• filter:
  • 147 48 49505165
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
hightide said:   scorptrigger said:   So I was looking for a 5% card to use at restaurants. It looks like the forward card is the only one that offers this. But if I want to use the points for airfare and get a 25% discount then I need to also have a premier elite card and having the elite card will also improve my redemption options? But if I want to get the annual fee waived for the elite card then I need to sign up for a gold bank account? This is turning out to be a lot more complicated then just a simple 5% Cash Back card to use at restaurants. Have I got all this right and is there a better option for me? I already have the 2% FIA AMEX, just looking to get 2 more one for gas(penfed or fort knox) and one for restaurants.

Citi MTVU also rewards 5% at restaurants. I have had the Citi MTVU card since 2005 and they ran extra typ promos quite frequently. Right now I am getting extra 20% on base typ (I.e. 5.2% at restaurants, bookstores, movies, music and record stores & 1.2% on other spend). This current extra typ promo is running Aug 2011-Feb 2012.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the elite (I suppose you are referring to the premierpass elite) discontinued?

American Express Cash Back preferred card- 3% on gas

Is the extra typ promos targetted? I just got the card about 3 mos ago and haven't seen anything about this.

rated:
scripta said:   chilys said:   use it on Expedia, best valueThat ship has sailed a while back.

Really? I haven't noticed much difference since they changed from Expedia to whatever portal they are using now. Except you can use points for partial payments now, and I don't think you could do that before with Expedia.

rated:
calisoldier83 said:   hightide said:   scorptrigger said:   So I was looking for a 5% card to use at restaurants. It looks like the forward card is the only one that offers this. But if I want to use the points for airfare and get a 25% discount then I need to also have a premier elite card and having the elite card will also improve my redemption options? But if I want to get the annual fee waived for the elite card then I need to sign up for a gold bank account? This is turning out to be a lot more complicated then just a simple 5% Cash Back card to use at restaurants. Have I got all this right and is there a better option for me? I already have the 2% FIA AMEX, just looking to get 2 more one for gas(penfed or fort knox) and one for restaurants.

Citi MTVU also rewards 5% at restaurants. I have had the Citi MTVU card since 2005 and they ran extra typ promos quite frequently. Right now I am getting extra 20% on base typ (I.e. 5.2% at restaurants, bookstores, movies, music and record stores & 1.2% on other spend). This current extra typ promo is running Aug 2011-Feb 2012.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the elite (I suppose you are referring to the premierpass elite) discontinued?

American Express Cash Back preferred card- 3% on gas

Is the extra typ promos targetted? I just got the card about 3 mos ago and haven't seen anything about this.

TYP levels are based on which cards you have, the better the status, the better the values.

rated:
smackfu said:   scripta said:   chilys said:   use it on Expedia, best valueThat ship has sailed a while back.

Really? I haven't noticed much difference since they changed from Expedia to whatever portal they are using now. Except you can use points for partial payments now, and I don't think you could do that before with Expedia.

You now also get a 25%/33% bonus/discount.

rated:
pgrey98 said:   smackfu said:   scripta said:   chilys said:   use it on Expedia, best valueThat ship has sailed a while back.

You now also get a 25%/33% discount/bonus if you have an annual fee TYP card.

Corrected.

rated:

rated:
dont know where to put this, but since i'm subscribed to this thread...

open a custom credit line and get 10k thankyou points:
http://banking.citibank.com/cbol/11/customcreditline/blue/defaul...

Call 866-458-9207 and mention code NCLE or visit your local Citibank branch.
(offer extended to 2/29/12)

Note:
Annual Fee of $50 waived for Citigold customers and anyone who takes a loan on their account once during the year.

rated:
yurgreat said:   dont know where to put this, but since i'm subscribed to this thread...

open a custom credit line and get 10k thankyou points:
http://banking.citibank.com/cbol/11/customcreditline/blue/defaul...

Call 866-458-9207 and mention code NCLE or visit your local Citibank branch.
(offer extended to 2/29/12)

Note:
Annual Fee of $50 waived for Citigold customers and anyone who takes a loan on their account once during the year.

It looks like the Thank You points from this offer are considered a banking bonus, so you are likely to get hit with a 1099-MISC after redemption showing $250 worth of income (using the 2.5cent/1point valuation that Citi has been using on tax forms). The offer has the following language in the fine print:

Value of rewards from redeemed ThankYou Points will be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any taxes.

rated:
smackfu said:   scripta said:   chilys said:   use it on Expedia, best valueThat ship has sailed a while back.Really? I haven't noticed much difference since they changed from Expedia to whatever portal they are using now. Except you can use points for partial payments now, and I don't think you could do that before with Expedia.I meant using it on Expedia is no longer an option. Travel redemption is still the best value, especially if:pgrey98 said:   You now also get a 25%/33% bonus/discount.You only get that discount if you have the right credit card (TY Premier and Prestige).

rated:
I am thinking about applying for one or more Citi Cards. I like the Forward because I spent plenty of money at restaurants and Amazon, but I know the redemption rates are lower. I would be looking to redeem my rewards for Amazon gift cards because I spend plenty of money there anyway.

I have been reading that other cards, such as ThankYou Preferred, have lower redemption rates for their ThankYou points:

MisterEd said:   guoyuucla said:   Will citi thankyou preferred card give you 1:1 redemption rate for gift cards too?

I have only forward card, and Amazon gift card is $50/6000pt, which is miserable. Would like to know if it will become $50/5000pt with preferred card.
I have Preferred and Premier ... one of them does. Probably just the premier because you have to pay for it.

guoyuucla said:   Thanks for the input!

I have seen someone said the preferred card will give u 1:1 redemption rate.

So wonder if anyone else can confirm that?

If this is true, it's a good fee-free card to boost up the value of TY points.

My question is, if I end up with both the Forward card and the ThankYou Preferred card on the same ThankYou account, do I get the best redemption rates from the Preferred card with all the points? Meaning, will I be able to redeem Citi Forward points at 5,000 points = $50 Amazon gift card (or equivalent rate, I don't care about the specific denomination)?

If this is the case, I will apply for the ThankYou Preferred now to get the signup bonus, and then the Forward card in several months.

Thanks!

rated:
killbot2012 said:   

My question is, if I end up with both the Forward card and the ThankYou Preferred card on the same ThankYou account, do I get the best redemption rates from the Preferred card with all the points? Meaning, will I be able to redeem Citi Forward points at 5,000 points = $50 Amazon gift card (or equivalent rate, I don't care about the specific denomination)?

If this is the case, I will apply for the ThankYou Preferred now to get the signup bonus, and then the Forward card in several months.

Thanks!

All your TYP essentially go into one big pool. So yes, the better redemption rates will be available to points earned using the Forward. I have both cards, and can definitely confirm.

rated:
beatme said:   killbot2012 said:   

Thanks!

All your TYP essentially go into one big pool. So yes, the better redemption rates will be available to points earned using the Forward. I have both cards, and can definitely confirm.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Citi Forward would be a great card for me because I spend plenty of money on Amazon and at restaurants. I was disappointed with the redemption options, but if I can increase their value by also getting Citi ThankYou Preferred, I'll do that. I'll apply for the ThankYou Preferred card later today.

rated:
where is the best place to use the TY points now?

rated:
rani3182 said:   where is the best place to use the TY points now?

The 48 pages of discussion had no suggestions?

rated:
I'm attempting to do the mortgage redemption for the first time. I have a "Visa Forward" through CitiBank, and my mortgage is through CitiMortgage, so they had better accept these checks! The lady on the phone said to make sure the institution will accept the checks from 3rd parties, but I didn't do that. I'm just going to roll the dice and hope they accept it. Would be slightly ridiculous if they didn't.

The redemption value for mortgage checks is at a maximum: 10k points = $100. So this is the best value for me. They have other denominations, but it's the same point-to-dollar value for them all. It was strange in that they are going to cut 2 checks, one for $250=250k points and $50=500k points, to use up my nearly all of my points I have (just over 300k).

They said it would take 1-3 weeks to get the paper Checks In The Mail. And then I have to mail in my mortgage payment with them along with my personal check with the remainder of the mortgage payment. This will be the first time I've paid with paper,lol. I usually pay through a Wells Fargo website bill pay dealie.

If anyone's interested, I can report back later letting people know if it worked or not. (I have a nagging feeling something will go wrong; call me cynical.) Send me a PM later and I'll report back if I don't remember to.

rated:
rani3182 said:   where is the best place to use the TY points now?

Transferring to my account. PM me for details. Hurry! This is hot and YMMV.

Edit to add: Someone (not rani) actually PMed me for more info!

rated:
ZeyaV said:   I'm attempting to do the mortgage redemption for the first time...
(I have a nagging feeling something will go wrong; call me cynical.)

I have done mortgage redemptions several times over the years, as have many other FWFers. I only once had a problem, which was the check getting delayed in the mail. This was during a period when I was having a lot of trouble with the USPS, so I doubt it's Citi's fault. Even on that occasion, where I presumed the check lost, the process of getting a replacement check issued was straightforward.

I have never heard of anyone having any trouble actually using the check. Don't worry too much.

rated:
ZeyaV said:   I'm attempting to do the mortgage redemption for the first time. I have a "Visa Forward" through CitiBank, and my mortgage is through CitiMortgage, so they had better accept these checks! The lady on the phone said to make sure the institution will accept the checks from 3rd parties, but I didn't do that. I'm just going to roll the dice and hope they accept it. Would be slightly ridiculous if they didn't.

The redemption value for mortgage checks is at a maximum: 10k points = $100. So this is the best value for me. They have other denominations, but it's the same point-to-dollar value for them all. It was strange in that they are going to cut 2 checks, one for $250=250k points and $50=500k points, to use up my nearly all of my points I have (just over 300k).

They said it would take 1-3 weeks to get the paper Checks In The Mail. And then I have to mail in my mortgage payment with them along with my personal check with the remainder of the mortgage payment. This will be the first time I've paid with paper,lol. I usually pay through a Wells Fargo website bill pay dealie.

If anyone's interested, I can report back later letting people know if it worked or not. (I have a nagging feeling something will go wrong; call me cynical.) Send me a PM later and I'll report back if I don't remember to.

I hope you mean $2500=250k points and $5000=500k points! Otherwise, you're getting screwed!

rated:
ThePessimist said:   ZeyaV said:   I'm attempting to do the mortgage redemption for the first time...
(I have a nagging feeling something will go wrong; call me cynical.)

I have done mortgage redemptions several times over the years, as have many other FWFers. I only once had a problem, which was the check getting delayed in the mail. This was during a period when I was having a lot of trouble with the USPS, so I doubt it's Citi's fault. Even on that occasion, where I presumed the check lost, the process of getting a replacement check issued was straightforward.

I have never heard of anyone having any trouble actually using the check. Don't worry too much.

ZeyaV, if you paste "mortgage" in the "search this topic" box at the top of the page, you can read all past discussions about mortgage redemptions in this thread.

rated:
lotusgardener said:   
I hope you mean $2500=250k points and $5000=500k points! Otherwise, you're getting screwed!

$25 for 2500pts and certain multiples of that (same rate). You're right, I just got it wrong when I typed up the post.

rated:
i don't know why the other person got red, but I have the same question. Where is the best place to use the TY points now?

rated:
bestdealseaker said:   i don't know why the other person got red, but I have the same question. Where is the best place to use the TY points now?

The reason is what BrlDsguise said, there are 48 pages of thread discussing this. It isn't that people are holding out on their ideas. People are already sharing the good stuff that they find.

rated:
I have Staples $50 showing onsale for 4500 points on my account:
"Just in time for tax season, save 10% on a $50 Staples Gift Card. Now 4,500 pts (reg. 5,000 pts) through March 22, 2012."

But g/f's account does not. Strange. We both have MTVu and banking accounts but I have an extra credit card so maybe that is why?

Just wanted to give a heads up if you are a lucky one too...I love Staples GC's, so easy to cash out as real money in Easy rebates, or rewards then into rebates.

rated:
Lowes also showing $50 for 4500 points

rated:
beatme said:   bestdealseaker said:   i don't know why the other person got red, but I have the same question. Where is the best place to use the TY points now?

The reason is what BrlDsguise said, there are 48 pages of thread discussing this. It isn't that people are holding out on their ideas. People are already sharing the good stuff that they find.

I may get a red for this... but I get why they're asking for this. This is a fairly old thread ~6 years old. Many of the early redemption discussions are not valid anymore.

There was another thread that talked about Amazon being discounted (9k points for $100GC) which finds no mention here. Also not mentioned here is the FT discussion about how to enhance the value of TYP by redeeming for first or biz class tickets and then doing cancellation and rebooking. While this may not be alive anymore, its worth noting that this option typically required higher number of points to be able to play with and had the best redemption.

rated:
TheWalL said:   beatme said:   bestdealseaker said:   i don't know why the other person got red, but I have the same question. Where is the best place to use the TY points now?

I may get a red for this... but I get why they're asking for this. This is a fairly old thread ~6 years old. Many of the early redemption discussions are not valid anymore.

There was another thread that talked about Amazon being discounted (9k points for $100GC) which finds no mention here. Also not mentioned here is the FT discussion about how to enhance the value of TYP by redeeming for first or biz class tickets and then doing cancellation and rebooking. While this may not be alive anymore, its worth noting that this option typically required higher number of points to be able to play with and had the best redemption.

Amazon discussed on page 47. Just reading post from 2012 gives several suggestions for maximum redemptions.

Since I have a Premier Card and accepted a retention offer of 10k points to offset the $125 annual fee I only redeem for airfare with a 25 % discount which is also mentioned on page 47.

rated:
I just redeemed my 50k bonus from the Premier card for a $500 mortgage payment. I call that sweet!

rated:
I'm too lazy to search, but I'm pretty sure that FT strategy was discussed here.

Even though not everything discussed here is valid, some of us still update the QS.

rated:
scripta said:   I'm too lazy to search, but I'm pretty sure that FT strategy was discussed here.

Even though not everything discussed here is valid, some of us still update the QS.

There is a link to the FT strategy in the QS.

That strategy was killed when fixed point redemptions were discontinued three years ago though - correct?

rated:
student loan credit thing still work? I don't see any link to it on thankyou.com

rated:
titan01 said:   student loan credit thing still work? I don't see any link to it on thankyou.com

Still showing up for me...Rewards > Cash & Charity > Student Loan Rebates

rated:
Not sure if this is because I have the Premier card but I have received very good rates on car rentals using TYPs.

I just priced out a weekly rental through Expedia vs. TYP travel center and it was $320 vs. 16K TYPs which doubles the value of the redemption

rated:
BrlDsguise said:   Not sure if this is because I have the Premier card but I have received very good rates on car rentals using TYPs.

I just priced out a weekly rental through Expedia vs. TYP travel center and it was $320 vs. 16K TYPs which doubles the value of the redemption
Good to know, but if you rent a car using TYP, do you end up missing out on the car insurance-relaetd benefits you would get if you used a credit card?

rated:
i am new to TYP. i read in the summary that one can send points to someone else to redeem. how is this done? i just searched my checking rewards TY account and couldn't find such option. the reason i am asking is that i have another TY account which goes with credit card and it gets better offers. the last time i had $50 Staples cards at a discount in that account but not in the checking one. how do i send my checking points to the credit card account? thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

rated:
freefun4every1 said:   how do i send my checking points to the credit card account?

You don't want to combine the TY accounts? My bank account and two credit cards all go to the same TY account.

rated:
I just wanted to share my experience of trying to use Thank You points to book a travel reward with the hope / possibility of getting the 35% "discount".

I am looking for NYC to Toronto flights, for 2 adults, circa early July 2012. Flexible with dates, with departure either Friday / Sat, and return on Monday / Tuesday.

Searched farecast with a few parameters, and the best flight (dep airport preferably Newark), and times reasonable, i.e., not 6:35 am departure. I was able to get some options for $277 per person for round-trip (for a total of $554 for 2).

Now I go to the Thank You Network, and do a broad search (no restriction on time, airline, etc, only specific dates). I get decent looking prices, thinking I can probably get a few bucks off, like something on the order of 4x,000 TYP, so anywhere between $50 to $100 discount on point usage.

As I try to narrow to get good times, price slowly goes up, approaching 55K TYP (at this point, what's the point of buying using TYPs?).

So I give up, and do a search for exactly what I want, by specifying airport (EWR), instead of NYC, and times. Boom, the same exact flight given in the previous search comes up with around 7000 more TYP, for a total of 61K TYP.

Do they think we are stupid or stupid?

Student loan rebates, here I come.

farecast.com, thank you again for good service.

rated:
BrlDsguise said:   scripta said:   I'm too lazy to search, but I'm pretty sure that FT strategy was discussed here.

There is a link to the FT strategy in the QS.

That strategy was killed when fixed point redemptions were discontinued three years ago though - correct?

exactamente. That strategy was so 2010.

rated:
lotusgardener said:   I just redeemed my 50k bonus from the Premier card for a $500 mortgage payment. I call that sweet!

Well done, I am about to redeem a 4-figure sum for my "student loan payment". That's gonna be SUIIIIIEEEEET.

rated:
BrlDsguise said:   TheWalL said:   beatme said:   bestdealseaker said:   i don't know why the other person got red, but I have the same question. Where is the best place to use the TY points now?

Amazon discussed on page 47. Just reading post from 2012 gives several suggestions for maximum redemptions.

Since I have a Premier Card and accepted a retention offer of 10k points to offset the $125 annual fee I only redeem for airfare with a 25 % discount which is also mentioned on page 47.

Unless I am missing something, does the travel strategy really work? Their "travel agent" sets their own prices, which are not the best market prices. So while you are getting a "discount" of 35%, it is on a prices that has been padded up. At least that was my experience, documented a couple of posts above.

rated:
The sweet Amazon deal ($100 for 9,000 points) no longer works for me - now showing $50 Amazon card for 6000 points.

No deals for Lowes (best there is $50 for 6,000 points) or Staples ($100 for 10,000 points) for me, either.

Please post when you find other discounts - Citi (intentionally, I assume) does a poor job at making the rewards site navigable and informative. Which makes me less likely to use this card.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 147 48 49505165
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014