• 16 7 8910
  • Page
  • Text Only
Ebates is $20 now.

WalStMonky said: Ebates is $20 now.

If you have not yet signed up with Ebates, you get $5 for completing one offer, for a total of $25. That is how the Ebates $25 has always been, IRC. Also, during the holidays, they had an additional $5 available, so I was able to nab $30 from Ebates for a total of $80 for the entire promo combo.

smac2399 said:
Can this promo be combined with the other $50 offer?

Also, can you set up multiple custodial or ESA accounts and get the $50 for each one?

Be careful, with IRA and ESA, there are administration fees involved. See quick summary.

I am going for account #3 today. Here is a little update on my strategy to build up some value and not get flagged by Sharebuilder.

Account 1: Deposited $40 and bought a partial share in a nice REIT. When the $50 promo was deposited, I bought some more of the same REIT. I used the Basic plan and paid two $4 trades for automatic investments. I setup free divident reinvestments.

Account 2: I deposited $75 and bought another partial share in the same REIT as before. This time, I took advantage of the Standard free trial. I used a $50 bonus and Ebates. When I got the promo funding, I withdrew the funds. Then, I merged the holdings into the original account. I have $40 of my own money in, and the REIT is now worth $214! Nice.

Account 3: Today, I signed up for another $50 promo, but I deposited $55. It is set to buy some shares of a nice Oil and Gas CanRoy. I signed up for the Standard account free trial. However, since tomorrow is the 5th Tuesday in January, there will be no automatic investment. And since it is the end of January, the trial is only good for three days! Bummer... I called Sharebuilder and they said that they cannot move my trial to February, but they would issue a refund and I have the reference number, so score. Since I will have all of February at my disposal, I will likely buy some more of this same CanRoy half way into the month. Oil and Gas look very good, to me, right now because there has been a decent dip in prices, and we could easily assume that prices will go back up in the summer (but we know about assumptions...). This one is nice because its dividends for last year were about 18% of basis, and considering its price has dropped by 50% since November, and gas prices will go back up, it looks like a great "value" buy. 18% dividends on basis, and a potential easy double in basis! Score, hopefully. Once the promo is deposited, I will be withdrawing the funds and merging with my original account.

I may move much quicker on account number 4, but it will likely be under my wife's name, so we don't trigger some craziness. My account 3 investment will be about a year after my account 1 investment, and about three months after my account 2 investment. Maybe I will do account 4 for my wife in March, and then do account 5 for me in April, and we can alternate like that for a while... until we get caught. And for good measure, and improvement of our portfolios, we will likely do some real investments, too. I have just been playing around with these bonuses, but I would like to get my Sharebuilder account up to about $2K in basis in 2007... hopefully these bonuses can play a strategic role in getting there... and hopefully I don't get shutdown.

Many of those that have been shutdown have been making minimal purchases and have withdrawn all funds. I would be pretty ticked if I was running the company. However, I would be less ticked about someone using it in this way... Maybe that is just wishful thinking, but hopefully it keeps me from getting flagged.

Is Ebates no longer giving the bonus? I can't find it on their site anywhere...

GiftCards26 said: Is Ebates no longer giving the bonus? I can't find it on their site anywhere...

It looks like it may be gone. I did a search and it did not come up... however, I have already done the Sharebuilder offer, so it may not show up for me even if it is still ongoing. Run a search on Sharebuilder and let us know if you get any results.

Maybe they caught onto the whole scheme of doubling up promos.

I got my $90 Costco Cash Cards yesterday for some accounts I opened up for my nieces/nephews right before Christmas, very nice!

leenga said: Give the Gift of Stock
Get a $50 National City Visa(R) Gift Card

Receive a $50 Gift Card Holiday Bonus
Plus, when you open a new ShareBuilder Individual, Joint or Custodial Account by 1/15/2007, we'll give you a $50 Gift Card after you place your first trade. Visit www.NationalCity.com/GiftOfStock for more details.

Wow, the gift card came alot faster than the cash offers I did in the past.
Signed up on 1/10
bought on 1/16
received GC on 1/29

Also, I was previously "caught" and thought they had put an end to this for me, but this "gift of stock" program worked no problem.

Special Thanks to people who recommended MEMY for $1 and now it is howering around 3.83 .. i just bought 5 of those when i wanted in on the promotion so any ways my portfolio is now a healthy 21 $

New Code fron the entertainment book:

50DOW - expires 4/13/07

Cash bonus disclaimer: You must open a new ShareBuilder Account to receive the $50 bonus offer. Please note the $50 credit will post to your account approximately 4-6 weeks after the first transaction executes. Cash offer available for Individual, Joint and Custodial accounts. You must have U.S. Tax I.D. (Social Security Number) to open a ShareBuilder Account. Limit one per customer. The $50 offer is not valid with IRA or Education Savings Accounts. Not valid with any other offers. $50 offer expires 4/13/07.

While opening a second account thru' Costco, should I say yes or no for this?
Do you have an existing account?"

I scored promo #3 a week ago.

Withdrew all funds and going for #4 next week.

MilesHeighway said: I scored promo #3 a week ago.

Excellent! I am waiting on my #3 funds to be deposited (hopefully in the next two weeks), and then I will be moving to #4. Like I said, I haven't been buying $1 and withdrawing the promo funds, I having been buying $50-$75, and withdrawing the promo funds. Hopefully this keeps me from getting tagged. I am up 40% right now, so all is well.

Anyone used Zecco?

Beckles said: I got my $90 Costco Cash Cards yesterday for some accounts I opened up for my nieces/nephews right before Christmas, very nice!The OP PM'ed me a question, and I'll answer it here too for everyone, these were Custodial accounts, and I asked customer service before opening them, each Custodial account is eligible for a bonus, no opening/closing of accounts necessary. I gave each kid a share of Disney for Christmas and got back a $90 gift card, so I netted $50/account.

I just did a Google search on Sharebuilder promos and AdSense had a link for a $50 promo. It was the Share50 promo that was supposed to expire on 12/31/06, but it still seems active (did not see an updated expiration date, though).

http://content.sharebuilder.com/MgdCon/Jump/Web/welcome/50offer/index.htm

Has anyone transfered their Sharebuilder assets elsewhere? When I get it built up to a certain level, I would like to move to something more favorable. I am worried that I would have to just sell everything and take the cash, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone know if you need to be a costco member in order to get the promotion or will they just send you a costco cash card? thanks in adv! Not a costco member but would like to give to a coworker or friend if I'm signing up anyways.

MilesHeighway said: I scored promo #3 a week ago.

What did you do differently to get the promotion and not be a suspect .. eg different email (obvioulsy) what about ssn ?

boldm28 said: MilesHeighway said: I scored promo #3 a week ago.

What did you do differently to get the promotion and not be a suspect .. eg different email (obvioulsy) what about ssn ?

As for me, I did absolutely nothing to hide my previous accounts. They actually ask you if you have an existing account. Maybe we should setup some type of poll, but I suspect many of the people who have been busted are those that are signing up for completely separate accounts with different login ids. When I log in, I see all of my accounts right there. I am going to continue until they say no more, that is all there is too it. I would personally love to get the promos like Costco, but there isn't one within a good distance, and I am already a member of Sam's Club, so I don't feel like signing up for Costco just to get it. So far, I have sunk $95 of my own money into it, besides the promos, and my account is up to about $350. This is a combination of three $50 promos. A lot of people are purchasing a minimal amount of stock and then withdrawing the rest. Only time will tell if it makes any difference and allows me to play the game longer.

When it is over for me, I will move on to signing my wife up and repeating.

boldm28 said: MilesHeighway said: I scored promo #3 a week ago.

No. I didn't do anything different at all. Same email, same account information, same SSN (I just click on "I have an account with Sharebuilder and the form gets filled up automatically.)

If anything, I actually have 4 accounts, 3 of which I have got the promo money. The 4th is an account I created accidentally without the promo, so I left it as that.

Well, that was bad karma .

I was pwned at account #4. So in total I got 3x$50 promos.

So long and thanks OP for all the fish!

MilesHeighway said: Well, that was bad karma .

I was pwned at account #4. So in total I got 3x$50 promos.

So long and thanks OP for all the fish!

Can you outline your strategy a bit? I am wanting to see if my hypothesis is flawed. Did you do minimal investments and then withdraw the bonuses, or did invest the amount of the bonus, or more?

BTW: Bummer on getting canned. Time to build up a harem and open accounts in all of their names

It would be nice to know if people getting locked out have been using the same codes over again, or alternating different offers. Also, the reasons given for denying the offer, and does it come in place of the 'you qualify for the offer' email or later.

I am going to start opening accounts and will step forward to share all the moving parts I can identify. My wife and I just opened an individual account each under the Share50 promo. We both had individual accounts that have been open and dormant since 2001, hers at 0 and I got a really pleasant surprise to find that the $25 bonus money that I left in there has grown to be $110. I wonder if being a 'long term' customer will make a difference. Anyway, my plan is to open two joint accounts next month with a different promo. One titled me/her/my SSN first and one titled her/me/her SSN first. Something else I've been pondering is to take a break and consolidate the accounts before moving on. They may have some program that spits out the names of anyone who opens a 4th, or whatever number account. Since they've been paying people to open accounts for at least 6 years I don't think it's a limited time offer. I'm also going to leave the money in there as I can't think of a better thing to do with free money than investing it.

I have no problem with doing this for all the bonus money they're willing to pay. I see nothing in the T&C about limit 1 per person, or per household, or per year, or per anything. Just open an account and do a trade.

WalStMonky said: It would be nice to know if people getting locked out have been using the same codes over again, or alternating different offers. Also, the reasons given for denying the offer, and does it come in place of the 'you qualify for the offer' email or later.

I have successfully opened 3 accounts and received the bonusus using different codes and have not been locked out. Basically I just log into my sharebuilder account, click open account and go from there. Most of my info is already filled in, I just enter a new bonus code, transfer some money in, place a trade, and my bonus is applied in a few weeks. Free $150 so far. At this point I am going to have my 3 accounts consolidated and open another when a new bonus code comes out. As I am not sure if it is the total number of accounts that starts raising flags with them.

I got canned after opening a 5th account, and withdrawing the cash balances from my other 4. I had opened 3 accounts with just the minimum and one with $50.

Of course, whats really annoying is that they won't merge accounts for you without a form that has to have a bank stamp on it. Fidelity has done this for me with no problems.

Xeon852 said: I got canned after opening a 5th account, and withdrawing the cash balances from my other 4. I had opened 3 accounts with just the minimum and one with $50.

Of course, whats really annoying is that they won't merge accounts for you without a form that has to have a bank stamp on it. Fidelity has done this for me with no problems.

I just filled out the form and faxed it in... no problem whatsoever. That was back in January.

EDIT: I just checked and my third bonus was just funded, so I am going to consolidate and and move on to number four.

The only thing that I have noticed is that the account I closed still shows up. Maybe it is for the reporting of taxes, and such, and will disappear after the filing deadline.

Dus10 said: Xeon852 said: I got canned after opening a 5th account, and withdrawing the cash balances from my other 4. I had opened 3 accounts with just the minimum and one with $50.

I just filled out the form and faxed it in... no problem whatsoever. That was back in January.

EDIT: I just checked and my third bonus was just funded, so I am going to consolidate and and move on to number four.

The only thing that I have noticed is that the account I closed still shows up. Maybe it is for the reporting of taxes, and such, and will disappear after the filing deadline.

Thanks for the heads up - will try just filling out the form and faxing it in.

As far as the account staying open, when I merged my fidelity accounts, they told me it would stay open for some defined ammount of time due to IRS and SEC regulation.

Dus10 said: EDIT: I just checked and my third bonus was just funded, so I am going to consolidate and and move on to number four.

So you are consolidating them before openning the next? That would sure make things simpler. I have my 3 accounts, my wifes 3 accounts and then 3 accounts for each of 4 kids under each of us for a total of 30 accounts each with $50-$70 in them.

YeOleImposter said: Dus10 said: EDIT: I just checked and my third bonus was just funded, so I am going to consolidate and and move on to number four.

So you are consolidating them before openning the next? That would sure make things simpler. I have my 3 accounts, my wifes 3 accounts and then 3 accounts for each of 4 kids under each of us for a total of 30 accounts each with $50-$70 in them.

Yes. I merged the second account with the first before I tried number three. Now, I will merge the third account with the first before I move on to the fourth.

How does opening these custodial accounts work? I opened one without the bonus, and I have not been able to use it at all. They want an excessive amount of information. Do you just send it to them, or am I being singled-out, so to speak?

Dus10 said: How does opening these custodial accounts work? I opened one without the bonus, and I have not been able to use it at all. They want an excessive amount of information. Do you just send it to them, or am I being singled-out, so to speak?

No, I just clicked the box and filled in a couple extra boxes with the kids information. Did not mail anything. I have not opened one for a couple of months (after I got shut down) but did just open a joint account with my wife - so I may just go try opening a new custodial account to see if they changed things.

$40 plus:
a copy of David Bach's "Automatic Millionaire"
a 1 year subscription to Money magazine

How to:

Go to www.youngmoney.com and click on Sharebuilder.

Shoot, it's changed...

I signed up for the fourth promo last night, but as a custodial account for my daughter. She wanted a certain video game console, for her upcoming birthday, so I bought her what will hopefully be just over one share of the company's stock (setup for a one-time tomorrow). What was weird to me was that there was no place to enter a promo code if I went through their site; I ended up canceling going through a link for the IPLANLIFE promo. Anyhow, I paid for it with my promo from my last account, and I will actually profit $9 (after fees), which leads me to another odd thing: there was no option to sign up for a free trial of the standard plan.

Maybe this all has to do with it being a custodial account... it would be a shame if this was across the board. Anyhow, I think it is great that she will become a stock owner before she turns nine. I never owned any equities at all until I was 21 (and event then it was through a 401(k) plan).

Next year I am going to get her some shares of an S&P index of some sort. This will give it plenty of time for her, hopefully.

Anyhow, I didn't want to chance getting my account dinged on number four, before I got the custodial accounts setup for my kids. My middle kid has a birthday that will be coming up shortly after the promo money from this time is deposited.

I never got any 1099s for all my account openings from last year. Anyone else?

Notice most of the bonus offers now state "Valid for first time account holders with Sahrebuilder". This statement never use to be in their wording before, so don't plan on opening a ton of accounts.

I combined all of my accounts into 1 for me, 1 for my wife, and 1 custodial account then received my cash checks. Their trading commissions are just too HIGH, compared to the Scottrades, Zecco, and SoGoInvest, to mention a few.

$7 is less than $4? My calculator must be broken again.

How do you combine all of the balances? I have signed up for several accounts/promotions and I would like to invest all of the bonus $ from one account. Is this possible?

WalStMonky said: $7 is less than $4? My calculator must be broken again.

$4 (buy) trades only if you sign up for their plans, either $144 per year or $240 per year. Otherwise $4 to buy $15.95 to sell. $25 IRA fee and I don't remember the transfer out fee, but there is one.

Scottrade (the highest of the ones I mentioned) has $7 buy and $7 sell trades, no fee IRA's and no transfer out fee.

SoGoInvest has $1 trades for the first 90 days, and then without any of their plans its $3 to buy and $3 to sell. I might be wrong, but isn't $3 less than $4?

Of course zecco is totally free trading. Maybe your "calculator" doesn't understand free but I think its less than $4.

Right, sorry, I forgot that other people sell stocks. I don't, so it's not something I think about. Anyway, SB has always paid me to trade with them, so I have a hard time thinking of them otherwise.

Where do you see 'first time account holders only' language on their offers? I checked a couple on the front page and all of them are worded as they always have been.

Me too! They got me on unlucky #4...

So what happens now? Do they close down all your accounts and electronically transfer the money back to your bank account? Any fees? Seems pretty nice they would just slap your wrist and then give back the money (minus the $4 commissions, albeit).

I've never heard of anyone getting thrown out. Just no more bonus soup for you.

I had a curious thing happen to me. I opened my first Sharebuilder account in 2001. Of course I linked a checking account, that being with TD Waterhouse Bank which has ceased to exist. I had a few dollars in cash in that account so I changed to my current account, and requested it be withdrawn. Well, something snafu'd and the transfer to USAA failed. So Sharebuilder sent it off to my old checking account, long since closed. The money was returned after a few days and I was able to reregister USAA and get the ETF completed correctly. But I thought it mighty peculiar that they decided to send it to an account which had been deleted.

Hey, my $25 bonus from 2001 is now worth almost $120.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014