• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi,
The IRS happened to misspell my name by missing one letter of the alphabet on my refund check. Is that something I should worry about or would I be able to cash the check? I tried to call their hotline and I checked out www.irs.gov, but I was not able to get any help.

Thanks for the help.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

please stay on hold.... and the next available irs agent will assist you.

oh no, you can kiss your refund check goodbye

Assuming it actually is your check, either mark it for deposit only and deposit it in your checking account, or write the name the way they spelled it on the endorsement, then sign it right way underneath. Nobody will even look twice at it.

This question really cannot be answered correctly without physically handling the check and the underlying protective printing so as to ensure that the name was not altered.

I happen to have time available later this week to do it for you. Give me a chance to get my MBE box set up tomorrow and I'll pm the address you should send the check to.

Deposit the check, you are fine. Endorse it the way it is spelt first, then endorse your normal signature.

Just endorse it exactly as it appears on the check, then endorse it the correct way. "Deposit Only" would also be a good thing to do.

Easiest thing to do would be just get your name legally changed to match the check

Oh I have heard of this happening.

It turns out the IRS has sent you the wrong check. They did not misspell your name, but rather sent you the check for someone else whose name is a "misspelling" of your name. The check is name is correctly spelled for the other person, just that you have the wrong check. Someone else has your correct check with your correct name on it.

You need to find this person whose name is spelled close to your name(hence your belief that it is msispelled) and swap checks. This other person also believes he has a misspelled check.

The government requires you to find this other person and exchange checks.

jyear416 said: [Q]Hi,
The IRS happened to misspell my name by missing one letter of the alphabet on my refund check.
Should be okay since it is "one letter of the alphabet" you would only have a problem if it were one of those other kinds of letters

Ignore everybody telling you to sign it twice...your signature doesn't have to be legible...just sign it and deposit it. Nobody looks to make sure signatures match names...

dk240t said: [Q]Ignore everybody telling you to sign it twice...your signature doesn't have to be legible...just sign it and deposit it. Nobody looks to make sure signatures match names...

Most times they dont even look to see that the name on the front even resembles the name on the account. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border=0>

Especially in business accounts.




I have deposited a couple of rebate cheques like this and there should not be a problem. Try and go to the bank and do it yourself at the counter. If they have any issues, they will let you know right away.

Good luck.

unknownshopper said: [Q]Give me a chance to get my MBE box set up tomorrow and I'll pm the address you should send the check to.

When you get the check for $2.73, will you feel good about it?

jyear416 said: [Q]Hi,
The IRS happened to misspell my name by missing one letter of the alphabet on my refund check. Is that something I should worry about or would I be able to cash the check? I tried to call their hotline and I checked out www.irs.gov, but I was not able to get any help.

Thanks for the help.

No comment...

itsausername said: [Q]unknownshopper said: [Q]Give me a chance to get my MBE box set up tomorrow and I'll pm the address you should send the check to.

When you get the check for $2.73, will you feel good about it?

Hmmm. Feel good? From an ethical perspective, yes. WWVD* I always say.

But if the check were that small, I'd have to report OP to the BBB and go to small claims court.



* "What Would Vesco Do?"

endorse it with your correct name and deposit only, you will be fine. Nobody will ever check it.

I hope the letter misspelled is not first letter of your name.

Hey my refund check is missing from my mailbox.

Hey, aren't you my neighbor???

You SOB!!! You better run.... I'm coming over there right now!

jensenjp said: [Q]Oh I have heard of this happening.

It turns out the IRS has sent you the wrong check. They did not misspell your name, but rather sent you the check for someone else whose name is a "misspelling" of your name. The check is name is correctly spelled for the other person, just that you have the wrong check. Someone else has your correct check with your correct name on it.

You need to find this person whose name is spelled close to your name(hence your belief that it is msispelled) and swap checks. This other person also believes he has a misspelled check.

The government requires you to find this other person and exchange checks.

This thread is killing me. I'm in tears!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014