• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Before, Citi's rates werent that competitive. Thus EZ-Checking for the $200 bonus. But now that e-Savings is 4.5%, having more $ in Citi for higher Thankyou Points seems attractive.

Thankyou Points chart of various Citibank checking acct types.

1) Citibank® EZ Checking:
Includes a Regular Checking account, unlimited free checkwriting & no monthly fee if you make two monthly bill payments, use Direct Deposit, or meet the combined average balance of $1,500.

2) The Citibank Account:
Choose either Regular or Interest Checking & get free checkwriting if you meet the combined average balance of $6,000.

3) Citibank Everything Counts®:
Select either Regular or Interest Checking & get free checkwriting if you meet the combined average balance of $10,000.

4) CitiGold®:
- $100,000 or more in eligible deposits, credit balances, investments and retirement accounts
or
- $250,000 if you elect to include the outstanding amount of your first mortgage from CitiMortgage in your CitiGold relationship.

Since The Citibank Account and Everything Counts gives you the same monthly Thankyou Points, here's the differences from this THREAD where Dolmar said: 1. "Citibank" account quilifies for "No monthly service fee with the $6,000 minimum. If you don't maintain it and do incur a fee, you may be eligible for rebates of up to $24 a year" While the "Everything Counts" account does not quilify for any rebates if you fail to maintain the min balance required.

2. "Everything Counts" account will waive the Quicken monthly service charged on month you maintain the min balance requirements. I highly recommend everyone who has either an "Everything Counts" or a "Citigold" account use Quicken over Citibank web bill pay. Main reason is Quicken will debit your account on the due date for all EFT payee and for payee who dont accept EFT they will mail a check drawn on your account. So you will continue to collect the interest on your funds till the check is cashed. As oppesed to Citibank withdrawning the funds on the date the ETF transfer is started on or the date the check is mailed out.

3. "Everything Counts" qualifies for "Extras including free cashier's and traveler's checks" while the "Citibank" account does not.

I know reason 1 is a pro for the people who barley meet the requires of the "Citibank" account but reason 2 is a good reason by itself to have to have an "Everything Counts" account because the Quicken access fee is $9.99 a month. Now most people dont bother getting tranveler's checks or cashiers check any more but still nice to be able to get them if you need them.

Edit:
You even earn .25% interest on both 'The Citibank Acct' and 'Everything Counts.' LINK

edit2:
e-Savings is now 5%

edit3:
Down to 4.5%
however, Citi Ultimate Money acct is 5%. Link (Thx Dpid)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You can get a consolidated statement, which shows your balances as of the last credit card cycle that fell within your b... (more)

andrewli (Apr. 15, 2008 @ 11:35p) |

Thanks, andrewli. Very useful to know.

Do you know if the balances on a CITI credit card count towards the $6K required ... (more)

tolamapS (Apr. 15, 2008 @ 11:54p) |

Yes if the accounts are linked and they are both personal. A business CC balance will not help meet the limit for a pers... (more)

thisguy (Apr. 16, 2008 @ 12:21a) |

It's down to 4.5% on e-savings
Open Ultimate Money Account for 5%. link
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It also seems that according to the terms any outstanding balance on linked citi credit cards (that's right, money that you owe) also counts towards the balance requirements.

Considering that citi offers a lot of hot 0% BT deals, this deal is hot.

but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

makeinu said: It also seems that according to the terms any outstanding balance on linked citi credit cards (that's right, money that you owe) also counts towards the balance requirements.

Considering that citi offers a lot of hot 0% BT deals, this deal is hot.

Boo, my 0% BT on my Dividend AMEX doesn't seem to count according to those terms. It would be nice to take their money and put it in their bank earning 4.5%, and have them reward me.

didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

No.

First of all, the highest current rate on a savings account without a $100,000 minimum is 4.8% (from HSBC). The most you can get on a nonpromo offer is 5%, but that requires a $100,000 balance. So 5%+ isn't available.

Second of all, at maximum utilization the EZ Checking account will earn you 300 points per month, while the Citibank Account will earn you 800 points per month. If you redeem your points intelligently, then each point is worth about 1 cent. So we are talking about a monthly difference of 500 points=$5, or $60 over the course of a year. So on $6000, the extra thank you points are equal to a 1% boost in interest rate. That puts your money at 5.5%, which is much better than what you can get anywhere else.

That's not even considering the fact that if you have at least $6000 in BT money from citibank then you don't need to put any money into the citibank e-savings account at all.

JeebusSaves said: Boo, my 0% BT on my Dividend AMEX doesn't seem to count according to those terms. It would be nice to take their money and put it in their bank earning 4.5%, and have them reward me.

Oops, I guess AMEX doesn't count:
4 Includes Citibank Silver, Citibank Gold, AAdvantage® Platinum Select, and certain other Citibank MasterCard or Visa credit cards you may have (except Home Savings of America, Savings of America, Business Card, Purchasing Card, and Corporate Card). When considering loan and line of credit balances for combined average balance calculations, the outstanding principal balance is recognized — not the amount of the line.

didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

why do people keep saying this 5% at other banks in like every thread?
I looked at the Best current apr's thread, and 2 banks have 5%, one of which has a hefty requirement, and the other is only good for 6 months...
and most banks above 4.5% currently have some type of other requirements (mainly a large amount of money)

propcgamer said: didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

maybe bc there are several

None of the top 3 required a $100k deposit. And even HSBC/ING are "promo rates" so you cant discount these other accounts paying over 5%

I'm new to Citibank (recently opened an account for the 2*$100 promo) -- anyone know if it's possible to change your pricing package to the "Citibank Account" on the website, or is that only done by a CSR on the phone? I've been poking around the site but I can't figure out how to do it.

makeinu said: didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

No.

First of all, the highest current rate on a savings account without a $100,000 minimum is 4.8% (from HSBC). The most you can get on a nonpromo offer is 5%, but that requires a $100,000 balance. So 5%+ isn't available.

see my link in my post above. Im earning 5%+ in each of the top three accounts in that thread, and NONE required a $100k balance.

But thanks for playing....

I guess the best way to play this game is

to use the credit card balance count towards the 6000 requirement. Then you need not be limited by the 4.5% offered by citi savings.

It need to be noted as well that the 800 points is when you have 7+ (or 7) services (and I think that is not that tough). At least 6 services seems pretty easy - Checking Account, Debit Card, Online Bill Payment, Savings/Money Market, Direct Deposit, CD (not really good rates considering the 5.25% offered by middlesex). 6 services fetch you 600 points.

However, the value of these points, whether you get 800 or 600 per month, may increase if you can match them with flight points from PP Elite (I am not sure about this, anyone here have experience??) Citi card.

SEEMS YOU CAN NOT MATCH THE POINTS, SEE POST BELOW

MrFluteRadha said: I guess the best way to play this game is

to use the credit card balance count towards the 6000 requirement. Then you need not be limited by the 4.5% offered by citi savings.

It need to be noted as well that the 800 points is when you have 7+ (or 7) services (and I think that is not that tough). At least 6 services seems pretty easy - Checking Account, Debit Card, Online Bill Payment, Savings/Money Market, Direct Deposit, CD (not really good rates considering the 5.25% offered by middlesex). 6 services fetch you 600 points.

However, the value of these points, whether you get 800 or 600 per month, will increase if you can match them with flight points from PP Elite (I am not sure about this, anyone here have experience??) Citi card.

No way you can match those points to PP flight points.

didYOUsearch said: makeinu said: didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

No.

see my link in my post above. Im earning 5%+ in each of the top three accounts in that thread, and NONE required a $100k balance.

interesting considering they are PROMOS and one isnt FDIC insured (for those uncomfy with priv. insurance)

anyways, this threads purpose was to tell people about citibanks esavings and a way to get more points
not for people to come and thread crap about oh blah blah theres better rates at some other bank that has some restrictions.

for someone who has been on fatwallet so long, i would expect you of most people to not do this type of thing

propcgamer said:
interesting considering they are PROMOS and one isnt FDIC insured (for those uncomfy with priv. insurance)

anyways, this threads purpose was to tell people about citibanks esavings and a way to get more points
not for people to come and thread crap about oh blah blah theres better rates at some other bank that has some restrictions.
ING/HSBC and Citis 4.5% esavings are ALSO promos..whats your point??

i just asked whether its truly a better financial deal to keep a large balance at 4.5% and get some thankyou points, when other banks are offering up to 5.5% on the balance

didYOUsearch said: propcgamer said: didYOUsearch said: but if youre only getting 4.5% on your 6-10k or more (as opposed to the 5% + available at many banks) isnt it costing you more than the value of the extra thankyou points??

maybe bc there are several

None of the top 3 required a $100k deposit. And even HSBC/ING are "promo rates" so you cant discount these other accounts paying over 5%

Whoa, Everbank has 5.51% checking plus a $50 bonus for putting my money back in HSBC after 3 months? That's a no-brainer. Now, if only Citi would let me have another card so I could BT myself into this deal at the same time... (Co-branded AMEX gets no respect...)

didYOUsearch said: see my link in my post above. Im earning 5%+ in each of the top three accounts in that thread, and NONE required a $100k balance.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The highest rates in your thread are all CDs, accounts without FDIC insurance, and promo rates. The effective 5.5% of the citi account is not a promo and it still matches the highest rate in your thread. A far cry from "costing you more than the extra points".

didYOUsearch said: ING/HSBC and Citis 4.5% esavings are ALSO promos..whats your point??

i just asked whether its truly a better financial deal to keep a large balance at 4.5% and get some thankyou points, when other banks are offering up to 5.5% on the balance

Wrong again. Citi's 4.5%+1% is the standard rate, not a promo.

You weren't just asking because I answered your question quite thoroughly, yet you're still arguing.

JeebusSaves said: Whoa, Everbank has 5.51% checking plus a $50 bonus for putting my money back in HSBC after 3 months? That's a no-brainer. Now, if only Citi would let me have another card so I could BT myself into this deal at the same time... (Co-branded AMEX gets no respect...)

And you can get an extra $200 if you open a citi checking account for this deal. Don't let didYOUsearch's arrogance fool you. No matter how you slice it the Citi deal is heads and shoulders above any other liquid cash equivalent out there at the moment.

didYOUsearch said: propcgamer said:

ING/HSBC and Citis 4.5% esavings are ALSO promos..whats your point??

you dont even have to keep a large balance at 4.5% to get the points...

makeinu said: didYOUsearch said: see my link in my post above. Im earning 5%+ in each of the top three accounts in that thread, and NONE required a $100k balance.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The highest rates in your thread are all CDs, accounts without FDIC insurance, and promo rates. The effective 5.5% of the citi account is not a promo and it still matches the highest rate in your thread. A far cry from "costing you more than the extra points".

didYOUsearch said: ING/HSBC and Citis 4.5% esavings are ALSO promos..whats your point??

Wrong again. Citi's 4.5%+1% is the standard rate, not a promo.

You weren't just asking because I answered your question quite thoroughly, yet your still arguing.

thank you!!!

dont forget, that this is also kinda a B&M bank account (if you have citibanks near you), so thats an awsome rate for a B&M bank!

Another small advantage would be that the Thank You Points are not taxed, as income from interest would be.

Let's say I invest $6,000 in a "The Citibank Account" and have six services, one of which is a 6 month CD at a promo rate of 4.65%.

That yields 600 TH points per month=7,200 per year = $72 in gift cards (tax free)

CD
For arguments sake, let's say the $1,500 CD earns the 4.65% promo rate advertised for a full year.

e-savings
4.5% (not sure where it says this is a promo rate)

1.2% tax free from points on $6k + 4.54(wtd avg yield from esavings and CD) * 0.65 (for taxes) = 4.15% after tax yield for the top marginal tax rate people
That's a little better than 5%(0.65) = 3.25% after tax yield

Obviously, a little different if you are at a lower marginal tax rate.

Another Plus is that it's Citibank, so you're sticking it to the man. That's more fun than sticking it to some poor Patels over at Patelco.

Great thread OP.

Again, I simply asked whether its worth it keeping large balances at citi just to get extra thankyou points. It has nothing to do with the $200 checking deal.

Lets get facts straight if you want to argue them:

1. world savings is a B&M bank/S&L. And their "CD' was a LIQUID CD (aka a SAVINGS ACCOUNT).

2. Patelco is a B&M credit union. and its not owned by Patels. its short for Pacific Telephone credit Union.

3. citibanks e-savings IS A PROMO RATE. take the time to read their disclosures carefully, you would discover that. But whoever reads disclosures right? I do.

Makeinu, at least get your facts straight if you want to argue. Nearly every one of your statements about the other banks is incorrect.

Well, they're still Patels. Just different Patels.

To answer DYS's question: This account may not warrant large balances, but it likely does warrant a $6,000 investment, as long as the rate is at 4.5%.

I spoke to a CSR about this recently, and they let me know that if you want to reduce an account to EZ from a higher level, to avoid higher min. balance requirements, you can do so at any time, w/o closing an account. So, I don't see a downside on the $6k.

didYOUsearch said: Again, I simply asked whether its worth it keeping large balances at citi just to get extra thankyou points. It has nothing to do with the $200 checking deal.

Lets get facts straight if you want to argue them:

1. world savings is a B&M bank/S&L. And their "CD' was a LIQUID CD (aka a SAVINGS ACCOUNT).

2. Patelco is a B&M credit union. and its not owned by Patels. its short for Pacific Telephone credit Union.

3. citibanks e-savings IS A PROMO RATE. take the time to read their disclosures carefully, you would discover that. But whoever reads disclosures right? I do.

Makeinu, at least get your facts straight if you want to argue. Nearly every one of your statements about the other banks is incorrect.

How many times are you going to ask if it is worth it? Yes, it is worth it. I did the analysis and the effective rate when thankyou points are included is 5.5%.

Why do you keep bringing up the details of these other accounts? None of them are greater than 5.5% and they are all promos. So it doesn't matter whether they are "liquid cds" or owned by Patels, nor does it matter whether the e-savings is a promo (which it isn't; I read the disclosure), because none of them are greater than 5.5%.

If you want to get the facts straight then here they are: If you take full advantage of the offer discussed in this thread (without using BT) then the effective interest rate is 5.5%, which is the highest of any available savings account. Period. That is the only fact that is relevant to this thread.

jsantab428 said: Well, they're still Patels. Just different Patels.

To answer DYS's question: This account may not warrant large balances, but it likely does warrant a $6,000 investment, as long as the rate is at 4.5%.

I spoke to a CSR about this recently, and they let me know that if you want to reduce an account to EZ from a higher level, to avoid higher min. balance requirements, you can do so at any time, w/o closing an account. So, I don't see a downside on the $6k.

IMO, the real deal is that you don't need to invest anything. All you have to do is take a BT.

Makeinu:

The yield on higher balances wouldn't work out to 5.5%. The most points you can earn are like 14,400, right? So, let's say that's $144 in gift cards. On $10k, yeah, cool, the combination of the points and 4.5% is great, somewhere north of 5%

But if you have a higher balance....and the points cap at 14,400.... then that rate isn't going to still be north of 5%

If you have 100k, those 14,400 points are only worth a total of 0.1%! Putting the total yield at 4.6%, making other accounts a better option.

So both of you are a little right. It's a good account, but at higher balances, it's not as attractive.

jsantab428 said: Makeinu:

The yield on higher balances wouldn't work out to 5.5%. The most points you can earn are like 14,400, right? So, let's say that's $144 in gift cards. On $10k, yeah, cool, the combination of the points and 4.5% is great, somewhere north of 5%

But if you have a higher balance....and the points cap at 14,400.... then that rate isn't going to still be north of 5%

If you have 100k, those 14,400 points are only worth a total of 0.1%! Putting the total yield at 4.6%, making other accounts a better option.

So both of you are a little right. It's a good account, but at higher balances, it's not as attractive.

Higher balances is a different story (you don't get more points for higher balances). DYI was asking about whether it was worth putting in the $6000 minimum. I gave him the answer, but he doesn't like it.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would opt to put $6000 in when you have the option of taking $6000 out to invest elsewhere.

Ok, good point. BT is the way to go, if you have the option. Although you still gotta fund the CD as one of the services.

Now lemmee see if I can get a BT offer...where's that citi retention thread

FW has all the answers

didYOUsearch said: 3. citibanks e-savings IS A PROMO RATE. take the time to read their disclosures carefully, you would discover that. But whoever reads disclosures right? I do.

Where does it say it is a PROMO Rate, i don't see it?

Citi charges $3 for ACH transfer from their accounts to other bank. I prefer virtualbank with their 4.6% APY.

alphnasx said: Where does it say it is a PROMO Rate, i don't see it?

It doesn't say it anywhere. The section called "promotional disclosure" within the disclosure is blank.

didYOUsearch just has a bad case of hubris, so he'll never realize his mistake and continue spouting misinformation indefinitely.

First off just so you know you only need to put $500 in a CD at Citibank and it counts as a product. No reason to get crazy and put more in at a lousy rate. Also if you have an IRA with Citibank you can open a CD with $250 and that will also count as a product.

To get 7 products is super easy with Citibank.

1. Checking account any type
2. ATM card
3. E-savings account
4. use web based bill pay
5. ACH transfer from ING counts as Direct deposit. I transfer $5 a month from ING and it counts
6. open a CD either in an IRA for $250 or normal CD for $500
7. Checking Plus downside $5 annual fee or get Ready Credit which has no annual fee and is a personal unsecured loan which dont have to draw against.

Also If you have first mortgage with Citibank they will count the balance at 40% towards you checking account requirements. Also with The Citibank Account, Everything counts accounts and Citigold they will count everything in your brokerage account towards the balance requirements.

Dont get me wrong Citibank rates are not the highest rates. But if you consider the fact they are largest Bank in the world and you factor in some of the other benfits they do offer. Also if you transfer in stock or Mutual funds into Citibank they will count thoses towards your balance requirements too. So if you plan on holding on to your mutual funds for the next 10 years what is the differnce if you park them with Fidelity or Citibank?

I will disclose I am a little baised towards Citibank because I bank with them. I also have accounts at BofA and I think Citibank is much better bank. They benfits are much beter than what BofA gives you. I have a private bank accounts with both Banks. Citibank is a lot more generous when it comes to benfits.

dolmar said: 7. Checking Plus downside $5 annual fee or get Ready Credit which has no annual fee and is a personal unsecured loan which dont have to draw against.

Checking Plus is free for New Yorkers.

here's the best way to get the 800 monthly TY points at citibank:
open a "Citibank Package" checking acct w/ $1
stick 4k for tax year 2005 and 1500 for 2006 into a no fee citibank roth ira.
stick it in some of their (few) no load funds or their IRA flexCD which pays about a 5% variable rate.
open a $500 CD at their promo rate (currently the 6 month).
open an e-savings acct w/ $1
get a debit card
get free checking plus
do 1 monthly automatic transfer from ing/hsbc into the account to qualify for direct deposit.
pay 2 bills online every moth (they can be checks mailed to yourself for $1 if you want).
voila: 800 thank you points monthly w/o fees.

balances in IRA's count for the Citibank accounts 6k minnimum.
I confess i have done the above and it works like a charm. However, i open all accounts in B&M except esavings and the CD.

BTW: B&M usually has higher rates on everything citibank online offers. example: interest checking opened in a branch is .5% and not .25%. their 7 month CD pays more (it's 4.7%) than online's 6 month CD, but, it requires a $2500 minnimum.

wilsonshmilson said:
BTW: B&M usually has higher rates on everything citibank online offers. example: interest checking opened in a branch is .5% and not .25%. their 7 month CD pays more (it's 4.7%) than online's 6 month CD, but, it requires a $2500 minnimum.

really? you would think it would be the other way around!
I will have to goto the B&M around here next time I want to open stuff.

makeinu said: dolmar said: 7. Checking Plus downside $5 annual fee or get Ready Credit which has no annual fee and is a personal unsecured loan which dont have to draw against.
Checking Plus is free for New Yorkers.

Yup. Not sure why but it's a great deal, especially since you only pay the interest until you pay it back.

BTW I assume there is no signup bonus (free stuff) for opening the e-Savings account?

Don't mean to ask a stupid question but I have an EZ Checking acct now. If I convert to a Citibank Account and open an e-savings, can I keep $6,000 in the e-savings to satisfy the min. requirement?

Thanks fellas.

WhiteGhostLover said: Don't mean to ask a stupid question but I have an EZ Checking acct now. If I convert to a Citibank Account and open an e-savings, can I keep $6,000 in the e-savings to satisfy the min. requirement?

Thanks fellas.

Yes, that's what "combined average balance" means.

Lol...looks like this thread is finally getting back to addressing what it was meant to. Thanks for the great post, OP. I'm almost done graduating college, and have already had an e-savings, so once I get a job and make more money, I'll definitely be able to save up and switch over to The Citibank Account for those higher points. I have to say, too, I love Citibank and am slightly biased too, but I love Citibank postings, hehe. Their rates are very competitive, I think, when I can get 4.5% on an account that I can withdraw money from at an ATM anywhere and or transfer money to checking like that. That, to me, beats any interest anywhere else, especially when the others aren't really much more than a half percent above, if even that.

mikesay98 said: I'm almost done graduating college, and have already had an e-savings, so once I get a job and make more money, I'll definitely be able to save up and switch over to The Citibank Account for those higher points.

when I can get 4.5% on an account that I can withdraw money from at an ATM anywhere and or transfer money to checking like that. That, to me, beats any interest anywhere else, especially when the others aren't really much more than a half percent above, if even that.
and WHEN you get out of school , get a job and finally have some decent $$, youll realize that:

1. 0.5% extra is far more important once you accumulate significant deposits than some points program
2. this points program will likely be discontinued by then anyway

I understand the core demographic of FW is college kids, hence the popularity with no min balance accounts.

didYOUsearch said: 3. citibanks e-savings IS A PROMO RATE. take the time to read their disclosures carefully, you would discover that. Can you provide some reference to this? I am looking at the entire "Disclosures and Agreement" and searching on promo does not reveal any such language.

using a search program wont find "promo" i doubt they use the word "promo".. banks dont write like that in their T&Cs.

You might actually need to read the thing - they talk about how the rate is not guaranteed and will change at any time they desire.

My mailed terms say "the above rates apply to accounts opened through Citibank Online and may change after your account is opened". Anyone expecting this to be some kind of 4.5% guaranteed not to change rate is fooling themselves.

didYOUsearch said: using a search program wont find "promo" i doubt they use the word "promo".. banks dont write like that in their T&Cs.

You might actually need to read the thing - they talk about how the rate is not guaranteed and will change at any time they desire.

My mailed terms say "the above rates apply to accounts opened through Citibank Online and may change after your account is opened". Anyone expecting this to be some kind of 4.5% guaranteed not to change rate is fooling themselves.
Hmmm....I don't consider that a promo rate; How is that language different then any other savings account that we are discussing including the ones you are advocating - do they guarantee that their rates will never go down?

Skipping 129 Messages...
tolamapS said: Thanks, andrewli. Very useful to know.

Do you know if the balances on a CITI credit card count towards the $6K required for the Citibank(R) account in order not to get charged fees?

Yes if the accounts are linked and they are both personal. A business CC balance will not help meet the limit for a personal account.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014