• filter:
  • 177787980 81
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Oh, I didn't realize they have a partnership with SPG, hmm, do you think I should apply for the SPG instead of the Blue Cash Preferred in my next AOR, imbatman? I will let my brother know about the Amex SPG for sure. What are my chances of going for both on the same day with my current wallet posted above?

rated:
The only amex processed card you have is Costco. You may be able to get both. As to which you should get? I dunno. Only uoi know what makes sense for you. You didn't say you frequented Vegas. If you don't, the rewards card you mentioned definitely doesn't make sense. I dunno if you would get value from spg or not

rated:
The JetBlue Amex appears on my Amex login page so when I pay my bill they are both there, so I think it is processed by Amex too. That is actually a pretty decent card, I'm surprised I rarely see anyone mention it. Current offer is 20,000 points with $1,000 in spending in first three months, 8 points for purchases made directly with JetBlue, 1 point for all other purchases, annual fee waived for first year. Also, you can get a $50.00 statement credit once per year if you book one of their getaway packages, which is a round-trip flight plus either hotel, and/or car rental. Fee after the first year is only $35.00. Hmm, I guess I will try for both on the next AOR. I want to travel more, just haven't had the time/money, hopefully with my continuing understanding of how to earn rewards, I will change that

*edit* I clarified today that a getaways package must include hotel, and not just flight and car rental only, kind of a bummer

rated:
Okay, just launched my first App-O-Rama. We're starting a business.

Quizzle puts my credit score pre-AOR at about 795. I started all the apps just after midnight. Here's what happened:

Discover - APPROVED - amount unknown
Chase Slate - APPROVED - $15,000
Citi Simplicity - REJECTED
Citi Diamond Preferred- REJECTED
BarclayCard Rewards- APPROVED $10,000
Chase Freedom- APPROVED - $10,700
BankAmericard Visa- NO IMMEDIATE DECISION
US Bank Platinum- "CANNOT RECEIVE APP?" (Rejected? Website Down?)
Citi Thank You Preferred Visa- NOT TRIED AFTER TWO OTHER CITI REJECTIONS
AMEX Blue Cash Everday- APPROVED amount unknown
CapitalOne Platinum Prestige- APPROVED, $10,000

Given what happened, any tips/insights?

rated:
What are you current cards before the AOR? Did you have a rocky relationship with Citi in the past?

rated:
Pre-AOR cards include one from Chase which we pay off every month. Never had a relationship with Citi previously. Had 2 more longtime cards closed in 2010 due to inactivity. Have paid every bill on time for everything since the late 1990s.

In terms of getting the BTs, is calling and requesting checks made out to me the best way? Has anyone had any luck with consolidating credit limits and then asking on the same inbound call?

rated:
webid said:   Citi Simplicity - REJECTED
Citi Diamond Preferred- REJECTED

Why did you apply twice. I think it was a waste of Inquiry.
If you rejected for one card means you will get rejected for other cards from same company. Risk criteria would not differ from one product to another.

rated:
Newbie mistake.  I thought perhaps different cards had different qualifying criteria.  Clearly I was wrong and in retrospect wouldn't do it again.  If anyone has had recent (say 2013) success with consolidating credit limits, I'd love to hear their perspective.  I'll do my best to provide a running commentary here since I've found so many of the other entries helpful.  Thanks to one and all!

rated:
I'd call Citi's reconsideration line, and ask why you are unable to get one of their cards, especially if your score is that high.

rated:
Did a mini AOR last night mainly for hotel points.

Chase IHG - Approved
Chase Marriot - Approved
Amex SPG - Approved
Amex Hilton - Pending
Citi Hilton - Approved

What's the odd that the Amex Hilton will be approved?

rated:
Difficult for anyone to guess without knowing your specific situation.

You should call up the recon line and just ask about your application. They may just have some questions for you.

rated:
It's been 4 months since my last application and my credit score has recovered to 791 so I'm looking to do a mini-AOR in the next few days, focusing on Cash Back and cash equivalents since we don't travel very often.  My FICO score is 790.  Current cards held:

• Amex Blue Cash Everyday 
  • Amex Starwood Preferred (planning to open Business version in 5 months, transfer miles, and then close Personal version)
  • Bank of America Cash Rewards
  • Barclay's Arrival World MasterCard (AF version, will likely downgrade to no AF in 6 months)
  • Capital One World MasterCard 
  • Capital One Quicksilver Visa
  • Citi TY Preferred (converted from Premier)
  • Chase Ink Bold 
  • Chase Ink Cash
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Discover
  • Discover IT
  • PenFed Cash
  • US Bank Linux Fund

I'm looking at:

• Amex Blue (the old one with 5% category unlimited rewards after spending $6k)
  • Amex SimplyCash Business ($250 statement credit)

Questionable:

• Capital One Venture card (20k mile bonus)
  • Citi Dividend Platinum ($100 bonus)

It looks like the Venture and Dividend card have had higher signup bonuses in the past.  Is it worth taking them now just to complete an AOR or wait until higher bonuses return?

After that, I'm not really sure what else is out there.  I'm mainly interested in cash and cash equivalents such as easy to use gift cards, or points that can be quickly sold to the various point brokers.  I don't want to acquire Delta Skymiles and wait 3 months for them to see if they successfully transfer out.  Any suggestions on other cards out there worth a credit check?

rated:
chunkalunk said:   Difficult for anyone to guess without knowing your specific situation.

You should call up the recon line and just ask about your application. They may just have some questions for you.

Called the recon line and was told to wait 4-5 days.  Checked the status online today and got approved.  Thanks.

rated:
thuyswallet said:   
chunkalunk said:   Difficult for anyone to guess without knowing your specific situation.

Called the recon line and was told to wait 4-5 days.  Checked the status online today and got approved.  Thanks.

NP.

now get to work on those min. spends to get your bonuses!

rated:
I have the following put together for my first AOR. Looking for points/miles. Only other CCs are Amex BC and Discover IT (normal spend).

For Sure:
Barclays Arrival
Citi AAdvantage
British Airways Avios

Probably:
Chase Saphire Preferred

Maybe:
Chase MilagePlus
Starwood

Thoughts?

rated:
Apply for Barclays first. They can be finicky about credit pulls.

Go for Starwood as well. In general, applying for 1 card per issuer/bank during an AOR should result in pretty good success.

Definitely apply for one of the Chase cards (if anything, just to start a relationship with them). That being said, they may be reluctant to approve both CSP and Explorer for someone with no existing Chase relationship (that's just speculation and things I've read. Otherwise, getting 2 Chase cards approved during 1 AOR is certainly possible)

rated:
Barclays, Starwood and AAdvantage (50k bonus) approved. British Airways, AAdvantage Exec, and Chase Ink Bold pending.

rated:
I blog and was inspired by all this info, so I did a write-up here: http://www.happydoctorblog.com/make-money-travel-for-free-with-c...
If it's completely useless then I apologize. Here's my list for an upcoming AOR though:
My requirements: $0 Annual fee or waived annual fee 1st year
My current cards: Priceline from Barclays, Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage, Chase Ink Plus Business, Blue Cash Preferred Amex

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 40,000 points ($3,000 spend)
IHG Rewards Club Select: 60,000 points ($1,000 spend)
Gold Delta SkyMiles: 30,000 miles + $50 credit ($1,000 spend)
Hilton HHonors American Express: 40,000 Hilton points ($750 spend)
Capital One VentureOne: 20,000 miles ($2,000 spend)
Citi Hilton HHonors Visa: 40,000 Hilton points ($1,000 spend)
CitiBusiness/AAdvantage World MasterCard: 30,000 points ($1,000 spend)
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: 40,000 miles ($3,000 spend)
Frontier Airlines World MasterCard: 40,000 miles ($500 spend) + 10,000 miles for balance transfers (I won’t partake)[prob 1 too many from Barclays but I'll give it a go anyway]

rated:
How strong is the "Only four personal Amex" total "rule"? I'm starting to think that JetBlue card I picked up is not going to be something I want in my wallet if they are really strict about that since there are far better options if Amex is weird about a customer wanting more than four of their cards at the same time.

rated:
Maverick915 said:   It's been 4 months since my last application and my credit score has recovered to 791 so I'm looking to do a mini-AOR in the next few days, focusing on Cash Back and cash equivalents since we don't travel very often.  My FICO score is 790.  Current cards held:

• Amex Blue Cash Everyday 
  • Amex Starwood Preferred (planning to open Business version in 5 months, transfer miles, and then close Personal version)
  • Bank of America Cash Rewards
  • Barclay's Arrival World MasterCard (AF version, will likely downgrade to no AF in 6 months)
  • Capital One World MasterCard 
  • Capital One Quicksilver Visa
  • Citi TY Preferred (converted from Premier)
  • Chase Ink Bold 
  • Chase Ink Cash
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Discover
  • Discover IT
  • PenFed Cash
  • US Bank Linux Fund

I'm looking at:

• Amex Blue (the old one with 5% category unlimited rewards after spending $6k)
  • Amex SimplyCash Business ($250 statement credit)

Questionable:

• Capital One Venture card (20k mile bonus)
  • Citi Dividend Platinum ($100 bonus)

It looks like the Venture and Dividend card have had higher signup bonuses in the past.  Is it worth taking them now just to complete an AOR or wait until higher bonuses return?

After that, I'm not really sure what else is out there.  I'm mainly interested in cash and cash equivalents such as easy to use gift cards, or points that can be quickly sold to the various point brokers.  I don't want to acquire Delta Skymiles and wait 3 months for them to see if they successfully transfer out.  Any suggestions on other cards out there worth a credit check?

I ended up just applying for the Amex Blue (Immediate Approval) and Amex SimplyCash (Approved after 4 days).  Not sure if this will result in 1 pull or 2.  

rated:
Do you get the option to pick which 3% reward category you want on the Simplycash card, and if so what are the categories?  If you know.  

rated:
I haven't received the card yet or signed into the website yet so I've been unable to look at the 3% categories.

Also, CreditSesame shows a separate inquiry from AMEX 6 days after the first.

rated:
I did a relatively small AOR last week.

Credit scores 770-805.Discover IT: APPROVED $7000
Chase Freedom: APROVED $6500
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred:  APPROVED $9800
Chase Sapphire Preferred: APPROVED $10,800
Chase Ink: PENDING, then APPROVED $6000
CapOne Quicksilver: REJECTED
Wells Fargo: REJECTED

The CapOne rejection was a surprise. I have only one CapOne card with a modest limit. The rejection letter said it was because of too many recent inquiries on Experian, Trans Union and Equifax. Did they really pull all three credit reports?? Before this AOR, I only had 0-2 inquiries on each bureau, so it seems they rejected me on the inquiries in the previous hour. The back of the letter said my credit score on Experian was 773 (datapoint: the Blue Cash approval gave Experian score of 790, so apparently there was a 17 point drop between the pulls). The Wells Fargo rejection was expected since I didn't have a "relationship" with them.

For the Chase Ink, I called and had to go into excruciating detail about my legitimate business (sales for 2011?).

Surprising was my Equifax credit score of 805 from Discover. Since I've never had a mortgage or  loan of any type and only a decade long credit history, I didn't think 800 was possible.

rated:
Did a mini yesterday. Just wanted some more rewards cards.

Scores around 760.

Chase Sapphire Preferred, 8,000 approved.
Amex Blue Cash Everyday approved. Don't know CL yet. I'll call the number later.

rated:
Yes, Cap One pulls all three bureaus, so make sure you really want their card, and I'd save it for last.

rated:
Its all good. but somebody feedback me.

rated:
I'm planning to do another AOR in the next week or two. I have the following cards and a FICO score of 755 according to Discover.

Since I started last August I've opened the following:

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (15k)
AMEX Blue Cash (8k)
AMEX Delta Gold (15k)
CSP (18k)
Chase United Explorer (11k)
Chase Ink Plus (5k)
Citi AAdvantage personal (20k)

I also have a Discover with 15k CL.

Back in March I applied for the 3x CL on the AMEX BC and was denied due to too much credit across all banks. Not a big deal, as come September I should be able to move credit over to that one for MS from the Delta Gold and BCE.

I'd like to increase my pool of AA miles with the goal of using them next year for first class to Europe. I'm a little confused on the Citi churn...correct me if I'm wrong, but I can hold multiples of the AA card, so I could apply for another one, then 8 days later apply for a 3rd one?

So I'm looking at a mini-AOR involving the following:

Chase Ink Bold
Citi AAdvantage x2?
Barclay's Arrival
AMEX SPG Personal and/or Business

I considered the Citi AA Executive but the upfront fee is not in the budget at the moment unfortunately. I have not begun acquiring hotel cards, which I figure on doing perhaps this fall so I can use the free night bonuses before the annual fee hits (figuring on a May/June trip next year).

One final question, when I apply for the Ink Bold I assume I'll need to call reconsideration, since I had to for the Ink Plus. Assuming I use the same business that I did for the first one (I am a hobbyist woodworker with zero to minimal revenue), how can I best express the need for a charge card in addition to a credit card?

Thanks!

rated:
Haven't done an AOR in 7 years (yeah, i know... the shame).

Question:  Do the CRA report inquiries in real time now? I ask because I am doing an AOR and I KNOW I will not get many instant approvals, so I'll be talking to the reconsideration line. I'll be using multiple browsers, but if things are real time now, they'll see all the other inquiries.

If that's the case, I'm thinking I would want to first apply for the Barclay's Arrival card (a card I really want) alone first. Then talk to Barclay's reconsideration, and THEN do the rest of my AOR (2 each Chase, Amex and Citi).

posting here is kinda nostalgic. my last aor was during the crisis when the weak banks were paying 5% (thanks WAMU) and (seemingly) strong banks were still giving 12-18 mo interest free checks and 30-50k credit lines. I had $340k at 5% for 13 months. free $ at its best...

rated:
notblake said:   Haven't done an AOR in 7 years (yeah, i know... the shame).

I had $340k at 5% for 13 months. free $ at its best...

You mean free money for the banks?

rated:
laurg said:   
notblake said:   Haven't done an AOR in 7 years (yeah, i know... the shame).

I had $340k at 5% for 13 months. free $ at its best...

You mean free money for the banks?

no.... you misunderstand. $340k interest free loan invested @ 5% for 13 months was about $18,500 to ME. like i said, free $ at its best.

rated:
What do you like about the Barclay card?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 177787980 81
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014