• filter:
  • 1315316317318 319
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
ya, most of them are small jobs here and there because I am a first time home buyer and the house has two units. That is why it's really hard to categorize who/what biz I should contact because the problem is not unknown, so I usually ask this contractor since he knows how to fix lots of stuff.

I.e. I thought my new washer is broken, it turned out the pipe was frozen. He also fixed my dryer duct pipe since it's too long and caused the clothing cannot dry properly,etc. He has to fix here and there as I moved into this new house.

Another excuse is I am a single female so I am not as Handy yet, still learning

I did keep all the photos of things that are broken since I usually contact him by sending him photos of the parts that are broken. I hope i can use them as proof for my cash deduction later on.

rated:
tusi said:   ya, most of them are small jobs here and there because I am a first time home buyer and the house has two units. That is why it's really hard to categorize who/what biz I should contact because the problem is not unknown, so I usually ask this contractor since he knows how to fix lots of stuff.

I.e. I thought my new washer is broken, it turned out the pipe was frozen. He also fixed my dryer duct pipe since it's too long and caused the clothing cannot dry properly,etc. He has to fix here and there as I moved into this new house.

Another excuse is I am a single female so I am not as Handy yet, still learning

I did keep all the photos of things that are broken since I usually contact him by sending him photos of the parts that are broken. I hope i can use them as proof for my cash deduction later on.

Can you not ask the contractor for a receipt? Photos may work as supporting evidence but you'd need a proof that you paid money to fix them... In case you get audited.

rated:
As long as you get a receipt for the work, you can deduct these repairs.

No need to worry about a 1099.

rated:
rascott said:   As long as you get a receipt for the work, you can deduct these repairs.

You may be able to deduct but that does not negate your responsibility to send them a 1099

rated:
rufflesinc said:   rascott said:   As long as you get a receipt for the work, you can deduct these repairs.

You may be able to deduct but that does not negate your responsibility to send them a 1099

Give me a break....I know of no landlords that have bothered issuing 1099s for handyman they have hired. Have you?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
rascott said:   As long as you get a receipt for the work, you can deduct these repairs.

You only have to file a 1099 if they make over $600.  

rated:
rascott said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Give me a break....I know of no landlords that have bothered issuing 1099s for handyman they have hired. Have you?

If I pay them $600 in a calendar year, they get a 1099.

rated:
rascott said:   rufflesinc said:   rascott said:   As long as you get a receipt for the work, you can deduct these repairs.

Mrlandlord.com, search 1099 on the forum. I havent because ive used Lowes for almost everything

rated:
You don't have file 1099 on people that give you a bill.  Only people who you pay directly, who are considered "employees".

rated:
Let's be clear here....

You do NOT have to give 1099s out, if you are a small time rental property owner. If you are a full time, real estate professional, than you may need to.

A lot of bad information posted above. The govt tried to change this in 2010, requiring everyone, regardless if you were in a full time trade or not, to issue 1099s. There was a major outcry and it was repealed the next year.

rated:
rascott said:   Let's be clear here....

You do NOT have to give 1099s out, if you are a small time rental property owner. If you are a full time, real estate professional, than you may need to.

A lot of bad information posted above. The govt tried to change this in 2010, requiring everyone, regardless if you were in a full time trade or not, to issue 1099s. There was a major outcry and it was repealed the next year.

Exactly. Many landlords are passive investors, meaning they are not engaged in the real-estate trade or business, and never need file these information returns. For those of us who do pass the rigorous test of being in the business, among the rare times when you must file a return is when you pay an unincorporated person. Avoid those types of workers, or require them to incorporate.

As to other things noted earlier, passive investor or not, paying for things with checks or credit cards (not cash) and based on legitimate itemized receipts is always a good business practice. Although the IRS is auditing fewer, it is focusing on real-estate activities, especially when one reports losses. 

• Report payments made in the course of a trade or business to a person who is not an employee or to an unincorporated business.  See here for more..

rated:
drew2money said:   You don't have file 1099 on people that give you a bill.  Only people who you pay directly, who are considered "employees".

If they are employees you dont give them a 1099 you give them a w2

rated:
Need your advices. My tenant abandoned the rental property.

I have a rental property in San Jose, and tenant has lived there for 5 years. They own me 2 months of rent, with the promise to pay all of that plus late fee last Monday. Of course they didn't pay. Now, they have blocked me on their phone (still can call from other phone number, but they don't pick up). I posted a 3-day pay or quit notice, along with a 24-hr notice to enter on their door. Upon entering, I realized that they have moved. The house's key-sets are left on the master bedroom's door. Most of furniture are gone, and only broken ones left behind. Electricity has been cut off. All clothes, .... and everything else are gone. Refrigerator is empty.

I have posted a "notice of belief of abandonment" on the front door as well (no other address / contact). My goal is to clean up, repair the unit asap so I can rent it out again to better tenants. Do I have to wait for 15 days before removing the trash & clean up the unit? Do I need to file for eviction now that they are gone?

Thank you for your help.

rated:
I'm not sure about CA law. My understanding is if it looks like only junk that's left behind you're okay to go ahead and start cleanup. If they have moved out there shouldn't be a need for eviction. Take plenty of pics confirming that all they left behind was items of no value and to prove the property was obviously vacant. I wouldn't bother going after them for 2 months rent. Considering they were there 5 years and if they didn't trash it, fix it up and go on. Sounds like you'd just fight them trying to collect. That's my opinion, but I'm not familiar with CA laws. Good luck.

rated:
You are probably fine to go ahead and just rent it out. States laws do vary, but my experience has been that when the tenants take off and owe you money, you never really hear from them again because the first question you would ask them is for the money that they owe you. My lease has things in it about abandonment so I don't worry about it when it happens.

rated:
California: The landlord is suppose to hold the tenant's belongings for 15 days. If you consider that they will not be claiming the junk belonging and to be in the safer side, you can put into garage for the meantime while you are renovating and throw away after the period.

rated:
I have a clause in my lease requiring utilities. if the house has no utilities, it is consider abandoned.

NC lets you put almost anything in your lease, even skirting the statues in some cases.  its a contract, if they sign it, it's binding.

rated:
drew2money said:   I have a clause in my lease requiring utilities. if the house has no utilities, it is consider abandoned. 

NC lets you put almost anything in your lease, even skirting the statues in some cases.  its a contract, if they sign it, it's binding.

Thank you guys, for the advice. Also about utility, guess what? I contacted PG&E and found that they have by-passed the meter to steal electricity. They cleaned it up so well that I had never suspected that they grew weed until the PG&E guy told me. Because of the extensive of the clean up (around $10K to replace the flooring (dog urinated) & repaint the house, plus clean up ...) I filed an insurance claim. Any advice or experience dealing with landlord insurance adjuster? Any of you guy know of a good public adjuster (people that help you with insurance claim) in the Bay Area?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1315316317318 319
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015