• 118 19 20212236
  • Page
  • Text Only
FYI - I have, er, had, a Discover card that was about four years old and just applied for a Discover Gas card. They approved the new one, but they also cancelled the old account without notice. I got a notice from my credit monitoring service that the account had been "closed at the accountholders request". Called Discover and they confirmed that the old account was closed due to inactivity and because I applied for a new card. I last used the Discover card less than a year ago. What's done is done...

Did a text search on this thread for payment of taxes, didn't find anything. Anyone planning to sign up for a card with 3% to 6% Cash Back (on everything) for X amount of days and pay your taxes with it? You still make out if they charge a convience fee of 2.5% or something

I have not verified this but I think Sam's Club is considered as warehouse clubs, not grocery store.
I say that because of back to the old time when Sam's Club only takes Discover card, my Cash Back level on Discover card has reached 1%, I still only get 0.25% Cash Back when I use it at Sam's club. Then I found the Discover card ToC says

"Purchases made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores and their affiliates earn .25%."

And I remember my purchases at Dollar stores are considered as discount stores which gets 0.25% only also.

oumazdamx6 said: Does anyone know since Sam's Club starting payment by Mastercard, does Sam's count as 5% back with the Cash Cash Plus or Rewards Plus Mastercard? I always just got to Wal-Mart and put money on a giftcard for Sams. Thanks.

I don't see where the BP Card by Chase is still offering a $75 promo... does anyone have a code for this? When I click on the link to the website, it offers 10% for the first two billing cycles for BP gas... but if there is a $75 bonus as well, I'd like to apply there.

xpguy said: Anyone planning to sign up for a card with 3% to 6% Cash Back (on everything) for X amount of days and pay your taxes with it?

What is the 6% Cash Back on everything, for any amount of time, that you speak of? Links?

My mistake. Seems the only card that give 3% on everything for a limited time is the Shell card. But looking at the offer, it no longer gives 3% on everything for 60 days I guess it would have been a great time to apply for this card in December to pay your taxes in Jan.

Are mortgage payments eligible for rewards on any or all of these cards?

mjcarrabine said: Are mortgage payments eligible for rewards on any or all of these cards?

Good luck finding a mortgage co that will take a credit card!

FYI - maybe this is obvious, but the citi cards that have a time limited rewards program (i.e. Driver's Edge 6 percent for 12 months) will not give you that introductory rate if you want to transfer from a different citi rewards program. They told me I'd have to apply for a new card. I'm debating whether it's worth the credit hit, or if it's really a credit hit at all...

yea, i'm trying to debate the same thing. I just got my letter with the Platinum Select and I'm wondering if I should just apply for that card to get 6% for 1 year....

I seem to remember reading that having a certain amount of available but unused credit was a good thing, to a point. I'm not sure what that point is anymore. I guess I could just cancel my Citi Dividend card which I don't even use anymore since they dropped my grocery, Drugstore and gas down to 2%.

Updates to the summary:

REI card: up to 15% for members, 1% everywhere else. (add 3% CashBack to this and can anyone say Markup!)

HSBC Direct Rewards Mastercard : added Discontinued and link taken down, it redirects to the Direct Rewards Discover Card (1% everywhere) More details covered here

The Discover Gas Card is now called the Discover Open Road Card. Seems like the same card with a different name. The best thing about it is that you can use it to get 5% back on auto maintenance (oil changes, tire stores, paint shops, auto dealers, service/repair shops, part/supplies stores, towing services and car washes) in addition to gas (up to 1% on everything else.) On the downside, there is a ceiling of $1200 in spending at the 5% rate. (I'm just using it for auto maintenance, and using a different card for gas.) Another downside is that it isn't eligible for the "get more" program -- this is the one that gives 5% Cash Back bonus in different categories that change 4 times per year. If you have an old discover card that you're not using (as I did), you can just call them up to have them change it to the open road card.

FYI I called up Citi and told them I wanted to cancel my Platinum Select Dividend card because they were not going to let me convert it into a Driver's Edge card. Of course with the prospect of losing an acct, they then bent over backwards to convert me and make sure I am getting the bonus percentages (6% grocery, gas, drug) for the first year. YMMV.

halo0 said: FYI I called up Citi and told them I wanted to cancel my Platinum Select Dividend card because they were not going to let me convert it into a Driver's Edge card. Of course with the prospect of losing an acct, they then bent over backwards to convert me and make sure I am getting the bonus percentages (6% grocery, gas, drug) for the first year. YMMV.

Phooey. You got a better CSR than I did! Mine told me I had to open a new account if I wanted the promotion for the home rebate card because they couldn't transfer me from one rewards card to another. This is why it's important to keep calling until you get someone who sounds competent!

halo0 said: FYI I called up Citi and told them I wanted to cancel my Platinum Select Dividend card because they were not going to let me convert it into a Driver's Edge card. Of course with the prospect of losing an acct, they then bent over backwards to convert me and make sure I am getting the bonus percentages (6% grocery, gas, drug) for the first year. YMMV.

but did you get the existing CashBack on dividend converted?

madscribe said: halo0 said: FYI I called up Citi and told them I wanted to cancel my Platinum Select Dividend card because they were not going to let me convert it into a Driver's Edge card. Of course with the prospect of losing an acct, they then bent over backwards to convert me and make sure I am getting the bonus percentages (6% grocery, gas, drug) for the first year. YMMV.

Phooey. You got a better CSR than I did! Mine told me I had to open a new account if I wanted the promotion for the home rebate card because they couldn't transfer me from one rewards card to another. This is why it's important to keep calling until you get someone who sounds competent!

The key thing is the way you go about it. This was my second call. The first time I asked if they could transfer me to the other program. They said no, that I would have to open a new account, and then she transferred me to the new accounts department. On the second call (several weeks later) I simply said I wanted to close my account. They then transfer you to the "department that will do almost anything to keep you from closing your account" as I like to call it. This CSR said it was no problem. In order to ensure I got the bonus percentages for the first 12 months she said she had to do some sort of "match" since with a normal conversion it would not be considered a new account. She had me fax over a copy of the citicards.com page showing the benefits of the Driver's Edge card.

And she did indicate that my current rewards balance would transfer over, but I will of course verify that it does when this is complete.

Chase Cash Plus Rewards will no longer give 5 points per dollar spent at supermarkets, warehouse clubs and discount stores as of May 2007 statement date. Only gas stations, stand alone grocery stores and drug stores will remain in the 5% category.

dp

dp

halo0 said: he key thing is the way you go about it. This was my second call. The first time I asked if they could transfer me to the other program. They said no, that I would have to open a new account, and then she transferred me to the new accounts department. On the second call (several weeks later) I simply said I wanted to close my account. They then transfer you to the "department that will do almost anything to keep you from closing your account" as I like to call it. This CSR said it was no problem. In order to ensure I got the bonus percentages for the first 12 months she said she had to do some sort of "match" since with a normal conversion it would not be considered a new account. She had me fax over a copy of the citicards.com page showing the benefits of the Driver's Edge card.

And she did indicate that my current rewards balance would transfer over, but I will of course verify that it does when this is complete.

I tried again, but still no luck. Got forwarded a couple times and ultimately ended up speaking with 3 different CSRs, none of whom was helpful. One of them almost canceled my existing account before I stopped her.

EugeneV said: Chase Cash Plus Rewards will no longer give 5 points per dollar spent at supermarkets, warehouse clubs and discount stores as of May 2007 statement date. Only gas stations, stand alone grocery stores and drug stores will remain in the 5% category.

I don't get the difference...

Edit:
ah... See here for an exact quote of the notice regarding the change: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/524032/10435033

Basically places like WalMart, that were kind of ambiguous are now out... The rewards are still the same, just the classifications are more strict. That's fine by me.

If Amazon.com stops being counted for 5% through the Citi mtvU card, though.... that's something worth talking about.

Why convert when you can get a $100 signup bonus for Driver's Edge card?

Edit: I apologize. The $100 signup bonus is not there anymore. I was living in past.

ShakuniMama said: halo0 said: FYI I called up Citi and told them I wanted to cancel my Platinum Select Dividend card because they were not going to let me convert it into a Driver's Edge card. Of course with the prospect of losing an acct, they then bent over backwards to convert me and make sure I am getting the bonus percentages (6% grocery, gas, drug) for the first year. YMMV.

Why convert when you can get a $100 signup bonus for Driver's Edge card?

There is no bonus that I am aware of. Please provide info if you know otherwise.

yes, please provide the 100 dollar bonus as this might be a very tempting card now.

I apologize. The $100 signup bonus is not there anymore. I was living in past.

Rewards Plus and Cash Plus Rewards are discontinued.

Rewards Plus and Cash Plus Rewards are discontinued.

Just a clarification. Chase Cash Plus Rewards cards are alive and well in the hands of their holders. However, Chase chose to simply terminate NEW applications.

LustfortheMoment said: Rewards Plus and Cash Plus Rewards are discontinued.

Just a clarification. Chase Cash Plus Rewards cards are alive and well in the hands of their holders. However, Chase chose to simply terminate NEW applications.
Yes. Gotta love that card.

ellory said: LustfortheMoment said: Rewards Plus and Cash Plus Rewards are discontinued.

Yes. Gotta love that card.

So are rewards plus cards for that matter. (which are better than cash plus so neener neener).

Bump

I believe GM card has a cap of $500 of earnings per year.

Free free free.. FREEDOOM!

InFlamed said: LustfortheMoment said: Rewards Plus and Cash Plus Rewards are discontinued.

Free free free.. FREEDOOM!

Not not not NOOOT 5%!

true...alive and well for most of us for the moment, but based on what we have learned (from letters received by quite a few Cash Plus card holders, here on FW, it's on the way out....It was very nice that Chase did let us stay with it so long past the time it was discontinued, but from the looks of things, we are all (Cash Plus and Rewards Plus) going to get converted over to Freedom, sooner or later.....

I didn't see this in the summary page.

I am considering this one for pay-at-pump gas purchase use:

PENFED
Visa Platinum Gas Cash Reward
Earn 5.00% Cash Back from gas purchases paid at the pump
Earn 1.25% Cash Back from all purchases* you make with the card during each billing cycle
No Annual Fee
Cash Rewards credited each month
No special restrictions to earn your cash rewards

Here's a cheap bump simply b/c I updated the OP after close to a year of neglect.

Let me know of any new additions, changes, or errors.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive!! ~FFGuru

Advanta card: said:

Cash Back rewards on Bonus category qualifying purchases are earned as follows: 5% on up to $1,200 in purchases; 1% on purchases in excess of $1,200.

$60 per year is pretty lame. Should update the OP. It is not $300 per year.

Also Blue Cash is not 1.25%, please correct.

The summary page for Pen Fed should mention the 5% back on gas. Also it has only a 1% foreign transaction fee, netting a .25% back on foreign transactions (non-gas) counting monthly credited Cash Back.

Dividend should be moved to limited time offers, since it works as a 5% card for 6 months.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 118 19 20212236
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014