• 132 33 343536
  • Page
  • Text Only
SUCKISSTAPLES said: you can apply for citi forward today

You can apply for AMEX blue today

Is there a translation for points to cash for citi forward? I might have missed it but I couldn't find
it here http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/citiforward/single/external...

craig10x said: Pondus said: ColbyS, there has been a report of a recent opening of an AB card of interest. Just saying.

Yes...but all the remaining Associated Bank 5% Card that weren't converted and then closed by Citibank (including any recent applications that were able to get and keep the card for now) will be moving over to US Bank (their new owner) within the next 5 to 6 months...Once they do, why would US Bank want to continue the deal? Odds are they will become 1% cards at that time...so there is a good chance it is just a temporary "reprieve" for those who still have it...
craig, craig, craig, its barely the start of the new year and you are speculating again

ah..ellory..name one US Bank card with 5% Cash Back rewards and i will stop "speculating"

kaneohe said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: you can apply for citi forward today

Is there a translation for points to cash for citi forward? I might have missed it but I couldn't find
it here http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/citiforward/single/external...

The bonus categories earn 5 TYP / $.
Other purchases earn 1 TYP / $.

A variety of $100 retail, restaurant, and hotel gift cards are available for 10k points (see this thread)
A $100 mortgage payment or student loan rebate is 12.7k points.
Prepaid Visa gift cards (redeemable wherever Visa is accepted) are 14k points.
A $100 statement credit is 14.5k points.
$100 cash is 16k points.

For the 5 TYP categories, this means the effective Cash Back percentages are as follows:
5% for $100/10k gift cards
3.94% for mortgage payments or student loan rebates
3.57% for prepaid Visa gift cards
3.45% for prepaid Visa gift cards
3.13% for cash

craig10x said: ah..ellory..name one US Bank card with 5% Cash Back rewards and i will stop "speculating" I don't have to. I claim no special insights. I will say that the 5% Chase card that I have - the one that you said would be dead 2 or 3 years ago - is still going strong.

As I said, I have no special insights, but then, neither do you

No, i don't know what their plans are, either..but seeing that US Bank has never had and does not presently have any 5% cash rewards programs, i wouldn't be overly optimistic if i were you...which is all i am saying here...

And, yes, i still have my Rewards Plus with 5% from Chase which amazingly still has not been converted by them to this date....with that one i just keep my fingers crossed and hope it continues to stay as it is for as long as possible....This was a case where Chase's slow and sporadic way of converting old rewards programs has worked in our favor...If this has been a Citi card, we would have been "kissing it goodbye" a long time ago.....

mttatkns said: kaneohe said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: you can apply for citi forward today

Is there a translation for points to cash for citi forward?

For the 5 TYP categories, this means the effective Cash Back percentages are as follows:
5% for $100/10k gift cards
3.94% for mortgage payments or student loan rebates
3.57% for prepaid Visa gift cards
3.45% for prepaid Visa gift cards
3.13% for cash

mttatkns.............thanks, appreciate the translation.

mttatkns said:

A variety of $100 retail, restaurant, and hotel gift cards are available for 10k points (see this thread)

If you read through that thread, you'll find that Citi is continually devaluing the points by removing awards, removing points if an account is closed, expiring points, etc. There are very few $100 gift cards available to places that one would actually want to shop. I would not consider Citi Forward a "5%" card as useful redemption options are not going to meet this value.

neo1022 said: mttatkns said:

If you read through that thread, you'll find that Citi is continually devaluing the points by removing awards, removing points if an account is closed, expiring points, etc. There are very few $100 gift cards available to places that one would actually want to shop. I would not consider Citi Forward a "5%" card as useful redemption options are not going to meet this value.

Except for the Expedia use. This still gives 1-1 (minus 800pt booking) and is the best redemption (unless you are actually buying things at Sears, Chilis, etc.)

neo1022 said: PhrostByte said: What do you mean there's no 5% cards left? I have 3 that I opened in the past two years: PenFed, Associated Bank, and Citi Forward.

There are no 5% cards that someone can sign up for today. You are lucky and writing that message was just rubbing it in our faces.

I'm surprised I got red for that post. You can still sign up for all the cards I mentioned.

Are there any CCs left which offer 5% CashBack for gas/grocery.

Aitchly said:
Except for the Expedia use. This still gives 1-1 (minus 800pt booking) and is the best redemption (unless you are actually buying things at Sears, Chilis, etc.)

The way Staples is going, there might be a lot of good Staples deals available too, with all of their FAR and 100% Staples Rewards stuff - check the Hot Deals forum.

ShakuniMama said: Are there any CCs left which offer 5% CashBack for gas/grocery.There are currently no cc's with permanent 5% gas and grocery categories and no annual fee that can be applied for online.

mttatkns said: ShakuniMama said: Are there any CCs left which offer 5% CashBack for gas/grocery.There are currently no cc's with permanent 5% gas and grocery categories and no annual fee that can be applied for online.

You can sign up for the PenFed online and Associated Bank over the phone.. it's an automated system and only takes 10 minutes.

PhrostByte said: mttatkns said: ShakuniMama said: Are there any CCs left which offer 5% CashBack for gas/grocery.There are currently no cc's with permanent 5% gas and grocery categories and no annual fee that can be applied for online.

You can sign up for the PenFed online and Associated Bank over the phone.. it's an automated system and only takes 10 minutes.
Hence my careful wording Penfed doesn't cover groceries; Associated Bank can only be applied for over the phone and has already been sold to US Bank so the future of the rewards program is uncertain and opening a new card at this time might not make sense, depending upon how much one would benefit from the rewards and how much they value a hard inquiry, lowered average account age, etc.

and US Bank takes over those Associated Bank 5% cards in about the next 4 or 5 months....and then it's up to them what they want to do as far as the rewards program for that card is concerned..so keep that in mind...

Yea.. well.. I signed up for the card Q4 last year and until they specifically tell me that my reward percentages are going to be dropped, I'm going to continue reaping the benefits.

PhrostByte said: Yea.. well.. I signed up for the card Q4 last year and until they specifically tell me that my reward percentages are going to be dropped, I'm going to continue reaping the benefits.

That's great...enjoy it...we were just pointing out that Citi is only continuing to manage it temporarily until US Bank can take those accounts (which includes yours) over which from what i read in financial articles on the web, should be by around July of this year...once it is in their possession...they decide what they want to do with them as far as rewards go...and it is well known that US Bank has no 5% cash rewards programs...

craig10x, you must be a lot of fun at parties, with all that talk of doom and gloom. How many times do you need to repeat this? Sure, US Bank could reduce the rewards, or, maybe, they bought this customer base for reason, included the 5% rewards cost in their financial calculation, and plan to keep it. I don't know and neither do you. Either way PhrostByte and I are going to enjoy the party while it lasts instead of wringing our hands that it will end one day. (I'm going to die one day too, but I don't sit around obsessing about it)

PhrostByte said: Yea.. well.. I signed up for the card Q4 last year and until they specifically tell me that my reward percentages are going to be dropped, I'm going to continue reaping the benefits.Good for you. My SO and I both did the same after our previous ones were transferred to Citi and closed. Between these two, and my 5% Chase Rewards card (that gloomy Craig insisted would be closed 3 years ago), I'm continuing to enjoy 5% EDP month after month after month

Its a GRAND party and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts

It's ok ellory...i understand...you figure that by commenting on my comments it will ward off the "evil spirits" that will remove your 5% cash rewards....if it makes you feel better..feel free to do so...but seriously...instead of living in the clouds....you should come down to earth and be a realist..why the heck would US Bank want to continue a 5% program...because they love the new citi accounts that they took on rather reluctantly? Oh yes..you are right...absolutely!..

In Chase's case..as i explained only a million times...the only reason you and i still have that 5% is because Chase has ALWAYS has a strange way of going about phasing old programs out..we simply benefited by their inertia and not knowing what the heck they are doing half the time...But Citi didn't have any inertia when they ended their 5% programs...and i'd be awfully surprised if US Bank operates like Chase, either...

I occasionally drop in here to see if anything new is going on. Nothing is.

mttatkns said: PhrostByte said: mttatkns said: ShakuniMama said: Are there any CCs left which offer 5% CashBack for gas/grocery.There are currently no cc's with permanent 5% gas and grocery categories and no annual fee that can be applied for online.

Hence my careful wording Penfed doesn't cover groceries; Associated Bank can only be applied for over the phone and has already been sold to US Bank so the future of the rewards program is uncertain and opening a new card at this time might not make sense, depending upon how much one would benefit from the rewards and how much they value a hard inquiry, lowered average account age, etc.

It is quite easy for many of us to rack up the $300 maximum annual rewards for 2010 on the AB card before US Bank shows up to the party. Even those that only apply for the AB card today might find the temporary 5% on EDPs worth the probable Experian pull and a new account. Don't people open useless CCs for $100 sign-up bonuses? Many of our AB cards were just going to rest in the drawer by June anyway, and US Bank's tweaks might just be the motivation to get the card back out, if they actually want some use out of this portfolio. And if they don't, that Experian inquiry will have aged some when we are looking for something better. As far as temporary rewards cards go, this one is very hard to beat.

ellory said: PhrostByte said: Yea.. well.. I signed up for the card Q4 last year and until they specifically tell me that my reward percentages are going to be dropped, I'm going to continue reaping the benefits.Good for you. My SO and I both did the same after our previous ones were transferred to Citi and closed. Between these two, and my 5% Chase Rewards card (that gloomy Craig insisted would be closed 3 years ago), I'm continuing to enjoy 5% EDP month after month after month

Its a GRAND party and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts

Exactly. It's not as if I'm unaware that AB got sold to US Bank, it's that I choose not to believe speculation until I'm offered substantial evidence. The fact that US Bank doesn't issue 5% cards doesn't bother me at all. I'm a skeptic and I choose not to believe things without evidence. Until my lender specifically tells me that my rewards program is going extinct, I'm going to continue using the AB card, since it's one of the best cards around that is still available to most people.

I give up...it's like "talking to the wall" with you two...
Actually...i think i'd have a more intelligent conversation talking to the wall...

craig10x said: I give up...it's like "talking to the wall" with you two...
Actually...i think i'd have a more intelligent conversation talking to the wall...
You seem to be forgetting that

You're the one who
1. Who years ago, abandoned Chase because you didn't like their service and swore never to go back
2. Became a fanboy of Citibank because they had 5% CashBack and their service was great
3. Decided you hated Citibank when they canceled the 5% and went back to Chase - who you swore you never would go back to
4. Claimed some secret insight into Chase's business plans and once a few people had their 5% CB cards canceled, predicted imminent demise of the program
5. When it didn't happen, continued to predict that the sky was falling and that it was Chase's incompetence
6. Eventually added an Associated Bank Card and when the US Bank sale happened, began predicting doom and gloom again

I'm the one, who

1. Saw that rewards cards were being reduced
2. Applied for and received a wide range of 5$ CashBack cards as a strategy to retain /extend the program benefits for me.
3. Still have one (of my original 4) Chase 5% EDP cards open
4. Still have an AMEX Blue Cash (which I think has 5% EDP once min spend is met)
5. Successfully applied for and received two Associated Bank 5% cards after my two prior ones were closed when they were sold to Citi
6. Claim no special insights on Chase, Associated Bank, or US Bank plans, but plan to continue to receive 5% as long as the programs exist 7. Don't spend my time preaching doom and gloom about things I cannot control, but instead put myself in a position to maximize my rewards under a variety of possible scenarios

And you think you're the one talking to the wall? Pot, meet kettle

so smug...so superior aren't you...yep you have all the answers.....meanwhile, when Citi closed your AB account you came crawling back to them and reopened with a new AB account just so you could desperately hang on to the 5% rewards until the last possible moment!

I don't appreciate that you give people the impression that AB has a very good chance of staying a 5% card for the long run....where as i give a more realistic view that anyone going into now should realize there is an excellent chance that within 6 months or less the program will likely be gone, so just know that going in, because US Bank is not one to keep a 5% cash rewards program...it's different if someone already has the card and has decided to run with it to the end....

but anyone applying now if they can still get it, should know the reality of the situation and know going in and they will NOT be able to convert it to another Citicard..these accounts are going to US Bank and you will be stuck with them or have to close it when it arrives over there......and i am done with this thread...

craig10x said: when Citi closed your AB account you came crawling back to them and reopened with a new AB account just so you could desperately hang on to the 5% rewards until the last possible moment!Yes, my Associated Back credit card was closed when it was sold to Citi. I was quite public about it. Unlike you I don't take this personally. I had already maximized my rewards in 2009. I neither crawled nor was desperate. Instead I made a financial decision, not an emotional decision to reapply for a replacement card so I could maximize my rewards. Which I received

Unless you work for Associated Bank or Elan Financial services, or can post a more current article. or have special insights (I don't), everything else is speculation. Could Associated and Elan decide to close the accounts or reduce benefits? Possible? Of course. Likely, given that there are few 5% EDP rebate cards? Perhaps. Having this card I guarantee I can earn $300 (or $600 with two cards) in rebates this year (by buying grocery gift cards in necessary) and perhaps more in future years. By not having this card I can guarantee my rebates will be $0. I chose to maximize my rebates. Is that being superior? Or is that simply exercising sound planning?

These are the facts that I know of

Press Release Sept 3, 2009
"We're excited to partner with Associated to develop an integrated credit card program that will help them deepen relationships with their customers,” said Deanna Corona, senior vice president and general manager of Elan Financial Services. “With our best-in-class products and dedication to outstanding customer service, Elan delivers a complete end-to-end solution. We support marketing, training and in-branch servicing in addition to providing a technology platform to support the entire card program.”

By purchasing Associated Bank’s credit card portfolio, Elan provides behind-the-scenes support and structure for the program, which will continue to be branded and marketed under the Associated Bank name with the common goal of growing the portfolio. The portfolio will be converted in the second quarter of 2010, and all of the new products and services will be made available to clients at that time. No additional steps will be necessary on behalf of the customer.

craig10x said: so smug...so superior aren't you...yep you have all the answers.....meanwhile, when Citi closed your AB account you came crawling back to them and reopened with a new AB account just so you could desperately hang on to the 5% rewards until the last possible moment!

I don't appreciate that you give people the impression that AB has a very good chance of staying a 5% card for the long run....where as i give a more realistic view that anyone going into now should realize there is an excellent chance that within 6 months or less the program will likely be gone, so just know that going in, because US Bank is not one to keep a 5% cash rewards program...it's different if someone already has the card and has decided to run with it to the end....

but anyone applying now if they can still get it, should know the reality of the situation and know going in and they will NOT be able to convert it to another Citicard..these accounts are going to US Bank and you will be stuck with them or have to close it when it arrives over there......and i am done with this thread...

The bottom line is that you claim to have insight into a situation where you lack it. You can't accurately predict the future, neither can I. All we can do is use the evidence we have to make conclusions. My evidence tells me to continue using a rewards card that benefits my fat wallet.

Take it to PM.

=) Everybody is right =)

I didn't read everything but from what I read:

1) Currently AB card is offering 5% on EDP. Whoever qualified and wants 5% "now!" should apply and get it. [no debate here]
2) AB card may stop giving 5% on EDP when they are moved over to US Bank. [no debate here either, there's always a possibility]

Unless (for #1) you know the offer is closed OR (for #2) you can go into the future and see that 5% will be always and eternal, there's really no point to debate either statement.

=) I know we can't all agree, but maybe we can move on from this debate? =)

I also poke in to see what strategies are being used.
I actually just requested my wife convert her Citi Platinum Select to a Citi Forward.
It took about 10 minutes on the phone with the CSR and everything was done.

So the best cards I'm aware of are below. There are probably some missing from the list, but feel free to update me. I'd be more than happy to learn about them! =) Thanks!:

1) Chase Card (no longer available - only applicable to legacy card holders)
  • 5% EDP

2) AB (available to all)
  • 5% EDP

3) Penfed Visa (available to Military and one-time fee of $20 for those who join NMFA)
  • 5% Gas,
  • 2% Groceries,
  • 1% (previously 1.25%) everything else

4) Schwab Invest First Visa (available to all, must have brokerage account to receive Cash Back)
  • 2% EDP

5) Citi Forward (available to all)
  • 5 TYP for purchases at bookstore (Amazon), restaurants, movies, music
  • 1 TYP for everything else

6) Fidelity Retirement Rewards AMEX (available to all, must have Fidelity account to sweep Cash Back)
  • 2% EDP

7) AMEX True Earnings Costco Card (available to all)
  • 3% Gasoline, restaurants
  • 2% Travel
  • 1% everything else

8) Citi Blue Cash
  • 1st $6,500 of Eligible Purchases (1% for Everyday Purchases and 0.5% for all other Eligible Purchases)
  • For Eligible Purchases of $6,500.01 or more
    (5% for Everyday Purchases and 1.25% for all other Eligible Purchases)

• "Everyday Purchases" are Eligible Purchases made at the following categories of U.S. merchants that are not departments of superstores or warehouse clubs: supermarkets, drugstores, and automobile gasoline stations (for purchases of automobile gasoline only, except that any purchase in excess of $400 at an automobile gasoline station will not qualify as an Everyday Purchase).

]LI]"Eligible Purchases" are charges to your account for goods or services that have not been returned or otherwise credited to your account. Eligible Purchases do not include finance charges, fees, cash advances or other means of accessing your account, convenience checks, balance transfers, or the purchase of American Express ® Travelers Cheques and American Express ® Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents.

Great post.

howie888 said: =) Everybody is right =)

I didn't read everything but from what I read:

1) Currently AB card is offering 5% on EDP. Whoever qualified and wants 5% "now!" should apply and get it. [no debate here]
2) AB card may stop giving 5% on EDP when they are moved over to US Bank. [no debate here either, there's always a possibility]

Unless (for #1) you know the offer is closed OR (for #2) you can go into the future and see that 5% will be always and eternal, there's really no point to debate either statement.

=) I know we can't all agree, but maybe we can move on from this debate? =)

I also poke in to see what strategies are being used.
I actually just requested my wife convert her Citi Platinum Select to a Citi Forward.
It took about 10 minutes on the phone with the CSR and everything was done.

So the best cards I'm aware of are below. There are probably some missing from the list, but feel free to update me. I'd be more than happy to learn about them! =) Thanks!:

1) Chase Card (no longer available - only applicable to legacy card holders)
  • 5% EDP

2) AB (available to all)
  • 5% EDP

3) Penfed Visa (available to Military and one-time fee of $20 for those who join NMFA)
  • 5% Gas,
  • 2% Groceries,
  • 1% (previously 1.25%) everything else

4) Schwab Invest First Visa (available to all, must have brokerage account to receive Cash Back)
  • 2% EDP

5) Citi Forward (available to all)
  • 5 TYP for purchases at bookstore (Amazon), restaurants, movies, music
  • 1 TYP for everything else

6) Fidelity Retirement Rewards AMEX (available to all, must have Fidelity account to sweep Cash Back)
  • 2% EDP

7) AMEX True Earnings Costco Card (available to all)
  • 3% Gasoline, restaurants
  • 2% Travel
  • 1% everything else

8) Citi Blue Cash
  • 1st $6,500 of Eligible Purchases (1% for Everyday Purchases and 0.5% for all other Eligible Purchases)
  • For Eligible Purchases of $6,500.01 or more
    (5% for Everyday Purchases and 1.25% for all other Eligible Purchases)

• "Everyday Purchases" are Eligible Purchases made at the following categories of U.S. merchants that are not departments of superstores or warehouse clubs: supermarkets, drugstores, and automobile gasoline stations (for purchases of automobile gasoline only, except that any purchase in excess of $400 at an automobile gasoline station will not qualify as an Everyday Purchase).

]LI]"Eligible Purchases" are charges to your account for goods or services that have not been returned or otherwise credited to your account. Eligible Purchases do not include finance charges, fees, cash advances or other means of accessing your account, convenience checks, balance transfers, or the purchase of American Express ® Travelers Cheques and American Express ® Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents.

You might want to differentiate what you've listed as EDP, since Schwab and Fidelity are 2% on all purchases while AB and Chase are 5% only on specific categories (e.g. supermakets/gas stations/drugstores).

5% Associated Bank
How does the reward work? Is it....as long as you are over $50, you get it all like Citi used to do, or is it only in increments
of $50? Since there was talk of rewards changing, there was an idea not to claim the reward immediately once you got over $50
so that you could get out quickly w/ full rewards once notice was given and not orphan rewards that were building towards the next
$50. Of course that assumes that the bank would give you time to get out and not change immediately.

What is the Associated Bank's current policy on payouts and what's the best strategy to avoid losing rewards?
Anyone have trouble claiming rewards?

mttatkns said: You might want to differentiate what you've listed as EDP, since Schwab and Fidelity are 2% on all purchases while AB and Chase are 5% only on specific categories (e.g. supermakets/gas stations/drugstores).

Actually Schwing is 2% EDP and Fido is 1.5% EDP Visa & 2% EDP American Express . Schwing is forex fee free and Fido is not for either version. Big differences between the two.

fortwo said: mttatkns said: You might want to differentiate what you've listed as EDP, since Schwab and Fidelity are 2% on all purchases while AB and Chase are 5% only on specific categories (e.g. supermakets/gas stations/drugstores).

Actually Schwing is 2% EDP and Fido is 1.5% EDP Visa & 2% EDP American Express . Schwing is forex fee free and Fido is not for either version. Big differences between the two.
Actually you have no idea what you are talking about, because all of the cards you referenced are straight CashBack cards, which means that they provide the referenced percentages on ALL purchases, not just EDP (i.e. supermakets/gas stations/drugstores). You also may wish to learn how to spell Schwab.

How to get AB card now? All they say when I call the customer care is 3% CB card.Any ideas?

I received a letter from Associated Bank today that states "we are updating and improving our credit card program to better serve you." A new "better" card will be sent in April with a new number, thus probably ending the 5% goodness I've come to enjoy so much from this card.

kingfisher1111 said: How to get AB card now? All they say when I call the customer care is 3% CB card.Any ideas?Time Machine

Called in to AB to get my rebate (since I have no idea what they are planning on doing with my card rebates when they switch) and the gentleman on the phone explained that my card was going to US Bank. Hence the new card number, etc. He had no information on what the new "better" program would entail.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 132 33 343536
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014