• Text Only
sechs said: RJG said: If some people start redeeming for this award, it means fewer Starpoints are out there for hotel redemptions. So availability could improve (in theory).
In theory that's good, but, in reality, I've never run into a problem with not getting a hotel when I wanted it.
In retrospect, that's true. However, remember Starwood increased award prices already which could have increased award supply.

I'm just thinking the total number of Starpoints held by members could be reduced. That means less demand for rooms and less pressure to raise rates again. Less "currency" = less "inflation."

Devaluation is inevitable in a loyalty points program. Based on the redemption rates that this offers, I don't see it making a major dent in that.

Survey on the new flight redemption option. Easy 250 points
https://survey.opinionlab.com/survey/s?s=2262

I am still debating this Starwood Card vs. Blue Cash card.

1) If I spend about $15,000 in one year on my Blue Cash Card (on regular category purchases), I earn about $160 Cash Back credited to my account at the end of the year.

2) If I spend $15,000 on a Starwood card (on regular category purchases, not for Starwood hotel stays with the bonus multiplier), what can I earn in return? What is difficult is that I don't have any travel plans in mind right now, but I will consider making some if I can earn some good value from the points. What can $15,000 spending earn me in terms of flights or hotels (just a ballpark if possible). Is it much more than $160 cash could buy me? Could someone offer some redemption examples for 15,000 points? Thanks!

P.S. I am also considering the 10,000 bonus points for signing up, and also the $45 annual fee with Starwood.

Thanks!

I recently booked a trip through SE Asia and got 16 free nights at beach front Starwood properties for 78K starpoints. The online price of the rooms amounted to over $4500 meaning I got about 5.8 cents/starpoint or about 6% back on all my purchases. I find that you can get really good deals at starwood properties OUTSIDE of the US and Europe. The redemtion values in the US and Europe are mostly all too high imo.

premier - Here's an example hotel. You can pay 12,000 Starpoints for 1 night at Le Méridien Etoile in Paris. Or you can pay 189 Euros ($265US) plus 5.5% tax. Just try searching for a hotel you might want on the starwood site. Then click the points option to compare the cost in points to cash.

If you want airline miles, you pay 20,000 Starpoints for 25,000 miles which gets you a domestic plane ticket.

Some better values are the "Nights and Flights" or "Cash and Points" options. Nights and Flights costs a lot of points, but you get more bang for your points.

Try reading through some of the options on this SPG page:

www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/redeem/index.html

I have this card and like it. The bad thing is that I can only get 1 UA miles for every two points.

25,000 points can get me a flight anywhere in the US? I thought redemption was calculated by miles or distance (or price)?

PReMieR said: 25,000 points can get me a flight anywhere in the US? I thought redemption was calculated by miles or distance (or price)?Most airline programs get you anywhere in the continental US with 25,000 miles. The trick is booking far enough in advance that you get the flight and dates you want.

(There are a few oddball international awards that are based on distance traveled but that is not the typical award.)

New promo is up. Many choices to earn bonuses by staying nights in SPG hotels

https://www.spgpromos.com/choose/index.cfm?EM=VTY_SPG_CHOOSE_PROMOTION

When do they announce the yearly Hotel Property re-Categorizations that are coming up ?

I recall March but don't know for sure.

I think the cathay pacific to europe in C is gone so of the programs where miles are transferable whats the best deal for a business class seat to either asia or Europe

AMEX just gave me a $25 "loyalty credit" to persuade me to keep the card open. I got the card six months ago for the bonus and have never used it. I called to close it, but the CSR really didn't want me to to.

You should use it. Unless you don't travel at all.

For what it's worth:
AMEX Credit Bureau rep tells me that it reports the prior months' activity to the three credit bureaus on the 16th of each month.

The above info may be useless to most and useful to some

Get 1000 bonus points for adding additional user:
Bonus points

Has anyone had any experience good or bad double dipping on the 10000 points promo Starwood card or Starwood biz card? Wife and i have just cancelled our first round of cards and looking to apply again but noticed that the terms say only 1 promo per person.

If you had the old platinum-colored card from years ago, you can get the bonus again for the red-colored card. Otherwise, no go.

I was under the impression that it was possible to obtain a new card (spg in this case) without a hard hit on your credit report by moving some of your limit on another AMEX credit card to the new card you are applying for but the csr told me that was not case? She also told me you could not transfer MR points to SPG points and she was wrong about that. Does anyone know if its possible to move credit limits from card to card? Example, I have a 20K limit on my blue AMEX, why couldn't I get an spg card and move 10k to that card and have two cards with a 10k limit? Why would they have to pull my credit report again? I'm not applying for additional credit really...

AFAIK, AMEX has recently stopped allowing CL to be moved around b/t cards. So it is highly unlikely you can apply for a new card and simultaneously move part of an existing CL to it.

fitzofury said: I was under the impression that it was possible to obtain a new card (spg in this case) without a hard hit on your credit report by moving some of your limit on another AMEX credit card to the new card you are applying for but the csr told me that was not case? She also told me you could not transfer MR points to SPG points and she was wrong about that. Does anyone know if its possible to move credit limits from card to card? Example, I have a 20K limit on my blue AMEX, why couldn't I get an spg card and move 10k to that card and have two cards with a 10k limit? Why would they have to pull my credit report again? I'm not applying for additional credit really...

Does any credit card issuer allow you to open a second account that way?

Sure you can transfer MR to SPG but at a 66% loss. Not worth it really.

It is no-go for me. I had the old style SPG card in 2005 and got 4k sign-up bonus and then cancelled. Applied in July 2008 and no points given, I called today and was told as I had the bonus in 2005, it is done deal for me. Tried to ask for the difference of 6k (currently 10k minus 4k previously granted), still no-go. They said whatever I got at the time, it will be all I have in my life time for sign-up... very sad...

RJG said: If you had the old platinum-colored card from years ago, you can get the bonus again for the red-colored card. Otherwise, no go.

My wife had the new red card for about a year and got a 10K bonus for signing up. We thought she had some fraud charges on it so she quickly canceled that card. When it turned out to be a misunderstanding, she re-applied for the SPG card and got another 10K points.

I just booked 5 nights at the Westin Whistler during peak skiing season (@12k points a night!!)

Just thought I'd share b/c I am psyched.

wow -- AMEX let me cancel my card after one year when the fee hit without even talking to a person. I used this for at least $4K/month for 12 months.....

mrlandlord said: Has anyone had any experience good or bad double dipping on the 10000 points promo Starwood card or Starwood biz card? Wife and i have just cancelled our first round of cards and looking to apply again but noticed that the terms say only 1 promo per person.

Just double dipped on the spg biz card. First statement arrived today showing the 10K points were awarded. Just ordered the $100 Amazon gc.

So Yes you can double dip on the spg cards!

Now for my personal card again and then wifes biz and personal...

BTW: I think it was about 3 months between cancelling the first set of cards and applying for the recent one.

It seems like a few people have been able to convert the Starwood to another AMEX card. I called the other day and they said it was not possible. I first requested blue cash and then hilton hhonors. They said I would need to cancel the SPG card (with a $24.9k CL) and then apply for one of the others.

I don't want to lose my CL and I don't want to pay the annual fee. Should I just try again for a different CSR?

whatsthisbutton4 said: wow -- AMEX let me cancel my card after one year when the fee hit without even talking to a person. I used this for at least $4K/month for 12 months.....Yeah, it really surprised me that AMEX doesn't send you to a retention person when you try to cancel. I had a $10k Blue card and cancelled it a few months ago on the phone without talking to anyone. Contrast to Citibank, which offers you everything but the kitchen sink to stay.

Has anyone had any luck waiving the annual fee recently? I've spoken to 3 CSRs all of which were dead ends. I even managed to cancel the card without getting any retention offers.

If you hadn't noticed, AMEX is trying to push away credit lines, not retain them.

Has anyone gotten the "add a 2nd cardmember" email [w/ no addt'l annual fee]?
Is this as good as it looks? I could have sworn that Am_Ex charged for adding an addt'l cardmember on your account. Am I wrong?

amiturv said: Has anyone gotten the "add a 2nd cardmember" email [w/ no addt'l annual fee]?
Is this as good as it looks? I could have sworn that Am_Ex charged for adding an addt'l cardmember on your account. Am I wrong?
That has always been the case.

See the link for the bonus points above.

lostdude said: amiturv said: Has anyone gotten the "add a 2nd cardmember" email [w/ no addt'l annual fee]?
That has always been the case.

On certain cards such as the AMEX Platinum they charge for additional cardmembers because the cardmembers would be entitled to all the usual perks.

Can anyone advise me here?

I called to cancel my card and they asked why. I told them "annual fee." They cancelled it, I destroyed the card, but now it seems that they credited that card with $45.00 for the annual fee. I think they thought I had the annual fee as a balance, but I actually paid it in October.

Is there anything I can do with a closed account with a $45.00 credit on it?

CoffeeEater said: Can anyone advise me here?

I called to cancel my card and they asked why. I told them "annual fee." They cancelled it, I destroyed the card, but now it seems that they credited that card with $45.00 for the annual fee. I think they thought I had the annual fee as a balance, but I actually paid it in October.

Is there anything I can do with a closed account with a $45.00 credit on it?

Call and ask for a refund check.

Anyone approved for a new Starwood AMEX lately? Recently applied for the biz and was insta-declined, my first decline ever on a CC app. What is really weird about it is that they did NO hard pull on any of the three bureaus. I am an existing customer, and it is possible that the info they already have on file about me was enough to give me the no. Or maybe they did pull my biz credit report and decided no go based on that. I have no idea what that report would say.

I read elsewhere on FWF that AMEX cust service told someone they are "not approving ANY new credit cards, only charge cards." But they still have all the CC apps out there like they are giving out cards.

I guess I'm just wondering whether to be personally offended. The 10K Starpoint bonus would have been nice. I woulda called to press my case, but since my limits on existing AMEX cards have not been slashed while others' have been, I decided not to.

There's some room for speculation here, since it was a business app, but someone reported that AMEX has recently switched to granting no new cards to existing cardholders.

cyberkost said: There's some room for speculation here, since it was a business app, but someone reported that AMEX has recently switched to granting no new cards to existing cardholders.

Hmm. That would certainly explain the set of facts here. I don't have a current AMEX biz card of any kind, though I did have an AMEX biz gold for a while, which I used pretty lightly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014