective organizations. Therefore, they don't have to give out rewards to a lot of cardmembers since they are unaware that their card could have rewards added. It is all about improving the bottem line.

Yeah I read this when you posted it before, but I'm still not convinced. Not that I don't believe you can get the rewards and the affinity card, just that I'm not sure that the affinity program is getting its cut. With those schools for example (mine is listed but I don't have the card), how do you know that chase doesn't have an agreement to give them a percentage of the total profit that their card program generates? I wouldn't want to be inadvertently profiting at their expense.

Joe1690,

I have two Chase Cards. My impresssion is that the two credit operations have not been merged as yet. The Chase Cash Plus Rewards and my Chase Freedom card both have two different grace periods. Also, one is Visa and one MasterCard. Bank One merged with FNB of Chicago. FNB of Chicago was a big VISA card issuer. Having worked in IT banking for 15 years it takes a while to merge IT and operations so I think the web gives the appearance of a single company but I'm betting it hasn't happened yet. Yeah, I GOOGLED the card as well and came up empty as well. Setting options on a card is just a matter of setting a flag on an account record. That's why you see so many cards but in reality it's just one set of processing logic. Flip a a few bytes on and off and you can charge annual fees, change the points levels. Just a matter of how flexible the system design was.

I agree that the two websites only give the appearence of having been merged and that there is a lot of back-end work to still be complete. However, some of the information has been integrated becaue I can see my chase and bank one accounts on either website. I am happy that Chase will ultimately be relying upon their website and technology rather than the bank one technology because quite frankly the Bank One website is very antiquated looking and doesn't offer the flexibility and ease of use of the Chase Website. For instance on the chase website you can set multiple bank accounts up to pay your bill but on the bank one website you can only choose one bank account. That being said, with the representative I spoke with today, she told me Chase is moving back towards issuing more mastercards than visa's because mastercard is willing to give them the better deal. The reason I asked was that I was suprised that the Cash Plus Card was now being advertised as a mastercard rather than a visa. I'm sure once their technology all gets integrated the various websites will be much improved but to be honest something needs to be done with the choosemyrewards.com website. It is so clunky and outdated it isn't even funny. MBNA has great technology as does Citibank and American Express.

Also, about a previous poster's skepticism about the charity or organization earning their cut on Chase's website and on almost every statement I get for my WWF card it clearly states that they will earn 1% of the amount I spend on my card. If this is not occuring then that is false advertising. I specifically questioned several chase representatives about this and they assured me that I would earn my points and the affinity group would get their cut. I can't imagine otherwise since many affinity cards offered by MBNA come with their worldpoints program and the various affinity groups advertise the percentages they earn on each purchase. With that being said almost no affinity group at MBNA earns more than a 0.5% of net purchases. So even factoring in the crummy worldpoints program the most they are really paying out is about 1.5 - 2% and more likely only 1%. Also, another reason I don't doubt that the various affinity groups are getting their cut is that the APR on my account cannot be lowered below 13.99% as that is the lowest APR offered on the card for me yet new applicants can get a 10.49% APR. So I think where Chase makes up the difference is in charging customers who have the rewards program added to their affinity card a higher APR. After all I get offers from Chase all the time for 7.99 Fixed APRs, Southwest Credit Card with an 11.99% APR, Continental with a 11.49% APR etc which are all well below the advertised rates. So clearly, it appears that this is how Chase is paying for their extra payout in the form of rewards. Luckily for me I don't carry a balance so it means nothing whether I have a higher APR. And if I ever decide to carry a balance I have various other credit cards with much lower APRs than 13.99, 2 of which are Fixed below 8%.

Here's a scan of the ad:
Chase Rewards Plus MasterCard

Fine Print:

1 Five points will be earned for each dollar of net purchases made at retail establishments that classify their merchant location for Visa/MasterCard as a gas station, grocery store or Drugstore, and one point for each dollar of net purchases everywhere else. Awards are subject to program restrictions, including 21 day advance ticketing and Saturday night stay. A service fee of up to $25.00 will be charged for the use of Reward Headquarters services for redemption of air travel. Points are not earned on balance transfers, cash advances, any checks that access your account, overdraft protection advances, travelers checks, finance changes, or fees of any kind including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of the cardmember's account. Maximum point accumulation is 75,000 points annually on net purchases. The maximum cash reward redemption is $600 per calendar year. Once enrolled, your rewards disclosure will be sent to you containing all program guidelines and benefits.

2 After account opening and first purchase you will receive 5,000 bonus points, which can be redeemed for 1% Cash Back or a $50 gift certificate. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after your first purchase for bonus points to post to your account.

3 Offer subject to credit approval. Elite and Premium Pricing: An introductory APR of 0% fixed on purchases and balance transfers effective for the first 12 billing cycles following the opening of your account; after that, an APR of 12.74% varaible for Elite Pricing or 16.74% variable for Premium Pricing applies. The APR for cash advances is 22.74% variable or, if your purchase APR is 21 .74% variable, then 26.74% variable. Standard Pricing: An introductory APR of 0% fixed on balance transfers effective for the first 3 billing cycles following the opening of your account; after that, or if you do not transfer a balance wfth your application, an APR of 21.74% variable applies. The APR for purchases from account opening is 21.74% variable. The APR for cash advances is 26.74% variable. You agree that we will consider your application for an Elite Pricing account and that we reserve the right, based upon our evaluation of information furnished by you or others (including credit reporting agencies), to open a Premium Pricing account or a Standard Pricing account, or not to open any account. For all accounts; The default rate equals an APR up to 30.74% varisble. The APR for Overdraft Advances, if applicable, is 13.99% fixed. Variable APRs are based an the 6.75% Prime Rate on 10/06/05. Annual fee: None. Minimum monthly Finance Charge: $1.00. Cash Advance Fee: 3% of the amount of the advance, but not less than $10.00. Balance Transfer Fee: 3% of the amount of each transaction, but not less than $5.00 nor more than $75.00. International Transactions: 3% of the U.S. dollar amount of the transaction, whether originally made in U.S. dollars or converted from a foreign currency. The lender or your account will be Chase Bank USA, NA. You should contact us to obtain information on any changes to these terms after the printing date by writing to Cardmember Service, P.O. Boo 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043. This offer is available only to applicants who reside in the Unded States of America.

4 Length of your introductory period will be either 12 months for purchases and balance transfers or 3 months for balance transfers depending on our review of your application and credit history.

FS17593O_APC6979_J Print date: 11/05

Joe1690 said: The Chase Rewards plus card offers 5X points on everyday spend not just for the first 12 months like the Diamond Prefferred but permanently (ie. until chase decides to change it.)

I see a couple of references in this thread regading the 5X thankyou points for everyday purchases for the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card being only for the first 12 months. Does anyone have any references for that, because I searched on the citi website and I don't find anything.

lial said: Joe1690 said: The Chase Rewards plus card offers 5X points on everyday spend not just for the first 12 months like the Diamond Prefferred but permanently (ie. until chase decides to change it.)

I see a couple of references in this thread regading the 5X thankyou points for everyday purchases for the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card being only for the first 12 months. Does anyone have any references for that, because I searched on the citi website and I don't find anything.

when you apply for new card, they tell you it's for 12 month only, but later you get the letter which says that it extended forever(i.e. until they decide to cancel it). Which makes it the same as Chase card.
Same thing with AT&T and dividend cards. Unfortunately Driver's Edge only offers 6% on everyday purchases for 12 month(3% after that).

I called Chase again today to find out more information about the program and the airline redemption levels. There still appears to be a lot of a confusion on this particular card. For instance, I was told that all of the airline redemptions have dollar caps but no one can seem to tell me what they are. Also, no one can find in the terms and conditions an expiration date for the points although one of the customer service representatives supposedly asked a manager and who informed him it was 4 years. So the expiration date still seems unknown with 3 represenatives telling me that there is no expiration and 1 telling me that it is 4 years.

Airline Travel:

All tickets must be booked 21 days in advance and require a saturday night stay. Unlike Citibank which offers you an unrestricted option apparently Chase does not offer this. Also the redemption levels from the only representative who could find the information was:

Continental US: 25,000 points
Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexico: 35,000 points
The Carribbean: 50,000 points (although I question this)
Europe, Asia, Australia 60,000 points (although I question the Asia and Australia part because this seems low).

I was also told by the travel department that all taxes and fees are included in the redeemed ticket up to the cap (which is unkown at this point).

So depending on what the cap is, the number of points for some of the redemptions and the number of years until the points expire this card could be competitive with the ThankYou Network although I am not so sure. For basic continental US tickets and Hawaii this seems like an okay deal but for the rest of the redemptions the points are higher than the Citibank counterpart. However, if the taxes and fees are included this could still be a good deal with some of the higher number of points seeing as citibank seems to charge around $100 - $200 in taxes and fees versus chase's $25 fee. Also, citibanks restricted tickets only require 14 days advance notice while Chase's requires 21 days but Chase told me that if there is a seat on the plane they can book it unlike citibank which has specific fare classes and preferred airlines. Also, Chase does not book tickets on JetBlue or Independence air.

I still think this is a better card than the Cash Plus card though because you can get Cash in $25 increments for 2500 points and the points expire either in 4 years or never depending on who you talk to versus 3 years for the cash plus program. Also, the Cash Plus has a maximum earning of 30,000 points while the Rewards plus has a 75,000 point cap. So in theory you can redeem your points for cash if no better options present themselves but also you have the flexibility to possibly earn more than 1 cent per dollar with the airline rewards.

Joe1690 said: I called Chase again today to find out more information about the program and the airline redemption levels. There still appears to be a lot of a confusion on this particular card. For instance, I was told that all of the airline redemptions have dollar caps but no one can seem to tell me what they are. Also, no one can find in the terms and conditions an expiration date for the points although one of the customer service representatives supposedly asked a manager and who informed him it was 4 years. So the expiration date still seems unknown with 3 represenatives telling me that there is no expiration and 1 telling me that it is 4 years.

Airline Travel:

All tickets must be booked 21 days in advance and require a saturday night stay. Unlike Citibank which offers you an unrestricted option apparently Chase does not offer this. Also the redemption levels from the only representative who could find the information was:

Continental US: 25,000 points
Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexico: 35,000 points
The Carribbean: 50,000 points (although I question this)
Europe, Asia, Australia 60,000 points (although I question the Asia and Australia part because this seems low).

I was also told by the travel department that all taxes and fees are included in the redeemed ticket up to the cap (which is unkown at this point).

So depending on what the cap is, the number of points for some of the redemptions and the number of years until the points expire this card could be competitive with the ThankYou Network although I am not so sure. For basic continental US tickets and Hawaii this seems like an okay deal but for the rest of the redemptions the points are higher than the Citibank counterpart. However, if the taxes and fees are included this could still be a good deal with some of the higher number of points seeing as citibank seems to charge around $100 - $200 in taxes and fees versus chase's $25 fee. Also, citibanks restricted tickets only require 14 days advance notice while Chase's requires 21 days but Chase told me that if there is a seat on the plane they can book it unlike citibank which has specific fare classes and preferred airlines. Also, Chase does not book tickets on JetBlue or Independence air.

I still think this is a better card than the Cash Plus card though because you can get Cash in $25 increments for 2500 points and the points expire either in 4 years or never depending on who you talk to versus 3 years for the cash plus program. Also, the Cash Plus has a maximum earning of 30,000 points while the Rewards plus has a 75,000 point cap. So in theory you can redeem your points for cash if no better options present themselves but also you have the flexibility to possibly earn more than 1 cent per dollar with the airline rewards.

So, did you pull the trigger and apply for the card?

No, I did not apply for the card since I already have 2 chase cards with rewards on them. Once I have reached my redemption level on 1 of my chase cards I will call and have my existing rewards program converted and once I get the brochure booklet with the full information I will then consider converting my second card.

Joe1690 said: No, I did not apply for the card since I already have 2 chase cards with rewards on them. Once I have reached my redemption level on 1 of my chase cards I will call and have my existing rewards program converted and once I get the brochure booklet with the full information I will then consider converting my second card.

I've nearly reached my redemption level with my Cash Plus card. I also possess a Chase perfectcard MC which is for the most part sockdrawered. I could convert the perfectcard into this rewards plus mc, but then I wouldn't gain the $50. Chase will hard pull for either converting or a new app. I may consider applying for this card then at activation either combine the perfectcard entirely, or just some of the credit line. I guess it comes down to whor&*% out a few points for $50, LOL

With my conversion to Cash Plus I was able to get the 5000 bonus points. I called up and asked to be converted. Then I told them I saw an offer for 5,000 points. The rep said once the card was converted to call back which I did and I gave them the promotion code and voila 5,000 points were deposited into my account. Also, when you do a product conversion with chase they do not pull your credit report. They simple change the account and since this is just a conversion of the rewards program you even still keep the same account number, interest rate, and card type (Visa or mastercard).

Joe1690 said: With my conversion to Cash Plus I was able to get the 5000 bonus points. I called up and asked to be converted. Then I told them I saw an offer for 5,000 points. The rep said once the card was converted to call back which I did and I gave them the promotion code and voila 5,000 points were deposited into my account. Also, when you do a product conversion with chase they do not pull your credit report. They simple change the account and since this is just a conversion of the rewards program you even still keep the same account number, interest rate, and card type (Visa or mastercard).

You are lucky. I tried to convert my other chase card to this Cash Plus card when they issue the VISA version instead of Master version. But they rejected my request on all three of my other chase accounts with no reason.

Hi, I need some help.

I've got the Citi Dividend Platinum Select card, so I think I mostly know how the Chase Cash Plus Rewards MasterCard works, with the 5% cash-back on groceries, gas and Drugstore purchases, with the $300 yearly limit.
But now I've seen the ad for the Chase Rewards Plus MasterCard, and its 'points'-system, which I'm unfamiliar with.
Can anyone here shed some light on:

1. The maximum cash reward redemption is $600 per calendar year, according to the ad. But will that be accumulated by spending $12,000 on groceries, gas and Drugstore purchases, or does it work differently in this 'points'-system?

2. The maximum points accumulation is 75,000 points annually, but 60,000 points equals the $600 maximum cash-back, right? So in case I reach 75,000, I'll have to use the 15,000 points difference on gift cards or airmiles? (I'm really only interested in getting cash-back checks, instead of using the points for air travel)

Thank you so much,

p8er

OLEOLEOLEO,

While I understand that you don't believe that the affinity group is getting their cut, I just happened to be on the ASPCA website today and saw their credit card and it now offers flexible rewards. Granted this isn't cash plus but I'm pretty darn sure you can convert it to cash plus or any other chase rewards program. In fact, the advertisement even states that they are indeed getting a percentage of each transaction while you get the rewards. Here is a link to the website.

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=aspca&page=cont&mkid=60Q9

Granted, this is only for this specific card but seeing this and knowing what the various represenatives at chase have told me and the fact that chase clearly states on their website for various cards what an affinity group is getting I still stand by my original statement that you can get an affinity card with any chase rewards program and the affinity group will get their cut.

Yeah, I know the school card I wanted had the "Flexible Rewards", but I was just saying that since those agreements aren't public I was skeptical that asking to do it other than advertised would work out as intended.

I notice that this card is not a Platinum card. Does that mean that there is no extended warranties and such?

I am looking into the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard vs. the Chase Rewards Visa card. I can get 100$ bonus for signing up for the Visa and it seems like it is only 50$ for the Mastercard. Did anybody find out whether there is also a 100$ deal out for the Mastercard ? I like the 600$ limit for the Mastercard better since I run up my Citi rewards in about 5 month.
Is the 5000 points the best I can get ?

I found a link to the Chase Rewards Plus program

Chase Rewards Plus

If I understand it right you need to get the Cash Back in increments of 100$ to get the best rate. I still did not pull the trigger yet, I kind of like the higher 600$ Cash Back limit (+15000 points so should actually be 750$ if you can use the other 15000 points) vs the 300$ on the visa version. But for the Visa the 100$ promo vs the 50$ promo on the Mastercard makes the decision harder.

from the brochure:

"A service fee of up to $25.00 may be charged for the use of Reward Headquarters services for points redemption. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to determine the amount of the service fee, to waive the service fee, or to change the service fee without notice."

Hopefully they won't charge $25 every time you request a $100 check.

Does anyone know if this is in the fine print of the Chase Cash Plus Rewards card too?

Hi Everyone...I'm new on here as far as posting, but have been reading the site for awhile, which had prompted me to open both the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa Card (and get the $100 bonus) and the new Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard! I think i am going to close the Visa one after i get the Bonus because i love the higher limits of the Rewards Plus Program...
To answer a few of the previous posts: 1) Regarding this not being a Platinum Card...indeed it is (even though it doesn't look like one) It carries all the usual Platinum benefits...although the Visa one doesn't have the Purchase Protection (90 days stolen/damaged coverage) and the Mastercard does...Both have the other features: Extended Warranty up to 1 year, Rental Collission Waiver coverage, Travel Insurance up to $500,000....
2) The $25 redemption fee applies ONLY if you are redeeming points for an airline ticket...the fee does NOT apply to Cash Back, Gift Certificates or Merchandise redemptions.
3) Yes, the odd part about the Rewards Plus program is that you do get the full 1% Cash Back at the 10,000 point level (10,000 pts= $100 check) but if you want cash at the $25 or $50 levels, it costs you extra points...so the best thing to do with Rewards Plus is take your Cash Back at the $100 levels only...really no big deal. And you can redeem up to $600 cash per year.
Also, points don't expire for 5 years with Rewards Plus (with Cash Plus it's 3 yrs)
And, no offers of $100 for Rewards Plus have been sighted..only the $50 (5,000 pts) deal, but this is the card to get if you want the bigger limits, so then i would sacrifice the extra $50 bonus if you like the program better...I only opened the Cash Plus first because i didn't know they were launching Rewards Plus...although the way it's working out...i'm ending up with $150 back for the 2 cards.

Hello craig10x,
thanks a lot for your post. It makes my decision easier since I don't really want to open 2 credit cards at this time.

No Problem, germanexpat, glad to be of help...and don't forget, you can rack up up to 75,000 pts per year with Rewards Plus...so even if you go beyond the $600 Cash Back, you could still use the excess for other things like the gift certificates, if you like. Like you, i was also going beyond the max on my Citi Dividend Rewards. I think this is going to be my primary usage card now. Although it's nice getting the extra bonus, i wish i had known about Rewards Plus first...more bother now (having to close out the Visa, move credit line, etc) would have preferred just to go with the Mastercard (also it's nice to know you have the "purchase protection" with the mastercard, even if you, hopefully, never need to use it...lol)...

I never knew this, I like the philanthropic aspect. Question is can I take a current rewards card (Chase rewards Plus Visa) and add an a partner organization benefit to it (World Wildlife Fund, etc.)?

Plus, as I've mentioned before any of Chase's rewards programs are available on their partner cards like St. Judes, World Wildlife Fund, American Medical Association, the San Diego Zoo, their various College credit cards for alumni and college students which means that in addition to supporting an organization you can earn these lucrative rewards. This option is not available with Citibank.

p8er said: from the brochure:

"A service fee of up to $25.00 may be charged for the use of Reward Headquarters services for points redemption. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to determine the amount of the service fee, to waive the service fee, or to change the service fee without notice."

Hopefully they won't charge $25 every time you request a $100 check.

Does anyone know if this is in the fine print of the Chase Cash Plus Rewards card too?

The service fee is referring to redeeming travel. Cash Back doesn't go through Reward Headquarters, so you are not charged the fee.

cool, thanks.

Good post craig10x, Since RBS will not upgrade my cash rewards card I have been looking to switch cards. You answered many of my questions but still confused about the differences of Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa Card and the new Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard. Looking thru their sites I am having trouble figuring the maximum of cash you can redeem. Figure between my wife and I we charge about $25,000 at the places we could get the 5% and then I could continue to use the RBS card for the things that only pay 1% to help keep me under the max. So which one would you suggests. Thanks in Advance
Edit: Are you sure about this and were verbaly told it:
2) The $25 redemption fee applies ONLY if you are redeeming points for an airline ticket...the fee does NOT apply to Cash Back, Gift Certificates or Merchandise redemptions.
From looking on Chase site it does not make that clear

BigOno said: I never knew this, I like the philanthropic aspect.
Speaking of Chase the "philanthropic" does anyone else have a problem with using them. I saw a 60 minutes story years ago about Chase's involvement and support of Hitler and the Nazi war machine. Did a lot of research about it and read things about how they screwed the Jews living in France during the occupation and froze their accounts eventually stealing the money. They hid wanted Nazi war criminals and even gave them jobs. Chase has been named in some lawsuits over these matters and did admit some guilt. In the past I have stayed away from doing any business with them but might now get this card. But I will makes sure they never get a penny of interest or any fee's out of me.

Actually, I am waiting on the arrival of my Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard, and as soon as i read the "fine print" that accompanies the card in the brochure they will include about the program, i will post back. I can see how reading that Rewards Plus catalog pdf file, one could easily get confused into thinking that the fee applies to all redemptions (but you will notice it is mentioned in the section dealing with travel rewards). I believe in the original newspaper ad for this card, they mentioned that the $25 fee was for travel reward redemptions (it's a processing fee...i think all the frequent flyer cards do the same thing when you exchange points for an airline ticket)....
Meanwhile, if anyone else can help clarify this for Scott1961, please do so..maybe someone who already has the card, or confirmed with Chase on the phone about it...
As far as what you said about Chase during world war 2...well, even if that is true, i highly doubt that the people running the bank today are the same folks that ran it in the 1940s, so i wouldn't hold it against present management...But it's wise anyway to use ANY BANKS credit card as just a payment convenience (and a way to get back cash..lol) and pay your bill, on time, and fully every month....that way, only the merchants you use pay the fees...not you! That's how you beat them at the game...LOL

I don't believe you can add a philonthropic group to your existing card since the charity cards are actually co-branded cards. But you can convert your current card to a charity card and then add the Rewards Plus program to that card.

But then you wouldn't be eligible for the $50 bonus, right?

~E

I don't believe you can add a philonthropic group to your existing card since the charity cards are actually co-branded cards. But you can convert your current card to a charity card and then add the Rewards Plus program to that card.

can someone explain to me why it is bad to sign up for both credit cards??? couldn't you just cut apart and throw away the one you don't want to use?

Skipping 298 Messages...
Now its back to showing Rewards Plus online. Well that makes me feel a little bit better. Someone at Chase is screwing with me :p

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014