• 12 3 4536
  • Page
  • Text Only
Morty said: Also add the Advanta Platinum Business Rewards Mastercard that provides 5% back on gasoline, office supplies, technology items, and utilities, 1% on everything else. Max $25/month. Watch for merchants that code as general retail (such as Dell), so you need to be selective about using it.
libralibra said: But my real question is, why do the airline affinity cards still exist? They give only 1 mile/$, have $50-100 annual fee, and have blackout dates (or capacity controls since they're just regular miles). With these 5% cards, spending $5000 gives you a ticket with no blackouts or limited seats, and no annual fee. Am I missing something?Not everybody travels only domestically. Priced a flight to Europe or India in high season? In that case, miles are king, if you can use them. Or you can nearly always spend twice the miles to fly on the last available seat. Ever have to go to a funeral last minute? Its often 5 times the price, but only twice the miles. Or flying business or first class. Lots of reasons for miles over cash.

5% on transportation also. It's a great card, and I have been very happy with their customer support so far. Very polite, friendly, helpful, and speak very clearly.

Then I should read my terms better. What kinds of transactions count as "transportation"? More importantly, which merchants are coded correctly? Currently I use the card to pay my cable, utilities, Staples, Office Depot, Newegg-type stores up to the $500 a month. I've found that Dell, Office Max, Radio Shack, Buy.com, Best Buy, Circuit City and a few others do not receive the 5% rewards, just 1%. I just check my statement each month and try to verify that it is 5%.

Thanks OP! Especially for the head's up on the Citibank AMEX- now I can get 5% AND participate in the wishlists and get great CS.

CaptainAlias said: Thanks OP! Especially for the head's up on the Citibank AMEX- now I can get 5% AND participate in the wishlists and get great CS.

I am also excited about the citi/AMEX card. Are you sure AMEX will handle the customer service though? I figured it would be citibank.

CaptainAlias said: Thanks OP! Especially for the head's up on the Citibank AMEX- now I can get 5% AND participate in the wishlists and get great CS.

its a citi card.

it has nothing to do with AMEX other then the name.

same with mbna AMEX cards.

Storme said: CaptainAlias said: Thanks OP! Especially for the head's up on the Citibank AMEX- now I can get 5% AND participate in the wishlists and get great CS.

its a citi card.

it has nothing to do with AMEX other then the name.

same with mbna AMEX cards.

Wait, now I'm confused. So it doesn't offer the AMEX privileges like the wishlist?

I doubt it.

Maybe someone who has an MBNA AMEX can chime in and tell us if they were able to participate this year.

OP - att universal has a $300 annual rewards cap, not 750. please edit OP

didYOUsearch said: OP - att universal has a $300 annual rewards cap, not 750. please edit OP

Thats what I thought too, and that is why I included this card under Dividend after you mentioned it.... until I did some research.... "You can earn up to 75,000 ThankYou Points during any calendar year (eligible purchases appearing on your January-December billing statements" That is in the fine print of the website I linked, and in the terms and conditions of the apply page." Joe1690 described the card (correctly) as very similar to the Diamond Preferred offering, which is what brought the higher rewards limit to my attention. I too thought it was limited to $300, until I did some research after Joe1690's remarks. Thanks Joe1690!

I do find it odd, however, that in the terms and conditions of the apply page, it only mentions 5% off AT&T purchases. In the card description page I linked in my OP it does say specifically that you can save 5% on the Big 3 as well. Joe1690 said that they don't limit the Big 3 discount to 1 year, and he seems to regularly be correct, but I would still call before applying to make sure that is the case. Citi was a bit deceiving when it came to the Diamond Preferred limit, so I don't put my full trust in Citi to disclose everything.

Thanks for looking out for me though dYs. It seems like they upgraded the program though... to our benefit.

theres different versions of the att universal card - the Thank You points one has the 75000 point max.

the cash rewards version has $300 rewards cap

The citi/AMEX does have "price protection" per the citicard site.

didYOUsearch said: theres different versions of the att universal card - the Thank You points one has the 75000 point max.

the cash rewards version has $300 rewards cap

dYs: Got it. Thanks! OP updated. I just googled it and found the other card. Do you know for sure that the 5% rewards are not limited to 1 year?

Everyone: Please provide links to new cards and/or offers, and I'll add them to the OP. Thanks for all of your information! The list wouldn't be so comprehensive without you!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the reason I feel AT&T Universal is better than Dividend is because of their free cell phone insurance.

Up to 100 dollars back off a new cell phone purchase if your old phone was lost or stolen. Your old cell phone also needs to be at least 150 dollars for full 100 back. Stolen phones need to have a police report done with 48 hours of theft. Lost phones must be reported within 60 days of loss. You need copies of old cell phone receipt, new cell phone receipt, and police report.

Here is an example:

I paid 75 dollars for my old cell phone. It gets stolen. I file a police report within 48 days. I buy a new cell phone for 125 dollars. I send in my old receipt, new receipt, and police report. I will get 25 dollar check back, because they take the lesser value of the two phones, minus the 50 dollar deductable, and then issue the amount. In this example, you take $75 as the lower value of the two, and subtract the 50 dollar deductable, and get a 25 dollar insurance check back.

Best usage of this insurance would be to have a 150 dollar original phone, and replace with another 150 dollar phone if your original phone is lost or stolen. You can get the full 100 dollar discount.

For more info call up AT&T Universal Card.

A small perk for Citi cards is that you can put your photo and signature on the front of the card. I like this feature. The dividend card can also be obtained in a VISA version if you are a student, so that might also be another reason to get Dividend instead of the other 5% MC cards.

I also opted for the AT&T card due to the extra perks via at&t.

the att universal cash rewards 5% card was 5% on gas grocery ad drug for life when a lot of us signed up for it last year, dont know whether new apps have the same terms

sleepynyte - they dont require police report for a LOST phone right?
if so, seems far easier to say it was lost rather than stolen. no one rarely knows for sure if their phone is lost or stolen anyway

I don't believe they require a police report for a lost phone.

It appears that Discover Platinum Home Improvement and Discover Platinum Restaurant cards are no longer being offered on the Discover web site. The Discover Platinum Gas card is still available.

I just got my restaurant card last week. I wonder how long it will last...

There's something really bothering me, I have two citi cards now, and it's really bugging me that there was a possibility that I could have referred myself for my second card and gotten (in my case) $50... has anyone tried referring themselves? cuz im a college student and i referred myself to see what the email says, and it actually offered any college cards, so i was wondering if i had signed up for my second card through my own referral instead of a straight normal application, would i have gotten the $50 statement reward?!

reckoner said: It appears that Discover Platinum Home Improvement and Discover Platinum Restaurant cards are no longer being offered on the Discover web site. The Discover Platinum Gas card is still available.

Has anyone received notice of when/if they will cancel/transfer cards? Isn't there a notification time?

The discover restaurant card link is broken on their website, it does look like they're not offering them anymore.

poo said:

Has anyone received notice of when/if they will cancel/transfer cards? Isn't there a notification time?

If I could guess, it wouldn't be for a while. From what I understand, they offered an "Education Card" several years ago, and I believe that those people who got the card when it was originally offered still have it with the old benefits to this day. Discover is generally good about "granfathering" in old rules.

Darn it, I liked Discover... especially their customer service.

Stay tuned.... lets hope that they come out with a new and exciting offer in the near future to replace these two cards. I'll wait to remove the cards from my OP for a bit until we are sure it's not a glitch.

First of all, it sounds like the CSR's may be calling the Chase Rewards Plus MC ()... just Chase Rewards Platinum. That may be the source of the confusion. Ask them about the details of the rewards. That will tell you if they are the same cards.

Now, I just had a thought. I don't want to sign up for too many cards, but what would stop me from signing up for Chase Cash Plus MC() and then converiting to to the Chase Rewards Plus MC () once I have maxed out the rewards? That way I'd get the $100 signing bonus and the higher reward limit? Can I do the same with Citi too?

Have any of you had success in doing this?

Several people have sent me private messages about the GM Card. (I don't have it, so I am no expert) Since I recommend it so highly, I thought I should probably include that information. Thank you fotomaniak and slimcustomer!.... let me know if you'd rather not have this info posted.

from fotomaniak....
more info for 5% CC thread:
1) About GM Card:
a) if you want to redeem points to lease the car you MUST lease through GMAC lease which is more expensive than other leases. So it is not a good idea to use this card if you plan on leasing the car.
b) you can add authorized user and he/she will be able to redeem points for the purchase of the car.\\

from slimcustomer.....
......The GM Card also sometimes allows you to earn rewards on no fee balance transfer checks(these are targeted offers). I was able to earn $500 just by writing a check out to myself and paying off my credit card account just a few days latter......

FF Guru,

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, you can wait until you've negotiated your best price before presenting your GM Card to redeem your earnings. I personally wouldn't mention it beforehand, but I suppose you could if you so choose(I think that would weaken your negotiating power a bit if you mentioned it at the start of negotiations).

Your take on "select" seems right on, but I also assume the word "select" gives them the wiggle room not to offer a rebate on a hot car if they saw fit. However, redemption levels for the "New GM Card" are usually set once a year and I've never seen them modify their redemption allowances mid-year(My family has both the "OLD GM Card" and the "NEW GM Card". Different rules apply to redemptions for both cards).

Here's one link that describes the BT scheme. It's definitely YMMV as it was a targeted offer. You may choose to include this link in your OP if you see fit. I've redeemed over $4500 in earnings over the course of two car purchases as I've got another $3,500 waiting to be redeemed between my family's two cards so I'm very pleased with this card. Other people report recieving low credit lines if they already have a lot of available credit on their other cards. My wife and I are just lucky I guess as our limits are $18,5000 and $13,000 respectively.

I hope this info has been helpful. I've noticed that you've joined FW fairly recently. I hope that you've enjoyed this forum. For those who contribute and are willing to help others, there are many rewards(at least that's what I've found). Keep up the good work.

Slim

If anyone else has experience with the card, let us know. Has anyone applied since seeing this topic? What is your CL?

Don't know if this is applicable to the discussion or not, but as mentioned in various Citi CC threads, thankyounetwork's redemption process is very hit or miss. In my experience they are very slow to deliver GC's. Just something to consider if you want that redemption for an upcoming purchase. I had placed an order for Circuit City and Target GC's in early December and neither one came before Christmas. The order was placed by a phone call, not on the web, but I've read that they're just slow no matter how you order.

There was some mention of the service getting better after complaints last year but I haven't see it yet, some have been lucky though.

I've had no probs getting rebate checks from my Citi Dividend Select, these always come in 7-10 days. Chase' choosemyrewards was speedy as well when I got a $100 Visa GC for the Cash Plus card.

Awesome Post OP! Thanks!!

This is my first post, but I found your list a while back. I just signed up for Cash Plus with the code HG1 and it worked! I will try to strategize too. I asked Chase, and they confirmed that I can change programs at any time.

Are you sure that you can't switch between Visa and MC when trying to "strategize" don't they both operate on the same CC system?

Someone should make this post a sticky or put it in the "Secrets Inside..." thread.

skiter53 said: The discover restaurant card link is broken on their website, it does look like they're not offering them anymore.

I emailed Discover about this and they confirmed Restaurant is gone. I assume this goes for HOme Improvement also:

Thank you for your message about the Discover restaurant Card Account. We are no longer offering this Account. Existing Restaurant Card Accounts will be able to remain, but new Restaurant Accounts will not be offered.

We appreciate your business and the time you have taken to contact us today. Thank you for choosing to use Discover Card.

This is a BAD MOVE for Discover. How can they compete when they only give 5% for Gas? EVERYONE else gives 5% for Gas. They better come out with something GOOD if they want to stay in the game. I am thankful though, that I will get to keep using my Restaurant card.

Thanks JadeEyedScorpio for the info on Discover. I'll take your word and remove them from my OP. I agree that Discover will not be competative anymore without those cards. They were doing so good. I wonder if they are in financial troubles?

tansynelson, I am glad that you like my post! Thanks! That would be awesome if it would be a sticky or get in the "Secrets found here" thread.....

until then hopefully people just continue replying in order to bump the post and keep it visible. Cheers.

Here is my strategy (2 card only). I already have the Citi 5% card. I want to get one of the following for non 5% purchaes:

Citi PremierPass (received $100 bonus offer)- Should be able to get 2% rebate (1%purchase+1%miles) for noncash redemption. Even a lite traveler should be able to get the 1% for miles.

Fidelity - 1.5% cash rebate on everything deposited to Fidelity account. Need to have account with Fidelity. I think my mutual fund would be ok

Any thoughts. I like to stay with 2 or 3 cards max.

vpam said: Here is my strategy (2 card only). I already have the Citi 5% card. I want to get one of the following for non 5% purchaes:

Citi PremierPass (received $100 bonus offer)- Should be able to get 2% rebate (1%purchase+1%miles) for noncash redemption. Even a lite traveler should be able to get the 1% for miles.

Fidelity - 1.5% cash rebate on everything deposited to Fidelity account. Need to have account with Fidelity. I think my mutual fund would be ok

Any thoughts. I like to stay with 2 or 3 cards max.

PremierPass is an interesting card. The thing you must remember with any mileage card is that there is a value to consolodation. Since you cannot combine miles (points) between different programs, it is smart to try to keep as many of your miles in as few places as possible (to an extent.) If you signed up for the card and had 20,000 miles on Continental, 20,000 points in premier pass, you still wouldn't have a free trip. So I guess it is up to you to figure the value of getting the miles with PremierPass too. You can figure it out mathematically. Do a search on "the value of frequent flier miles," both here and on flyertalk.com. Then you will be able to make an educated decision. Are you looking at the Elite card or just the standard no annual fee? I am not sure how you calculate 2% rebate either. Wouldn't that assume that you only use the card for airline tickets?

As for fidelity, I don't know much about the card, but 1.5% back is awesome. In most cases I think that would probably be worth more than PremierPass (unless I am not following your 2% rebate with PremierPass scheme) I think generally everyone would like the card, and those who don't sign up for it just don't know about it or don't have an account with fidelity.

Let us know what you figure out.

If anyone has a formula for calculating the value of a frequent flier credit card mile, let us know. I'll try to see what I can come up with too.

The good part about premier pass is that it is part of the thankyou network so one could use the AT&T Universal Rewards card and get 5 ThankYou points per dollar at gas stations, supermarkets, and drugstores and use the premier pass card on other purchases if the person flies enough then you could be getting 2 points per dollar or 5 points per dollar depending on what you spend your money on.

Here is how I'm coming out with the 2% rebate for PremierPass (no annual fee version). If I purchase a ticket for myself, spouse, parents, etc. equal to 20,000 miles during the year, I would earn 6,700 thankyou points. If I use the card to purchase $6,700 worth of non 5% purchases during the year, that would give me another 6,700 thank you points.

In total I would earn 13,400 thank you points with $6,700 in purchases. 2% redemption for gift card or other goods. In my case, i don't have interest in using PremierPass miles for travel redemption.

Of course, if you fly less and purchase more you will not reach 2% but it will greater than 1%

vpam said: Here is how I'm coming out with the 2% rebate for PremierPass (no annual fee version). If I purchase a ticket for myself, spouse, parents, etc. equal to 20,000 miles during the year, I would earn 6,700 thankyou points. If I use the card to purchase $6,700 worth of non 5% purchases during the year, that would give me another 6,700 thank you points.

In total I would earn 13,400 thank you points with $6,700 in purchases. 2% redemption for gift card or other goods. In my case, i don't have interest in using PremierPass miles for travel redemption.

Of course, if you fly less and purchase more you will not reach 2% but it will greater than 1%

You aren't including whatever cost of the ticket in your total spending though. That is inflating the percentage you get back. Correct me if I am wrong, but you only earn miles if the ticket is purchased on the PremierPass. So the amount you have to spend for those miles is substantially higher.

I didn't realize the points were part of ThankYou. So I guess that takes care of some of the consolodation issue

I actually have a Chase Flexible Rewards that benefits my alma mater. I got an alumni newsletter that mentioned it and signed up. And the first purchase I made earned me 1000 points automatically. Since October I have spent $7303 and received 9621 points. How does that sound? I honestly don't know compared to other cards, so I welcome opinions. However, no one can give me a straight answer from CS as to how much money is going to my old school. But my alumni newsletter keeps raving about it, so I encourage folks to get the card if they want to benefit charities.

Still, I think I might switch over to using my Blue Cash more. Cash is cash after all. (Though with flexible rewards you can convert points to cash at a miserable ratio).

Does anyone know a straight up cash card that benefits charity?

asmodean said: I actually have a Chase Flexible Rewards that benefits my alma mater. I got an alumni newsletter that mentioned it and signed up. And the first purchase I made earned me 1000 points automatically. Since October I have spent $7303 and received 9621 points. How does that sound? I honestly don't know compared to other cards, so I welcome opinions. However, no one can give me a straight answer from CS as to how much money is going to my old school. But my alumni newsletter keeps raving about it, so I encourage folks to get the card if they want to benefit charities.

Still, I think I might switch over to using my Blue Cash more. Cash is cash after all. (Though with flexible rewards you can convert points to cash at a miserable ratio).

Does anyone know a straight up cash card that benefits charity?

Do you pay an annual fee for the rewards? It looks like Chase generally charges additional money to tie a rewards program to a charity card... I don't know about alumni cards.

Chase has several cards that benefit charities. Most notably they have one for St. Judes Childrens Hospital and The World Wildlife Fund. I tried to get the St. Judes card with the Rewards Plus program but Chase said it couldn't be done. I don't know how much they benefit charities or associated schools. If you can't find out the exact amount from the credit card company or the beneficiary, my guess would be that it would be smarter to just get one of the 5% cards in the OP and just write a check to your charity for whatever rewards you earn. They will probably make more money that way than just by using the card with the charity logo on it.

Chase's National Geographic card has a free rewards program for the user and I would assume it supports the society as well. That might be an interesting card to have too.

vpam said:

Here is how I'm coming out with the 2% rebate for PremierPass (no annual fee version). If I purchase a ticket for myself, spouse, parents, etc. equal to 20,000 miles during the year, I would earn 6,700 thankyou points. If I use the card to purchase $6,700 worth of non 5% purchases during the year, that would give me another 6,700 thank you points.

------------------------

You aren't including whatever cost of the ticket in your total spending though. That is inflating the percentage you get back. Correct me if I am wrong, but you only earn miles if the ticket is purchased on the PremierPass. So the amount you have to spend for those miles is substantially higher.

So with the card, the max you could earn would be 1.33 points per dollar if you used the card to purchase only on Airline Tickets. The percentage would drop from there.

I didn't realize the points were part of ThankYou. So I guess that takes care of some of the consolodation issue
----------------------------------------

Here is my understanding of how the card works (i don't have the card so correct me if this is not right). If I spend $300 to purchase a ticket for a 900 mile flight. I would earn 300 point for the purchase and 300 point for the flight...total of 600 points. 2 points per dollar

sauveseattle and asmodean,

I am suprised chase told you that you could not get the St. Judes Card with Chase Rewards plus added. If you were applying for the card you would have to first apply for the card and then have the rewards program added later. Chase has told me allowed me to change my rewards program on the World Wildlife Fund card to any other rewards program. However, the only way to get a St. Judes card is by applying for a new card, you cannot product convert from any other chase card so perhaps this is why chase won't let you add the rewards program. Also, chase offers the Chase Flexible Rewards select program on almost all of their charity cards for an annual fee but you can also choose from a non fee rewards program. Also, asmodean I am pretty sure that if you called up and asked to have your flexible rewards program converted to cash plus or rewards plus you could. At the very least ask them which rewards program you can transfer to and they will tell you. The free cash rewards is better than the flexible rewards because it gives you 1% back and for every 2500 points you can get $25 versus the flexible rewards requiring 3500 points for $25 Cash Back. Also, the reason you earned more than 1 point per dollar is more than likely the Chase Love the Double promotion they ran from Sept 15 - December 31 where you got double points at gas stations, supermarkets, drugstores, and at restaurants.

Hope this helps everyone. In addition, be persistant and call and talk to several different reps if you don't get a response you like. I was initially told I couldn't convert my World WildLife fund with free cash rewards to Cash Plus but got a rep who told me it could be done and did so. As soon as I get my 5000 points I plan to convert that card to the Rewards Plus program.

~ Discover Strategy- Sign up for whichever program (#12 or 13) will benefit you the most for the time being. If you realize that you will earn more in the other program, just call to switch. You can do so as much as you want. The switch happens at the close of your billing cycle.

* although only $600 of that can be redeemed in a year as cash. So you have to redeem the rest as gift cards, travel, or simply wait until next year to redeem that extra cash. Thanks again jowaju!

** A benefit of Discover is that you can maximize your reward and feasibly double it by redeeming your reward as a gift certificate to certain specialty retailers, or get 6.25% back by getting gift certificates to more everyday type retailers. (click here for more info) Discover does not limit the total Cash Back bonus you can earn, only the amount in the 5% bracket.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If I keep switching to different programs, I still get to keep all the points I earn in each program and I guess it is 5% toward maximum of $1500 for each program.

When I talked to discovercard about changing my gas card, they told me I will lose all my points.

Joe1690 said: sauveseattle and asmodean,

I am suprised chase told you that you could not get the St. Judes Card with Chase Rewards plus added. If you were applying for the card you would have to first apply for the card and then have the rewards program added later. Chase has told me allowed me to change my rewards program on the World Wildlife Fund card to any other rewards program. However, the only way to get a St. Judes card is by applying for a new card, you cannot product convert from any other chase card so perhaps this is why chase won't let you add the rewards program. Also, chase offers the Chase Flexible Rewards select program on almost all of their charity cards for an annual fee but you can also choose from a non fee rewards program. Also, asmodean I am pretty sure that if you called up and asked to have your flexible rewards program converted to cash plus or rewards plus you could. At the very least ask them which rewards program you can transfer to and they will tell you. The free cash rewards is better than the flexible rewards because it gives you 1% back and for every 2500 points you can get $25 versus the flexible rewards requiring 3500 points for $25 Cash Back. Also, the reason you earned more than 1 point per dollar is more than likely the Chase Love the Double promotion they ran from Sept 15 - December 31 where you got double points at gas stations, supermarkets, drugstores, and at restaurants.

Hope this helps everyone. In addition, be persistant and call and talk to several different reps if you don't get a response you like. I was initially told I couldn't convert my World WildLife fund with free cash rewards to Cash Plus but got a rep who told me it could be done and did so. As soon as I get my 5000 points I plan to convert that card to the Rewards Plus program.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks! So did you switch rewards programs (completely out of the WWF) or just add a rewards program onto the World Wildlife Fund card? In other words is the WWF still benefitting from you now since the switch? Or did Chase just opt to not send you a new card with the change?

Also, do you know which charity cards you can convert? Thanks for the info!

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 12 3 4536
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014