• 13233 34 3536
  • Page
  • Text Only
MiniViper said: I received a letter from Associated Bank today that states "we are updating and improving our credit card program to better serve you." A new "better" card will be sent in April with a new number, thus probably ending the 5% goodness I've come to enjoy so much from this card.

I got the same letter yesterday. I just called the # on the letter: 1-800-236-8866. They said the Associated bank card will be transferred from Citibank to Elan Financial Services (a division of Usbank). When that happens, the rewards will be 3% for gas, grocery, drugstores, instead of 5%.

They will send the new cards (with new card #) between March 29 - Apr 14. Technically you still earn 5% rewards on the old card until you activate the new card. So I think it's best to wait until the last possible date to activate the new card. The March & April stmts will still be for 5% rewards, and May stmt will show 3% rewards.

The reward balances are supposed to transfer automatically to the new card. But i think it's best to cash out right before you activate the new card, assuming you have more than the minimum $50 in rewards.

I'll probably continue to use this Associated Bank card even after it becomes 3% rewards because I don't have any other card that earns more than 3% for those categories.

kingfisher1111 said: How to get AB card now? All they say when I call the customer care is 3% CB card.Any ideas?
No longer available and it's future (for those that have it) is unknown at this point as the accounts are going to US Bank within the next month or two....the website says they will get new cards with all new rewards programs...

And the best all new rewards programs their website is offering is 3% back on Grocery/Gas/Stores with a limit on the bonus points set at 2000 pts per year..to give you a big whopping $20 bonus...sounds fantastic doesn't it? (not...lol)...and 1% on everything else with no point limit (that's generous...lol)

Oh i see pakie says he got a letter that it's becoming the new 3% card? If that's the case...the deal is what i just outlined...so you may want to look for a better cash rewards card at this point...it's really a 1% unlimited points cards with the opportunity to earn a $20 bonus each year, using those 3 types of purchases...

Today I finally received the letter.

I called the number on the letter and was told that a new credit line will be shown on my credit report and the credit history would not be transfered. NOT good.

She also said without doubt that the new reward structure will be 3% points for grocery.

tomprc said: Today I finally received the letter.

I called the number on the letter and was told that a new credit line will be shown on my credit report and the credit history would not be transfered. NOT good.

She also said without doubt that the new reward structure will be 3% points for grocery.

and did she mentioned that the extra points has a maximum of 2000 points per year (or a total of a $20 bonus)...that's what it says in the fine print of the disclosure section on the application for their new 3% card...

$20 cap... They successfully created a joke even better than Discover

craig10x said: tomprc said: Today I finally received the letter.

and did she mentioned that the extra points has a maximum of 2000 points per year (or a total of a $20 bonus)...that's what it says in the fine print of the disclosure section on the application for their new 3% card...

no she did not tell me because I did not ask, i guess.

if the new credit line is true, can't we close this card before the conversion to avoid the double credit lines?

tomprc said: no she did not tell me because I did not ask, i guess.

if the new credit line is true, can't we close this card before the conversion to avoid the double credit lines?

You might want to call and ask them to check....because if it is being converted to the 3% card that they just began advertising on their website, then that is the deal with it...

I had applied for the card, mistakingly thinking that it was a normal type of 3% on Grocery/Gas/Drug Stores in the way that the Chase Freedom Card use to be....
I had not noticed the fine print in the disclosure on the application page...

When someone here mentioned about the 2000 points per year cap, i called up and the CSR didn't know off hand...she had to look it up...and sure enough she confirmed it was 2000 points cap per year for the bonus points on those catagories and after that it's a straight 1% like everything else...

I asked for the number to call to get to the Credit Department and i called them and fortunately was able to cancel the application before it was reviewed....

So, would be wise to confirm...and then report back here to the thread...I'd imagine most here will not want to keep the card under those terms...

I think the way they advertise this card is extremely deceiving...it should be mentioned on the main information page about it...you should not have to dig into the fine print to find the "gotcha"

I think I'm going to get my $50 payout and then never use this card again... instead I'm considering these cards now:

Fort Knox Platinum
Charles Schwab 2%

already have a Citi Forward, PenFed Platinum, and this card of course.

pakle said: MiniViper said: I received a letter from Associated Bank today that states "we are updating and improving our credit card program to better serve you." A new "better" card will be sent in April with a new number, thus probably ending the 5% goodness I've come to enjoy so much from this card.

I got the same letter yesterday. I just called the # on the letter: 1-800-236-8866. They said the Associated bank card will be transferred from Citibank to Elan Financial Services (a division of Usbank). When that happens, the rewards will be 3% for gas, grocery, drugstores, instead of 5%.

They will send the new cards (with new card #) between March 29 - Apr 14. Technically you still earn 5% rewards on the old card until you activate the new card. So I think it's best to wait until the last possible date to activate the new card. The March & April stmts will still be for 5% rewards, and May stmt will show 3% rewards.

The reward balances are supposed to transfer automatically to the new card. But i think it's best to cash out right before you activate the new card, assuming you have more than the minimum $50 in rewards.

I'll probably continue to use this Associated Bank card even after it becomes 3% rewards because I don't have any other card that earns more than 3% for those categories.

I just called Associated Bank again, and they confirmed that the cap on the bonus categories is indeed 2000 pts a year as reported before. That translates to a maximum of $1000 in gas, grocery, and Drugstore purchases a year.

I bought a $200 gc to my favorite grocery store on the current card (Citi) which doesn't count toward the Elan card so I shouldn't hit the bonus cap on the Elan this year, but next year, i don't know...

ok, so if AB is not going to be the same in near future, going to change for worse inevitably. Then, cannot get Chase 5% anymore cause of it is gone and originals only still getting it for limited time...THEN, is the Schwab 2% card the best credit deal right now? Interesting reads, but tired of reading through the long thread...Who has the best deals as of now?
Hate to get all tied into Schwab with the brokerage deal too, but is it the best deal now?

Schwab is one of the best deals around...and you don't have to really use the brokerage at all (though when you see some of the the good stuff they have you might want to...but they certainly won't force you to...You can just use the Moneylink transfer in the brokerage to transfer your rewards out...if you wish....The nice thing about the set-up is they put the rewards in monthly..you don't have to wait until you have enough points to get, say, a $50 check....

And yep...based on what i am reading here (and after checking out the new 3% card that these cards are being converted to)...Associated Bank deal is a closed (or rather closing) book...

Actually.. now that I think about it, the 3% off groceries aspect of it aint too bad.

PhrostByte said: Actually.. now that I think about it, the 3% off groceries aspect of it aint too bad.

It would be...if it didn't have a 2000 point per year cap...That's only an extra $20 bonus per year...

craig10x said: Schwab is one of the best deals around...and you don't have to really use the brokerage at all (though when you see some of the the good stuff they have you might want to...but they certainly won't force you to...You can just use the Moneylink transfer in the brokerage to transfer your rewards out...if you wish....The nice thing about the set-up is they put the rewards in monthly..you don't have to wait until you have enough points to get, say, a $50 check....

And yep...based on what i am reading here (and after checking out the new 3% card that these cards are being converted to)...Associated Bank deal is a closed (or rather closing) book...

Rough credit market right now. Great information on the Schwab credit package. Thanks.

you're welcome...and you might like the features of Investor Checking also....i do (have had it over 2 years now)...

craig10x said: PhrostByte said: Actually.. now that I think about it, the 3% off groceries aspect of it aint too bad.

It would be...if it didn't have a 2000 point per year cap...That's only an extra $20 bonus per year...

If you're strictly using the card for grocery shopping.. it may or may not be worth it.

I plan to abandon my Associated Card when it turns over to 3%. I still have two old 5% cards (Chase Cash Plus and HSBC Direct Rewards) which have been grandfathered in.

So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?Sadly there aren't many other options that are currently available and not depreciating. Discover and Chase Freedom offer the highest CashBack percentage when it is one of their rotating categories, but aside from those and the limited AB spending, the best choice might be Schwab at straight 2%...

what about Chase Business credit card which gives 3% CashBack on most of the things?

defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

Penfed Visa Earn 2.00% Cash Back on supermarket purchases

Well crap. I got my letter today and yep, 3% now for Cash Back. That's awful. I guess I'll be using my Chase Freedom card more now. At least they have 5% back in some categories. It'll be a Signature card whatever that means? Is that a good thing? All I know about a Signature card is you can get a BOGO free movie ticket from Fandango.

Well crap. I got my letter today and yep, 3% now for Cash Back. That's awful. I guess I'll be using my Chase Freedom card more now. At least they have 5% back in some categories. It'll be a Signature card whatever that means? Is that a good thing? All I know about a Signature card is you can get a BOGO free movie ticket from Fandango.

diddlydudette said: Well crap. I got my letter today and yep, 3% now for Cash Back. That's awful. I guess I'll be using my Chase Freedom card more now. At least they have 5% back in some categories. It'll be a Signature card whatever that means? Is that a good thing? All I know about a Signature card is you can get a BOGO free movie ticket from Fandango.Generally good for the credit card company and bad for the consumer and merchant. Banks like signature cards because they earn higher interchange fees. There are some additional benefits (BTW the Fandango deal is no longer BOGO free), but the biggest downside is that these cards don't report the credit limit to credit bureaus, which means that unless you use your line in full, the reported utilization percentage will be higher and there will be a (likely minimal) negative impact on your credit score.

diddlydudette said: Well crap. I got my letter today and yep, 3% now for Cash Back. That's awful. I guess I'll be using my Chase Freedom card more now. At least they have 5% back in some categories. It'll be a Signature card whatever that means? Is that a good thing? All I know about a Signature card is you can get a BOGO free movie ticket from Fandango.
You might be overly generous with the description of this turd as a 3% back card. Most of us expect the bonus 2% (above the unlimited 1%) in the bonus categories to be limited to $20/year, just like their new cards. Makes you wonder who AB/Elan think their competition for CC spending is, other straight 1% cards pretending to be something better?

diddlydudette said: Well crap. I got my letter today and yep, 3% now for Cash Back. That's awful. I guess I'll be using my Chase Freedom card more now. At least they have 5% back in some categories. It'll be a Signature card whatever that means? Is that a good thing? All I know about a Signature card is you can get a BOGO free movie ticket from Fandango.

What card are you referencing?

angelmartinez said: defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

Not to belabor the point, but I feel that the best cash rewards cc is the SCHWAB VISA (if you can still get it) -- very thorough (but humane) app process; vg credit lines (they willingly consolidated some of my existing BofA CL into my new Schwab card); great CS--responsive, intelligent, always available, they listen to you; excellent, excellent online access--see charges almost as soon as they are made (and I mean in MINUTES!); wonderful rewards system--cash posted automatically ea month; 2% on EVERYTHING! Also, a great dispute process.

I may be prejudiced (well, not pre-; just biased) -- but I'd say Schwab VISA is the best cc I've ever had. WOuld even be worth an annual fee!

scottsd said: angelmartinez said: defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

Not to belabor the point, but I feel that the best cash rewards cc is the SCHWAB VISA (if you can still get it) -- very thorough (but humane) app process; vg credit lines (they willingly consolidated some of my existing BofA CL into my new Schwab card); great CS--responsive, intelligent, always available, they listen to you; excellent, excellent online access--see charges almost as soon as they are made (and I mean in MINUTES!); wonderful rewards system--cash posted automatically ea month; 2% on EVERYTHING! Also, a great dispute process.

I may be prejudiced (well, not pre-; just biased) -- but I'd say Schwab VISA is the best cc I've ever had. WOuld even be worth an annual fee!
isn't the fidelity AMEX just like schwab visa?

scottsd -- but I'd say Schwab VISA is the best cc said: I've ever had. WOuld even be worth an annual fee!

Lets not get carried away

mm04 said: scottsd -- but I'd say Schwab VISA is the best cc said: ]I've ever had. WOuld even be worth an annual fee!

Lets not get carried away

Yeah I think FW Rule #2 (after rule #1: Don't call) needs to be "Dont' ask to be charged for something that's free."

defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

I have made the switch to PenFed Platinum.

As compared to the AB which I will have to cancel:

1. Still 5% on gas.
2. 2 % on groceries, but technically supermarkets, so now it includes Wal-Mart.
3. 1% else. $50K limit.
4. Best of all, it's an auto-credit to your statement each month. No saving up to $50 and requesting it.

So now I'm rocking CitiForward and Penfed as my duo. I know I could optimize further by getting the Schwab 2%, but I don't know if I want to go three carded.

Am I correct in summarizing there are no (non-limited time) 5% gas/grocery/drug store alternatives now that AB is out?

FreeJason said: Am I correct in summarizing there are no (non-limited time) 5% gas/grocery/drug store alternatives now that AB is out?If you don't mind spending $6500 first, AMEX Blue Cash.

just got my card and was actually excited that it was only dropping to 3% ... but of course i didn't notice the "catch" of a $20 rewards cap. that's absolutely ridiculous. plan to use the current card until the last possible moment, then cancel the new one and stick with my SCHWAB VISA for all purchases.

will REALLY miss that extra 3% easy cash. farewell sweet 5% CashBack visa

Anyone considered the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards Card?
It's a Mastercard, and pays 5% in the form of Thank You points,
for gas, groceries and drugstores, for 12 mos (then reverts to a 1% card).
No annual fee.
Linky>

neworleanshoo said: just got my card and was actually excited that it was only dropping to 3% ... but of course i didn't notice the "catch" of a $20 rewards cap. that's absolutely ridiculous. plan to use the current card until the last possible moment, then cancel the new one and stick with my SCHWAB VISA for all purchases.

will REALLY miss that extra 3% easy cash. farewell sweet 5% CashBack visa

Isn't the Schwab Visa going away at the end of March?

Just the opportunity to apply for a new card...not the 2% Cash Back that people who have the card are getting...

scottsd said: Anyone considered the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards Card?
for gas, groceries and drugstores, for 12 mos (then reverts to a 1% card).
No annual fee.
Linky>

Yes, and there's no reason not to use the card for a year then ditch it and get a new one. Rinse and repeat, in other words.

The only prob is that you have to earn 6k points to get a $50 GC and it's even more if you want a statement credit or cash, so it's worse than the straight 5k/$50 ratio that we get with the AB and Chase Cash Rewards cards.

scottsd said: angelmartinez said: defjukie said: So what's the best option for grocery store spending, now that the Associated Bank card is on its way out?

No one deserves annual fees. Fidelity & Schwab have great features & benefits. Just one downside, FIA.

So for now, I use USAA, Penfed, & Costco AMEX.

scottsd said: ...

Citi is constantly devaluing the value of Thank You points by removing the popular rewards, adding expiration conditions, etc.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 13233 34 3536
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014