• 1678 9 10
  • Page
  • Text Only
Linky

ING DIRECT ACQUIRES SHAREBUILDER

WILMINGTON, Del. ING DIRECT USA, the nation's largest direct bank (part of Netherlands-based ING NYSE: ING) announced today that it has completed its acquisition of ShareBuilder Corporation, a privately-held Seattle-based online financial services company. The acquisition which is part of ING DIRECT's latest step toward meeting the financial needs of Main Street, USA, will add cost-effective, simple investment options to ING DIRECT's consumer product offerings, which currently include online savings and checking accounts, CDs, Mutual Funds and mortgages.

Costco $55 Holiday Bonus for opening custodial account

$25 holiday bonus
As a special holiday incentive, we'll put a $25 bonus into the first custodial account you open this holiday season. Simply create an Automatic Investment Plan by January 15, 2008 and use it to invest at least $25 for three consecutive months. Just use the promotion code STOCKGIFT07 when you open the account.

It looks like the $25 offer is very marginal. With considerable work (free trial rate first month and then Basic rate for two months you pay $8 for an investment, and then perhaps 15.95 to sell it). It appears you have a "family" profit of a little more than a dollar which is earned on $75 invested.

Remember this is a profit only if you include your child in the accounting for a family profit. Your child is then the legal owner of the $75 you invested, plus the profits (and he has it when grown up), although you could use the money for his benefit.

Of course, if you want him to have a ownership position for the educational value (watching his share of MacDonalds etc. grow), this may be useful.

The COSTCO promtion appears more valuable at first glance.

Does anyon know if the COSTCO offer can be used for each child, or if it can be used only once.

As I read it, unlike the other offer it appears that you could satisfy the obligation ot make one trade with a relatively small sum of money (as little as $1.00), although of course they would hit you with the full fee when you sold it. This would suggest collecting bonus as profit and just holding what ever was bought on the hope that with much appreciation it might eventually cover the cost of selling it.Possibly, eventualy there would be some way to liquidate small positions with something left over.

Yes, you can open multiple custodial accounts. Only one per custodial/beneficiary combination will earn the bonus. So, your wife (with her own Costco membership) can get bonuses by opening custodial accounts for the same children. The custody over these accounts may further be transferred, and accounts merged. So, I would suggest buying the same security in each account for the same beneficiary. But why sell the fraction of a share and not just leave it there forever?

g10ny said: $25 holiday bonus
As a special holiday incentive, we'll put a $25 bonus into the first custodial account you open this holiday season. Simply create an Automatic Investment Plan by January 15, 2008 and use it to invest at least $25 for three consecutive months. Just use the promotion code STOCKGIFT07 when you open the account.

hmmm they're getting smarter and changing the terms!

With a single COSTCO membership and two cards (one for each spouse) does this mean each of you can open a set of accounts, one for each child or are you limited to one per child. (I do not have both cards handy to see if both have the same membership numbers on them).

Any body know what the practical limit is on number of accounts. Between grandchildren, nephews, etc. many of us have quite a few possible people we could make gifts to with an obvious educational benefit (from watching a small position grow, hopefully).

I suspect at some point they would stop you.

One possible reason not to leave an investment there for a long period of time would be the hassle meeting the legal obligation to report the earnings on income tax statements. This might be avoided by picking a non-dividend paying investment. In theory these stocks would have a higher rate of growth in value and might eventually reach a value that justified paying the commision to remove them and would leave the child with a more impressive growth in value. A few pennies in dividends could not be profitably invested in stocks at their fees.

If this is the only income a child has, they may not have to file a return, but over the years there is a risk they would eventually have to (or be included in their parents ones).

Especially for gifts outide of the immediate family (grandchildren, nephews etc.) you may not know the full circumstances of the child and end up having to forward statements, or subjecting the child's parents or himself to IRS questions.

There is also a risk that such small accounts would end up forfitted to the state because of a long period of inactivity, or forcing you to do a little work to avoid this fate.

They have cut the basic selling rate from about $15 to about $10, making the marginal investment a little better.

If you have small balances from previous promotions which you would eventually sell, you may pay only one selling commission if you consolidate the relevant accounts raising the potential benefit a little.

ProfessorEd, div reinvestment is free at Sharebuilder, so that part is taken care of. You're correct, it is a PITA to have an 8 cent line item on your 1040.

I opened three custodial accounts (one per son for three sons, they would not accept a request for a fourth for which an application had already been made by my wife) and by accident apparently one personal account under Costco promotion and bought a stock in each.

Logging on I see a note that they are unable to verify some information and are requesting various pieces of identification (driver's licenses, utility bills, and social security cards for all parties (because of age of young children, they are not on Equifax, etc.)and a statement they will sent the money back if it is not supplied (stocks have already been purchased), noting I had opened several accounts with the same information. What it loooks like, is that they suspect I was attracted by their generous offer and this is their way of getting out of it (hassle obviously big since I do not now know where the social security cards are for all of the children). I have had a small account for several years (dating from promtions several years ago, so they actually have my information on file). A similar request was not made of my wife who opened two custodial accounts (the marginal $25 promotion for one and a Costco promotion for another).

They apparently pulled Equifax giving me the chance to get a free report from them.

This tactic on their part (arguably required by the Patriot Act and possibly even prudent when they get several requests for custodial accounts with the same custodian) can make taking advantage of their offers less attractive.

As per the Costco mailing I received today, $90 Executive/$70 Goldstar and Businesss Member New Account bonuses will be offered from January 2nd through March 30th.

ProfessorEd said: I opened three custodial accounts (one per son for three sons, they would not accept a request for a fourth for which an application had already been made by my wife) and by accident apparently one personal account under Costco promotion and bought a stock in each.

Logging on I see a note that they are unable to verify some information and are requesting various pieces of identification (driver's licenses, utility bills, and social security cards for all parties (because of age of young children, they are not on Equifax, etc.)and a statement they will sent the money back if it is not supplied (stocks have already been purchased), noting I had opened several accounts with the same information. What it loooks like, is that they suspect I was attracted by their generous offer and this is their way of getting out of it (hassle obviously big since I do not now know where the social security cards are for all of the children). I have had a small account for several years (dating from promtions several years ago, so they actually have my information on file). A similar request was not made of my wife who opened two custodial accounts (the marginal $25 promotion for one and a Costco promotion for another).

They apparently pulled Equifax giving me the chance to get a free report from them.

This tactic on their part (arguably required by the Patriot Act and possibly even prudent when they get several requests for custodial accounts with the same custodian) can make taking advantage of their offers less attractive.

happening to me too

"ShareBuilder has been unable to verify some information you provided, and are unable to approve this account for activity. We may be able to expedite approval if you contact us and verify information. Click below for Fair Credit Reporting Disclosure"

When you open a custodial account, Do you say yes or no for this question?
"Do you have another ShareBuilder Account?" TIA.

Also, my son has only Tax id number. Can I open a custodial account? My daughter has SSN.

rdurai1 said: When you open a custodial account, Do you say yes or no for this question?
"Do you have another ShareBuilder Account?" TIA.

Also, my son has only Tax id number. Can I open a custodial account? My daughter has SSN.
When you say Tax ID number do you mean an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
If so, why doesn't/can't you son get/have a SSN?
That would solve your problem?

Just saw a TV ad for a $50 bonus for a new account. Didn't pay much attention to it. Don't know if there is a code.

stateofmind said: Just saw a TV ad for a $50 bonus for a new account. Didn't pay much attention to it. Don't know if there is a code.

It is just a link here.

I do most of my funds at fidelity ans T Rowe Price. I wouldn't mind signing up for the $50 but it seems tricky. If I invested $50, they would match $50. Then there would be a $4 fee for purchasing and a $5 fee for removing my funds eventually. Is this correct?

xCarsonx said: I do most of my funds at fidelity ans T Rowe Price. I wouldn't mind signing up for the $50 but it seems tricky. If I invested $50, they would match $50. Then there would be a $4 fee for purchasing and a $5 fee for removing my funds eventually. Is this correct?

Now that savings and CD rates are lower, I was thinking about opening up a sharebuilder account. Bank rates of just 4.5% or lower don't excite me. I don't know anything about stocks.

From what I can see on Sharebuilder, there is a cost both when you buy and when you sell. This can get pretty expensive unless you invest enough money AND get enough return to offset these costs. It's almost like you can do just as well with a 4.5% insured bank return. Anyone have thoughts?

Well, I took the plunge and opened up a Sharebuilder account. I know nothing at all about stock investing, but with bank rates going down, I figured it's worth a shot. (Most of my peers critique me because I keep all my money in banks, but I've actually out peformed many of them who invest in stocks because of high interest rates, bonuses, and general FW savvy.)

I took the $50 sign-on bonus with the first month free and created a very conservative portfolio. My first 6 free auto-trades start in about a week. The $50 bonus will be used to offset future costs of trading for a while. I'm investing no more than $150 a month to start.

I won't win big, but I shouldn't lose anything with my very conservative portfilio. Education. Pennies.

I don't see it listed, but until 3/30 there is a Costco promo (code coexecwall08) that offers
$90 for Exec members and $70 for Gold/Business members.

The link is http://www.sharebuilder.com/wallet08

Just signed up for the 50 bucks. Taking a gamble on the big C and will see if it is a break even affair.

My only screw up was not reading the forum and getting the standard and going for the basic.

Anyone have any experience on cashout?

I signed up for regular account with standard plan, a few weeks ago to take the advantage of $90 bonus for Costco executive member.

I opened a traditional IRA account with standard plan. I changed my mind and I called to upgrade from standard to advantage plan. The CSR told me that it was running a promotion where I could get the advantage plan for February and March for free. Meaning that I can do 20 trades next Tuesday AND 20 trades on March for free. I plan to buy enough ETFs and then I will switch to basic at the end of March. Basic = no fee as long as I have my regular account set with standard plan.

stsarvet said: I plan to buy enough ETFs and then I will switch to basic at the end of March. Basic = no fee as long as I have my regular account set with standard plan.

Remember you will have to pay to SELL each of your ETFs. IMHO, you should keep as few positions as possible - preferably only one, well-diversified fund.

Is there any indication about the $50 sign up bonus in an e-mail or in your account somewhere? Or how do you check on it?

Stabs said: Is there any indication about the $50 sign up bonus in an e-mail or in your account somewhere? Or how do you check on it?

when you open the account you will receive a confirmation email about the promotion terms. When you complete the requirement you will receive an email saying you satisfy the promotion terms and bonus will be deposited accordingly.

For sharebuilder, once you've purchased with the automatic investment plan ($4 per trade), I've seen a number of people refer to a cost of $16 to sell. I can't find that on their site. If you purchase with the automatic investment, and make sure your purchase roughly approximates whole shares, then when you sell can't you liquidate all of your full shares with a single regular trade ($10)? I'm going to invest a little bit with them because of the $50 promotion, just a single stock. But I don't know whether to just purchase with a regular trade ($10), or use the $4 option and try to get the amount to equal a number of full shares plus a little extra.

Thanks.

Bargaineering
$50 Promos:
50GO28
50CITIZENS

www.sharebuilder.com/passport08
$70 or $90 account bonus for signup for Costco members

You will be eligible to receive a $90 Account Bonus (for Executive Members) or a $70 Account Bonus (for Gold Star and Business Members) when your Costco membership number has been entered in the ShareBuilder account set-up process and verified. You will receive an Account Bonus posted to your ShareBuilder account approximately 6-8 weeks after your first stock purchase. Offer valid with new ShareBuilder Joint, Individual and Custodial account types. Offer excludes Individual Retirement Accounts and Education Savings Accounts. Not valid with any other offers. Limit one ShareBuilder promotional award per unique customer or custodial beneficiary. ShareBuilder and Costco reserve the right to terminate this offer at anytime. Offer ends 08/24/08 and you must complete your first stock purchase by 10/31/08.

Does anyone know if I can use my Father's executive membership number for Costco to open an account in my name? I offered to keep it in his name but I didn't think about tax complications (which he brought up and shot me down ).

What do you guys think about the Continental promotion:

OnePass members will receive 2,000 miles after opening a new account and purchasing their first security. OnePass members who subscribe to either the Standard or Advantage investing program each month will earn 175 additional miles for each month they are subscribed.

2,000 miles + 2,100 annually - not bad?

Link

Imacyco said: Does anyone know if I can use my Father's executive membership number for Costco to open an account in my name? I offered to keep it in his name but I didn't think about tax complications (which he brought up and shot me down ).
Yep. I did just that.

TheGMan said: Bargaineering
$50 Promos:
50GO28
50CITIZENS

Any new info on stopping limits for multiple account promo dipping? It seems the previous posters were stopped around 4, but that was awhile ago and I'm not sure if policies have changed. I actually did sign up for 2 accounts with each of these promo codes and received confirmation that I qualified for each one after I made the trades. I'm tempted to open two more with the PenFed and Suntrust promos but don't want to jeopardize the promos I just qualified for. I'll wait the 4-6 weeks for the bonus to post and then open the other two. Anyone have recent luck doing 4 accounts at once?

I just noticed this one through First Tech Credit Union
$30 bonus using 30FIRSTTECH as the promo code
First Tech Sharebuilder Promo

When you go through this link there is no option to open Standard or Basic plan account. The next screen gives you option to open Individial, Joint, IRA and Custodial accounts. Does this means that if I pick any of these accounts I will have the option to select Free trial at the ebd?

Update: I got it.

BrianGa said: www.sharebuilder.com/passport08
$70 or $90 account bonus for signup for Costco members

You will be eligible to receive a $90 Account Bonus (for Executive Members) or a $70 Account Bonus (for Gold Star and Business Members) when your Costco membership number has been entered in the ShareBuilder account set-up process and verified. You will receive an Account Bonus posted to your ShareBuilder account approximately 6-8 weeks after your first stock purchase. Offer valid with new ShareBuilder Joint, Individual and Custodial account types. Offer excludes Individual Retirement Accounts and Education Savings Accounts. Not valid with any other offers. Limit one ShareBuilder promotional award per unique customer or custodial beneficiary. ShareBuilder and Costco reserve the right to terminate this offer at anytime. Offer ends 08/24/08 and you must complete your first stock purchase by 10/31/08.

Any current $50 sign-up codes?

I don't know if anyone even checks this thread anymore but for those who open new account for the 50$ bonus. When you sign up for the second time do you select that you have an existing account or not? I plan to wait 2 months in between each bonus.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014