• 123 4 536
  • Page
  • Text Only
FFGuru,

I still have the world Wildlife Fund Card but have cash plus as an added value program on the card with no extra fees. So my card gives 1% to WWF and 1%/5% to me depending on the category of purchase. This particular card can be converted to a myriad of different cards within the Chase product line. What I found interesting though is after everyone else was saying they couldn't get the rewards plus program on their affinity card I tried to convert just to see if it was available and they told me it was no dice. What is even weirder was that I only had 4 rewards programs available to me (free cash rewards, cash plus, travel plus ($39 annual fee), and Flexible Rewards select ($59 annual fee)). I found this interesting because a lot of the affinity cards chase has come with either flexible rewards or value miles. I was told that apparently the rewards programs available for each card are different and it also depends on the individual cardholder as to what rewards programs are available. Apparently, Chase has changed a lot of things since I got my card and changed to Cash Plus. The representative understood my fustration and told me he would be bringing up my concerns to the higher ups (for what that's worth). He even tried to get me into the rewards plus program through a backdoor but no dice. I will update you if I am successful on changing from Cash Plus.

FFGuru said: Updated 01/27/06

~ NEW! Big Spender Strategy- (Involves 2 cards) If you spend more than $15,000 on Everyday Purchases annually, try this. Get AMEX Blue Cash (#10) and any other 5% card from the list (my suggestion is #5 for the $100 bonus). Use your AMEX as much as possible in the beginning of the year in places where you do not earn 5% (Costco is perfect) and spend $6,500 ASAP. During this time, use the other card just for purchases earning 5%. Once you have accumulated $6,500 in spending on your AMEX for the year, switch all purchases over to your AMEX. Few cards will beat its 5% on Everday Purchases, and even fewer will beat its 1.25% Cash Back everywhere else. Repeat annually.

I would think the best bet for big spenders would be the BoA power rewards card that gives 2% Cash Back. To get 2% you have to accumulate 50K points (ie spend $50000 dollars). No fee Bank of America power rewards Visa (Personal or Business) - up to 2% cash back, uncapped

Get some other card(s) for the 5% back on "everyday" purchases and use the BoA power rewards for everything else.

return222 said:

~ Discover Strategy- Sign up for whichever program (#12 or 13) will benefit you the most for the time being. If you realize that you will earn more in the other program, just call to switch. You can do so as much as you want. The switch happens at the close of your billing cycle.

* although only $600 of that can be redeemed in a year as cash. So you have to redeem the rest as gift cards, travel, or simply wait until next year to redeem that extra cash. Thanks again jowaju!

** A benefit of Discover is that you can maximize your reward and feasibly double it by redeeming your reward as a gift certificate to certain specialty retailers, or get 6.25% back by getting gift certificates to more everyday type retailers. (click here for more info) Discover does not limit the total Cash Back bonus you can earn, only the amount in the 5% bracket.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If I keep switching to different programs, I still get to keep all the points I earn in each program and I guess it is 5% toward maximum of $1500 for each program.

When I talked to discovercard about changing my gas card, they told me I will lose all my points.

Discover doesn't have points, they have Cash Back. When I changed my regular Plat Discover to Restaurant I did not lost any of my CashBack Bonus. That being said, they no longer offer Restaurant and home Improvement cards with 5%, so you don't have all those opportunities for switching any more.

Yep, the 5% Discover Restaurant Card offer was discontinued as of 1/23/2006, according to Discover Card senior account management. Hope that it would not impact existing cardholders.

76hhma said: Yep, the 5% Discover Card offer was discontinued as of 1/23/2006, according to Discover Card senior account management. Hope that it would not impact existing cardholders.

I am trying to decide if I want to switch my gas card back to regular platnium card. The problem with AMEX and Discovercard is many resturants don't accept them. I have a resturant AMEX card.

I don't use my discover card much nowadays. I am keeping it around just in case I want to use a separate card for purchases online. The gas card gives me 1% right away for standard purchases but cap at $1,500. But my only problem is I can't take advantage of their special promotion.

Gasoline Purchases:
$0 - $1,500: 5%
$1,500.01 - $3,000: 3%
$3,000.01 - $25,000: 1%
The gas CashBack Bonus award is capped at $25,000; any purchases above $25,000 will not earn an award.

Standard Purchases:
$0 - $1,500: 1%
$1,500.01 - $3,000: 0.5%
$3,000.01 + : 0.25%
There is no cap on standard purchases.

Regular Platnium
Qualified Purchases:
$0 - $1,500: Earns 0.25%
$1,500.01 - $3,000: Earns 0.5%
$3000.01 +: Earns 1%

return222, I had the gas card in November, but then thought I'd make more on their pre-Christmas get-more offer which gave 5% for online purchases. I switched from gas to the basic platinum (the one which gives 5% on Get More Purchases) without redeeming points. It worked like a charm, I bought my online stuff, and switched back to the gas program. I've earned about $80 cash from Discover in 4 months (I am not a big spender) and If I convert into a Sharper Image gift card, I'll have $160! Not bad. So you shouldn't have to redeem. That is unless things have changed since then. I thing you'll get more knowledgable CSR's if you e-mail them. FW forum on switching Discover Programs.

To all: If you've got Discover already you might as well use in your 5% areas it because 1) its the only card on the list which can get you 6.25%-10% back on your purchases. 2) if you use, or switch into the gas card it will keep you from maxing out the rewards on other cards so quickly (even if you already have an Everyday Purchases 5% card)

FFGuru said: 76hhma said: Yep, the 5% Discover Card offer was discontinued as of 1/23/2006, according to Discover Card senior account management. Hope that it would not impact existing cardholders.

Well, the 5% gas card is still there, and you can still participate in 5% Get More purchases with the Platinum. It is just the restaurant and home improvement card which have disappeared.

return222, I had the gas card in November, but then thought I'd make more on their pre-Christmas get-more offer which gave 5% for online purchases. I switched from gas to the basic platinum (the one which gives 5% on Get More Purchases) without redeeming points. It worked like a charm, I bought my online stuff, and switched back to the gas program. I've earned about $80 cash from Discover in 4 months (I am not a big spender) and If I convert into a Sharper Image gift card, I'll have $160! Not bad. So you shouldn't have to redeem. That is unless things have changed since then. I thing you'll get more knowledgable CSR's if you e-mail them. FW forum on switching Discover Programs.

To all: If you've got Discover already you might as well use in your 5% areas it because 1) its the only card on the list which can get you 6.25%-10% back on your purchases. 2) if you use, or switch into the gas card it will keep you from maxing out the rewards on other cards so quickly (even if you already have an Everyday Purchases 5% card)

Sorry, I meant the 5% Restaurant card only (edited). Thanks.

AMEX has a restaurant card? Got a link or name?

JadeEyedScorpio said: AMEX has a restaurant card? Got a link or name?
I believe he was talking about Discover used to have a resturant card.

AMEX truesaving is sort of a resturant card.

• Earn Cash Back on virtually every purchase:
- 3% for eating out
- 2% for traveling
- 1% everywhere else, including Costco
• No annual fee with your paid Costco membership.

Note to FF Guru...here's another way to strategize (if you just want cash checks or gift cards and don't care about airline tickets or merchandise)....get the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa Card (with $100 bonus code HG-1) and later add on the Chase Cash Plus Rewards Mastercard (bonus code XYZ for $50 good until Jan 31st...perhaps it will still work after that?...then you have the potential of $150 total bonuses...and if you can't later get the bonus for the mastercard, well you still got the $100).
By doing this, you have 2 seperate accounts in the Cash Plus Rewards Program, so you have effectively doubled your CashBack yearly limit to $600! (using the 2 cards).
Of course, one can also do this by having a Citi Dividend Card and one of the Chase Cash Plus cards...but the advantage this way, is that you get to manage both accounts in one place (bank) rather then deal with 2 seperate places (banks)....
Since i like Cash Back, i did this myself....I had the Cash Plus Rewards Visa and the Reward Plus Mastercard, and i just converted the Mastercard to Cash Plus Rewards...so, now i have 2 "flavors" (MC/Visa) in the same rewards program with the $600 max per year.
Rewards Plus is cool, but i decided i didn't need airline tickets, merchandise, etc...so i think my new strategy works better for me, overall...
By the way, there has been a lot of confusion about whether the Visa card includes "Purchase Protection" because it doesn't show it at Chase's website as including it...but i had a Chase CSR check it in the computer, and indeed the Visa does have this feature...so the features of the Visa and Mastercards are essentially identical....

Joe1690 said: FFGuru,

I still have the world Wildlife Fund Card but have cash plus as an added value program on the card with no extra fees. So my card gives 1% to WWF and 1%/5% to me depending on the category of purchase. This particular card can be converted to a myriad of different cards within the Chase product line. What I found interesting though is after everyone else was saying they couldn't get the rewards plus program on their affinity card I tried to convert just to see if it was available and they told me it was no dice. What is even weirder was that I only had 4 rewards programs available to me (free cash rewards, cash plus, travel plus ($39 annual fee), and Flexible Rewards select ($59 annual fee)). I found this interesting because a lot of the affinity cards chase has come with either flexible rewards or value miles. I was told that apparently the rewards programs available for each card are different and it also depends on the individual cardholder as to what rewards programs are available. Apparently, Chase has changed a lot of things since I got my card and changed to Cash Plus. The representative understood my fustration and told me he would be bringing up my concerns to the higher ups (for what that's worth). He even tried to get me into the rewards plus program through a backdoor but no dice. I will update you if I am successful on changing from Cash Plus.

Did you get any signing bonus adding Cash Plus to your WWF card? I want my $100!

Question about some of the bonus. Do you still get the same bonus when you apply online or do you need an offer code?

lyahmun said: Question about some of the bonus. Do you still get the same bonus when you apply online or do you need an offer code?

Yes, you must call to apply for all of the Chase signing bonuses. Citi varies by card. You'll find specific application instructions in the OP.

I think it's somewhat misleading to say the GM Card has no limit. It's true there is no limit to the amount the card will let you earn but the amount GM will let you use per car is (very) low IMHO e.g. 1,000 for a 2007 Escalade.

FFGuru said: Updated 01/27/06

GAS, SUPERMARKET, DRUG STORES (Everyday Purchases)
9) Citi Dividend Platinum Select
Max of $300 in rewards per year, no signing bonus. The redemption schedule is nice, but still, it is probably not your best card.

Another thing you didn't take into account is the Citi Dividend Merchant Network, which lets you earn a higher rate at certain retaliers, like OfficeMax.com, overstock.com, partsamerica.com ... etc. and not only do you get a higher Cash Back rate from these places but also money earedn while shopping "in network" doesn't count against your $300 yearly limit.

The Citi Dividend Merchant Network
With the Citi Dividend Card, you can earn Cash Back on every purchase you make – no matter where you shop or what you buy.* You’ll earn 5% Cash Back on the things you buy everyday at supermarkets, drugstores, and gas stations, and 1% Cash Back on all your other purchases. Plus, when you use your Citi Dividend Card at participating Citi Dividend Merchant Network merchants, you’ll earn on average, an additional 5% Cash Back in Dividend Dollars on those purchases! The Cash Back you earn shopping with merchants participating in the Citi Dividend Merchant Network, does not count toward your calendar year maximum of $300 Dividend Dollars – so your Cash Back potential is unlimited!

Here's a tip, Citibank retention will often offer 5% on everything if you try to cancel (they won't however lift the $300 cap), also you can close and re-open a card within 12 months. This time I reopened in December, used it a few times, and then call to cancel in January. Sure enough, they patched me through to retentions that offered me 5% on everything, so I use it for all non-grocery, gas, pharmacy purchases!

chuzzlewit said: Here's a tip, Citibank retention will often offer 5% on everything if you try to cancel (they won't however lift the $300 cap), also you can close and re-open a card within 12 months. This time I reopened in December, used it a few times, and then call to cancel in January. Sure enough, they patched me through to retentions that offered me 5% on everything, so I use it for all non-grocery, gas, pharmacy purchases!Which Citi card did you do this on?

jatan1986 said: chuzzlewit said: Here's a tip, Citibank retention will often offer 5% on everything if you try to cancel (they won't however lift the $300 cap), also you can close and re-open a card within 12 months. This time I reopened in December, used it a few times, and then call to cancel in January. Sure enough, they patched me through to retentions that offered me 5% on everything, so I use it for all non-grocery, gas, pharmacy purchases!Which Citi card did you do this on?

AT&T Universal 5/1

EndlessKnight said:

Another thing you didn't take into account is the Citi Dividend Merchant Network, which lets you earn a higher rate at certain retaliers, like OfficeMax.com, overstock.com, partsamerica.com ... etc. and not only do you get a higher Cash Back rate from these places but also money earedn while shopping "in network" doesn't count against your $300 yearly limit.

Yeah, but how much money do you really spend in those places? Unless you buy everything online I hardly think that the higher rate is worth it. What is the rate anyway?

suaveseattle said: EndlessKnight said:

Yeah, but how much money do you really spend in those places? Unless you buy everything online I hardly think that the higher rate is worth it. What is the rate anyway?

Cash is king.

Sorry but cash hasn't been king for a long time, it's always better to use a rewards card than cash (no matter what the reward). With a rewards card you get something (reward) and added protection. Credit cards are only a problem for people with no financial self disapline, which is not a group most FW member fall into.

EndlessKnight said:

Sorry but cash hasn't been king for a long time, it's always better to use a rewards card than cash (no matter what the reward). With a rewards card you get something (reward) and added protection. Credit cards are only a problem for people with no financial self disapline, which is not a group most FW member fall into.

I think SuaveSeattle was referring to cash rewards. He/she was probably saying that cash rewards trump gift cards.

Citi's dividend doesn't give 1 for 1 if you redeem as cash. Only for gift cards.

I'd guess that is why Chase's cards generally get higher ratings in the OP than with Citi's comperable card.

Billiken said:
Citi's dividend doesn't give 1 for 1 if you redeem as cash. Only for gift cards.

Who lied to you? The Citi Divvidend card is a Cash Back card, there's not even a GC option

EndlessKnight said: Billiken said:

The Citi Divvidend card is a Cash Back card, there's not even a GC option

Oops. You are simply limited to the $300 rewards. Card still stinks though.

If you really think you are going to be spending a ton of money on everyday purchases, then you could make your estimated quarterly payment to the IRS on 1/15 using Blue Cash for $6,500, and then start earning your 5% immediately every year. You'll take a hit on the convenience fee (2.49%), but that will be offset by the 0.5% Cash Back, and will be negated after you spend an additional $2600 on everyday purchases. If you spend $200/wk on groceries and $200/mo on gas you will break even on the fee by mid-March even assuming you never used the card for any other type of purchase.

ffguru,

you may want to update your info on #8, i have the att universal cash rewards mc and i do not lose value when redeeming as cash.

Well, I just checked my expiration of points on the thankyou network for my AT&T Universal Rewards card and discovered to my chagrin that the 5000 bonus points they offer are set to expire 5/31/2006 which is a whopping 6 months after being earned and not the 5 years that the terms & conditions state. Therefore, I plan to call Citi tomorrow and have this rectified as none of their literature states that these points will expire in 6 months and the terms and conditions state 5 years. So anyone considering this card, if you don't plan on using the points in 6 months, you may lose them. This is sneaky of citi and one more reason why I like my Chase Cash Plus card and soon will get the chase rewards plus card. They don't play the games that citibank does and there is no devaluation for cash redemptions like at the thankyou network. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is considering this card because of the 5,000 bonus points.

Duplicate

bk2, read the post carefully. I think it is correct as presently stated. Thanks for trying to double-check anyway though.

Joe1690 said: Well, I just checked my expiration of points on the thankyou network for my AT&T Universal Rewards card and discovered to my chagrin that the 5000 bonus points they offer are set to expire 5/31/2006 which is a whopping 6 months after being earned and not the 5 years that the terms & conditions state. Therefore, I plan to call Citi tomorrow and have this rectified as none of their literature states that these points will expire in 6 months and the terms and conditions state 5 years. So anyone considering this card, if you don't plan on using the points in 6 months, you may lose them. This is sneaky of citi and one more reason why I like my Chase Cash Plus card and soon will get the chase rewards plus card. They don't play the games that citibank does and there is no devaluation for cash redemptions like at the thankyou network. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is considering this card because of the 5,000 bonus points.

I wonder if the bonus points expire quicker than the rest of the points? They may fall into a special category since it is a promotion. Double check, but I'll bet that the rest of your points won't expire for 5 years. Let us know what Citi says. Thanks.

ahh..joe1690, i like my Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa better then the Citi Dividend Card (which i had...but just closed) also! I also had a Chase Rewards Plus Mastercard, which i just converted over to the Cash Plus program....This way, between the 2 cards (Visa and Master and both on the same program) I will still have the $600 max cash out per year...
Rewards Plus is pretty good, Joe1690, but it does have a little gimmick with the Cash Outs (checks)...the only level you get the full points value is at $100 (10,000 pts= $100) Sure, they let you cash out at $25 and $50...BUT it costs you extra points (3500 pts gets you $25.....6,000 pts gets you $50)....where as with Cash Plus...it's just the straight 5,000 pts gets you $50 deal.
PS: they do the same thing with certain levels of the gift cards also.....But, overall, I still prefer the Chase over the Citi...and i find the customer service is generally nicer, too

Joe1690 said: Well, I just checked my expiration of points on the thankyou network for my AT&T Universal Rewards card
Can you verify online when your points expire? How?

Go to the thankyou network at www.thankyounetwork.com, then log-in. Once logged in click on view points total which will be on the right side of the screen, then under my statement summary choose a statement date, and once this screen comes it will say points expiring in the next 90 days (X points) and to the right of that it will say view which you click on and you have a summary of when all of your points will expire.

Thanks. I guess it only shows you details about expiration if it's getting close to that date. It doesn't show any expiration date for me yet.

On my account all of my earnings show and the expiration goes out as far as 2011 so I don't think it is just the points in the short term. The 90 day expiration information will clearly only show those that expire in the next 3 months but if you click view it will tell you when they expire. Maybe your points never expire as I believe certain thankyou credit cards offer points that never expire like premierpass.

You're right, I didn't see the "View" link. Looks like bonus points for opening a CC are valid for 5 years too.

In my case, the bonus points are only available for 6 months. Talked to customer service and specifically a supervisor who agreed with me that they should be good for 5 years and then came back and told me that marketing said they were only good for 6 months and they had given me X number of points so I could get a $25 gift card (clearly incorrect information on the amount of the gift card). However, she gave me the mailing address for corporate headquarters to write a letter which I will do as I am pretty pissed about the fact that these bonus points were never indicated to expire in 6 months and the terms and conditions indicate 5 years. Will let you all know what I find out. However, if Citi doesn't make good on their terms and conditions then I plan on closing my account with them because I don't agree with their bait and switch policy and have found their customer service to be less than adequate. I will go back to chase who has always made me a happy customer and is willing to listen to my concerns and do the right thing when necessary.

Shouldn't everyone get the Driver's Edge card? The way I read it, you can just own the card and do nothing with it.. And if you drive 10k miles in a year, you will get 10k points for doing nothing.

Bry said: Shouldn't everyone get the Driver's Edge card? The way I read it, you can just own the card and do nothing with it.. And if you drive 10k miles in a year, you will get 10k points for doing nothing.

Nope. Read it again.

Bry said: Shouldn't everyone get the Driver's Edge card? The way I read it, you can just own the card and do nothing with it.. And if you drive 10k miles in a year, you will get 10k points for doing nothing.
I believe your driving points have to be matched by points earned by spending.

-Mike

phlack said: Bry said: Shouldn't everyone get the Driver's Edge card? The way I read it, you can just own the card and do nothing with it.. And if you drive 10k miles in a year, you will get 10k points for doing nothing.
I believe your driving points have to be matched by points earned by spending.

-Mike

AWWW! I didn't notice that when I applied. It's still pretty good -- if you match your spending with miles, you'll effectively get 12% rebate instead of 6% in the first 12 months and 6% instead of 3% afterwards (gasoline, etc), and 2% instead of 1% (everything else) all the time.

I have Citibank dividend Visa first and when I am about to max out the $300.00 limit, I call Citibank
customer service. She told me to apply for another dividend card. So I did. I later get Citibank dividend
mastercard. I am happy with that since I use them a lot in supermarket, gas and drug store. My limit for both
card is $600 total. Plus I have Chase Case Reward card. I prefer cash over gift cards so this is perfect for me

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 123 4 536
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014