• 1323334 35 36
  • Page
  • Text Only
neworleanshoo said: just got my card and was actually excited that it was only dropping to 3% ... but of course i didn't notice the "catch" of a $20 rewards cap. that's absolutely ridiculous. plan to use the current card until the last possible moment, then cancel the new one and stick with my SCHWAB VISA for all purchases.

will REALLY miss that extra 3% easy cash. farewell sweet 5% CashBack visa

I noticed that the letter said that you will receive a new card, which you have to activate. What would happen if you kept using the old card and never activated the new one? Do you think you could keep the old rewards?

not a chance...the old card is going to expire within i think a month or so...You just need to decide if you want to use the new card, or have them close it...

neo1022 said: scottsd said: ...
It's a Mastercard, and pays 5% in the form of Thank You points,

Citi is constantly devaluing the value of Thank You points by removing the popular rewards, adding expiration conditions, etc.

I am not aware of any further devaluation since the Feb-2009 series, when CITI discontinued the flat-fare plan, replacing it with the 1 pt/$ plan. Still able to get $100 GC's for 10K pts (1 c/pt).

scottsd said: neo1022 said: scottsd said: ...
It's a Mastercard, and pays 5% in the form of Thank You points,

Citi is constantly devaluing the value of Thank You points by removing the popular rewards, adding expiration conditions, etc.

I am not aware of any further devaluation since the Feb-2009 series, when CITI discontinued the flat-fare plan, replacing it with the 1 pt/$ plan. Still able to get $100 GC's for 10K pts (1 c/pt).

Most GCs are now only available at $50/6k points, which effectively drops any 5% rewards to 4%. Granted, some $100 GCs are still available, but not that many desirable ones. I suspect they'll all be gone very soon.

Try these:
* Staples GC, $100: 10K pts (under "Office" category)
* Lands End GC(good at Sears): $100, 10K pts (under "Specialty")

Admittedly, 1c/pt GC's are becoming scarce, but when pared with a 5 pt/$ reward it still looks like a good deal (eg which is worth more to you: 2% Schwab Cash Back, or (possibly) 5 pt/$ TYP??).

I need a low/no APR card to xfer my AMEX balance to... any suggestions?

Well, this morning, my Chase Rewards card was “transformed” into Chase Sapphire. My rewards used to be 5% on gas and groceries, 1% on everything else, with a cap of 78,000 points or approximately $780. Now they give a flat 1% with no cap and some transferrability to other travel reward programs, but I can’t help but feeling shortchanged. Thank you so much for keeping thi list going...I no have hope to find another card worth using...

My Chase EDP 5% just converted to a Sapphire as well. Some upgrade, they reduce the 5% EDP no limit rewards to 1% no limit on everything. F U Chase Rewards. They just lost a lot of business on that card that my Schwab card will now get.

Does anyone know if the Associated cash reward card 5% unlinmited is still active?

Thanks.

ralucy said: Does anyone know if the Associated cash reward card 5% unlinmited is still active?

Thanks.

It's dead...even for current customers...

UseTheForceJesus said:
Isn't the Schwab Visa going away at the end of March?

where did you hear that? haven't heard anything from schwab

neworleanshoo said: UseTheForceJesus said:
Isn't the Schwab Visa going away at the end of March?

where did you hear that? haven't heard anything from schwab

They don't take new applications anymore. No information about existing cards, I assume the card might eventually go the same way other cards did. The rewards will be cut.

mamaof3squeeze said: Well, this morning, my Chase Rewards card was “transformed” into Chase Sapphire. My rewards used to be 5% on gas and groceries, 1% on everything else, with a cap of 78,000 points or approximately $780. Now they give a flat 1% with no cap and some transferrability to other travel reward programs, but I can’t help but feeling shortchanged. Thank you so much for keeping thi list going...I no have hope to find another card worth using...

Right there with ya. that 5% has been disappearing over the last 1-1/2 to 2 years depending on the person. I guess I was lucky enough to go this long. Have to reorganize my credit cards again. It looks like Penfed may be the best way for 5% Gas (although it is only pay-at-the-pump so no more 5% back on candy and sodas would imagine)

where are you guys getting this "$20 rewards cap" thing or the new associated bank visa signature card?

i didn't see it anywhere on the literature they mailed, and i called last night and was told there is no cap. also was told you can't get "Cash Back" but you can get a cash credit on your next month's statement, as soon as your rewards total over $20.

assuming all that is true, i'll keep using my associated bank card for gas, groceries, and Drugstore purchases or 3% Cash Back, and my schwab visa for 2% bank on all other purchases. seems like the best options if you're a CashBack guy.

right..there is no cap on getting 1%...but as far as getting the extra 2% on the Gas/Grocery/Drug Store purchases..THAT has a cap of 2000 points per year (or $20 bonus for you per year)...

They very deceivingly put it in the fine print on the disclosure of the application for this card on Associated's web site...and from what i have seen here posted from those that received their card already (who use to have the 5% version)...it is in the fine print about the rewards program in the literature they received with it...you better dig deep and find it...

The CSR's there often are clueless about it..when i called..she had to dig deep herself to find the exact rules for it...don't kid yourself...you have a 1% card with a $20 a year bonus...bottom line...

the "fine print"...sorry to be the bearer of bad news to you....

Rewards Program Rules: We will award one reward point for each dollar of “net purchases” charged to an Associated Bank Signature Rewards or Select Rewards card Account during each statement period. We will award a total of three reward points up to the Bonus Limit for each dollar of “net purchases” charged to an Associated Bank Signature Rewards or Select Rewards card Account within defined gasoline, gasoline station, grocery store, grocery supermarket, and Drugstore merchant categories during each statement period. You may earn 2 additional Points (“Bonus Points”) for a total of 3 Points for each dollar of Net Purchases charged to your Account during each billing cycle at gasoline stations, grocery stores, grocery supermarkets, or drugstores. We cannot control how merchants choose to classify their business and reserve the right to determine which Purchases qualify. You may only earn a maximum of 2,000 Bonus Points per year. After the Bonus Point limit has been reached in a calendar year you will continue to earn 1 Point for each dollar of Net Purchases charged to your Account. Reward points will not be awarded to a cardmember for “net purchases” during a statement period if the cardmember’s Account is not open and current on the statement closing date. Reward points will not be awarded for Cash Advances or other Account Advances as defined in the Cardmember Agreement. Reward points may be redeemed for airfare, name brand merchandise, gift certificates, or cash in the form of a statement credit (subject to the maximum ticket prices and redemption schedule set forth in the Rewards Program Rules). Complete terms and conditions will be provided to cardmembers. ng.

thanks craig10x - clearly the phone rep had no idea what she was talking about. she seemed really annoyed that i was asking in the first place.

new card is going in the trash at the end of the month, and i'll just use my schwab 2% visa for all purchases from now on. so sad to see that extra 3% CashBack go...

neworleanshoo said: thanks craig10x - clearly the phone rep had no idea what she was talking about. she seemed really annoyed that i was asking in the first place.

new card is going in the trash at the end of the month, and i'll just use my schwab 2% visa for all purchases from now on. so sad to see that extra 3% CashBack go...

you are very welcome

i had applied for it myself...as i hadn't seen the fine print....fortunately, someone here mentioned it and i was able to have my application pulled before they had actually processed it...
Before i cancelled, i asked the CSR to check into it for me....she had to read all the reward program's fine print to find it herself and she confirmed for me that indeed that it was exactly what i posted above...

Ok so I cashed out my old reward balance on the associated card and closed the "new" one....so whats the current best choice for a "gas stations, grocery and Drugstore" card paying more than 1% flat? I ask because page 1 of this thread still lists several cards including the associated with outdated info so I'm not sure if they are still valid cards.

^For me, it's going to be:

-PenFed Platinum at the pump (5% on gas)
-Schwab Invest First at the grocery (2% flat)

Unless someone's got a better grocery store card.

PenFed's card offers 5% for gas, 2% for grocery and 1% for your Drugstore purchases.

jtdeals said: PenFed's card offers 5% for gas, 2% for grocery and 1% for ALL OTHER PURCHASES.

fixed.

howie888 said: jtdeals said: PenFed's card offers 5% for gas, 2% for grocery and 1% for ALL OTHER PURCHASES.

fixed.
That's true, but famewolf asked about Drugstore purchases which is why I stated it that way.

defjukie said: ^For me, it's going to be:

-PenFed Platinum at the pump (5% on gas)
-Schwab Invest First at the grocery (2% flat)

Unless someone's got a better grocery store card.

I'd go with AMEX BLUE CASH for 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores IF you're a heavy charger; you don't get 5% until you ring up $6500 in charges per anniversary year.

Good Luck,

Also don't forget 5% rotating categories on Discover and/or Chase Freedom.

sayhey said:

I'd go with AMEX BLUE CASH for 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores IF you're a heavy charger; you don't get 5% until you ring up $6500 in charges per anniversary year.

Good Luck,

Forgive me if this is stupid, but do you get 5% on the original $6500 (as long as it was an EDP), when you reach it or is 1% on everything until you hit the $6500 and then 5% on the EDPs after?

captainjrl said: sayhey said:

Good Luck,

Forgive me if this is stupid, but do you get 5% on the original $6500 (as long as it was an EDP), when you reach it or is 1% on everything until you hit the $6500 and then 5% on the EDPs after?

From the cardmember agreement: "For the first $6,500 of Eligible Purchases (as defined below), the rebate percentage is 1% for Everyday Purchases (as defined below) and 0.5% for all other Eligible Purchases; for Eligible Purchases of $6,500.01 or more, the rebate percentage is 5% for Everyday Purchases and 1.5% for all other Eligible Purchases."

So you only get up to 1% on the first $6500 in purchases.

For example, if you have charges as follows.

1. $6000
2. $9000
3. $100

Only the third charge will qualify for the 5% back. The $9000 charge happened in the first $6500 of charges.

UseTheForceJesus said: captainjrl said: sayhey said:

Good Luck,

From the cardmember agreement: "For the first $6,500 of Eligible Purchases (as defined below), the rebate percentage is 1% for Everyday Purchases (as defined below) and 0.5% for all other Eligible Purchases; for Eligible Purchases of $6,500.01 or more, the rebate percentage is 5% for Everyday Purchases and 1.5% for all other Eligible Purchases."

So you only get up to 1% on the first $6500 in purchases.

1. $6000
2. $9000
3. $100

Only the third charge will qualify for the 5% back. The $9000 charge happened in the first $6500 of charges.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the cardmember agreement that you posted, but I would take that to mean exactly as stated.

Purchases .01 to $6500 get 1% for EDP and .5% for everything else
Purchases $6500.01 or more get 5% for EDP and 1.5% for everything else

In your example or anyone's example, assuming:

X = $ spent on EDP between $0.01 to $6500
Y = $ spent on non-EDP between $0.01 to $6500
A = $ spent on EDP from $6500.01 and above
B = $ spent on non-EDP from $6500.01 and above

Total CashBack = (1% * X) + (0.5% * Y) + (5% * A)+ (1.5% * B)

UseTheForceJesus said:

1. $6000
2. $9000
3. $100

I agree with Howie. You receive 5% for anything charged over $6500 during the anniversary year. In the example cited above, the first $500 of the $9000 charge would receive 1%, but the residual $8500 would be rebated at 5%.

Another negative thing about this Associated Bank 5% CC transition: Today my TransUnion report already shows that this card is closed, and my credit score is lowered a little bit.

Do we get that 25.00 bonus reward for our first time use of our new card? I doubt it but I see it advertised. It's probably just for those that actually apply.

neworleanshoo said: where are you guys getting this "$20 rewards cap" thing or the new associated bank visa signature card?

i didn't see it anywhere on the literature they mailed, and i called last night and was told there is no cap. also was told you can't get "Cash Back" but you can get a cash credit on your next month's statement, as soon as your rewards total over $20.

assuming all that is true, i'll keep using my associated bank card for gas, groceries, and Drugstore purchases or 3% Cash Back, and my schwab visa for 2% bank on all other purchases. seems like the best options if you're a CashBack guy.

How many points do I have to accumulate before I can redeem it?

Do you really want a 1% card with a $20 annual bonus from gas/grocery/drug stores?

famewolf said: Ok so I cashed out my old reward balance on the associated card and closed the "new" one....so whats the current best choice for a "gas stations, grocery and Drugstore" card paying more than 1% flat? I ask because page 1 of this thread still lists several cards including the associated with outdated info so I'm not sure if they are still valid cards.

Fort Knox Federal Credit Union Platinum VISA

How does the Chase Freedom stack up against the ones on the first page? I thought it was a pretty good general spending rewards card but it's not even among the ones on the first page.

Just get a Fort Knux FCU or PenFed
Citi Forward
Schwab

nuff said.

I have AT&T Universal Savings card - 10% back on AT&T spend including monthly cell, internet, tv bill for first 12 months, 5% after that plus you get 1 Thank You point for all other purchases. Seems like nobody knows about this card - has saved me a ton since my monthly AT&T bill is pretty big.

smartymcmarty said: I have AT&T Universal Savings card - 10% back on AT&T spend including monthly cell, internet, tv bill for first 12 months, 5% after that plus you get 1 Thank You point for all other purchases. Seems like nobody knows about this card - has saved me a ton since my monthly AT&T bill is pretty big.
Thanks, I did not know about this card, but now I looked into it http://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/cardDetail.do?screenID=951, and it seems a bit more complicated:

Unless you are participating in a limited-time promotional offer, you will earn 5% on each dollar you spend on eligible AT&T purchases that is matched by the amount you spend on other purchases. However, for the first 12 months of cardmembership, you will earn 10% on each dollar you spend on eligible AT&T purchases that is matched by the amount you spend on other purchases.[...] You may save a maximum of $350 in any calendar year (eligible transactions appearing on your January-December billing statements).

smartymcmarty said: I have AT&T Universal Savings card - 10% back on AT&T spend including monthly cell, internet, tv bill for first 12 months, 5% after that plus you get 1 Thank You point for all other purchases. Seems like nobody knows about this card - has saved me a ton since my monthly AT&T bill is pretty big.

Thanks for the heads up! Just signed up for it b/c I have uverse.

does seem more complicated in that language -- but here is how I think about it. if my at&t bill is $150 a month, i can get $15 back for first 12 months if I use this as my everyday card for stuff like gas, etc.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 1323334 35 36
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014