• 16 7 891013
  • Page
  • Text Only
I was taking a look into the SPG airlines conversion, and saw that there is a 1:2 (SPG:Airlines) conversion rate for LAN LANPASS 'miles' (actually they're kilometers). Considering that 1 mile = 1.61km, isn't this a better deal than converting to any other airline program? I also saw that LAN LANPASS is a OneWorld member, so you can use any OneWorld airline to travel internationally via this program. The only problem I see with this is that it'd be very difficult to rack up LAN LANPASS miles through any other way, since their flights I'm assuming are pretty limited in the States.

Thus, couldn't this potentially be a better conversion rate for SPG points if you don't fly much, but would like to fly for free when you do?

JusRelax said: ... couldn't this potentially be a better conversion rate for SPG points if you don't fly much, but would like to fly for free when you do?

I would like to know this as well.

I was also reading about the SPG Mastercard - apparently it is for canadian residents only, but if one could obtain one in the US somehow (Canadian address? help?!), it looks as though you could earn points a LOT faster because:
1. 5,000 point bonus for every 10,000 points earned (up to 25k points, wow!)
2. MAstercard is accepted far more places than AMEX
Drawback: 1 point for every $2 spent, but that's not too bad with the bonuses and the exchange rate. Is it potentially better than the SPG AMEX?

b8b said: I would like to know this as well.

I was also reading about the SPG Mastercard - apparently it is for canadian residents only, but if one could obtain one in the US somehow (Canadian address? help?!), it looks as though you could earn points a LOT faster because:

Wouldn't that be equivalent to the SPG AMEX then?

With the SPG Mastercard, SPG gives you 5K bonus when you earn 10K points. BUT earning is 1 point per $2. Which means you'd get a 5K bonus for each $20,000 in spending on the card.

The SPG AMEX also gives a 5K bonus when you transfer 20K SPG points into airline miles. Earning is 1 point per $1 on this card, so again, it would require the same $20,000 in spending to get the 5K bonus.

b8b said: JusRelax said: ... couldn't this potentially be a better conversion rate for SPG points if you don't fly much, but would like to fly for free when you do?

I would like to know this as well.

2. MAstercard is accepted far more places than AMEX
Drawback: 1 point for every $2 spent, but that's not too bad with the bonuses and the exchange rate. Is it potentially better than the SPG AMEX?

This wouldnt work for non-Canadians. Just like in USA, people without a SSN will constantly get rejected for credit cards (and even bank accounts), Americans or other non-Canadians with no Canadian credit history would not be able to get a credit card in Canada. There is no competition from the banks in Canada as there are only 5 big players and a few smaller guys out there. The promotions simply are not as abundant as they are in USA, so if you are looking for the free initial 5000 points and you have no Canadian-ness to you, then it isnt worth it.

I have looked into double dipping on the free upfront promo miles available in Canada, and they simply dont make sense to apply for like they do in Canada. For example, almost all airline cards may come with 5000 upfront miles or 10 000 upfront miles, but they all have an annual fee of $120 that you cant waive. If you were to consider just "buying" the promo miles, the costs are usually in the range of $0.02/mile or so. In general the deals just arent there in Canada. SPG is the exception with the upfront points on a no-fee card in Canada.

Lefty421 said:
Wouldn't that be equivalent to the SPG AMEX then?

It would indeed. There are some places where AMEX is not accepted

CTURajan said: ...If you were to consider just "buying" the promo miles, the costs are usually in the range of $0.02/mile or so. In general the deals just arent there in Canada. SPG is the exception with the upfront points on a no-fee card in Canada.

Very interesting. I didn't know... Thanks for the insight!

I just got my first statement for this card, and I earned Starpoints... the confusing part is that I don't have a SPG account, as far as I know. How does that work?

AMEX will open up an account for you and you will receive the SPG card with the account number within a few weeks.

Thanks much.

Also, keep in mind that Starwood points can actually be transfered into an unrelated account without a fee. Therefore, even if you don't have use for hotel or airline points, you can probably trade for something else (like gift cards, etc) in return for your points. Furthermore, by trading on FlyerTalk, you can get a far better ratio of miles:SPG than what Starwood offers.

DoctorJ said: Also, keep in mind that Starwood points can actually be transfered into an unrelated account without a fee. Therefore, even if you don't have use for hotel or airline points, you can probably trade for something else (like gift cards, etc) in return for your points. Furthermore, by trading on FlyerTalk, you can get a far better ratio of miles:SPG than what Starwood offers.

DoctorJ, please explain further... do you mean that you can put your points in someone else's account? Can you transfer points out of your SPG account into another's? I understood that you could only do that for immediate family members.

You can redeem points for gift cards and sell them on eBay, but using the points is usually a better value.

b8b said: DoctorJ, please explain further... do you mean that you can put your points in someone else's account? Can you transfer points out of your SPG account into another's? I understood that you could only do that for immediate family members.

That is correct -- you can transfer points from one account to another. Your "immediate family member" must share your address, not your last name. Addresses can be easily changed online.

No need to redeem for gift cards as previous poster suggested -- this is a horrible way to use your points. You will get a much better return if you find someone willing to give you a gift card or even cash in exchange for your points. Of course, using your points for hotel rooms is the best value, but I'm just throwing out suggestions for people who don't know what to do with their points.

thanks for sharing the easy transfer gem. redeeming for starwood hotel stays if you do get to travel out of the country is an excellent way to use the points.

I'll be using the cash and starpoints option on level 4 hotels on holiday (the Westin beijing, westing guam among others) - these rooms are usually $200/night rooms for which i'll pay half retail for 5 nights. if you're staying for more than a night, going the cash and points way will maximize your discount - sometimes, you have to fork cash out of your pocket to get a real bargain.

DoctorJ said: b8b said: DoctorJ, please explain further... do you mean that you can put your points in someone else's account? Can you transfer points out of your SPG account into another's? I understood that you could only do that for immediate family members.

That is correct -- you can transfer points from one account to another. Your "immediate family member" must share your address, not your last name. Addresses can be easily changed online.

No need to redeem for gift cards as previous poster suggested -- this is a horrible way to use your points. You will get a much better return if you find someone willing to give you a gift card or even cash in exchange for your points. Of course, using your points for hotel rooms is the best value, but I'm just throwing out suggestions for people who don't know what to do with their points.

Just in for one. Need to use this card to pay off my loans to earn a vacation! Do they have a preset limit?

Doraemon79 said: Just in for one. Need to use this card to pay off my loans to earn a vacation! Do they have a preset limit?

Yes there is a preset limit, but lately A/E has been very generous with CLIs. However, you should probably try to exercise some restraint with that. Also note that you don't get *points for balance transfers (ie. paying off your loan).

really? is that consider a balance transfer? I mean i just charge to my credit card? is there a way for me to do it? (its not auto loan, its like...school educational loan)? Thanks for the tip.

If i don't get points for Balance transfers. what will be the good credit card for me to get something back?

Doraemon79 said: really? is that consider a balance transfer? I mean i just charge to my credit card? is there a way for me to do it? (its not auto loan, its like...school educational loan)? Thanks for the tip.

If i don't get points for Balance transfers. what will be the good credit card for me to get something back?

Ok sorry, misunderstood. IF you can make your school loan payments by credit card, then you would get *pts for that.

And I don't know of any card that gives you "reward pts" for balance transfers. That would be just too easy to abuse to rack up reward pts.

Actually, sometimes Citi has like a $5 reward promotion (Dividend card) per balance transfer.

Last time I called they said I can make payments by credit card (there will be a convinence charge) but since the loan amount is huge, i will be benefited by using this card. I hope this is not balance transfer, Should I call credit card company or the loaner for the info? THanks for the tip man, this really helped me

Actually, sometimes Citi has like a $5 reward promotion (Dividend card) per balance transfer.

I think it's a standard feature on the Citi Dividend card. I got one by accident earlier this month. I did the BT and when the statement closed there was Citibank, smiling, saying 'here, have $5, you deserve it'. Citibank is probably my favorite for profit company of all time!!

Disclaimer - I am about to ask a stupid question, and yes, I'm a senior member who should know better. So if you are inclined to respond to stupid questions by senior members by hurling insults or clicking that big red minus sign... move on now

OK now that that's out of the way! I have a SPG AMEX that I've had for a while, but have not used it much. I have another AMEX that costs more but earns more, and I figure I'll use that for the rest of the year while I have paid for it already.

My question is this - I have never figured out how to monitor my SPG membership points! Seems kind of important, but I can't find a web site where it tells me how many I have earned and how to use them etc. Can someone point me to this? I have also read what literature they sent, and I can't find the info in there either.

Thanks!

when you sign up for the card...did you register ur SPG numbers ? If not they will assign you one and that u have to call them to find out and find out the password then you can go from there i believe...hope this helps.

Also...I want to ask a dumb questions too...how can i search the keywords within the thread? what is the hard key for that? sorry - not very computer literated.

Doraemon79 said: Also...I want to ask a dumb questions too...how can i search the keywords within the thread? what is the hard key for that? sorry - not very computer literated.Click the text only link on the top or on the bottom of the thread - it will open up a window with the whole thread displayed. Then click Ctrl-F and search for your keyword.

cameronj said: My question is this - I have never figured out how to monitor my SPG membership points! Seems kind of important, but I can't find a web site where it tells me how many I have earned and how to use them etc. Can someone point me to this? I have also read what literature they sent, and I can't find the info in there either.

SPG click sign in on the top and it will give you options to create username/pwd if you don't have it yet, or to lookup lost password. If all else fails - call SPG customer service at 888-625-4988.

jairocon said: cameronj said: My question is this - I have never figured out how to monitor my SPG membership points! Seems kind of important, but I can't find a web site where it tells me how many I have earned and how to use them etc. Can someone point me to this? I have also read what literature they sent, and I can't find the info in there either.

SPG click sign in on the top and it will give you options to create username/pwd if you don't have it yet, or to lookup lost password. If all else fails - call SPG customer service at 888-625-4988.

I've created an account already, but signing in tells me I have zero starpoints. I dont have many, but I should have at least a thousand or so, if it's 1 per $.

If anybody hears verification of a double starpoints promo for this year's tax payments, please post it here.

The offer appeared for a while on Official Payments and then disappeared. Some AMEX reps say it's in place this year, some deny it.

In prior years the press release didn't come out until March. I'm hoping that they will repeat it this year.

LaJollaInvestor said: If anybody hears verification of a double starpoints promo for this year's tax payments, please post it here.

They sure are.

Earn DOUBLE Starpoints by paying your personal federal taxes with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.

Be aware that you can only pay a max of $5000 in taxes this way, and that there is a 2.49% fee for doing so. BUT, its still a great deal since you can pocket 10,000 *wood points for a mere $125 fee (assuming $5K in taxes).

Enjoy!

(sorry double post)

The link posted by Lefty421 is for last year. There is a discussion on flyertalk SPG forum, and people have received conflicting responses from AMEX.

DoctorJ said: Furthermore, by trading on FlyerTalk, you can get a far better ratio of miles:SPG than what Starwood offers.

Stooopid question: Where (URL?)and how do you trade SPG points on Flyertalk (or anywhere else)?

B

I've got a business trip coming up and have my fingers crossed that my manager will give the green light to stay at the four points I have my eyes on.

Reason being, if we do stay there, I will earn 8,000 points for staying 8+ nights, + (and someone correct me if I am wrong) 2pts/$ spent on the hotel + 1 point per dollar when paying for my hotel w/ my Starwood AMEX. That's 3 points per dollar.

With my current points, this will push me high enough for a free domestic flight.

Let's see what happens, I'm a nervous wreck!

How are you earning 8,000 points by staying 8 nights? My boss didn't approve me staying here @ the W, but I am here
If he don't like it, he can fire me so I can make more elsewhere

Does anyone know if you can get a second 10K bonus for the business card if you already have the personal card?

devildoc said: Does anyone know if you can get a second 10K bonus for the business card if you already have the personal card?
Yes, you can.

jiffy said: I've got a business trip coming up and have my fingers crossed that my manager will give the green light to stay at the four points I have my eyes on.

Reason being, if we do stay there, I will earn 8,000 points for staying 8+ nights, + (and someone correct me if I am wrong) 2pts/$ spent on the hotel + 1 point per dollar when paying for my hotel w/ my Starwood AMEX. That's 3 points per dollar.

With my current points, this will push me high enough for a free domestic flight.

Let's see what happens, I'm a nervous wreck!

Make sure you sign up for the current quarterly bonus offer.

https://www.spgpromos.com/quarterly/index.cfm?EM=VTY_SPG_promo

Then there are a whole bunch of stay 1/2/3 regional offers in some places and 2x or 3x starpoint offers elsewhere. Search the SPG forum at flyertalk for more details. (and search the spg site for promos too)

GradStudent said: FFGuru said: Europe.....C....Cathay.....50,000..Book on British using Cathay Miles (parners)
Are you sure they don't require 60,000 miles?

Yes, I am trying to figure out how to benefit from this difference as well, how does one get a flight to Europe from the USA on BA for 50,000 Cathay miles? Is it only from certain airports? I've never had to ask, so I think it's ok that I ask now: help?

I called to cancel the card today, said it's because of the annual fee, CSR offered me a $20 credit.

I used to have the AMEX Starwood Personal card and cancelled it 15 months ago. Can I apply again and get the 25K bonus points (10K + 15K with corresponding purchase).

Does anybody have experience with repeating this card for multiple bonuses.

UncleSam said: I used to have the AMEX Starwood Personal card and cancelled it 15 months ago. Can I apply again and get the 25K bonus points (10K + 15K with corresponding purchase).

AMEX Starwood card's T&C states that you can have multiple AMEX Starwood cards, but the bonus will only be awarded to first time AMEX Starwood customers.

Although this does not prohibit you from applying for the Bus version to get 10K points.

FruityElf said: UncleSam said: I used to have the AMEX Starwood Personal card and cancelled it 15 months ago. Can I apply again and get the 25K bonus points (10K + 15K with corresponding purchase).

AMEX Starwood card's T&C states that you can have multiple AMEX Starwood cards, but the bonus will only be awarded to first time AMEX Starwood customers.

Although this does not prohibit you from applying for the Bus version to get 10K points.

That's true but unfortunately the business version does not have the additional 15K bonus points.

So if I get this card I can redeem $1 for 1.25 miles. I'm planning a trip on Alasjka Air, and their price for each mile you buy is 2.5 cents. That makes the starwood option worth about 3.125% return on the dollar. My Fidelity 529 card gets me 2% and I have a Chase 5% card for groceries and such. 3.125% is better than 2%, but there is an annual fee.

In my situation, I think it is worth getting to get the bonus points and transfer them to Alaska. But I am not sold on using it for purchases just yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014