• filter:
  • 156 57 58596064
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
steve1jr said:   Any bright ideas for using large quantities of Home Depot gift cards that would make this more lucrative than Mortgage Statement redemption? (assuming we don't want any major Home Improvements)

Tools?

rated:
More of you don't fly?

Since 2009, I've used 550,000 points on airfare at $1.33 per 100 points for $7300 worth of airfare. Compared to GCs that pay $1 per 100 points, I've earned an extra $1800.

Zero restrictions on flights you can book.

rated:
steve1jr said:   Any bright ideas for using large quantities of Home Depot gift cards that would make this more lucrative than Mortgage Statement redemption? (assuming we don't want any major Home Improvements)

Just an idea, but you could find a way to turn the Home Improvement Gift Card into cash, then you would be good to go. They have them at Home Depot. I do not know if you can get them with a HD gift card though.

rated:
LexLuthor said:   Zero restrictions on flights you can book.

I've found many flights on ITA Software that I haven't been able to book through the ThankYou booking site, which especially chokes on multi-segment bookings. Sometimes you can call to get the flight you want. But in one case I tried to book online and via phone for a simple one-way flight that was bookable across all sites but was told the seats were sold out. So there are some weird restrictions.

rated:
thursday said:   LexLuthor said:   Zero restrictions on flights you can book.

I've found many flights on ITA Software that I haven't been able to book through the ThankYou booking site, which especially chokes on multi-segment bookings. Sometimes you can call to get the flight you want. But in one case I tried to book online and via phone for a simple one-way flight that was bookable across all sites but was told the seats were sold out. So there are some weird restrictions.

I've always been able to get them by calling. Weird that happened to you for a one-way.

I found this AM that I can't get Hawaiian airlines deeply discounted intra-island fares through TY travel (66 one way on hawaiianairlines.com, 87 online @ TY portal).

rated:
start a lumber reselling business.

rated:
sloth911 said:   Jesus it sure was hard to find the Amazon.com certificates, but I finally did, after browsing though every category, they were NO where to be found. I used "within my point range" option and there they were!

FWIW Amazon GC have some of the HIGHEST resale values of any other GC online, search past auctins and you will see. BECAREFUL - they are high fraud items!

I really wish I would have been able to find the Amazon sooner. I have $700 in Exxon GC's sitting around from Thankyou and I would much rather have the Amazon to sell.

I tried this and still don't see AMZ. One thing that's possible is a few weeks ago I linked TYP to AMZ for the pay with TYP option (I didn't realize how terrible the redemption ratios would be). It was around this time AMZ eCerts disappeared from TYP.

rated:
No kidding. The redemption ratio for pay with points for Amazon purchases is absolutely terrible. This is something I will never be using (unless I decide to close my citi account and need to get rid of a de minimis number of points). I don't know who is responsible for this bonehead move, but it makes me dislike both Citi and Amazon because of it.

rated:
I read on CVS's website a couple of weeks ago. CVS is working one the GC exchange website. You can convert most of the GCs into CVS GC.
http://www.cvs.com/promo/promoLandingTemplate.jsp?promoLandingId...

Can anybody confirm? any experiences?

rated:
4RainyDays said:   You can convert most of the GCs into CVS GC.

Same rate as cashing out through Plastic Jungle.

rated:
I am also in the same boat. Did you find a solution? Can you buy other (BB, Amazon,...) GCs with HD GCs?

rated:
4RainyDays said:   I am also in the same boat. Did you find a solution? Can you buy other (BB, Amazon,...) GCs with HD GCs?

Home Depot? HD stores me don't sell 3rd party gift cards.

rated:
What are my option(s)?
What GC(s) do you recommend?
I want to redeem my TYP to GC
GC -> BB GC

rated:
I am now showing 1 to 1 redemption on Gift Cards, anyone else getting that?

rated:
not on my forward account.

rated:
mikefxu said:   I am now showing 1 to 1 redemption on Gift Cards, anyone else getting that?

My TY Preferred shows 1:1 for GC's

rated:
are people getting RZ points for purchasing gift cards from BB?

rated:
choe said:   are people getting RZ points for purchasing gift cards from BB?

Not sure why you're asking that here, but yes you get RZ points for BB and/or Kindle GC purchases.

rated:
chimmy826 said:   choe said:   are people getting RZ points for purchasing gift cards from BB?

Not sure why you're asking that here, but yes you get RZ points for BB and/or Kindle GC purchases.

Been cashing out my TYP for BB GC to buy kindle GC. But my RZ account shows 0 points for those purchases so far.

rated:
choe said:   chimmy826 said:   choe said:   are people getting RZ points for purchasing gift cards from BB?

Been cashing out my TYP for BB GC to buy kindle GC. But my RZ account shows 0 points for those purchases so far.

I think the orig question went off-topic for this thread - but for the record you don't get RZ points buying anything inside BB if you are using a BB GC as your form of payment. You do get RZ points for buying any GCs inside BB and not using a BB GC as a form of payment.

rated:
bedelman said:   I know that student loan and mortgage rebate checks must be made payable to financial institutions. Has anyone used Bank of America? Would the check read "Bank of America", "Bank of America Mortgage", or something else?

How about ETrade ? Fidelity?

I chatted w/ ETrade CSR; they said they can take a check made payable to ETrade BANK, but to put name/account number in the memo line. Going to try it.

rated:
If you call Thankyou, you can redeem your points for Amazon gift cards at the regular 100 pts = $1 ratio. The phone rep told me that it's because online Amazon GCs are the main way for people to get money from a hacked account, supposedly.

rated:
Just bought a flight for 49540 points instead of paying cash of $656. So about 1.3cents/pt, plus I earned lots of those points at 5x or 3x. This is since I've got the Citi Premier card, but I don't think I'll keep it once the annual fee comes due since I'm flying less and less.

rated:
breaux124 said:   Just bought a flight for 49540 points instead of paying cash of $656. So about 1.3cents/pt, plus I earned lots of those points at 5x or 3x. This is since I've got the Citi Premier card, but I don't think I'll keep it once the annual fee comes due since I'm flying less and less.

You might reconsider. First, you may be able to get a retention offer to get the AF refunded. Even if not, consider that you need to redeem for only 1 ~$350 flight/year to break even on the AF (its $99 right I think?).

rated:
kwest said:   breaux124 said:   Just bought a flight for 49540 points instead of paying cash of $656. So about 1.3cents/pt, plus I earned lots of those points at 5x or 3x. This is since I've got the Citi Premier card, but I don't think I'll keep it once the annual fee comes due since I'm flying less and less.

You might reconsider. First, you may be able to get a retention offer to get the AF refunded. Even if not, consider that you need to redeem for only 1 ~$350 flight/year to break even on the AF (its $99 right I think?).
The annual fee is currently $125.

rated:
breaux124 said:   Just bought a flight for 49540 points instead of paying cash of $656. So about 1.3cents/pt, plus I earned lots of those points at 5x or 3x. This is since I've got the Citi Premier card, but I don't think I'll keep it once the annual fee comes due since I'm flying less and less.
For the past 2 years around time to pay the annual fee for my TY Premier card, I've called up and received 10,000 bonus points for $3000 of new spending. I use the card until I spend $3000. The 10,000 points is worth $133 in airfare and I also don't need to cash in all of my accumulated points (losing out on future airline savings). The $3000 spending at 1 point per dollar does cost me about $30 vs using my 2% CashBack Fidelity card, but it's close enough that it makes it worth keeping the card.

rated:
motuwallet said:   well i just found what might be the most bizarre, if not best, way to use citi thank you points. "Saudi Arabia 8 Volume Set: Secret Intelligence Records 1926 1939" can be yours for 588,100 Pts ~ $5,881. sadly not even a good deal as it's available on Amazon at the discounted price of $4,700. (plus a $5 mp3 credit!)

Crap, I've been looking for the years 1940 and later...thanks anyway.

rated:
anyone ever had trouble depositing mortgage or student loan rebate checks to usaa account? and do both of these checks look the same?

rated:
No trouble with student loan checks to USAA. Do it all the time.

rated:
Has anyone ever found a reward number (or whatever it's called) that works for ordering student loan or mortgage rewards online, or do you just call in to redeem like I do?

rated:
dbond79 said:   Has anyone ever found a reward number (or whatever it's called) that works for ordering student loan or mortgage rewards online, or do you just call in to redeem like I do?

everything i've experienced has been call-in. i would pay a large percentage of my refund not to have to talk to the morons in customer no-service....

rated:
hebron1427 said:   dbond79 said:   Has anyone ever found a reward number (or whatever it's called) that works for ordering student loan or mortgage rewards online, or do you just call in to redeem like I do?

everything i've experienced has been call-in. i would pay a large percentage of my refund not to have to talk to the morons in customer no-service....

You can pay 50% and get statement credit.

rated:
What's the difference between mortgage checks and student loan checks?

I imagine they are exactly the same.
Mortgage checks dont have anything on them but the name of the bank you tell them when you ordered them...

rated:
Was about to order one before I saw the redemption went up again. Last time it went down after going up, so will wait it out and hope for the same.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   What's the difference between mortgage checks and student loan checks?

I imagine they are exactly the same.
Mortgage checks dont have anything on them but the name of the bank you tell them when you ordered them...

Same thing with student loan.

rated:
My local Bank of America branch in MA would not permit me to deposit my student loan rebate check to my checking account. They stated they could only apply to a loan or credit card. Just FYI; hopefully only a 1 off situation.

Edit - Anyone used the BofA mobile check deposit app for these? I'm tempted so I don't have to deal with people.

rated:
kwest said:   My local Bank of America branch in MA would not permit me to deposit my student loan rebate check to my checking account. They stated they could only apply to a loan or credit card. Just FYI; hopefully only a 1 off situation.

Edit - Anyone used the BofA mobile check deposit app for these? I'm tempted so I don't have to deal with people.

I've used it w/ Chase mobile deposit w/o a hitch. I even called and asked about depositing the check made out to them and they said to use an ATM or mobile deposit...

rated:
kwest said:   My local Bank of America branch in MA would not permit me to deposit my student loan rebate check to my checking account. They stated they could only apply to a loan or credit card. Just FYI; hopefully only a 1 off situation.

Mobile app it and forget it.

Speaking of mobile apps... no one actually look at these check deposits unless something wrong with them right?
I thing the system looks for the amount, routing/checking numbers and whether its endorsed or not.

So maybe you can deposit a check made out to BoA into Chase... as long as the check clears no one will bother you about what's on the face of it right? The issuing bank doesn't selectively pay the bank who's name is on the check and reject others right?

Just a thought...

rated:

I've been dropping the checks into my local BoA ATM (also in MA) and haven't had any issues.

rated:
Can anyone confirm if the Citi ThankYou Preferred card is treated as a premium card that would make your ThankYou reward account eligible to redeem for flights at the $.0133 dollar per point value. MyMoneyBlog.com seems to think it is (http://www.mymoneyblog.com/best-value-citi-thankyou-points.html) but I would appreciate firm confirmation before wasting the hard pull on this card. The Preferred card is a no annual fee card, so it would be a nice, affordable way to get the premium status. Currently I just have the forward card, so I can't get the preferred flight redemption option.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 156 57 58596064
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014