• 1 2 3459
  • Page
  • Text Only
i have some more questions, i shopped at giant (i think it's consider a grocery store) and only got 1 percent back from citi dividends, so is there a clear distinction for credit cards between supermarket and grocery store?

also the citi mtv card isn't that great is it? since 1 point does not equal 1 dollar unless you're using it to pay off your student loan, and that takes a long time to stack up all those points.

Called that 1-866-347-8534 number to apply for the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard. Will be much better when there is an online link to apply. Call went to a call center in India and could hardly understand her. Then she had to go thru every rate and fee scenario which took almost 10 minutes. Total call took over 25 minutes

I had a philanthropic card (World WildLife Fund) with Free Cash Rewards on it. I converted to CashPlus in August and told them I saw an offer in the newspaper for 5000 points. They said once the CashPlus was added which usually takes about 2-3 days to call back. I called back and gave the representative the offer code even though she claimed they did not offer promotional bonuses to existing customers and sent it to marketing. About 3-4 weeks later the bonus points posted to my account and I received a letter. So the answer is yes you can get the bonus points without applying for that particular card because in reality any of the chase rewards cards (Cash Plus, Rewards Plus, Travel Plus, ValueMiles, Free Cash Rewards, Perfect Card, home improvement rewards, Flexible Rewards) are just a plain Chase Platinum Visa or Mastercard with the particular rewards program added on. Hence why none of the cards actually list the name of the rewards program on the card. So in effect by adding that particular rewards program to whatever card you have you have applied for the rewards program since that is where the bonus is coming from. Hope this helps.

scott1961 said: Called that 1-866-347-8534 number to apply for the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard. Will be much better when there is an online link to apply. Call went to a call center in India and could hardly understand her. Then she had to go thru every rate and fee scenario which took almost 10 minutes. Total call took over 25 minutes

I just applied also(18887870329) and scott is right, it sure took a while and was hard to understand.Prob. took me 15-18 minutes.She said it was Visa, and I told her ad(my local paper had the ad this morning) said MC, and she said didn't matter, same terms?Ad said Chase Cash Plus Rewards MC.

dj, there are two different rewards programs, both available as mastercards and visas...the one offering the $100 bonus was the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa Card...that offer, i believe is no longer available, now it's $50, i believe. The Chase Cash Plus Rewards Master Card offer is a $50 bonus..The Chase Rewards Plus Master Card has a $50 bonus...and The Chase Rewards Plus Visa Card has no special offer and is shown at the Chase website...Confused yet? (lol)
The one that i just signed up for is the Chase Rewards Plus Master Card ($50 bonus) that's the one Scott1961 also signed up for..
Sounds like she signed you up for the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa...that program is up to $300 Cash Back per year in checks or gift certificates....Rewards Plus maximum Cash Back is $600 per year, in cash (checks) gift certificates, merchandise or airline tickets....The one quirk of rewards plus is you have to redeem for cash at $100 levels to get the full 1% Cash Back (10,000 pts equals $100) at lower cash out levels, you pay extra points...
If you wanted Rewards Plus, she signed you up for the wrong card...also for Rewards Plus, you have to get the Mastercard for the $50 bonus...If this is the card you wanted (Rewards Plus Mastercard with $50 bonus) better call them back, have them delete your application and apply for the correct card!
Chase has so many rewards programs under both Master and Visa it's easy for those applicant takers to get confused as to what you want..I prefer the Mastercard because the Visa doesn't give you the 90 days stolen/damaged merchandise protection...both have 1 yr extended warranty, though.
Also, i recently called Mastercard to ask how coverage under the extended warranty works and was impressed by how they handled the call, making sure i got the answers to all my questions...that's another reason i prefer Mastercard....
PS: On both Cash Plus and Rewards Plus you get the same 5% on Supermarket/Drug Store/Gas purchases, and 1% on everything else...

craig10x said: Confused yet? (lol)
The one that i just signed up for is the Chase Rewards Plus Master Card ($50 bonus) that's the one Scott1961 also signed up for..
Sounds like she signed you up for the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa...that program is up to $300 Cash Back per year in checks or gift certificates....Rewards Plus maximum Cash Back is $600 per year,

Confused? Very. Got dizzy comparing features of these two chase cards. Finally applied for the Chase Rewards Plus MasterCard with $50 bonus. Saw an ad in today's paper for that card but had different code and no bonus. Have to thank FW for teaching me about bonus codes. Thought from reading thru the threads here that this card had a $750 max but seems like it is only $600. Will need to teach my wife to use the Chase card only at grocery and drug stores and the 1% RBS card everywhere else.

LOL..yes i know what you mean, Scott...To clarify though, i believe what they mean is a maximum of $600 in Cash Back, however one could use additional points equivelent of up to another $150 ($750 total) in gift certificates...when the say $600 Cash Back limit, i believe they are referring to actual Checks for Cash.... But if one wants strictly Cash Back, you are correct...it's $600 per year. I'm going to continue using my Citi Dividend Rewards Card occassionally, and should i go past the $600 max per year for cash on the Chase (doubtful) i would put the excess on the Citicard.

I have the Chase Reward Plus Visa since October with $100 bonus and 0% APR on purchases until this coming December. I have been using it instead of my Citi Dividend, which also has the same CashBack percentages. The only thing that I missed is not having the Citi Virtual Account numbers. I wish Chase would offer it.

Boiler said: I have the Chase Reward Plus Visa since October with $100 bonus and 0% APR on purchases until this coming December. I have been using it instead of my Citi Dividend, which also has the same CashBack percentages. The only thing that I missed is not having the Citi Virtual Account numbers. I wish Chase would offer it.

Where did you find the $100 code? Is it still active? I have been looking for one but I can only find $50 codes. Thanks!

I signed up with the HG1 code from the fall and i asked specifically if it came with the $100 bonus and the woman said yes. Just try using HG1 and make sure they agree that it has the $100 bonus.

markley268 said: I signed up with the HG1 code from the fall and i asked specifically if it came with the $100 bonus and the woman said yes. Just try using HG1 and make sure they agree that it has the $100 bonus.

That sounds like that was for Chase Cash Plus.... not Rewards plus. The differences.....

CASH Plus has a cap of $300 in rewards per year, good for cash only

REWARDS Plus has a cap of $750 in rewards, good for travel, merchandise & cash....... confusing I agree.

I'd love to find a $100 for the Rewards Plus, but some on FW have even said that they are having troubles getting the $50 bonus.

Have any of you had success getting $50 for signing up for Chase Rewards Plus MC or Visa?

You are right FFGuru, The HG-1 Bonus of $100 was for the Chase Cash Plus Visa($300 max cash per yr) Card...i know because i got it! I don't think they are accepting it anymore...I also signed up for the Chase Rewards Plus Master Card (Maximum $750 per year in gift certificates or mechandise...or $600 in Cash Back checks...points also good toward airline tickets) I got the $50 bonus for that one, using Code XZY...and that offer is good until Jan. 31st.
I'm waiting to receive my Chase Reward Plus Master Card in the mail (already got the Visa) and planning on closing out the Visa as soon as i get the $100 Check...Like you, i feel the Reward Plus Mastercard is the best because of the $600 per year max...although a strange quirk is that you have to cash out at $100 increments to get your full points value (10,000 pts=$100) if you cash out at $25 or $50 they get you for extra points...that doesn't bother me at all...even with my Citi Dividend Rewards Card, i usually waited until i had $100 or $200 to cash out, anyway...
The other thing i like is that Mastercard gives you Purchase Protection (90 days stolen/damage coverage) which the Visa doesn't include....both give the 1 year warranty extension. When i called Mastercard to ask them a bunch of questions about how the extended warranty program works, they were very courteous and helpful, so i was very impressed!

PS everyone...If you want the $50 bonus with Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard, use code XZY and use this phone # to apply: 1-866-347-8534 (that's the one i used).... Hope that helps, FW Guru...

craig10x said:
The other thing i like is that Mastercard gives you Purchase Protection (90 days stolen/damage coverage) which the Visa doesn't include....both give the 1 year warranty extension. When i called Mastercard to ask them a bunch of questions about how the extended warranty program works, they were very courteous and helpful, so i was very impressed!



Visa has Purchase security, which I believe is the same thing

Clocks, you are correct, except Visa does not offer their purchase security as part of their standard benefits package for gold and platinum cards anymore. It is only standard on their Signature level card (check the Visa website for card features..where as Mastercard does include it as part of their standard benefits package... Banks can, of course, purchase that feature from Visa or from another source, to include it for their customers, but alot of banks (including Chase) don't...
Mastercard also gives you up to $3,000 in Luggage Insurance for your luggage and it's contents. (secondary coverage to the portion that the airline will give you) when you fly...Visa does not (once again, except with their "Signature" level cards)....

craig10x said: Clocks, you are correct, except Visa does not offer their purchase security as part of their standard benefits package for gold and platinum cards anymore. It is only standard on their Signature level card (check the Visa website for card features..where as Mastercard does include it as part of their standard benefits package... Banks can, of course, purchase that feature from Visa or from another source, to include it for their customers, but alot of banks (including Chase) don't...
Mastercard also gives you up to $3,000 in Luggage Insurance for your luggage and it's contents. (secondary coverage to the portion that the airline will give you) when you fly...Visa does not (once again, except with their "Signature" level cards)....


Chase included it on mine, and I do not have their signature card?!?

Really? Which Card do you have? When you go to the Chase site and bring up the benefits on the majority of Visa Cards they list, it doesn't show it being included, where as it does for every mastercard you check there...Also, in the Visa benefits brochure that came with the Chase Cash Plus Visa, it isn't mentioned in there at all. And the Chase Cash Plus Visa is a platinum card.

I called the phone number on the back of my Chase PerfectCard Mastercard and requested that it be converted to the Rewards Plus Mastercard. No problem. I spoke to a rep located in the US. Similar to someone elses experience when talking to a Chase CSR, this rep was confusing the Rewards Plus card with the Cash Plus card....so be sure that the CSR is very clear about which card you wan. On the same call, I then asked for the 5000 bonus points using the XZY code mentioned in this ad http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6909/img21cw.jpg . Again, no problem.

How annoying. I called the 1 866 347 8534 number and used the XZY code. I went through the whole 1/2 hour application process and at the end I asked the CSR to be sure I was getting the "Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard." She said it was the "Chase Rewards Platinum Visa Card." I went a few rounds with her about the differences between the two cards and she assured me that the rewards program was exactly the same. 75,000 total points a year? "Yes." 5 points per $ @ gas, grocery, and drug stores? "Yes." Sure? "Yes."

She said she had no access to the Mastercard application at her location. (I suspect she just didn't want to go through the whole application process over again.) So, I let her put through the app as she had entered it.

I then called the CSR number for the Rewards Plus Visa card from the Chase website. The US CSR at that number told me that Platinum was just the level of the card, that if the Indian CSR said it was a "Rewards" card that it had to be "Rewards Plus" and that I would be getting the same program as the "Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard" but that it would be a VISA card instead. She said there was not any "Rewards" program that was not a "Rewards Plus" program at Chase.

So, what am I getting? I sure don't know. I don't want another useless credit card on my credit record. I have enough of them already. I also don't want multiple hits on my credit report from Chase for trying to get this corrected. Anyone else have this experience and what did you do about it?

pshooper, this is getting confusing...i called the same number you did and gave her that bonus code and she told me i was applying for the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard...i got an India operator, too...I haven't received the card yet (it's on the way to me now) i hope that don't mess up mine also... I recall the original newspaper ad that was posted on here was for the Mastercard version, and they gave the specific number 1-866-347-8534, to call and the bonus code XZY to use for the 5,000 pts bonus....Now, all of a sudden they are taking applications for the Visa version at that number? This is going to confuse alot of people now. Has anyone else called this number recently? which card did they tell you that you are getting? Master or Visa?
The Reward Plus program is identical for both cards...it's just that i preferred the mastercard version, myself...and now i am wondering if i will get it?

craig10x said: Really? Which Card do you have? When you go to the Chase site and bring up the benefits on the majority of Visa Cards they list, it doesn't show it being included, where as it does for every mastercard you check there...Also, in the Visa benefits brochure that came with the Chase Cash Plus Visa, it isn't mentioned in there at all. And the Chase Cash Plus Visa is a platinum card.

Chase Cash Plus Reward Visa. In the last month I got a new "Visa Guide to Benefits" Effective 1/1/06 and inside it lists the details for "Purchase Security".

Now this is where the plot thickens. The card started a few years back as BankOne Titanium visa. Then I had them switch it to the regular 1% Cash Back card(no new card was issued). Later I called in and asked them to switch me to the Signature Flexible Rewards card(again no new card was issued). Then more recently, I asked them to switch the card to the Cash Plus Rewards(finally got a new card). I wonder if having the signature card in between is why I have the Purchase Security?

Then again, maybe I don't really have it, and they just sent me the wrong benefit guide?

Just called them up to ask. When did cust serv move to India? I spoke with "Mark" and asked him if I have purchase security. He said no. Oh well.

That would make sense, Clocks...maybe they had sent you the Visa Benefits guide for the "Signature" level since you had a Titanium card originally....but with my Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa, which is platinum level, the benefits booklet does not list the Purchase Security...I understand that Visa dropped it (and the lost luggage insurance) from all their cards except for the Signature cards. Mastercard is still including those 2 features for all the Gold and Platinum Cards.
I could have applied for either a Master or Visa Version of the Rewards Plus, but opted for the Master to get those extra features...now i have to hope they are sending me the right card! (lol)
Yes, they seem to be using alot of outsourcing from India now...I did get a USA operator a few times, and only in the daytime but at night (and even in the daytime) or weekends you will very often get an India CSR. The India CSR told me is was applying for the Master Card so i think i will be ok...it should be arriving in a few days...so i will no soon enough!

craig10x said: pshooper, this is getting confusing...i called the same number you did and gave her that bonus code and she told me i was applying for the Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard...i got an India operator, too...I haven't received the card yet (it's on the way to me now) i hope that don't mess up mine also... I recall the original newspaper ad that was posted on here was for the Mastercard version, and they gave the specific number 1-866-347-8534, to call and the bonus code XZY to use for the 5,000 pts bonus....Now, all of a sudden they are taking applications for the Visa version at that number? This is going to confuse alot of people now. Has anyone else called this number recently? which card did they tell you that you are getting? Master or Visa?
The Reward Plus program is identical for both cards...it's just that i preferred the mastercard version, myself...and now i am wondering if i will get it?


I'll be watching to see what you got. My Indian CSR was very specific about what she told me as I said before. Those quotes I have were word for word. I asked her enough times. I don't see why when I call the specific number in an ad and use the code from that ad AND tell the CSR I want the MasterCard shown in the ad that I would be told that card couldn't be obtained at that number. I am very suspicious about the CSR motivations for saying that to me. Something stinks. Please let us know what you get. Thanks.

no problem pshooper, i will report in as soon as i get it...lol I did apply a few weeks ago (the delay in sending me the card is because apparently they did some kind of security check and called to verify my address and since i apparently wasn't home during the times they tried, the card wasn't sent out...i called last week, they verified my address and out it went...just awaiting it's arrival). Now, my India CSR did specifically mention that it was a mastercard...so we will see. There is the link to the original scanned ad that appeared earlier in this thread. Note the phone # and bonus code IS the one you called and used...and notice in the ad it says and shows Mastercard not Visa....so if they have suddenly switched gears and decided to issue Visas, well, they should tell you when you call. And if the application is being taken for it at a different phone # then they should tell you that also... Maybe you should ask to speak to a supervisor and explain these things to them...if you apply for a mastercard you expect to get a mastercard...I'm going to do the same, if i don't get what i requested...

Now you guys have me wondering which card I will get. Don't remember her saying Visa or Mastercard. Just figured it would be Mastercard as that's what the ad said. The other funny thing I got an alert that a hard pull was done on me and figured it was Chase but when I went to my Identity Guard account it said FIRST USA pulled it

scott1961 said: Now you guys have me wondering which card I will get. Don't remember her saying Visa or Mastercard. Just figured it would be Mastercard as that's what the ad said. The other funny thing I got an alert that a hard pull was done on me and figured it was Chase but when I went to my Identity Guard account it said FIRST USA pulled it

i believe first usa was a subsidiary of bank one, which merged with chase

tucker2 said: scott1961 said: Now you guys have me wondering which card I will get. Don't remember her saying Visa or Mastercard. Just figured it would be Mastercard as that's what the ad said. The other funny thing I got an alert that a hard pull was done on me and figured it was Chase but when I went to my Identity Guard account it said FIRST USA pulled it

i believe first usa was a subsidiary of bank one, which merged with chase


I can confirm that statement, since I have had a card with them for over 10 years now.

I just applied this card. But the indian CSR couldn't tell me I got apporved or not, and said the decision would come in 30days. How about others? Can you guys get the instant approve?

GermanExpat said: I found a link to the Chase Rewards Plus program

Chase Rewards Plus

If I understand it right you need to get the Cash Back in increments of 100$ to get the best rate. I still did not pull the trigger yet, I kind of like the higher 600$ Cash Back limit (+15000 points so should actually be 750$ if you can use the other 15000 points) vs the 300$ on the visa version. But for the Visa the 100$ promo vs the 50$ promo on the Mastercard makes the decision harder.



Hey, do you still have teh phone number or promo code for the $100 promo for the Visa card? I saw this promo for the visa card once and didn't go through with it. I have been seeing a lot of the $50 promo for the Mastercard. Also on a side note, the time I saw the $100 promo for the Visa card it stated 5% back at Drug stores, gas stations, grocery stores, and this is the big thing, which I haven't seen expect that one time maybe couple of months back in the sunday paper - you also get back 5% at "Home Improvement Stores" (Lowes, Home Depot, etc..) If anyone knows anything about this, please let us all know. I should have jumped on this when I had a chance.

zhubaobao said: I just applied this card. But the indian CSR couldn't tell me I got apporved or not, and said the decision would come in 30days. How about others? Can you guys get the instant approve?
I think what you were told is standard for them. I got the same answer as you and my FICO is over 790

You never get instant approval when you apply to Chase for a card. But you can track your status on the following automated phone # 1-888-338-2586 it will tell you when your application is being processed (usually the next business day after you applied) and when you have been approved (sometimes as soon as the second business day after you applied...that was the case with me).
Once it says you are approved, you should receive your card in about 5 business days after that. Hope that helps.
A note to all that were waiting for my return post...i did receive my card today, and it is the Rewards Plus Mastercard...but keep in mind that my India CSR did say that that is what i was applying for. So, if you didn't specifically hear that card mentioned when you applied, you will want to call customer service to make sure your application is put in for the card you want. The Rewards Plus program is available as both a Mastercard and as a Visa, so if you have a preference, make sure you apply for the CORRECT ONE....
Also, note that your bonus points are added when your first statement is generated and you can view it online..it's at that point you can register for "Choose My Rewards" and redeem you first check for those points...you will not be able to register before then.

Another Note: with Rewards Plus (as opposed to Cash Plus) it is true that to get full point value, you will want to wait until you have 10,000 pts accumulated and get a check for $100 (if you redeem at $25 or $50 it will cost you extra points) so my advice is to wait until you have 10,000 to order a check. Cash Plus is different...5,000 pts is $50 but that program doesn't have all the flexibility of Reward Plus (bigger cash out limit...$600 per yr...use points for merchandise, airline travel, etc...points good for longer period...5 yrs, instead of 3).
Now, maybe someone can help me with a question: I already had the Cash Plus Visa and my statement generated today and i registered the card with "Choose My Rewards". Now i just got my Reward Plus master card...the question is: will that card (with it's different reward program) get automatically linked in when my first statement gets generated...or will it require a seperate registeration (at "Choose my Rewards") anyone know?

I was told they could both be linked to 1 account although you would have to call to get it set up but I don't believe this is possible since when you log in it automatically takes you to specific rewards program you are enrolled in. I have 2 separate user names and passwords for my 2 Chase Rewards cards on the choosemyrewards.com website.

Thanks Joe...i had a feeling that i would have to do it like that. I would imagine that just like with the other card, i won't be able to register until the first statement is actually generated, but that's only about a week away....meantime i immediately took two $50 checks for my 10,000 bonus points...that was sweet. And i will get the 5,000 pts bonus for the Mastercard...so that's $150 all together! Still, with all the extra bother, if i knew Rewards Plus was coming out, i probably would have just applied for the Mastercard with that program, take the $50 bonus and that would have been that...I really only want to keep 1 card (i have Citi Dividend also) so i will end up deleting the Visa after i get the checks....oh well (lol)

craig10x said: You never get instant approval when you apply to Chase for a card. But you can track your status on the following automated phone # 1-888-338-2586

Thanks for that number, I just called and said I was approved and should get card in about 5 days. Did not say anything about credit limit and am curious as to what type of limits they give. My timing for applying might not have been that good as I just put my daughters Spring College tuition on my card so have a balance of over $15,000 on it and wondering if that might make it look like I am in trouble. I do pay in full every month but I know credit reports do not show that, At least I will get a check back for $150 from RBS

Your welcome, Scott...if you are curious, you could call customer service (800-945-2000) and they might be able to look up the credit line amount, and you could likely verify if it is Mastercard or Visa that you are getting...Of course, when you get the card, it will show your Credit Line on the folder around the card... Meanwhile, i e-mailed customer service about transferring my credit line on the Visa and moving it to the Mastercard. Seems i will have to wait until 6 months have past, then i can move the entire line over and close the Visa (you have to make sure you have no activity on the card you are closing for the last 3 months if you want the entire line moved before it gets closed). I had activity for the first 2 months, so now i will just put the Visa away in the drawer and call up in another 4 months and move the line and delete the card.
Time to start using the new Mastercard!...lol

Quick Follow-Up...Even though they e-mailed me that i would not be able to transfer credit lines between cards for 6 months, i called and the U.S. CSR moved the line for me in 5 minutes! I moved most of my Visa line to My Mastercard....just left $600 on the Visa to temporarily keep it open...Just goes to show you can get different answers...if you are persistant you can usually get what you want....lol

How do I get this card. I called up the number and they are offering Chase Platinum and not the Chase Rewards Plus mastercard...I tried twice ? Anyone ?

Well MRNG, the number that appeared in the original newspaper ad was the number i called and applied to, which was: 1-866-347-8534 and the bonus code for the extra 5,000 points is: XZY which the ad said is good until Jan 31st. Some people said they called the number recently and were told they were taking applications for the Chase Reward Plus Visa Card, so make sure you immediately find out if it is for the Chase Reward Plus Mastercard. If they say no, ask them to get you the proper number to call (or call the regular Chase customer service which is: 800-945-2000 and ask if they have a different number for it, or if they would take your application and accept the bonus code)....Let us know how you make out....And Scott, please post when you get your card...curious to find out if you got the mastercard....



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014