Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

The "Official" Starwood AmEx Card Thread.... Points OR miles

17 of 49
josecuervo
9/21/06 4:15 PM
prator said:

I went to go check what Gold Preferred Status meant, and I found this link.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/starwoodguest.jsp

This makes it sound like you can get Gold Preferred Status by just calling in.

I believe that is only for AMEX Platinum card holders, not starwood card holders.
josecuervo
9/21/06 4:34 PM
wooben said:

$30k spending/year on the card gets you Gold Preferred Status now. This is good, and is a long time coming. Now if only they'd add a spending tier that provided Plat (though I'm sure the Plats would complain about dilution of status).

That is excellent news. I wonder when it becomes effective. I am well over 30k spent already in 2006.

My bill says it will be effective sometime around March 07 for calender year 06 spending, and 12-16 weeks after u hit 30k anytime after that.
loganj
9/21/06 8:12 PM
dewolfxy said:

citygirl212 said:

Can anybody share, from their experience, the process for redeeming points for mileage? I haven't seen this mentioned before, but how long exactly did it take for your points to transfer? I've read that it takes a long time, but haven't seen anyone mention it in detail. Was this process pretty simple or a pain? Thanks

Delta - instant (< 5 min)
Continental - a few days, not sure exactly how long. Less than a week, I believe.

Confirm on Continental---just transfered miles from SPG to Continental and it was done in less than a week.
cola262
9/26/06 12:11 PM
A bunch of you I know are fans of this card. Can you tell me if it's better than the
mastercard version?

* Earn 1 Starpoint for every $2 spent on all your eligible purchases.
* Activation Bonus†† — 5,000 Starpoints® after your first purchase on the card.
* Starwood Hotel Stay Bonus†† — 5,000 Starpoints the first time you charge a stay at any Starwood hotel or resort to your Starwood Preferred Guest MasterCard.
* Annual Bonuses†† — 5,000 Starpoints for every $10,000 you spend (up to 15,000 Starpoints each year).
* No annual fee.
* A credit line of up to $100,000.
* Around-the-clock customer service and more!

The no anual fee thing sounds nice.
xpguy
9/26/06 12:24 PM
You know the mastercard version is a Canadian product right?
cola262
9/26/06 12:45 PM
oh, didn't know that. Also, the grace period for the AMEX card is 20 days. Does that mean I would need to pay before the "Due date" to get no interest? So I need to pay my bill more than once a month?
I currently have "clear" and the grace period is 30-31 days depending on the month, so I am confused.
Beckles
9/26/06 2:09 PM
cola262 said:

oh, didn't know that. Also, the grace period for the AMEX card is 20 days. Does that mean I would need to pay before the "Due date" to get no interest? So I need to pay my bill more than once a month?
I currently have "clear" and the grace period is 30-31 days depending on the month, so I am confused.

Grace period is from the billing date.
paytonc
9/27/06 2:42 AM
Some notes:
1. Redemption options - if it's available, Cash & Points can be a good option for scoring very cheap stays (especially off-season or suburban locations). For the cash portion of the stay, you'll earn Starpoints from AMEX, but not from Starwood; e.g., two instead of four Starpoints per dollar.

Also, no blackout days! If there's a room available, you can take it with points.

Keep in mind that Starwood (in the USA, principally Westin and Sheraton flags) currently has no budget properties and is very thin on the ground outside of major cities. They are opening new hotels very quickly, including launching three new brands: Aloft, Element, and a to-be-named midrange flag.

2. Targeted offers - sorry, almost all SPG credit card offers are targeted. However, check the Hotel Offers online frequently, as bonus Starpoints are often available there.

3. Value of points - if you value air miles at 1c, then a Starpoint is 1.25c. However, I aim for my Starpoint hotel stays to price out at 3-4c per Starpoint -- not bad for a general use card.
duna
9/27/06 11:11 AM
Super helpful OP and great responses and info! Than you all.
catonis
10/4/06 6:26 PM
I'd like to notify people that another thread has a new sign up bonus of 10K points.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/658516/
17 of 49
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.