• Text Only
Looks like they raised the annual fee for Starwood Card to $45....sucks.

Addendum: but the Business Starwood card is still $30...I think it's time to switch.

Has anyone had recent success getting 2500 points using the link below (the one listed in the quick summary on the first page) to add an authorized user? If so, how long did it take the points to post?

https://www201.AmericanExpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=6/16721/s/110 Text

TIA

cameron2003 said: So if I get this card I can redeem $1 for 1.25 miles. I'm planning a trip on Alasjka Air, and their price for each mile you buy is 2.5 cents. That makes the starwood option worth about 3.125% return on the dollar. My Fidelity 529 card gets me 2% and I have a Chase 5% card for groceries and such. 3.125% is better than 2%, but there is an annual fee.

In my situation, I think it is worth getting to get the bonus points and transfer them to Alaska. But I am not sold on using it for purchases just yet.

You'll fall in love with AMEX once you have a chargeback situation on your hands with a retailer. AMEX has your back.

isles1 said: Has anyone had recent success getting 2500 points using the link below (the one listed in the quick summary on the first page) to add an authorized user? If so, how long did it take the points to post?

TIA
Anyone?

isles1 said: isles1 said: Has anyone had recent success getting 2500 points using the link below (the one listed in the quick summary on the first page) to add an authorized user? If so, how long did it take the points to post?

TIA
Anyone?

no, that promo is long way gone now

SleekWallet said: isles1 said: isles1 said: Has anyone had recent success getting 2500 points using the link below (the one listed in the quick summary on the first page) to add an authorized user? If so, how long did it take the points to post?

TIA
Anyone?

no, that promo is long way gone now
Thanks for the info.

The Cathay example in the original post is about to be out-of-date. You will no longer be able to get that business award on BA for only 60,000 CX miles. The price is going up next month.

Just call AMEX for switch? Can AMEX consolidate two card and then I apply a new starwood biz later?

somdave2005 said: Looks like they raised the annual fee for Starwood Card to $45....sucks.

Addendum: but the Business Starwood card is still $30...I think it's time to switch.

clarksonu said: Just call AMEX for switch? Can AMEX consolidate two card and then I apply a new starwood biz later?

somdave2005 said: Looks like they raised the annual fee for Starwood Card to $45....sucks.

Clarksonu, unfortunately they're going to raise the annual fee for the Business card too... in November. So you might as well just keep the personal Starwood card.

I just received the card member agreement update... but it doesn't seem to include a change in the annual fee.

It seems that different people are getting this change at different times. Perhaps I just haven't gotten that update yet.

Anybody else?

sechs said: I just received the card member agreement update... but it doesn't seem to include a change in the annual fee.

It seems that different people are getting this change at different times. Perhaps I just haven't gotten that update yet.

Anybody else?

I'm in the same boat -- received T&C change letter, but it did not mention increase in the annual fee ... but a few days later I received a statement and with it were included some other changes to T&C which did list $45 fee effective Nov'07. Have the card (only) since Feb'07

FruityElf said: UncleSam said: I used to have the AMEX Starwood Personal card and cancelled it 15 months ago. Can I apply again and get the 25K bonus points (10K + 15K with corresponding purchase).

Does anybody have experience with repeating this card for multiple bonuses.

AMEX Starwood card's T&C states that you can have multiple AMEX Starwood cards, but the bonus will only be awarded to first time AMEX Starwood customers.

Although this does not prohibit you from applying for the Bus version to get 10K points.

As an additional data point, I already have the personal SPG card and received the 10K bonus points upon applying.

In addition, I had a business platinum rewards card and recently converted it into a business SPG card. I made a quick purchase on that card about a month ago, and lo and behold, a month later, I received an additional 10K bonus points.

wow thats amazing.

i am wondering if you can convert SPG to another card, and after say a year convert it back to SPG to receive the 10K bonus.

BankofGreed said:
As an additional data point, I already have the personal SPG card and received the 10K bonus points upon applying.

In addition, I had a business platinum rewards card and recently converted it into a business SPG card. I made a quick purchase on that card about a month ago, and lo and behold, a month later, I received an additional 10K bonus points.

Once you get the new SPG AMEX you will not be able to churn for a new bonus. If someone had the old silver SPG AMEX before the enhancements last year, they would most likely get a new bonus as AMEX considers it a new card.

When I go to starwoods website to transfer points, how come continental is 2 for 1 points? I thought the front page of this post is 1 to 1? Thanks

Porsche576 said: When I go to starwoods website to transfer points, how come continental is 2 for 1 points? I thought the front page of this post is 1 to 1? Thanks

It changed relatively recently.... as did a number of other redemption rates.

cyberkost said: I'm in the same boat -- received T&C change letter, but it did not mention increase in the annual fee ... but a few days later I received a statement and with it were included some other changes to T&C which did list $45 fee effective Nov'07. Have the card (only) since Feb'07

Just viewed my latest statement, and the change is in there.

However, my anniversary date is at the end of October, so I should dodge the change for a year....

So, I have a quick SPG question that somebody here might have an answer for. I am looking at redemption options, deciding what to do with my SPG AMEX bonus points, and I see a Westin at Home "Points Card" that appears to be AMEX branded. The description states that the card can be used at the Westin online store, but gives no indication if it can be used any place AMEX is accepted. Does anybody here know if this Westin "Points" card can actually be used as an AMEX at stores other then the Westin online store?

They (personal and business) are both $45 now.

Anyone had any luck getting "grandfathered" to that $30 rate? Or are you planning on getting a new replacement every year?

Same question here, should we open and close the account each year?

Mitch007 said: They (personal and business) are both $45 now.

Anyone had any luck getting "grandfathered" to that $30 rate? Or are you planning on getting a new replacement every year?

how many points will you now need to get a roundtrip on business class to Europe on Cathay?

uclastallion said: how many points will you now need to get a roundtrip on business class to Europe on Cathay?
Really depends on your origin/destination.
Use this cathay miles calculator

to find out the exact # of miles needed!

LA to London is 120000 miles on business class now through Cathay!! That's no deal at all...

Has anyone been successful in getting them to waive the fee for year 2 or reduce it back to $30? I recall people were able to waive the $30 successfully last year. I called and tried but no go. I might call back and try again.

uclastallion said: LA to London is 120000 miles on business class now through Cathay!! That's no deal at all...
Or you could take AA which requires 90k miles for Biz class(AASaver offpeak)
AA redemption chart
or you could take BA which requires 100k miles for Biz class BA redemption chart

jiffy said: Has anyone been successful in getting them to waive the fee for year 2 or reduce it back to $30? I recall people were able to waive the $30 successfully last year. I called and tried but no go. I might call back and try again.

I called when I heard the annual fee was going up. I was told by the CSR to call back when billed at renewal -- my spending on the card (daily spender) was high enough that they should waive it if I kepy up at the same level. He seemed to indicate that there was some tiered structure as to your spending and "rating". My impression was that waiving the fee was much more likely the more you actually use the card.

I called to cancel my g/f's card today - as her 1 yr card anniversary is tomorrow. The CSR offered 1k starwood points to keep the card active - at which I laughed. The CSR was quite puzzled and I explained that a free night takes at least 3-4k pts at which he said he's not going to give us a free night. Since I did call with the intention of really canceling - I have proceeded to convert the card to blue cash.

So - just wanted to throw it out there - that you could possibly score at least 1k *wood points from retentions.

Folks at Flyertalk have reported getting offers of 2k pretty easily and 3k rarely.

If the avoided fee is $35, the 2k offer is pretty good; if it's $45, it's so-so, but still cheaper than if you bought the points outright.

Sackajacka said: jiffy said: Has anyone been successful in getting them to waive the fee for year 2 or reduce it back to $30? I recall people were able to waive the $30 successfully last year. I called and tried but no go. I might call back and try again.

I called when I heard the annual fee was going up. I was told by the CSR to call back when billed at renewal -- my spending on the card (daily spender) was high enough that they should waive it if I kepy up at the same level. He seemed to indicate that there was some tiered structure as to your spending and "rating". My impression was that waiving the fee was much more likely the more you actually use the card.

I called today regarding the increase in card fees, but the CSR didn't offer anything.
When I said I would just cancel the card, she said I should look at other AMEX cards then.

I spent over 50k on the card this year.
What sort of threshold do you have to spend to get the fee deductions?

Instead of cancelling, I wonder if its possible to convert to another card - say Delta or Hilton, and earning the account opening bonus usually associated with new accounts.

I was able to convert a platinum Cash Back biz card to an spg biz card, and I earned the 10,000 spg account opening bonus points after my first purchase.

krazieman said: Sackajacka said: jiffy said: Has anyone been successful in getting them to waive the fee for year 2 or reduce it back to $30? I recall people were able to waive the $30 successfully last year. I called and tried but no go. I might call back and try again.

I called today regarding the increase in card fees, but the CSR didn't offer anything.
When I said I would just cancel the card, she said I should look at other AMEX cards then.

I spent over 50k on the card this year.
What sort of threshold do you have to spend to get the fee deductions?

I don't know exactly. I spend ~$1000 to $2,000 per month or so. I'd call back and try again with another CSR. Did you specifically ask for a waiver of the fee?

Starwood is running the friends and family promotion again. Got postcards in the mail that include a unique code. If you get your friends or family to apply using the unique code, they get the normal 10k bonus points and you get 5k bonus points for referral. If anyone is thinking of applying for SPG cards, we should set up a FW referral club (similar to the Chase checking bonus referral thread). Be on the lookout in your mailboxes, promotion ends 2/29/08.

jlgrandam said: Starwood is running the friends and family promotion again. Got postcards in the mail that include a unique code. If you get your friends or family to apply using the unique code, they get the normal 10k bonus points and you get 5k bonus points for referral. If anyone is thinking of applying for SPG cards, we should set up a FW referral club (similar to the Chase checking bonus referral thread). Be on the lookout in your mailboxes, promotion ends 2/29/08.

That would be nice, but why would I apply for it with a referral from a stranger and get 10K points, while I can apply for it here and get 10K points + $30. Is a stranger going to send me a check for $30?.. It really is a family and (to a lesser extent) friends deal as 15K points > 10K points + $30 .. but, of course, only under assumption that one does not care too much who gets the points in the family / friends.

jlgrandam said: Starwood is running the friends and family promotion again. Got postcards in the mail that include a unique code. If you get your friends or family to apply using the unique code, they get the normal 10k bonus points and you get 5k bonus points for referral. If anyone is thinking of applying for SPG cards, we should set up a FW referral club (similar to the Chase checking bonus referral thread). Be on the lookout in your mailboxes, promotion ends 2/29/08.

I got a friends and family mailer for my Hilton HHonors AMEX as well.

Ok, my SPG anniversary is approaching ... for definitiveness, let's say it's on Feb 10, 2008. I'm thinking of calling in sometime during the 2nd half of January and have this card converted into HHonors card. The thing is that I have 7.5K deferred points (from a promo when one gets 1.5K points for each single transaction of $1500+) -- these should post 6-8 weeks after Dec 31, 2007. Any experience as to getting the promo points after the card has been converted (T&C say "To receive bonus Starpoints, your Card account must be open and in good standing" ... but I don't close the account, do I? even the card number stays the same (or so I think))

I applied for the AMEX starwood business card and was denied. the obvious reason was my AOR just 3 months ago. my question is, once I'm finished with this round of AOR BT money and clean up my credit scores .. can I apply for a starwood card and get the bonus promo since i was denied this time?

I had just called to cancel my card and was offered a $10 credit to offset the annual fee, but I declined. Converted the card to Hilton HHonor.

For those of you that cancelled this card, you still retain the SPG points that you accumulated on the card, correct?

DelCheapo said: For those of you that cancelled this card, you still retain the SPG points that you accumulated on the card, correct?

You keep your points, but be aware they are supposed to expire after 12 months of inactivity.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/CreditCardSmarts/The15MostRewardingCreditCards.aspx

#1 rewards card

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014