• 16 7 891036
  • Page
  • Text Only
.... in response to the last 3 posts......

Q: Which Chase card do I have?
A: EugeneV- Chase uses their standard reward card design for both Cash Plus and Reward Plus. Double check, but I am guessing it says Rewards along the side (without the plus). Thats the design. Kind of blue/purplish with their logo. You can't tell which program you have just by the card design. You will have to check your statement. I too suspect that you have Cash Plus.... but don't worry. Once you have redeemed your points, you can convert to Rewards Plus without getting a new card.

Q: Does the Citi AMEX come with the same benefits as the standard AMEX?
A: CaptainAilias- There are few "standards" among any credit card type (ie: Visa, Mastercard, AMEX) Most of the benefits really come from the issuing bank, such as Citi, Chase, MBNA.... not Visa, MC, AMEX. Now that multiple banks can issue a card with the American Express logo, expect substantial differences in card benefits/rewards from a traditional AMEX and the newer ones coming from Citi & MBNA. This is just as you would expect differences between a Citi Visa and an MBNA Visa. As for what good is it.... I don't know. I'll leave that one to someone else. Good Question.

Q: How long does it take to get the Chase Cash Plus card?
A: Unpossible- I believe the average time between applying and getting the card is about a week.... so you won't be left wondering for long. If that is still too much anticipation, you can call 1-888-787-0329 and press option 2. (thats the number in the ad for applying, option 1 is to sign up for a new card, 2 is to check the status.) I believe you can find out via phone within about 3 days of applying. Correct me if I am wrong.

FFGuru said: Q: Does the Citi AMEX come with the same benefits as the standard AMEX?
A: CaptainAilias- There are few "standards" among any credit card type (ie: Visa, Mastercard, AMEX) Most of the benefits really come from the issuing bank, such as Citi, Chase, MBNA.... not Visa, MC, AMEX. Now that multiple banks can issue a card with the American Express logo, expect substantial differences in card benefits/rewards from a traditional AMEX and the newer ones coming from Citi & MBNA. This is just as you would expect differences between a Citi Visa and an MBNA Visa. As for what good is it.... I don't know. I'll leave that one to someone else. Good Question.

Thanks FFGuru.

I'll reiterate the question- does anyone know what advantages the AMEX name gives to the Citi AMEX card? Can't participate in AMEX wishlist and insurance is NOT underwritten by AMEX, what is it good for?

Thanks again for the answer(s), much appreciated.

FFGuru said: .... in response to the last 3 posts......

Q: Which Chas card do I have?
A: EugeneV- Chase uses their standard reward card design for both Cash Plus and Reward Plus. Double check, but I am guessing it says Rewards along the side (without the plus). Thats the design. Kind of blue/purplish with their logo. You can't tell which program you have just by the card design. You will have to check your statement. I too suspect that you have Cash Plus.... but don't worry. Once you have redeemed your points, you can convert to Rewards Plus without getting a new card.

Q: Does the Citi AMEX come with the same benefits as the standard AMEX?

A: Unpossible- I believe the average time between applying and getting the card is about a week.... so you won't be left wondering for long. If that is still too much anticipation, you can call 1-888-787-0329 and press option 2. (thats the number in the ad for applying, option 1 is to sign up for a new card, 2 is to check the status.) I believe you can find out via phone within about 3 days of applying. Correct me if I am wrong.

Captain Alias actually Citibank's card should be eligable to participate in AMEX's Wishlist program since MBNA's card where eligable last year. As long as it is an American Express card (meaning payments occur on the American Express network) you are eligable for the mywishlist program and all of the special offers that AMEX gives like discounts at select merchants etc.

FFGuru said:

When you call 1-888-787-0329 and press option 2, you will be told to call 1-888-338-2586 to check the status. I applied mine on Saturday and was approved when I called to check this morning.

Joe1690 said: Captain Alias actually Citibank's card should be eligable to participate in AMEX's Wishlist program since MBNA's card where eligable last year. As long as it is an American Express card (meaning payments occur on the American Express network) you are eligable for the mywishlist program and all of the special offers that AMEX gives like discounts at select merchants etc.

Hmmm, I guess I'll call them to double check. A previous member in another thread said that it wouldn't be eligible..

Great thread. Has anyone able to get a $ 100 bonus for the ATT universal card. I cannot find any mention of the bonus on their website.

lovelovingdeals said: Great thread. Has anyone able to get a $ 100 bonus for the ATT universal card. I cannot find any mention of the bonus on their website.

The page which states the $100 bonus is here. But wait....

WARNING- If applying for a Citi Card....
You really have to watch Citi. Sometimes the terms and conditions vary within specific cards. With several of their cards, the first promo page I have linked will mention either a great bonus or 5% saving year after year. Then, when you click apply, and read the terms and conditions on that page, they don't mention of the added bonus, 5% rewards area, or state that 5% rewards are limited to 1 year. I would most certainly call to double check everything with Citi. Don't take anything for granted. Remember to print out all of the terms and conditions just incase there is a problem later. With that said, you can probably see why I rate Chase's cards as the leader of the pack with clear T&C, quick turn around, and good rewards. Happy Spending!

So I have been silently and accountlessly reading this and other fat wallet forums for months. I just had an encounter today with Citi that made me want to seek public opinion.

I was reviewing my Citi Dividend statement and noticed they do not categorize purchases. I then flipped to my Citi MtvU card and, lo! and behold, an extra column in the statement table labled "Category." I spoke with a very not-with-it CS rep who told me that that is how it is with Citi Upromise. I insisted I did not have that card and was questioning what the deal is with Citi Dividend. I was told that listing categorically charges was only in the T&C of Upromise and MtvU (because the 'colleges require it'). This is a quote that she got from someone higher up after putting me on hold for a few minutes. Poor girl was quite bewildered by me asking about this whole 'category thing.'

She said, further, that she sometimes speaks with customers that insist she tell them if each and every charge applies through merch coding for the 5% reward. So, I ask, why don't they extend the system? Obviously they have the infrastructure. I am left to believe they don't want consumers monitoring their statements that closely. Also, I ask, how can we make this happen at Citi? and **Does Chase, whose card I should have gotten in the first place, show categories for their ccs?

Muchas gracias for you help if you respond and are more in-the-know than I.

scanchain said: FFGuru said:

When you call 1-888-787-0329 and press option 2, you will be told to call 1-888-338-2586 to check the status. I applied mine on Saturday and was approved when I called to check this morning.

Just did it over the phone, took well over 30 minutes (wondering if they are setting up their call centers oversea now).
I was also told that the application will take up to 1 month and that I should not call to check the status sooner than 1 month because they would not have record of my application. I guess I will wait a week before calling 1-888-338-2586 to check the status of my application.

Thanks for the useful info in this thread!!

Seal said: Just did it over the phone, took well over 30 minutes (wondering if they are setting up their call centers oversea now).
I was also told that the application will take up to 1 month and that I should not call to check the status sooner than 1 month because they would not have record of my application. I guess I will wait a week before calling 1-888-338-2586 to check the status of my application.

Thanks for the useful info in this thread!!

Nah, you can call back two days later to check if you want. They also told me 30 days, but it took only two days. It's a toll-free call anyway.

That's true.... they tell you that you shouldn't call back in less than a month, but I applied 2 days ago, and called today to learn that my application was approved. Its all a recording anyway. You just input your SSN so it is not like you are wasting a CSR's time by calling right away. I called and got a very efficient rep and was done with the application process in about 20 minutes.

On applying- Yes, Chase's new-application call center is in India. Once you have the card, I believe that Customer Service is handled in the US. Generally, even though the Indian CSR's have an accent, it is not overwhelming. They are excellent at spelling out almost every word and using the phenetic (sp?) alphabet when required. They have gotten pretty good at making the whole thing a non-issue, so don't let that intimidate you. If you can't understand the person you got, just hang up and try again. I wish I could speak in other languages as well as them!

Ok in trying to maximize my earning potential here is what I have come up with. Let me know if you see something I missed

For restaurants and movies
2% for restaurants and 3% for movies Cash Back with Everyday Rewards Elite Visa

Gas and Groceries and Drug Stores
5% Chase Cash Plus Rewards Mastercard then switch to Chase Rewards Plus

That is what is confusing me. Nowehere does it say that there ia a $ 100 signup bonus involved.

FFGuru said: lovelovingdeals said: Great thread. Has anyone able to get a $ 100 bonus for the ATT universal card. I cannot find any mention of the bonus on their website.

The page which states the $100 bonus is here. But wait....

WARNING- If applying for a Citi Card....
You really have to watch Citi. Sometimes the terms and conditions vary within specific cards. With several of their cards, the first promo page I have linked will mention either a great bonus or 5% saving year after year. Then, when you click apply, and read the terms and conditions on that page, they don't mention of the added bonus, 5% rewards area, or state that 5% rewards are limited to 1 year. I would most certainly call to double check everything with Citi. Don't take anything for granted. Remember to print out all of the terms and conditions just incase there is a problem later. With that said, you can probably see why I rate Chase's cards as the leader of the pack with clear T&C, quick turn around, and good rewards. Happy Spending!

lovelovingdeals said: That is what is confusing me. Nowehere does it say that there ia a $ 100 signup bonus involved.

My apologies, technically it is not a signup bonus. It is a $100 gift card after your first purchase. It is listed under "key benefits."

Anyone know if the 10,000 bonus points after the first purchase on the Hilton HHonors Platinum AMEX card are redeemable for hotel stays or for a $100 check?

Thanks

Got it. Thanks FFGuru

FFGuru said: lovelovingdeals said: That is what is confusing me. Nowehere does it say that there ia a $ 100 signup bonus involved.

My apologies, technically it is not a signup bonus. It is a $100 gift card after your first purchase. It is listed under "key benefits."

Status Update....

I applied for Chase Cash Plus MC, and eight days later the card was in the mail. Pretty quick turn around really. Plus, the credit limit is pretty good considering the fact that I just opened the card. It is close to that of my MBNA card which I have had for several years.

FYI: Per the Guide to Benefits, the card comes with
1) Purchase Assurance Coverage (protects items damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase),
2) Extended Warranty coverage (doubles the warranty of purchases on the card)
3) MasterRental (Car rental insurance)
4) Road Assist
5) Global Service (aid with lost & stolden cards, emergency replacement, & emergency cash
6) Travel Assistance
7) Worldwide Automatic Travel Accident and Baggage Delay Insurance.

It sounds like a great card, and reward program. About the only downside is that there is no Best Value Guarantee and you can't apply online. Other than that, I am very pleased.

innocentbastard said: Ok in trying to maximize my earning potential here is what I have come up with. Let me know if you see something I missed

Thats a pretty good strategy. Costco True Earnings AMEX will get you an added 1% on restaurants if you are a member. (There is nothing for movies though) Costco does however offer 2% on travel. I've compiled a list of the top cards for each purchase category in the following thread...... Which card should I use where?

FFGuru said: innocentbastard said: Ok in trying to maximize my earning potential here is what I have come up with. Let me know if you see something I missed

Thats a pretty good strategy. Costco True Earnings AMEX will get you an added 1% on restaurants if you are a member. (There is nothing for movies though) Costco does however offer 2% on travel. I've compiled a list of the top cards for each purchase category in the following thread...... Which card should I use where?

Accepted more places than AMEX:

Citi MtvU card 2.5% CashBack (statement credits only)
restaurants, bookstores, record stores, movie theatre’s, and movie rental stores

poo said:

restaurants, bookstores, record stores, movie theatre’s, and movie rental stores

Yes, but you have to be a college student to get the card. So that leaves Costco's or National for the rest of us

ffguru,

since you added the hilton AMEX card, you may want to consider adding the new Marriott premier visa signature card which gives you 5 points per dollar spent at Marriott properties, 2 points at airlines, car rentals and dining and 1 for everything else

current fw thread

eshapard said: I appologize if this is answered somewhere else, but I noticed that at Ralphs, when I make purchases with Discover there is a Cash Back option. Does anyone know if this Cash Back is charged as a regular purchase and if you earn Cash Back on it.

If so, it seems that you can earn Cash Back rewards just by requesting Cash Back at the supermarket and then you can put that cash right into an interest bearing account and use it to help pay your bill at the end of the month. A net gain of 1% for very little work.

Sounds too good to be true. Is it?

I tried this out and the purchase showed up as a regular purchase on my statement and bill. It's not charged as a cash advance! So now If I can get my card onto the 5% for groceries plan, I should be able to earn $5 everytime I get $100 in Cash Back after a purchase from Ralphs. Then I can just put that $100 into the bank, earn interest on it, and use it to pay off the credit card bill at the end of the month. There may be other grocery stores like this, but so far Ralph's is the only one I know of for sure.

They aren't supposed to ask if you want Cash Back when you use credit are they? I thought that was only for debit. Maybe Discover card is an exception, or could it be some overlooked bug in the programming?

By now, hopefully, most of you have one of the cards from my OP. Odds are that you are already saving 5% on gas (among other things.)

Are you a true Fat Wallet Fanatic?... Are you still looking for more ways to save at the pump? Here you go....

Exxon/Mobil is running a promotion where new Speedpass customers will save 5¢ per gallon for 90 days.

(1) Get a new Exxon/Mobil Speedpass, (2) have it linked to your favorite credit card (one that earns 5% of course. ) (3) Save 5¢ per gallon for 90 days. That's on top of any rewards your credit card gives you for a gas station purchase! Hopefully you are in a market in which Exxon/Mobil both serve and remain competative. If so, it is a great deal! With an average price of $2.50 per gallon, this coupled with 5% Cash Back will save you close to 18¢ per gallon!

I've started a discussion on this Speedpass promotion in "Deal Discussion." You'll find the topic and more information here.

Thats great news about the Speedpass! I have never gotten one because I haven't been to concerned about the convenience of it. With a 5 cent discount on the other had though, I can't pass it up. Thannks for the heads up!

Thanks, signed up for "Cash Plus Rewards MasterCard."

Will transfer to other program once I withdraw signup bonus.

My call was only 13 mins, I got lucky!

We spent about $100 at Smith's (a Kroger-family supermarket) this weekend. At the bottom of our receipt was a notice telling us that we had earned "fuel rewards" to the tune of 15 cents off a gallon. Apparently some Smith's locations have fueling stations in their parking lots. Has anyone heard of this before? Any thoughts on strategy?

Kempman said: We spent about $100 at Smith's (a Kroger-family supermarket) this weekend. At the bottom of our receipt was a notice telling us that we had earned "fuel rewards" to the tune of 15 cents off a gallon. Apparently some Smith's locations have fueling stations in their parking lots. Has anyone heard of this before? Any thoughts on strategy?

I know the gas station/convenience store Loaf 'n Jug offers a 3 cent discount if you use a Kroger branded shopper card at the pump. Maybe you can use that discount there? Do you have any Loaf 'n Jug's in your area?

FFGuru said: I know the gas station/convenience store Loaf 'n Jug offers a 3 cent discount if you use a Kroger branded shopper card at the pump. Maybe you can use that discount there? Do you have any Loaf 'n Jug's in your area?

Nope. It seems that we got the discount because we spent more than $90 on groceries and because we also swiped our values card at the register (that just about every supermarket except WalMart has these days).

Assuming a per-gallon price of $2.50, combining this deal with a 5% card would result in about 27.5 cents off each gallon of gas. Not too shabby.

Assuming Smith's (or other Kroger family supermarkets) gives this offer everytime you spend more than $90, you would probably need to compare grocery prices before you commit to doing all your grocery shopping there. If they're overcharging on groceries, then there's probably no point in shopping there just for this discount.

Wondering if anyone has confirmed that a Stop and Shop gas station (located right outside one of their grocery stores) qualifies for the 5% off gas?

FYI - for those who have Stop and Shop gas nearby, they often give coupons after grocery purchaes for 20 cents off/gallon. You swipe your S&S card to get the discounted price (Upromise anyone?) then you pump and they give you the 20 cents/gallon back in cash. So you get 5% Cash Back (as long as Stop and Shop gas qualifies as "gas station") on the full price you paid and then 20 cents/gallon in your pocket. Talk about FatWallet maximizing!

-Chris

Other thread has mentioned about Discover withdraw the 5% Cash Back offer from Restaurant and Home Improvement card. They will be converted to regular Discovercard for 5% Get More offer only. This is really a bad news....

Discover Restaurant and Home Improvement cards are no more!?

UnixLab said: Other thread has mentioned about Discover withdraw the 5% Cash Back offer from Restaurant and Home Improvement card. They will be converted to regular Discovercard for 5% Get More offer only. This is really a bad news....

Discover Restaurant and Home Improvement cards are no more!?

I'll bet Discover will come out with a good Get More promo this summer to keep the former Restaurant & Home Improvement cardholders with Discover. There is no use cancelling if you've got one already.

You should add the USAirways Dividend Miles Premier World MC to good travel cards!

2 Cards: UsAirways Dividend Miles Credit Cards
My Card: usairwaysmastercard.com

I just joined last month and have already earned 25,000+ FF miles!

Fee: Free for first 2 years.
Bonus: 15,000 (1st purchase) and up to 10,000 more on balance transfer
3 miles on USAirways purchases for 1st year
1.5 miles on all purchases for 1st year
One $75 discount off one annual membership to the US Airways Club
Annual $99 companion certificate good for two guests
Preferred Check-in and Preferred Boarding
One Complimentary US Airways Club® pass per year

Redeem: FlightFund or Dividend Miles

Actual from Statement: Balance of $5,499.23

Dividend Miles earned on US Airways purchases this period 2,988
Dividend Miles earned on all other purchases this period + 3,934
Bonus or promotional Dividend Miles earned + 18,464
Adjustments 0
Total Dividend Miles earned = 25,386

My card usage Notes:
3x miles after purchasing tickets at USAirways.com: 2 tickets to Spain ($1,493.20 at USAirways.com) for 3x ~ 4,500 miles.
1.5 miles for all other purchases for the 1st year. I had a major purchase for $3,600

there's a thread for travel cards, check the Quick Summary, this card should be mentioned there.

Hey, I like the new set up of the OP. Thanks!

I just got a mailer from AAA here in Western Washington, and they offer 5% back on gas too.

Kroger has a program called Fuel Perks where they give you so many points per dollar that equates to a tiered fuel discount. They've been doing it for about 6 months or so if I remember right. I'm not as familar with the structure of it since Giant Eagle has a better program where you get a flat $.10 off a gallon for every $50 in groceries you buy. They also count giftcards you buy at the store towards that total and those count for the 5% rebate so it starts to add up after a while. They have no limit on the rebates you can earn, but they do limit the amount of gas you can buy. It is 25 gallons or something. I've never run into it personally, but if you have a large tank you might.

Kempman said: We spent about $100 at Smith's (a Kroger-family supermarket) this weekend. At the bottom of our receipt was a notice telling us that we had earned "fuel rewards" to the tune of 15 cents off a gallon. Apparently some Smith's locations have fueling stations in their parking lots. Has anyone heard of this before? Any thoughts on strategy?

any bonuses for AMEX Blue cash besides what the OP mentioned?

Add Citi Dividend Platinum Select for College students

Earn up to $300 Cash Back on everything with the Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Card for College Studetns. Here's how:

· Earn a full 5% Cash Back on all supermarket, drug store, and gas station purchases.§
· Earn a full 1% Cash Back on all other eligible purchases.§
· Earn Cash Back on eligible Cash Advances and Balance Transfers.
· Your cash rewards will appear as Dividend Dollars on your monthly statement.

suaveseattle said: poo said:

Yes, but you have to be a college student to get the card. So that leaves Costco's or National for the rest of us

I was approved and NO documentation was requested.

#1) Card #10 is no longer listed at universalcard.com

#2) There are so many single * in the original post it is hard to realize that the $600 cash limit footnote goes with card #2. Why not just put that footnote in the description of card #2?

#3) Regarding: Citi Dividend and Chase Cash Plus cards. Both cards will give $50 at 5000 points, with 30000 point ($300) max per calendar year. If I have 6000 points and request a check, will I get $50 (and 1000 points left over) or $60? Is it different for Citi and Chase?

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 16 7 891036
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014