• filter:
  • 1 234564
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Tickets have different price brackets depending on what regions of the world. Continental US is 25000 points per round trip ticket. You can go from any major US airport to another major US airport and back, no black out dates. Currently Citi is also covering taxes and fees.

Ads by Google
rated:
Without a doubt, combining ThankYou points with the flight points you get when purchasing and flying on a ticket bought with one of their PP cards would be the best use, at least I think so. Say you accumulate 10,000 regular thank you points and then purchase a ticket to Europe. You will get an additional 8,000 or so (depending on destination in Europe) miles that can be used in conjuction with the regular thank you points, for a total of 18,000.

rated:
True, there are no blackout dates, but note that the new description for flight ticket redemption reads 'starting at xxxx points', and sometimes you need more than, say, 25k TY points for a domestic rount trip, or 60k for one to Asia. I suspect it happens when the ticket price they can find is over a certain limit, which is not disclosed. That said, flight ticket redemption works fairly well these days after Citi dumped Global Impact and started to use Expedia as their 'travel department'. They make effort to accommodate your request regarding specific travel times/airlines, etc. I would also encourage you to read others' experiences and report yours here.
I think flight ticket redemption is the only way to reach a cash value greater than 1 cent/pt.

rated:
ekim53 said: i always go for the Amazon gift certificates.

Where are the Amazon gift certs??? I don't see any on the thankyou network.

rated:
They haven't been available since early January.

rated:
I understand this is a thread about TY points redemption, but I'd also say a word or two about the strategy to accumulate TY points. I'm currently doing the following:
1. use Diamond Preferred Reward for gas/supermarket/Drugstore purchase to get 5 pts/$
2. use PP Elite for everything else, especially flight tickets. -- 2pts/$ GIVEN THAT YOU FLY ENOUGH.
3. get points from citi banking products, currently 800 pts/month.
4. when shopping online, go through the TY merchants website. that's a bonus of several pts/$, and it gets doubled when matched to flight pts in PP.
Hope this helps.

rated:
IMO the best way is to redeem for student loan rebate - they'll send you a check payable to you and your loan company. You mail the check to the loan company.

Next best way is to redeem for non dealpas gift card (dealpass giftcards can be bought for 20% off face value).
Gas gift cards are ok, but keep in mind that you lose 5% which you would earn by buying the gas with CC.

rated:
Amazon certs are typically amoung the best options to cash out your points. because with Amazon gift certs you can apply promo codes and take advantage of free shipping

rated:
As foto said, stay away from the Gas cards because then you're just losing that 5% back. Insted use it on something you wouldn't get Cash Back on or only get 1% back. I usually just get the GCs I know I'm going to use, although the student loan idea isn't too bad. I always figured it was mainly for people with Citi financed student loans. Foto, so they send you a check and you just sign it and forward it to your loan provider?

rated:
Maybe a question for another topic, but when I check to redeem my continental miles, all I get it 25000 points 1 way....I am new to the onepass, can someone explain? Also just got 20,000 TY points by signing up for 1 PP & 1 PP Elite ( combined limits, converted to simplicity, saved the $75 on Elite). Can I swap the TY points for OnePass miles? On an average, how many miles required for a round trip ticket to Europe?

Edited to answer my own question-

Just called TY network to find out points required. Was told starting with 25,000 if I included a saturday night stay and 14 days advance purchase, else 50,000. I think Continental is a better deal in this case coz they hd same conditions but only 10,000 one way so 20,000 total for a round trip.

rated:
target gc

rated:
OFFBEAT said: Amazon certs are typically amoung the best options to cash out your points. because with Amazon gift certs you can apply promo codes and take advantage of free shipping
They used to be, but they're not available anymore.

rated:
Use the points to get giftcards for retailers that often have resellable Hot Deals.

rated:
SweetCash said: OFFBEAT said: Amazon certs are typically amoung the best options to cash out your points. because with Amazon gift certs you can apply promo codes and take advantage of free shipping

They were gone for a while, but they're back. I just requested 2 $50 GC's yesterday. Strangely they won't come up in a search, you have page through all the gift cards to find them... but find them you will. Only $25 and $50 GC's available.

$50 Amazon.com Gift Certificate (5,000 points)
Item # : 1111059

$25 Amazon.com Gift Certificate (3,000 points)
Item # : 1111058

rated:
ekim53 said: SweetCash said: OFFBEAT said: Amazon certs are typically amoung the best options to cash out your points. because with Amazon gift certs you can apply promo codes and take advantage of free shipping

They were gone for a while, but they're back. I just requested 2 $50 GC's yesterday. Strangely they won't come up in a search, you have page through all the gift cards to find them... but find them you will. Only $25 and $50 GC's available.

Thanks a lot!

rated:
I always choose Staples GCs.

rated:
ekim53 said: They were gone for a while, but they're back. I just requested 2 $50 GC's yesterday. Strangely they won't come up in a search, you have page through all the gift cards to find them... but find them you will. Only $25 and $50 GC's available.

Interesting, thanks. They are quite hidden...

rated:
tonylu said: ekim53 said: SweetCash said: OFFBEAT said: Amazon certs are typically amoung the best options to cash out your points. because with Amazon gift certs you can apply promo codes and take advantage of free shipping

Thanks a lot!

Awesome!! They are very well hidden! The only way I could get them to show up was to go to all rewards, then choose "Within my points range" and they showed up there.

Thanks a ton! This is way better than BB/CC cards I have been using becuase their prices are so high.

rated:
We usually get Target gift cards, we always need household stuff and Target prices are reasonable !

rated:
Freakazoid said: As foto said, stay away from the Gas cards because then you're just losing that 5% back. Insted use it on something you wouldn't get Cash Back on or only get 1% back.

If you try to sell the other cards, you'd be hard-pressed to get over $0.95 per dollar. Gas is a necessity. Buying crap on Amazon or whatever is not. The Target gift card isn't bad. They have groceries and other necessities and you don't get 5% back there. But you're passing on gas cards because of the 5% discount, then buying junk on Amazon?

rated:
CoffeeEater said: Freakazoid said: As foto said, stay away from the Gas cards because then you're just losing that 5% back. Insted use it on something you wouldn't get Cash Back on or only get 1% back.

If you try to sell the other cards, you'd be hard-pressed to get over $0.95 per dollar. Gas is a necessity. Buying crap on Amazon or whatever is not. The Target gift card isn't bad. They have groceries and other necessities and you don't get 5% back there. But you're passing on gas cards because of the 5% discount, then buying junk on Amazon?

What you consider "crap" and "junk" on Amazon might be worth more than gas to other people. Don't forget that Amazon is the number one retailer for books, it has a gigantic customer base and sells virtually everything you might want to buy.

rated:

rated:
I was going to get a 4gb nano ipod. /shrug.

rated:
Jesus it sure was hard to find the Amazon.com certificates, but I finally did, after browsing though every category, they were NO where to be found. I used "within my point range" option and there they were!

FWIW Amazon GC have some of the HIGHEST resale values of any other GC online, search past auctins and you will see. BECAREFUL - they are high fraud items!

I really wish I would have been able to find the Amazon sooner. I have $700 in Exxon GC's sitting around from Thankyou and I would much rather have the Amazon to sell.

rated:
Currently have 22k points. Thinking about getting an iPod.

rated:
I like to use "Your Wish Fulfilled" and request a "date escourt".

rated:
Well I just used 60k points to book a round trip flight to Taiwan for my uncle. I searched and cheapest prices during the peak season he wanted to fly was 940. So it seems like a really good deal. I had no idea that Thank You Network was so good for travel.

rated:
CoffeeEater said: SweetCash said: CoffeeEater said: Freakazoid said: As foto said, stay away from the Gas cards because then you're just losing that 5% back. Insted use it on something you wouldn't get Cash Back on or only get 1% back.

What you consider "crap" and "junk" on Amazon might be worth more than gas to other people. Don't forget that Amazon is the number one retailer for books, it has a gigantic customer base and sells virtually everything you might want to buy.

Books aren't necessities. I'm talking 'bout gas & groceries, broseph. I know you like to cuddle up with the Hardy Boys under your covers, but we live in the real world, pal! I need to gas up my Corolla to get to my two jobs to put food on the table for my wife and kids. I need gas and groceries...not Hardy Boy novels!

oooohhhh KKK. Am I sensing a little bitterness? Some people actually use their income to BUY things. Being that this is the FINANCE forum, if you're planning on buying two different things, it makes more sense to use your Cash Back money to buy the one you get the LEAST amount back for when you buy. But hey, why would anyone want to buy books that you might actually learn something from?

rated:
v999 said: Currently have 22k points. Thinking about getting an iPod.

by the way, don't buy the iPod through TY, instead you would be better off getting the $220 in Amazon GCs and then buy the iPod through Amazon. Plus through in some CDs/DVDs for "free". I have yet to find anything cheaper through the Products section on the TY Network than just buying the GCs and getting it with them.

rated:
aegean94305 said: I understand this is a thread about TY points redemption, but I'd also say a word or two about the strategy to accumulate TY points. I'm currently doing the following:
1. use Diamond Preferred Reward for gas/supermarket/Drugstore purchase to get 5 pts/$
2. use PP Elite for everything else, especially flight tickets. -- 2pts/$ GIVEN THAT YOU FLY ENOUGH.
3. get points from citi banking products, currently 800 pts/month.
4. when shopping online, go through the TY merchants website. that's a bonus of several pts/$, and it gets doubled when matched to flight pts in PP.
Hope this helps.

Just wanted to mention that American Airlines gift cards can now be purchased at Safeway, so if you're flying American, that's going to be a better point/$ ratio (5 pts/$) than the PP Elite card.

rated:
If you're just selling the gift cards, why not just get your card converted to the Citibank Dividend card? Same reward structure, but you actually get the cash. The only reason I could think of is that you already have the Dividend card and are already at the limit for how much Cash Back per year you can receive.

rated:
can't you get Circuit City gift card and then order something online that's a few $ more than the gc. Then cancel the order and they refund the full amount to your cc? that's what i've heard...

rated:
Susannah said:
Just wanted to mention that American Airlines gift cards can now be purchased at Safeway, so if you're flying American, that's going to be a better point/$ ratio (5 pts/$) than the PP Elite card.

Disagree. By doing this you get 5 pts/$ only for the amount of the gift card, and you are losing potential flight points, while with PP the flight points boost all your spending to 2 pts/$ (again given that you fly enough).

rated:
A headup for you guys: I required two $50 gas cards for the first time and what I got is an opened envelop! the gift cards are gone! The guy stole them probably knows thankyou network and the "Thankyou" print on the envelop make it impossible for me to get gift cards. I think I'll wait for 250k points and change for an air ticket with my name on it!

rated:
AbbaZabba said: can't you get Circuit City gift card and then order something online that's a few $ more than the gc. Then cancel the order and they refund the full amount to your cc? that's what i've heard...

Is this true?

rated:
CoffeeEater said: SweetCash said: CoffeeEater said: Freakazoid said: As foto said, stay away from the Gas cards because then you're just losing that 5% back. Insted use it on something you wouldn't get Cash Back on or only get 1% back.

Books aren't necessities. I'm talking 'bout gas & groceries, broseph. I know you like to cuddle up with the Hardy Boys under your covers, but we live in the real world, pal! I need to gas up my Corolla to get to my two jobs to put food on the table for my wife and kids. I need gas and groceries...not Hardy Boy novels!

Oh, and gas is a necessity?! Did it ever occur to you that some of us live in cities that have a good public transportation system?
In any case, if in your "real world" it's so hard for you to understand the concept that not everybody necessarily shares your system of values, then it's a sad world.
BTW, trolling won't get you anywhere.

rated:
How about the student loan rebate?

Does anyone know how that works? I suspect that citi might just cut you a check to pay another financial institution. In this case, it may be possible to use it to pay credit card bills from other providers, or other kinds of non-student "loans".

Can anyone say exactly what citi sends you if you request a student loan rebate?

rated:
makeinu said: How about the student loan rebate?

Does anyone know how that works? I suspect that citi might just cut you a check to pay another financial institution. In this case, it may be possible to use it to pay credit card bills from other providers, or other kinds of non-student "loans".

Can anyone say exactly what citi sends you if you request a student loan rebate?

I haven't done this myself, but I believe you have to pick a lender that they have on their list. I'm not sure how comprehensive this list is, nor do I know if you can say request a check for Chase, and pay a credit card you have with Chase instead of a student loan you have with Chase. I'm also not sure of the legal consequences of doing so.

rated:
"ThankYou Redemptions Network is offering an opportunity for Customers to redeem their points towards repaying their educational loans. With the student loan program redemption, Please call 1-877-7-Redeem for details. Customers can apply their points towards any student loan program -financial institution."

Seems like a good way to redeem points (for $50+), since paying off the loan is something you can't get points/CashBack on?

rated:
I've redeemed twice for the student loan rebate, once about a year ago and again recently. My loans are all Direct Loans, so they're financed through the US Dept of Education. A year ago when they sent me the rebate the check was made out to (imagine my name is John Smith and I live on TwoWay Street):

US Dept of Education
John Smith
TwoWay Street
Anytown, USA 12345

I took that check straight to the bank and deposited it, no problem. However, I just redeemed again recently and received my check a few days ago. This time, the check was just made out to:

US Dept of Education

No account number (even though the thank you rep asked me for it), nothing. I went ahead and actually sent this one towards my student loan, but next time I'll probably just tell them the name of my local bank so I can deposit it into my savings account (my student loan interest rates are less than what I can earn at Presidential/ING/etc, so no need to pay them down).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234564
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014