• Text Only
Starpoints is a good card; however the mileage transfer takes way too long. Called customer service and got a manager who could only tell me that the mileage transfer is "in the system" and that it is an automated process. Must have the slowest computers in the world to take more than 10 days to transfer miles!

What's worse, no one can tell you where they are when they're in "transfer limbo." Obviously, the company places a hold on the transfer. Of course the miles are debited from YOUR account (and posted on the website)immediately.

When pressed, they said that they could cancel the mileage request, and for only 3500 additional miles put a "rush" transfer through. The rush transfer takes 3 to five days. (No thanks, after waiting for 10 days already!)

. It depends on the airline. Transfers to American Airlines happened in 48 hours for me. I think both American and Delta post on the Monday following your request. For other airlines, yes it can take longer.

Besides this isn't an issue if you just do a little planning.

I just transferred 20K SPG points to 25K NWA miles, take one business day.

I just transferred 20K SPG points to 25K NWA miles, take exactly one business day.

I've transferred >200K points to miles in the past to British, Delta, American. Almost always shows up in 1 day.

cyberkost said: There's some room for speculation here, since it was a business app, but someone reported that AMEX has recently switched to granting no new cards to existing cardholders.

Glad I got in when the getting was good (4 months ago).

Has anyone had experience with switching from the SPG to another AMEX card? I'm not really planning on using this card next year so I don't really want to pay the fee, but it's my only AMEX card left. The weird thing is that it is showing up on my credit report as being way older than it is, like they merged it with my original AMEX Blue I got in college. So just closing it would effectively close a 10-year, $15k credit line.

I know the conventional wisdom is to not close cards, but when they are $45 a year that math may change?

smackfu said: Has anyone had experience with switching from the SPG to another AMEX card? I'm not really planning on using this card next year so I don't really want to pay the fee, but it's my only AMEX card left. The weird thing is that it is showing up on my credit report as being way older than it is, like they merged it with my original AMEX Blue I got in college. So just closing it would effectively close a 10-year, $15k credit line.

I know the conventional wisdom is to not close cards, but when they are $45 a year that math may change?

Switching cards is one of the few things you can still do. You should have not problem.

HappyGuy said: smackfu said: Has anyone had experience with switching from the SPG to another AMEX card? I'm not really planning on using this card next year so I don't really want to pay the fee, but it's my only AMEX card left. The weird thing is that it is showing up on my credit report as being way older than it is, like they merged it with my original AMEX Blue I got in college. So just closing it would effectively close a 10-year, $15k credit line.

Switching cards is one of the few things you can still do. You should have not problem.

I think they stopped switching as well, as they flat out refused to do anything with my wife's card a couple weeks ago. The only thing she could do was close and apply for a different card.

They stopped switching. I was trying to make a HHonors out of SPG ... The way they go about it is they open a new card (with a hard inquiry) and close the old one, moving almost all of the CL onto the new card (if you ask). Even this treatment (rather poor if you recall what was possible in the past) is kind of an exception, as they tend to not open another card for an existing cardholder (while this process has you with 2 cards at a certain point).

cyberkost said: They stopped switching. I was trying to make a HHonors out of SPG ... The way they go about it is they open a new card (with a hard inquiry) and close the old one, moving almost all of the CL onto the new card (if you ask). Even this treatment (rather poor if you recall what was possible in the past) is kind of an exception, as they tend to not open another card for an existing cardholder (while this process has you with 2 cards at a certain point).
Wouldn't it then make more sense to just cancel the old card yourself and apply for a new one with all the sign up bonuses available ? The only drawback I could see is that they give you a lower credit line then you used to have.

It might be beneficial, but was not practical in my case b/c:
1) I did not want to risk >$50K CL
2) I'm not sure what happens to the age/"member since" of the new card when you go from 0 to 1 card. When you go from n(>0) to n+1 cards, the (n+1)th card gets the age of the oldest existing card.

johndt-- Maybe you're not aware of this, but I think Starwood still lets you set up "direct deposit." In other words, each month they automatically transfer all of your Starpoints to your airline. Not everyone wants to do this, but if you think transfers take too long, then maybe direct deposit is for you. Call Starwood (not American Express).

smackfu said: So just closing it would effectively close a 10-year, $15k credit lineIf this is your oldest CL, I would just pay the $45 fee and not close it. Maybe call up, complain about the fee, and they might give you some free Starpoints.

When does the yearly re-Categorization occur ?

AMEX wouldn't reverse a $15 duplicate charge on my account. Why am I paying for this card again?

Does anyone know the current churn rules for SPG Business AMEX? I closed my SPG Business card in November of 2007. If I apply for another business card now will I get the 10k SPG point bonus?

P9142 said: Does anyone know the current churn rules for SPG Business AMEX? I closed my SPG Business card in November of 2007. If I apply for another business card now will I get the 10k SPG point bonus?
The rules are are once per card type (business and consumer), ever. Whether they enforce that, I don't know.

If you apply for a business card as a different entity than you did last time, it might fly. It might be difficult to get a card these days, irrelevant.

My Starwqood cc comes up for its first anny in a few weeks, with the attendatn $45 annual fee. So I called AMEX to see what they couyld do -- short answer -- NADA. Would not waive the few. Would not give me any StarPoints as compensation or incentive to keep the account.

Their explanation for being so miserly? To paraphrase -- "We think you
get such fine rewards with the Starwood card that it's worth the annual fee". Not to me...

I'm thinking of closing this account.
B/F I do that, I'll try to reallocate mopst of the CL to an existing
AMEX cc that I intend to keep.

I've check the Starwood T&C, and corresponded with AMEX CS about whether
my StarPoints are preserved if I drop the card -- and the answer appears
to be YES -- for a year anyway. I can extend the points' life by making purchases at a Starwood hotel -- whether that is staying in a room,
or just buying something at the gift store, I am not sure yet.

So any words of wisdom b/f I pull the plug -- about keeping the card
& paying the fee; or about ditching the card and keeping my points?

Scott

scottsd - before you pull the plug - here's what happened to me last year. My wife and I both have SPG AMEX cards (independently). Both renew at around the same time. - I cancelled mine - and immediately afterwards, she got the Amazon.com promotion followed by the "dependent card" promotion and then the "Cell-phone bill-payment" promotion.

Together, it was enough SPG points to return at least double the annual fee for me. So I'm repenting cancelling my card now!

So, in summary, I feel like AMEX generally (and SPG AMEX specifically) have enough promotions thru the year to payback the annual fee (at least break-even). at least, this has been the case in recent years. Hopefully that should continue.

Your other option is to reapply for a new SPG AMEX later on for bonus points- but I vaguely remember reading here or on flyertalk that AMEX is making that a once-per-person promo anyway.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
-G

G--

When I first got the card, I knew it was a (temporary) replacement for
my regular cash rewards card, a Costco AMEX cc that pays 2%/3% on T&E expenses, and 1% everything else (and now, 3% gas). When I did my calculations of what StarPoints would eventually be worth (vice putting
all my spending on my Cash rewards card), it worked out to approx 2-3 c/$1 spent. However, considering the new account signup bonus (10K pts) and the
spending bonus (15K pts), the payoff was even bigger.

Now, however, we are past that initial stage, so charging to my Starwood
card is only going to be worth that 2-3 c/$1. Compare that to my new Schwab VISA (which returns 2% cash _every_ _month_), and the goings on with the
soon-to-be demise of ThankYou Network's Fixed point Redemption program,
and cash is looking pretty good right now.

So it seems it is best (for me) to cancel the card and switch my spending
to the Schwab 2% card. In a few months, I might reapply for the Starwood card if there is a new-account bonus offered. If I don't get the card
that 2nd time around, well, I'll be happy with the cash reward VISA then.

PS I still haven't figure out what to spend my StarPoints on.
With a 60K+ balance, I was kind of aiming for Delta FF points (esp
considering the 30% bonus you get, use 15K pts, get 20K miles). Anything
over 60K I may just use towards a hotel -- hopefully I can get a night
for 4K pts or so.

Appreciate the insights.
Scott

If it's not worth paying the fee, then don't pay the fee.

What you might have a hard time doing is reallocating....

My dad received a mailed application offer today for 20,000 Starpoints if you spend $500 within 3 months of card membership. He's already a SPG member and an authorized user on my AMEX Blue card. Also, add an additional card with the application and get an bonus of 1,000 points after their first purchase. Something to look out in the mail.

Has anyone ever gotten the 10k bonus points for a second round of SPG cards?

You'd probably get better information on that by looking in the AMEX and Starwood fora over at Flyertalk.... There's a lot more point whores over there.

MosDeft said: Has anyone ever gotten the 10k bonus points for a second round of SPG cards?

yes. i apply for myself and wife both for personal and business cards every 3 months. cancel and repeat.

mrlandlord said: MosDeft said: Has anyone ever gotten the 10k bonus points for a second round of SPG cards?

yes. i apply for myself and wife both for personal and business cards every 3 months. cancel and repeat.
How many times have you done this with the personal Starwood American Express for yourself alone?

There are lots of reports that you won't get the bonus multiple times with this particular card.

xoneinax: Starwood does its re-categorization in February/March. This year's just happened, and a lot of hotels went down in category. See the list here:
http://spgpromos.com/categorychanges/category.cfm?spgCategoryCod...
(use the drop-down in the upper right to switch between cats)

scottsd: Once your AX bill has posted, the Starpoints are posted to Starwood's system and not AX's; AX can't claw them back. Hotel stays start at 2,000 points; for 4,000 points + $60, you can get a "cash & points" reward at a Category 4, which includes many very nice hotels. I've averaged at least $0.04 per Starpoint spent, and thereby visited many cities I couldn't otherwise have afforded. Also, unless Delta's running a promo on their end, the transfer bonus is 25%: 20K Starpoints = 25K SkyMiles.

I just signed up for Starwood points on spg.com. After I got the SPG a/c number, I noticed at the bottom an offer for Starwood AMEX. It says 10,000 points AND $100 credit on your statement for your a stay at Starwood property (Sheraton / Westin / Fourpoints etc.) in next 3 months. So I signed up right away. All websites I searched listed only the 10k points as a signup bonus. It seems the $100 is only for new SPG members.

I need an offer that includes upgrade to Starwood Gold. Any current offers include this?

sorry if this is answered somewhere in the thread. Don't see it in the OP (but a GREAT post there) or the quick summary. Spent a few hours researching the SPG AMEX card but haven't found talk about this...

Can I transfer Starpoints into anybody's air miles account, or only in MY air miles account? Is the link by name, or must you associate your own specific air miles accounts (Delta, American, etc) to your AMEX SPG account?

Need to decide whether to open the account in spouse's name or my name as primary. Also not sure if AMEX will give me a card if I have no income. I did not see a place on the online application where you can specify additional income, secondary cardholder income, etc.

By the way, great thread here. The OP and quick summary have some good info I haven't seen/found on the Flyertalk forums. Sometimes the FT folks get a little too travel-ish with their comments and they don't have the FW perspective.

gyagya said: scottsd - before you pull the plug - here's what happened to me last year. My wife and I both have SPG AMEX cards (independently). Both renew at around the same time. - I cancelled mine - and immediately afterwards, she got the Amazon.com promotion followed by the "dependent card" promotion and then the "Cell-phone bill-payment" promotion.

Together, it was enough SPG points to return at least double the annual fee for me. So I'm repenting cancelling my card now!

So, in summary, I feel like AMEX generally (and SPG AMEX specifically) have enough promotions thru the year to payback the annual fee (at least break-even). at least, this has been the case in recent years. Hopefully that should continue.

Your other option is to reapply for a new SPG AMEX later on for bonus points- but I vaguely remember reading here or on flyertalk that AMEX is making that a once-per-person promo anyway.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
-G

Unless the AMEX SPG (and Delta) cards have changed, it's one bonus per type of card. For example, if you started with the personal card, you could cancel that and then apply for the business card, which also offers sign-up bonus points. The terms say that it (currently 10K) is a one-time bonus for the particular type of card, business or personal.

My spouse and I are able to transfer points between each others SPG accounts because we both list the same address. I believe this was their requirement for being able to transfer points.

jlgrandam said: My spouse and I are able to transfer points between each others SPG accounts because we both list the same address. I believe this was their requirement for being able to transfer points.
Correct.

If you want to move your SPG points to your spouse's airline account, have them open their own SPG account, transfer the SPG points to their account, and, then, have them move to the airline.

And if you're trying to do it for someone who's not your spouse, just have them move in with you....

I couldn't find these answers in the thread:

1. I have cancelled my SPG card last week. Will I be able to get 10,000 point bonus if I apply again?

2. How long do I need to wait before reapplying the card (to be eligible for bonus?)

Thanks.

dreamboy124 said: I couldn't find these answers in the thread
Maybe it's because you didn't try?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/586157?query=reapply

bluedevils said:
Can I transfer Starpoints into anybody's air miles account, or only in MY air miles account? Is the link by name, or must you associate your own specific air miles accounts (Delta, American, etc) to your AMEX SPG account?

No, you can't. The names are supposed to match. To get around this, I opened a spg account under my boyfriend's name (address is the same), transferred the points to his spg account, and then transferred those points into airline points.

Data point: In advance of the annual fee, recently called to cancel SPG personal AMEX with a smallish line that had been lightly used for travel the prior year. Rep canceled it cheerfully with no effort to talk me out of it or offer an incentive.

Unless you're some kind of wiz-bang customer, there's not a lot of reason for AMEX to try to keep you. They continue to need to decrease outstanding credit.

Other than having an upper-middle-class income and strong credit profile, there's no reason for them to want to keep me. I'm a potential wiz-bang customer, but so far for them just a "customer."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014