• 123 4 513
  • Page
  • Text Only
My starwood, blue, and fidelity gold cards didn't work. My hilton HHonors card worked, however. Thanks for the link even though it isn't properly formatted. The proper link is here

Thanks for the link. I got this while registering my SPG:
Sorry. This Card is not eligible for this promotion. Please verify that you are using your eligible American Express® Card and try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Crap. BVG is going away by Nov. 1

g10ny said: Crap. BVG is going away by Nov. 1

Where do you get the news? Link please

jsurf said: g10ny said: Crap. BVG is going away by Nov. 1

Where do you get the news? Link please
Look here

Anybody got the 6000 Starwood STAY bonus points as described in the application page?
I got the 6000 points for the first purchase without any problem.
However, I didn't get the 6000 bonus points for staying at Starwood Hotel in June. I only got 1000 bonus points.Any idea? Thank you

udguys said: Anybody got the 6000 Starwood STAY bonus points as described in the application page?
However, I didn't get the 6000 bonus points for staying at Starwood Hotel in June. I only got 1000 bonus points.Any idea? Thank you

Sorry but doesn't look like you get 6000 pts for one stay. Click on the "Learn More..." link on the app and they explain how it works:

- Receive 1,000 bonus Starpoints upon first use of the Card for payment of an eligible stay at a Starwood hotel or resort
- Receive 500 bonus Starpoints for every additional eligible stay charged to the Card within the first 12 months of Cardmembership, up to a maximum of 10 stays (5,000 Starpoints)

mikebb said: udguys said: Anybody got the 6000 Starwood STAY bonus points as described in the application page?

Sorry but doesn't look like you get 6000 pts for one stay. Click on the "Learn More..." link on the app and they explain how it works:

- Receive 1,000 bonus Starpoints upon first use of the Card for payment of an eligible stay at a Starwood hotel or resort
- Receive 500 bonus Starpoints for every additional eligible stay charged to the Card within the first 12 months of Cardmembership, up to a maximum of 10 stays (5,000 Starpoints)

really? bummer!

how come no one mentioned the nights and flights for 60k points?
you get 50k airline miles and 5 nights at a category 3

so those 5 nights at a category 3 are worth 28k starpoints otherwise (5th night free) (50k + 28k = 78k)
otherwise if you used 60k for airline miles you get (25k X 3 = 75k)

xpguy said: how come no one mentioned the nights and flights for 60k points?

so those 5 nights at a category 3 are worth 28k starpoints otherwise (5th night free) (50k + 28k = 78k)

hu? sorry i didnt get it, can you elaborate more?

SleekWallet said: hu? sorry i didnt get it, can you elaborate more?

you can redeem 60k starwood points for 50k airline miles AND 5 free nights at a category 3 hotel
you can also redeem 60k starwood points for 75k airline miles ((20k + 5k bonus from starwood) X 3)
5 nights at a category 3 hotel is worth 28k (7k per night X 4) + (free night from starwood X 1)

SleekWallet said: hu? sorry i didnt get it, can you elaborate more?Here is a link.

DFWDAL said: SleekWallet said: hu? sorry i didnt get it, can you elaborate more?Here is a link.

WOW!

anyone have this card for a business
i want to start another card for my LLC, will they allow it??

xpguy said: how come no one mentioned the nights and flights for 60k points?

This is a great deal! thanks for pointing it out.

One question - do starwood points ever expire?

cchen said: One question - do starwood points ever expire?
They expire in a year if there is no activity on your account (earning).

FAQ

DBTZ said: anyone have this card for a business
i want to start another card for my LLC, will they allow it??

There is no business SPG AMEX.

You can get one for yourself and use it exclusively for your business, however. I and many others do just that.

With the recent news of AMEX changing its rewards programs, how is that going to affect this card? Will the reward accural be changed, or the annual fee increased?

I was thinking about applying for this card, but not if they take away everything that made it so good.

FairlightRacing said: With the recent news of AMEX changing its rewards programs, how is that going to affect this card? Will the reward accural be changed, or the annual fee increased?

I was thinking about applying for this card, but not if they take away everything that made it so good.

You should apply for it, get the bonus, and use the card. When/if they change anything about the program you can cancel before the annual fee kicks in.
Nothing to lose.

Has anyone been able to link their Internet Saving's account with American Express? I can't seem to link my HSBC account with American Express for some strange reason. It worked with INGDirect, but ever since I made the switch to HSBCDirect, it's giving me issues.

Thanks in advance...

Jamesbear said: Has anyone been able to link their Internet Saving's account with American Express? I can't seem to link my HSBC account with American Express for some strange reason. It worked with INGDirect, but ever since I made the switch to HSBCDirect, it's giving me issues.

Thanks in advance...
Try reading the AMEX website, in particular when you try to add the bank account note that it says you can add a checking account. Paying AMEX with a savings account is a no-no, there have been reports of online bill pay access being suspended for doing this.

I just jumped on board and picked up one of these cards. So many people had so many positive things to say that I wanted to try it. I received offer in mail for 5K sign up and 2.5K for 1st additional user, so I will have 7.5K in the account. I'd like to use it on family trip to Washington DC next year, but there do not seem to be too many Washington hotels with Starpoints.
I phoned in app and was told instant approval for 10K CL.

Will AMEX be restricting starwoods rewards in the future? I thought there was some announcement recently about scaling back rewards.

Jamesbear said: Has anyone been able to link their Internet Saving's account with American Express ? Havent had any problems paying AMEX via Capital One HYS every month.

Alcibiades said: Jamesbear said: Has anyone been able to link their Internet Saving's account with American Express ? Havent had any problems paying AMEX via Capital One HYS every month.Don't be surprised when AMEX locks you out of online Bill Pay, others have reported it already.

I signed up four months ago for 6000 bonus points and still haven't seen my points. I've called them five times and they kept giving me the runaround...NOT GOOD so far in my experience.

Can anybody share, from their experience, the process for redeeming points for mileage? I haven't seen this mentioned before, but how long exactly did it take for your points to transfer? I've read that it takes a long time, but haven't seen anyone mention it in detail. Was this process pretty simple or a pain? Thanks

citygirl212 said: Can anybody share, from their experience, the process for redeeming points for mileage? I haven't seen this mentioned before, but how long exactly did it take for your points to transfer? I've read that it takes a long time, but haven't seen anyone mention it in detail. Was this process pretty simple or a pain? Thanks

depending on the airline can take anywhere from instant to a couple of days.
I done transfers from SPG to following airlines:

UAL - instant more or less
AA - instant more or less
BA - miles posted to my BA account at midnight UK time next day.
Swiss Air - took the longest from transfer I done posted in 2-3 days dont remember exactly.

If you call up SPG they can tell you which airlines post instantly vs take a couple of days to post. For the most part all of US airlines post instantly.

joebloe said: I signed up four months ago for 6000 bonus points and still haven't seen my points. I've called them five times and they kept giving me the runaround...NOT GOOD so far in my experience.

Joebloe - I signed up around the same time as you. I sent an email once I was logged on the AMEX website asking why my bonus points hadn't posted. This was on 8/30. A rep responded that she would forward this to *wood and they would look into it. My 6,000 pts posted on 9/5. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for your quick response dolmar. That is good to hear, because OP said this about transferring miles:

"Transfer Times-
From what I've heard it can take a long time to transfer your SPG points into miles. Several weeks I think. Please reply to this post and let us know your experience. If thats the only bad part about this card.... no problem. Just keep in mind that when you transfer points into a program, they may have reward seat space available today, but they may not have it by the time your miles make it into the airline account, those seats may no longer be available. The best way to combat this (and get the most value of your miles in any situation) is to plan out your free trip well in advance."

Instant or a couple days to transfer miles...much better to my ears than several weeks. I think there are also some issues about some airlines not allowing you to "hold" onto the transferred mileage for more than a few days though. I guess all you have to do is make sure you transfer and book right away.

flintmica said: Joebloe - I signed up around the same time as you. I sent an email once I was logged on the AMEX website asking why my bonus points hadn't posted. This was on 8/30. A rep responded that she would forward this to *wood and they would look into it. My 6,000 pts posted on 9/5. Hope this helps and good luck!

I too didn't see the 6000 points post for a couple months, so called around to both AMEX and SPG and got some very helpful info, so thought I'd pass it along. Starwood only provides the 1 or 2 points per dollar spent on hotel stays. The AMEX card earns 1 point per dollar spent, and handles the signup bonuses for the credit cards. Thus, AMEX is who to contact for those items. I had to call a couple times to remind them, but I eventually got the points.

citygirl212 said: Can anybody share, from their experience, the process for redeeming points for mileage? I haven't seen this mentioned before, but how long exactly did it take for your points to transfer? I've read that it takes a long time, but haven't seen anyone mention it in detail. Was this process pretty simple or a pain? Thanks

Delta - instant (< 5 min)
Continental - a few days, not sure exactly how long. Less than a week, I believe.

can you guys estimate what's the equivalent % CashBack you are getting? what's the strategy for using this card?

perfectsilence said: can you guys estimate what's the equivalent % CashBack you are getting? what's the strategy for using this card?

Use it for high value stays at SPG properties fo rthe best use of points. Top off airline programs as necessary.

I just got 6.5c/pt value booking a Jr Suite in Monaco for 18,750 points with a street selling price of 1,000 Euros/night. That's like 6.5% CashBack

Got a post card a couple weeks ago:

1. Maximize your opportunity to reach dream destinations fast when you bank up to 10,000 Starpoints® for stays between August 15 and November 30, 2006. You'll earn 2,000 Starpoints after your first stay, 3,000 Starpoints after your second stay and 5,000 Starpoints after your third stay.
https://www.spgpromos.com/quarterly/promos/terms/q306/8000.cfm

2. Enjoy your freedom of choice as an elite member of Starwood Preferred Guest®. Choose from three different rewards for stays between August 15 and November 30, 2006.
* Choose double stays to help you get to the next level of membership status.
* Choose to earn 8,000 bonus Starpoints® after every four stays, up to 32,000 bonus Starpoints.
* Choose to earn a Free Weekend Night after every four stays, up to four nights free.
https://www.spgpromos.com/quarterly/promos/terms/q306/89P0.cfm

Register at spg.com/promo to see for which one you are eligible. I got the double stays one.

perfectsilence said: can you guys estimate what's the equivalent % CashBack you are getting? what's the strategy for using this card?

I just used 25K pts for 30K miles which got me a ticket in the caribbean which would cost $900 if I bought it from the airline or travel agent. So that's close to 4%.

Got new T&Cs on my card this month.

BVG ends on Nov 1st - I could really care less honestly.

$30k spending/year on the card gets you Gold Preferred Status now. This is good, and is a long time coming. Now if only they'd add a spending tier that provided Plat (though I'm sure the Plats would complain about dilution of status).

T&Cs indicate that you get 2 points/dollar for spending at Starwood resorts & online stores now. This is also a very nice bonus.

Quoted:

"You will receive one Starpoint for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending (as defined below) charged on your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express ("Card Account"), subject to the terms set forth below and to the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program Terms and Conditions. Starpoints will be credited to your Starwood Preferred Guest Account after the billing period in which the Eligible Spending occurs.

You will receive one additional Starpoint for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending charged on your Card Account at Starwood branded hotels and resorts then participating in the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program, and at standalone retail establishments and online stores that, in each case, are wholly-owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. ("Starwood").

If during any calendar year Eligible Spending on your Card Account is $30,000 or more, you (the Basic Cardmember) will be enrolled for at least twelve (12) months in the Gold Preferred Guest level of the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program (unless you are already enrolled at that or a higher level). Please allow 12 to 16 weeks after your Eligible Spending equals or exceeds such amount for the applicable calendar year for enrollment in the Gold Preferred Guest level to become effective.

Enrollment in the Gold Preferred Guest level will expire after such 12-month period unless Eligible Spending on your Card Account equals or exceeds $30,000 during the next subsequent calendar year or you meet the criteria to maintain Gold Preferred Guest status as specified in the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program Terms and Conditions."

$30k spending/year on the card gets you Gold Preferred Status now. This is good, and is a long time coming. Now if only they'd add a spending tier that provided Plat (though I'm sure the Plats would complain about dilution of status).

That is excellent news. I wonder when it becomes effective. I am well over 30k spent already in 2006.

I went to go check what Gold Preferred Status meant, and I found this link.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/starwoodguest.jsp

This makes it sound like you can get Gold Preferred Status by just calling in.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014