• 17 8 9101136
  • Page
  • Text Only
with Chase Cash Plus, you have to redeem at the 5000 point levels (5000 pts= $50 check) only...you can't redeem in-between amounts as with citibank....Chase's customer service is better then Citibank, though...and if you get the Rewards Plus program with Chase, you can cash out up to $600 per year! (only catch with that plan is you have to do it at the 10,000 pt= $100 level)....plus: with that program, you can also get gift certificates, merchandise, and airline tickets as well!

just wanted to weigh in on your #1 card there. the gm mastercard. this is the largest rip off card out there - well maybe not largest. 3 dealers I have gone to will NOT let me combine rebates from this card with gm friends and family and other offers that are on the card. hopefully i am the only one who has run into this but...

aeneas3 said: just wanted to weigh in on your #1 card there. the gm mastercard. this is the largest rip off card out there - well maybe not largest. 3 dealers I have gone to will NOT let me combine rebates from this card with gm friends and family and other offers that are on the card. hopefully i am the only one who has run into this but...

Thats no good. Several people have PM'd me raving about the card. I guess it is hit and miss. I don't have it since I don't want to be limited to buying a GM Card only.

Everyone, please note, my listings are not really in any specific order. Card #1 is not necessarily better than #21. Thats what the smiley's are for.

Thanks for the info Connell. I updated the AT&T listing, and clarified the verbage with Chase Rewards Plus.

FFGuru said: aeneas3 said: just wanted to weigh in on your #1 card there. the gm mastercard. this is the largest rip off card out there - well maybe not largest. 3 dealers I have gone to will NOT let me combine rebates from this card with gm friends and family and other offers that are on the card. hopefully i am the only one who has run into this but...

Thats no good. Several people have PM'd me raving about the card. I guess it is hit and miss. I don't have it since I don't want to be limited to buying a GM Card only.

Everyone, please note, my listings are not really in any specific order. Card #1 is not necessarily better than #21. Thats what the smiley's are for.

Thanks for the info Connell. I updated the AT&T listing, and clarified the verbage with Chase Rewards Plus.

you may also want to seperate as they are 2 T&C depeneding when you got the card

Another potential idea for "strategizing" involving Citi and Emigrant (and possibly Discover, but this might not be necessary):

* Use Citi for just Gas, Drug and Grocery...just the 5% purchases all year long. I figured it out for my spending in these areas, and the $300 (Citi max) would cover me for almost the entire year.
* Use something like EmigrantDirect (with it's new 1.4% for everything if you have the $10K in their savings for past 6 months) for the rest of your purchases.
*** the advantage this has is that Visa/MC is accepted in more places than AMEX Blue Cash...and this involves no tiered spending issues like with AMEX.

* When Discover has a "Get More" promotion, dust that card off and use it for those categories only (but since this is also a tiered card, not sure how the "Get More" works with their tier rules), but this is optional as it makes life more complex....

I don't actually have the Emigrant card yet (anyone have any feedback on that card?), but it seems like this strategy might work better for some people than an AMEX Blue Cash card...

black1987corvette said: Another potential idea for "strategizing" involving Citi and Emigrant (and possibly Discover, but this might not be necessary):

* Use Citi for just Gas, Drug and Grocery...just the 5% purchases all year long. I figured it out for my spending in these areas, and the $300 (Citi max) would cover me for almost the entire year.
* Use something like EmigrantDirect (with it's new 1.4% for everything if you have the $10K in their savings for past 6 months) for the rest of your purchases.
*** the advantage this has is that Visa/MC is accepted in more places than AMEX Blue Cash...and this involves no tiered spending issues like with AMEX.

* When Discover has a "Get More" promotion, dust that card off and use it for those categories only (but since this is also a tiered card, not sure how the "Get More" works with their tier rules), but this is optional as it makes life more complex....

I don't actually have the Emigrant card yet (anyone have any feedback on that card?), but it seems like this strategy might work better for some people than an AMEX Blue Cash card...

The way I see the AMEX Blue Cash Card is...

1) You spend <$13,000 a year in which case you would be better off with (multiple if needed) 5%/1% CCs.

2) You spend > $13,000 a year in which case you be better off with a 5%/1% card for 5% purchases and a 2% BoA Power Rewards Card for other purchases.

3) You use AMEX for non-rebate advantages (BVG, good customer service, extended warranties) and AMEX Blue Cash just happens to have the best rebates for an AMEX card and you don't care about optimizing Cash Back with other cards.

x43b said: The way I see the AMEX Blue Cash Card is...

1) You spend <$13,000 a year in which case you would be better off with (multiple if needed) 5%/1% CCs.

2) You spend > $13,000 a year in which case you be better off with a 5%/1% card for 5% purchases and a 2% BoA Power Rewards Card for other purchases.

3) You use AMEX for non-rebate advantages (BVG, good customer service, extended warranties) and AMEX Blue Cash just happens to have the best rebates for an AMEX card and you don't care about optimizing Cash Back with other cards.

Good summary, I'm deifnitely #3. The Citibank 5% offer appears to expire after one year, then it drops down to 1%. I figure that if the AMEX say, saves me $100 through the warranty program, that's much more worth it than any citibank dealio.

The Citibank card I was referring to is the Dividend Platinum Select card, which doesn't expire AFAIK.

While I'm also not a big fan of Citi, I *am* a big fan of 5% with no tiers...but the catch is the $300 yearly max, so it only makes sense to charge the Gas, Grocery, Drug purchases, IMHO, since you can get 1%+ on quite a few other cards.

I was looking at the Bank of America site, and didn't see a reference yet to the 2% card. I see the Power Rewards card which seems to be $1 = 1 point...and 20,000 points = $200 at the top tier range. Is there another one which gives you a straight 2%? This is the one I saw.

Edit: I just saw the previous post on one of the earlier pages of this thread, but based on what I see on the above BofA site, it looks like they changed the rules so the max is now just 1% max based on the above link...correct? If true, I guess that sucks for those who currently have the card.

It appears that Chase Cash Plus is no longer offered online. It is no longer in the line up of their cards.

The good news is that Rewards Plus is still there!.... I think that is a better reward program anyway. If you were interested in applying for Cash Plus MC for the $100 bonus, I'd still give it a try and call the number listed in the OP. Chase doesn't always list all of their card offerings online, so it may still be offered via the phone.

I am interested to hear what they tell you about the card and whether or not it is still being offered.

As of Saturday, the Chase Cash Plus was being offered. I happened to call Chase and converted an old "Ultimate Cash Rewards" card (bad deal) to the Rewards Plus, and the CSR described the difference between the Rewards Plus and Cash Plus. You're right...Rewards plus is a much better deal ($600 yearly cap vs. $300 yearly cap for Cash Plus)

My father is and independent trucking contractor who spends about $45k on diesel fuel a year. Is there a card with no limit and 5% Cash Back rewards or any other similiar card that would be best for him? He doesn't want to carry 4 different cards and keep switching after he maxes one out.

Stabs said: My father is and independent trucking contractor who spends about $45k on diesel fuel a year. Is there a card with no limit and 5% Cash Back rewards or any other similiar card that would be best for him? He doesn't want to carry 4 different cards and keep switching after he maxes one out.

There used to be from Chase (if you were grandfathered into that program), but they discontinued it long ago. You can take a look at the Chase PerfectCard, as are no annual caps on gas rebates... however it's only 3% on gas. If your dad goes to Shell a lot, he can sign up for the Citi-Shell Platinum Select Card which earns 5% on Shell purchases and 1% everywhere else with no caps... but it's for future credits at Shell instead of Cash Back.

Stabs said: My father is and independent trucking contractor who spends about $45k on diesel fuel a year. Is there a card with no limit and 5% Cash Back rewards or any other similiar card that would be best for him? He doesn't want to carry 4 different cards and keep switching after he maxes one out.

Why not read the op? Card #11 seems best for his level of spending if he doesn't want to carry multiple cards.

AmEx Blue Cash (#11) is hands down the best choice for your father's situation IMHO. I think most gas stations take AMEX, don't they?

It's tiered, so during the first $6,000 in spending he'll earn only 1% back on gas purchases, but after that he'll earn 5% up to a whopping $50,000 in spending. Nothing else comes close to that high of a limit. Just note that after $50,000 in spending he'll earn nothing, so it would be smart to only use the card just for gas (especially with the price of gas now a days.

If my math is correct, he'll get about $1,990 back annually. I am jealous.

P.S. The card is buried a bit in my OP and not rated particularly high simply because it is not a great card for the average buyer who doesn't spend quite as much on Everyday purchases.

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys, I will let him know about these.

Thanks FFGuru. The AMEX Blue Cash is really good for those who are doing the GC binges (Dealpass/EVG/Buysmart). I routinely churn $4000 a month and Blue Cash will sit nicely for the 1.25% back after the initial $6000 while doubling as my GAS card whenver my Citibank maxes out. The $50000 limit does put a damper on things though. Any card with higher limits with >1% back?

I'm still using AMEX Starwood since we travel a bit and can't get better than Starwood points on hotels...better than Priceline even.

montreid said: Any card with higher limits with >1% back?

Bank of America Power Rewards Visa: 2% back on every $50,000 spent, no caps, no tiers.

FYI - Code 94B with $100 back is still working.

I just used it for the Cash Rewards Plus Master Card today.

Don't forget.....

The Chase Cash Plus bonus code in my OP expires April 30th. Additionally, Cash Plus is no longer offered on Chase's Website, so it may be going away soon too.

If you are interested in applying for the card, do so now, or it may be too late.

I was planning to do an app-o-rama next week. This throws a big monkey wrench in my plans.

the application for the chase card is still on the website,would it still work if i applied?

think i applied for cash plus and received a cashrewards card.

You can't get the bonus if you apply on the website....there is no place on the web application to type in any bonus codes...so, the only way you might get it is by applying on the phone...make sure they verify the bonus before you start the application with them....

jupiterman said: I was planning to do an app-o-rama next week. This throws a big monkey wrench in my plans.

You *may* be okay to wait. In the Cash Plus thread, Briarycliffs wrote "Offer Code 2YL is good until May 15, 2006. $100 bonus after first purchase. I just applied a couple days ago with this code and everything is fine so far. This was in the coupon section of the Lexington Herald Leader." It's a bit of a gamble though. There is no scan of this offercode so there is nothing to fall back on if Chase says no.

As for some of the other replies.....
The only way to get the $100 bonus is by applying over the phone.
The card I believe people are thinking of when they say that they still see it online is Rewards Plus. That is not the same as cash plus and it offers no bonus.

I don't think these cards will benefit your father. From what I understand most of these truck stops charge extra money for the use of credit over cash. Most of these truckers use fuel cards and some of them do offer different rebates. You'll have to look into that though.

I thought I remember reading in the disclosure that Chase could discontinue the 5% rewards at any time? Figure a lot of people are probably going for this card now with gas so high. Like getting a .15c discount on every gallon of $3 gas. Wonder if this could help speed the end of 5% cards

You *may* be okay to wait. In the Cash Plus thread, Briarycliffs wrote "Offer Code 2YL is good until May 15, 2006. $100 bonus after first purchase. I just applied a couple days ago with this code and everything is fine so far. This was in the coupon section of the Lexington Herald Leader." It's a bit of a gamble though. There is no scan of this offercode so there is nothing to fall back on if Chase says no.

I have the original, I can email a scan if someone else hosts, I don't know how to do that. My Mastercard just arrived yesterday. Maybe the Chase rep entered the wrong code or something.

scott1961 said: I thought I remember reading in the disclosure that Chase could discontinue the 5% rewards at any time? Figure a lot of people are probably going for this card now with gas so high. Like getting a .15c discount on every gallon of $3 gas. Wonder if this could help speed the end of 5% cards
I doubt if that would signal "the end" because the fact that they offer 5% on the everyday purchases (food/gas/drugs) tends to make one use their card as your primary card, and that's what it's all about. It's worth it to them to keep your business....

craig10x said: scott1961 said: I thought I remember reading in the disclosure that Chase could discontinue the 5% rewards at any time? Figure a lot of people are probably going for this card now with gas so high. Like getting a .15c discount on every gallon of $3 gas. Wonder if this could help speed the end of 5% cards
I doubt if that would signal "the end" because the fact that they offer 5% on the everyday purchases (food/gas/drugs) tends to make one use their card as your primary card, and that's what it's all about. It's worth it to them to keep your business....

Agreed. I know you guys/gals are talking about Chase but I've had my Citi Dividend for two years and the 5% terms have never changed. This included last summer when I was paying ~$3.00/gal for diesel in California. I don't think Chase or Citi dare back down from the 5% without suffering a huge migration...and not just from Fatwalleters. I know a ton of people who don't play the optimization game (I use at least 3 different cards for for different spending categories) but who settle on a Chase/Citi 5% card.

Is there any CC that gives 5% at office stores (Staples, OD) or electronic stores(CompUSA, Circuit City). I do not own a business, anything for an individual?

I have MTVU and citi divident that give me 5% on most of the things, a card for Staples deals would be nice.

Circuit City has its own store CC that gives 5% I think

andrey0 said: Is there any CC that gives 5% at office stores (Staples, OD) or electronic stores(CompUSA, Circuit City). I do not own a business, anything for an individual?

I have MTVU and citi divident that give me 5% on most of the things, a card for Staples deals would be nice.
The Advanta card gives you all that, including office supply and computer hardware purchases.

XeroK00L said: andrey0 said: Is there any CC that gives 5% at office stores (Staples, OD) or electronic stores(CompUSA, Circuit City). I do not own a business, anything for an individual?

The Advanta card gives you all that, including office supply and computer hardware purchases.

Are you suggesting I should "invent" my own business?

andrey0 said:

I did, and I was approved instantly. (got the card a week or two later)

markkundinger said: andrey0 said:

But is this legit? I'd think there would be some consequences.

How about when you are right about to cash out on your rewards they check your business, see it doesn't exist and cancel your CC, denying your rewards

andrey0 said: markkundinger said: andrey0 said:

But is this legit? I'd think there would be some consequences.

How about when you are right about to cash out on your rewards they check your business, see it doesn't exist and cancel your CC, denying your rewards
So far I have experienced no problem cashing out whatsoever.

FFGuru,

Chase has removed both the Chase Cash Plus and Rewards Plus cards from their website interestingly enough yet they still offer both cards. It appears that Chase is trying to have individual websites for their most lucrative cards instead. For instance the Chase Cash Plus card is now listed at www.chasecashback.com with the $50 signup bonus.

Also, Chase has relaunched their BP credit card and this probably should be added to the list. During the first 60 days customers will earn 10% at BP gas stations, 4% for dining (excludes Fast Food restaurants) and travel and 2% on all other purchases (excluding gas stations which are not BP, where you earn no rebates). After the first 2 months the rewards schedule is 5% at BP gas stations, 2% on dining and travel (excludes Fast Food restaurants) and 1% on all other purchsaes excluding gas stations which are not BP where you earn no rewards. Also, when you make first purchase within 3 months of signup you will earn a $40 BP gift card and also you can earn a $35 BP gift card if you spend $1000 on everyday purchases within 3 month of signing up for the card. Additionally, the rewards can be redeemed in $25 increments for a BP gift card, a check made out to you, or a donation to the Conservation Fund. So for people that frequent BP this could be a good deal and who want to earn more on Dining and Travel all in one card. Once again, this card has been removed from the Chase Card Line Up and can only be found at www.bpchase.com.

Just got my first statement from "Chase CASH PLUS Rewards MC"

I made a few small charges so I could cash out 10k points and switch to other Chase card.

I don't get how their points add up

My charges:
Drug Store 55.56
Drug Store (credit) -5.30
Lunch @ pizza place 6.36
Hair salon charge 90
Drug Store 16.72

My points
Points Earned at Gas, Grocery & Drug Stores: 335 (accounts for drug store purchase above)
Points Earned on Other Purchases : 97 ??????????
First Use Bonus : 10,000

Anyone know where this 97 points may have come from? Just want to understand the program.

Will cash out now. Thanks for heads up. Should I definitely wait to receive the $100 before switching to other Chase card?

amandaw33 said: Just got my first statement from "Chase CASH PLUS Rewards MC"

I made a few small charges so I could cash out 10k points and switch to other Chase card.

I don't get how their points add up

My charges:
Drug Store 55.56
Drug Store (credit) -5.30
Lunch @ pizza place 6.36
Hair salon charge 90
Drug Store 16.72

My points
Points Earned at Gas, Grocery & Drug Stores: 335 (accounts for drug store purchase above)
Points Earned on Other Purchases : 97 ??????????
First Use Bonus : 10,000

Anyone know where this 97 points may have come from? Just want to understand the program.

Will cash out now. Thanks for heads up. Should I definitely wait to receive the $100 before switching to other Chase card?

You spent $96.36 on other charges. You get 1 point per dollar spent at places other than gas, grocery and drug stores. 97 points for the $96.36 spent on "other" shopping!

duh thanks!

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 17 8 9101136
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.