• 15 6 78936
  • Page
  • Text Only
XeroK00L said: JadeEyedScorpio said: dvrice said: Does WalMart fall into the 5% category?

Nope.
Many people have previously reported getting 5% at WalMart from the Chase Cash Rewards card. I wonder if Chase has since "fixed" it or not.

I have Chase Cash Plus card. When you use at Super WalMart you get 5% (I think because it goes to Grocery category), other WalMart you get only 1%.

Thanks OP for your effort. Nice thread.

I used to have the chase free cash card (1% flat). I just called in to convert it to the rewards plus program.
One thing to remember is that you lose your old points when you do this so it is best to redeem them and convert
at the end of a billing cycle.

I just got an offer in the mail to sign up for a new AMEX Blue Cash (#11) with a $100 statement credit as long as I spend $500 on the card by April 30, 2006.

I do not know if it is targeted, but a phone rep claims that it is not valid for current cardholders (I think I'll try calling again to see if a different CSR says something different.)

There is no promotional code listed, so lets hope the $100 is good for all new applicants who ask about it. Give it a shot and please let us all know how it turns out.

rjw08271 said: WHY do so many cards all pay 5% Cash Back on only "gas, groceries and drug stores"?? What it is about those two types of charges that allows the cards to kick back 5%? Why not restaurants or purchases at online retailers? I just don't see why they all seem to pick "gas, groceries and drug stores" when there are so many other types of "everyday purchases" they could choose from. Heck, we eat out alot so let me dump the drug stores and get 5% on restaurants instead!

The issuers are hoping that, if cardholders use the card for the big three categories, they will use it everywhere. Many people (not necessarily FWers, of course) won't carry multiple cards. Those three categories, as a group, probably cover the majority of all the places people are likely to use the card in a given month. The issuer wins if the CashBack card displaces a competitor's card from your wallet. They want you to have to carry that card with you so hopefully you use it all the time, which is why they aren't interested in giving big cash rebates on online purchases.

I got a Chase Rewards Plus Visa a couple of weeks ago, I think (hope) I still made it in for the $100 bonus, if not I'll be a little disappointed. Regardless, my old "rewards" card from chase was garbage so I decided it was time for an upgrade after finding this thread, thanks OP.

I've only been using this card for a week or so, so I can't comment too much on it. I mainly use this for gas, and its nice getting 5% back on it, that works out to be around 12 cents off a gallon right now which makes me feel pretty good. I'll update once I get my point balance available to me.

kranky said: rjw08271 said: WHY do so many cards all pay 5% Cash Back on only "gas, groceries and drug stores"?? What it is about those two types of charges that allows the cards to kick back 5%? Why not restaurants or purchases at online retailers? I just don't see why they all seem to pick "gas, groceries and drug stores" when there are so many other types of "everyday purchases" they could choose from. Heck, we eat out alot so let me dump the drug stores and get 5% on restaurants instead!

The issuers are hoping that, if cardholders use the card for the big three categories, they will use it everywhere. Many people (not necessarily FWers, of course) won't carry multiple cards. Those three categories, as a group, probably cover the majority of all the places people are likely to use the card in a given month. The issuer wins if the CashBack card displaces a competitor's card from your wallet. They want you to have to carry that card with you so hopefully you use it all the time, which is why they aren't interested in giving big cash rebates on online purchases.

Also, those are three places people usually don't make returns.

Clocks said: Also, those are three places people usually don't make returns.

I used to work at a grocery store and you would be surprised, people returning rotten veggies/fruits that were way past expiration and were 'supposedly' bought last week. But I would agree that about 99% of the shoppers don't return stuff, it's just those select few...can't imagine anyone trying to return gas haha.

But if you were going to use this as a reason then resturaunts would 'fit the bill' as well, some sneaky people may 'opt not to pay' (i.e. sneaking out, or...'there is a finger in my chilli' heh) but I can't imagine someone returning the food they just ate...would just be messy.

I thought i would just let everybody know that i received my new ATT Universal Rewards Citi card with the 10k TY points, and the 0% BT offer. I was pleasantly surprised to see in the terms and conditions that the 0% BT offer is available to me for 12 months from the day the account was opened, and then i will receive 0% for 12 months from the day the balance is transferred. I also applied for the citi premier pass elite and got CL more than double all my other citi Cl's combined! (I now highly recommend applying for this card, getting the 15k TY points after 1st purchase, and then transferring the CL to another no fee citi card, because they seem to be very generous with premier pass elite Cl's) THe PP Elite also came w/ a 0% BT. So here's my strategy.
1. Make 1 purchase on each card in order to receive bonus TY points (25k total).
2. Pay off both cards completely.
3. Transfer almost all of CL from ATT to PP Elite
4. Do 12 months 0% BT on PP Elite, and invest in HSBC
5. In month 10 or 11, pay off BT
6. Transfer most of CL from PP elite to ATT.
6. Convert PP elite to PP regular to avoid paying $75 annual fee.
7. Do 12 mos 0% BT on ATT card.

I'm loving it. I also didn't include that I have 2 other citicards, and i will also transfer a decent chucnk of their credit lines to the cards doing the 0% BT's. Also, all the 0% bt offers are no fee as well.

mahham said: I have Chase Cash Plus card. When you use at Super WalMart you get 5% (I think because it goes to Grocery category), other WalMart you get only 1%.

That's good. I just got my Chase card and all ours are Super WalMarts. I'll assume a warehouse club like Sams Club wouldn't qualify for 5%. I commute a long way so gas rewards will come in handy for my Amazon splurges.

Hey OP, I love this thread and the way you have it organized. Have you thought about creating a thread for the top across-the-board reward cards in a similar fashion? List the cards that give more than 1% on all purchases like BofA Power Rewards, the Emmigrant card, and Household bank?
Thanks!

Second that!
I have no idea why ppl speak so highly of AMEX cards (better customer service? maybe for you but definitely not for everyone). This blue cash card, it gives upto 5% CashBack but it's only everyday purchase and must be over $6500 (so does Citi,Chase...lots of other cards without minimum requirement), for other purchase it's only 1.5% (again must be above $6500), so only if you max the spending at $50000, you will get a CashBack ratio of $685/50000=1.37%, not that good at all! As x43b pointed out, BofA Power Rewards will give you $1000 after spending $50000 (2% uncapped! and not necessary has to be spent in 1 year, it could be within 5 years according to Rewards terms).

btw, the only AMEX card I find worthy of applying is their Open Network Business card (if you indeed get a 2.5% CashBack for all spending < $15000, which is still not clear in the terms)

x43b said: AMEX strategy should be removed. It is neither the most profitable nor any more convenient. It is only beats the 5%/1% when at least $13,000 is spent on non big three items a year. It requires two cards.

If you are going to have two cards you should have a 5%/1% card without tiers and a BoA Power Rewards Card. If you are going to spend $13,000 or more a year on non big three items you would certainly qualify for the 2% Cash Back.

Therefore 5%/2% is much better than 5/1.5% that AMEX Blue Cash offers and you don't have tiers, you get that amount on the whole amount you spend (assuming you are big spender which the AMEX one assumed anyway).

particular said: Second that!
I have no idea why ppl speak so highly of AMEX cards

It's not just about the cash rebate. People choose particular AMEX cards for it's array of features and services (for example, some cards will cover restocking fees that are assessed when you return something at an electronics store). BVG is another attractive feature.

So now all of us can get even greater use of our "Everyday Purchase" cards. I've created a list of over 40 store specific gift cards you can buy at the grocery or drug store check out lanes. Since the gift card is essentially 5% off (since it is a grocery or drug store purchase) you can expand your 5% earning potential to stores like Home Depot, Olive Garden, Gap, Nordstrom etc.

Which card to use where?? The list is in the middle of my OP.

minor point - it's not really 5% off. It's typically 4% off - you would have gotten 1% or so anyway on the citi/chase offers. And if you have a 2% mbna card it's really 3% off.

Need to be real sure you're going to spend the money anyway at the other merchant. Longer you hold the GC the more the time value of money will erode ur savings - first 20-40 days or so is free since u probably haven't paid your CC balance yet.

FFGuru said: So now all of us can get even greater use of our "Everyday Purchase" cards. I've created a list of over 40 store specific gift cards you can buy at the grocery or drug store check out lanes. Since the gift card is essentially 5% off (since it is a grocery or drug store purchase) you can expand your 5% earning potential to stores like Home Depot, Olive Garden, Gap, Nordstrom etc.

Which card to use where?? The list is in the middle of my OP.

Home Depot cards haven't been available in my grocery store for a long time . When they first started doing it, I bought a couple, but after that, I haven't seem them .

-Mike

I called to cancel my Amazon Visa today (only used once to get the $25 off) and they offered me 2 years zero interest. I said no thanks so they switched me over to someone who offered to make it a Chase rewards Visa (5% Cash Back), 7.99 APR and gave me 10,000 bonus points (= $100). Not bad for 5 minutes work. Thinking I might need to cancel the Citi Rewards card next...

I really appreciate everyones input in this thread!

I've noticed that over the last couple weeks the AT&T Universal Rewards Card promo has flip-flopped between $50 and $100 free for signing up (right now it's back up to $100). Might be worth making a note of this if you were going to apply for it. If you go to their website and it's only offering $50 just check back every few days until it gets bumped back up to $100!

In today's newspaper saw an add for the Chase Cash Plus card (the card with $300 cap) and it is a mastercard. Signup bonus is once again 10,000 points = $100. Offer code is 93T and the phone number is 1-888-787-0329. The expiration on this offer is April 30, 2006. So anyone interested can use this offer code to insure they get 10,000 points.

Joe1690 said: In today's newspaper saw an add for the Chase Cash Plus card (the card with $300 cap) and it is a mastercard. Signup bonus is once again 10,000 points = $100. Offer code is 93T and the phone number is 1-888-787-0329. The expiration on this offer is April 30, 2006. So anyone interested can use this offer code to insure they get 10,000 points.

Thats AWESOME news! I have been holding out on getting the Chase card in attempts to get the MC with a $100 bonus. I've got several Visa's, and occasionally I see interesting MC promos. Thanks so much Joe 1690. You sure are in the know!

Joe1690 said: In today's newspaper saw an add for the Chase Cash Plus card (the card with $300 cap) and it is a mastercard. Signup bonus is once again 10,000 points = $100. Offer code is 93T and the phone number is 1-888-787-0329. The expiration on this offer is April 30, 2006. So anyone interested can use this offer code to insure they get 10,000 points.
THANKS! I just finished the application on the phone. Confirmed the 10,000 points. Took a total of 20 minutes.

Don't forget that you can "Strategize" on that Chase Cash Plus Mastercard......

1) Sign up for the Cash Plus Mastercard (#7 in OP) with the $100 bonus.
2) Redeemed your bonus points,
3) Call and switch to the Rewards Plus Mastercard (#3). Rewards Plus is a better rewards program, but it comes only a $50 signing bonus..

Once you've got the Cash Plus card, you don't need to apply for a new card in order to make the switch. There is no credit hit, and it is super easy. Rewards Plus has a much higher annual rewards limit ($750) which is why I suggest making the switch. With Cash Plus you max out at just $300 in rewards.

The only bad thing about Rewards Plus is that you'll have to wait until you have earned $100 in rewards before redeeming to get the full value of your points (Cash plus is only $50.... but for most of us, the higher reward limit is worth the wait.

When do Citi Dividend points expire?

Thank you!

No prob. Others have given me such excellent advise on this forum and clued me in to some great deals so I try to help whenever possible.

Does anyone know if the citi mtvu card counts when you buy books off Amazon but from a private seller? Thanks.

I appologize if this is answered somewhere else, but I noticed that at Ralphs, when I make purchases with Discover there is a Cash Back option. Does anyone know if this Cash Back is charged as a regular purchase and if you earn Cash Back on it.

If so, it seems that you can earn Cash Back rewards just by requesting Cash Back at the supermarket and then you can put that cash right into an interest bearing account and use it to help pay your bill at the end of the month. A net gain of 1% for very little work.

Sounds too good to be true. Is it?

FYI for those with CitiBank Dividend Platinum Select. Just talked to a CSR to complain about only getting 1% on my groc/gas/drug purchases. She explained that only stand alone businesses count. So even a groc + drug or a groc + gas is only 1 percent. I can't think of a grocery any where near me that doesn't either have a drug store or a gas station built in. Must be new policy since my Dec and Jan statements showed 5%. I'll be moving everything to Chase for now on.

Is there a 0%APR nofee bt offer with this?

zjts said:
Is there a 0%APR nofee bt offer with this?

Yes, there is 0% APR.... at least with the bonus code I got.

I got the offer in todays Manufacturer Coupon section of the Seattle Times (Sunday, 3/11/06). There is also a scan of the ad below. The code in my paper is a different bonus code than what Joe1890 got, so maybe they are targeted by market?

Apply now for the Cash Plus Rewards MasterCard.
    -BONUS- $100 Cash Back check after your first purchase. (in the form of 10,000 bonus points, so they will likely count toward your annual point limit)
    -Earn 5% Cash Back on qualified grocery store, gas station, and drug store purchases and 1 on all other qualified purchases. (up to 30,000 points per year)
    -Redeem your Cash Back points for gift certificates at your favorite merchants or Cash Back check. (1 point=1 cent in rewards, you can redeem at that percentage starting at $50 in rewards.)
    -Enjoy a 0% introductory APR for up to 12 months. (Length of the intro period will be either 12 months for purchases and balance transfers or 3 months for balance transfers depending on credit review-
    -No annual fee.

Call 1-888-787-0329 today!
    Offer Code 94B.
    Limited-time offer.
    Apply by April 30, 2006

AD SCAN!!!!
Click here to view a scan of the $100 offer.
Fine print close-up.
    From The Seattle Times Sunday 03/12/06, Manufacturer's Coupon Packet)

If you see the Chase Cash Plus ad in your paper, please let us all know......

1) What bonus code does your paper have?
2) Which city/paper did you see this offer in? (Just incase the bonus codes are targeted to specific markets)
3) Does the offer match the one I listed above?? Including bonus, intro APR, etc

Thanks! And thanks to Joe1890 for breaking the great news!

Wow, FFGuru, you are another Seattleite!

Yes, I got that code in the paper too. Thanks! So is it possible to apply online? It doesn't make much sense anymore to not allow online applications.

FFGuru, thanks for scanning the ad! From the looks of all of your posts you are very "in the know"

I think we can all trust FFGuru and Joe1690 (especially since FFGuru has scanned the ad, and a ton of people have received similar offers) For other offers though, everyone should keep in mind how easy it would be steal personal information thru something like this.

A crook could easily post a fake credit card application phone number (or provide a fake WWW link for that matter) and direct the calls/application info to themselves, rather than Chase, Citi etc. Just think about how much personal information you would be giving the crook if you thought you were in fact applying for a credit card.

Anyway, I don't mean to start a conspiracy theory, and as I said, we don't have to worry about this Chase Cash Plus offer, but everyone should be vigilant!

suaveseattle said: So is it possible to apply online? It doesn't make much sense anymore to not allow online applications.

You cannot apply for the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Mastercard card at all online. You must call to apply and get the $100 bonus. It takes about 20-30 minutes, and you usually get someone in India. The rep's are usually easy to understand, but on the rare occasion that you can't understand your representative just hang up and call again to speak with someone else.

Chase will occasionally play a little game and say that bonus codes are not valid, or they are only worth $50. If that is so, just hang up and try again (or try a different code, but trying again usually works.) As long as the CSR confirms that you will get a 10,000 point bonus upon application approval, you are golden. I have never heard of anyone not getting the bonus points after the CSR confirmed that the code worked for 10,000 points.

I believe that most people get the card within a week's time.

My guess as to why Chase doesn't allow online applications, is that they must pay out a lot for website referrals and that must be greater than the cost of hiring an India call center.

Am I correct that the 0%APR BT offer here has a 3% fee?

zjts said: Am I correct that the 0%APR BT offer here has a 3% fee?

I don't know anything about BT's.... sorry. But here is a close up of the fine print from the offer I found. Hopefully that will answer your question and serve as a resource for anyone else interested in applying.

zjts said: Am I correct that the 0%APR BT offer here has a 3% fee?

3% fee, min $5 max $75

dwklug said: FYI for those with CitiBank Dividend Platinum Select. Just talked to a CSR to complain about only getting 1% on my groc/gas/drug purchases. She explained that only stand alone businesses count. So even a groc + drug or a groc + gas is only 1 percent. I can't think of a grocery any where near me that doesn't either have a drug store or a gas station built in. Must be new policy since my Dec and Jan statements showed 5%. I'll be moving everything to Chase for now on.

That's major bogus right there. I wonder if this applies to the Diamond Rewards as well. Sounds like the perfect time to look at the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Mastercard!

My and my wife's Chase cards say "Rewards Plus" on them. We got them in November 2005 (10K bonus points promo). However, the cap is 30K points per year, and redemtion is in $50 increments. I suspect that these cards are in fact Cash Plus.

Great thread!

Now about the Citi Diamond AMEX- it's not a real AMEX is it, but in name only? That is, I can't play the AMEX wishlist with it, and the insurance benefits of the card aren't underwritten by AMEX (but by Virginia Surety Company)? What good is the AMEX part?

anyone know what's the average turn around time between applying over the phone and getting the card or being denied? Thanks in advance

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 15 6 78936
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014