• filter:
  • 177 78 79808184
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Crap. Thank you.

Should I try and stick with just 2 max personals? I'll take a look around for business offers. I may swap the Gold Amex for a Gold business premier rewards at 50k bonus with $5k spend.

rated:
depends. What's your prior relationship with amex and chase (how many cards do you already have)?

rated:
I don't have any. I'm all Citi which is why I'm only going with the 1 AAdvantage card from them.

rated:
Amex PRG does occasionally have 50k/$1k spend signup offers on the personal card, so you consider deferring that app and just apply for one Amex.

rated:
I ran my small AOR this morning without much success. These are the cards I ended up applying for:

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 40k bonus - $3000 spend
Chase Ink Plus - 50k bonus - $5000 spend
Barclays Arrival Signature Visa - 40k bonus - $1000 spend
Delta Gold Amex - 50k bonus $1000 spend
Blue Cash Everyday - $150 bonus - $500 spend
Citi Aadvantage world mastercard - 30k bonus - $1000 spend
Alaska Airlines Signature Visa - 25k bonus upon approval

Approved for Barclays, Alaska, Delta. I called Citi's recon line and even with trying to leverage that I've been a customer for 13 years for all of their products they wouldn't budge on making me wait a week for approval.

I called Chase thinking first I'd reach out to them about the CSP then the Ink. The analyst said because I completed the Ink application first, the CSP would be rejected. I asked if there was anything he could do since I would be using the two cards for totally different applications - instructed me to hold as he checked my credit report. The rep was very curt, almost belligerent after he saw all of the inquiries from the other apps. He said id get notification by mail.

I have not called yet for the Bluecash card.

Lessons learned -

1) Only one card request for issuers I have no relationship with.

2) Better to do the apps in the middle of the day than early morning. I did the sign ups at 6 AM was unable to call recon until 8 for most banks.

3) Fill out apps in order of preference as each issuer will have a block in for the second request.

FYI my credit karma score is 780 and sesame is 744.

rated:
Is the Delta Gold Amex 50k targeted?

rated:
Yeah.

I actually got approved for 5 of the 7 cards total listed above. The ones that I was declined for were the Chase Sapphire that I applied to after the Chase Ink (and brought up a red flag for their system) and the Citi Aadvantage card, that one I have no idea why I was declined.

rated:
Can anyone remind me of that one useful web site where you enter your social security # and it tells you what card offers you would likely qualify for? Thank you.

rated:
Epik said:   Can anyone remind me of that one useful web site where you enter your social security # and it tells you what card offers you would likely qualify for? Thank you.

www.debentureboy.com

Please also enter your DL number and mother's maiden name.

Sorry... couldn't resist the low hanging fruit... Meant in fun.

All seriousness aside, a few of the credit monitoring services will suggest cards for you, as will ba nk ra te .com. Be very leery -- they are often sponsored links, not genuine good advice. Read the FWF credit card sticky, go to CreditBoards and do your own research.

rated:
Epik said:   Can anyone remind me of that one useful web site where you enter your social security # and it tells you what card offers you would likely qualify for? Thank you.
One service is https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/
But, you don't need to enter your SSN to get the offers! Name and address are sufficient.

rated:
bytem3 said:   Epik said:   Can anyone remind me of that one useful web site where you enter your social security # and it tells you what card offers you would likely qualify for? Thank you.
One service is https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/
But, you don't need to enter your SSN to get the offers! Name and address are sufficient.


That's the one! Thanks.

rated:
This might now be possible now, but how would you deposit the money from the credit card to a bank account without being charged cash advance APR instead of the 0%? What is the best rate in a bank account at the moment?

rated:
With deposit account rates as low as they are, I don't think that balance transfer rate arbitrage is generally the way to do AORs these days, but maybe others would disagree. Seems like most focus on sign-up bonuses/rewards now.

If you're looking for higher than average rates, look for threads on rewards checking accounts and prepaid/savings linked accounts (e.g. Momentum, Mango). Make sure you understand the monthly requirements for direct deposit, minimum number of transactions, etc., though.

rated:
I'm starting to put together a list to do my first AoR (going small, 3-4 cards probably so I can make sure I hit my spend limits). I have a couple questions:

1. My co-worker received a mailing for a AMEX Business Platinum card with 100k bonus for $10k spend. He is not interested in using it, can I use his targeted offer or is it linked to him?

2. Do those of you doing AoR with cards that carry annual fees (the above cards has a $450/yr fee), or if they are waived for the first year, do you typically cancel the card after the first year or maintain the card?

3. I've been reading about using Bluebird and Vanilla Reloads to manufacture spending, but it seems like it can be tricky to pull off. I had planned to keep my first AoR to what I know I can spend on regular purchases over the next few months. How time consuming does it end up being trying to find vendors that will allow credit card purchases on these types of debit reloads?

rated:
skeemer said:   I'm starting to put together a list to do my first AoR (going small, 3-4 cards probably so I can make sure I hit my spend limits). I have a couple questions:

1. My co-worker received a mailing for a AMEX Business Platinum card with 100k bonus for $10k spend. He is not interested in using it, can I use his targeted offer or is it linked to him?

2. Do those of you doing AoR with cards that carry annual fees (the above cards has a $450/yr fee), or if they are waived for the first year, do you typically cancel the card after the first year or maintain the card?

3. I've been reading about using Bluebird and Vanilla Reloads to manufacture spending, but it seems like it can be tricky to pull off. I had planned to keep my first AoR to what I know I can spend on regular purchases over the next few months. How time consuming does it end up being trying to find vendors that will allow credit card purchases on these types of debit reloads?


1. depends, you can try it.
2. depends, I keep some, I cancel some for various reasons
3. not tricky. takes me around 4 minutes.

rated:
Damn, wish I would have read this before I did my application process near the end of July, I screwed that up and my credit dipped more than I thought it would. I already had the Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards Visa, the Costco Amex, and the regular Citi Thank You card. I recently heard about the US Bank choose your 5% rewards, and went and applied at the bank and was approved no problem. A few days later when logging into Citi, I saw a promotion for the Citi Preferred Thank You card that had a 20,000 bonus point reward if you spent 1,500 in the first few months, so I applied for that and got it no problem. The next day I came across the CC thread in this forum, and I noticed there were a few must have cards for my type of spending. One was the Fidelity 2% everywhere Amex, and the other was the Citi Forward because I am back in school, love going to movies, eating out, and shopping on Amazon, seemed like the perfect card for me. I didn't get instant approval for the Fidelity Amex, which surprised me since I had the Costco Amex for nearly a year, it ended up getting approved and coming in the mail. I got a rejection letter for the Forward card, and was annoyed at that. They said I had a delinquency on my Transunion (which was so weird since Citi had approved me for two other cards no problem), so I called and spoke to the Frontline person, she had no information for me other than I should review the report from Transunion and look for errors, I could tell she was reading from scripts whenever I asked her questions on why was I approved for two other cards, the Preferred appearing to be a higher level card etc. I could see I wasn't getting anywhere with her, so I requested a supervisor to help me better understand. He looked it over a few seconds, and was puzzled at why it wasn't approved, and ran it again and it went through. I wonder if it was because of applying for the Thank You preferred card that this happened?

Oh, well, I have four solid new cards that will get a lot of use, and I've learned some important lessons on how to properly do an App-o-Rama multiple application process in the future for the best success, and the least hit to your credit. I also ran across this article http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/credit-card-affect-on-credit-s... the author has some solid points, he recommends waiting at least 90 days between doing an App-o-Rama. Do you think that is solid advice?

rated:
skeemer said:   
3. I've been reading about using Bluebird and Vanilla Reloads to manufacture spending, but it seems like it can be tricky to pull off. I had planned to keep my first AoR to what I know I can spend on regular purchases over the next few months. How time consuming does it end up being trying to find vendors that will allow credit card purchases on these types of debit reloads?


VRs end up being the easiest of the MS tricks I use.

rated:
So I looked up the Bluebird stuff, and tried to see if I could find a Vanilla Reload card, the only place I could fine one was at 7-11, and I tried to purchase it for 490.00 on two different cards, and I got declined saying it was not allowed. I checked one Walgreen's tonight but they didn't have any, and will try some of the office stores. I live in Utah, not sure if we are like California, where most places will only take cash or debit for these, hmm

*Update* Not sure if it is easier to use a rewards credit card for the Green Dot reload cards, but they are way more common from what I've seen. I should read and research better before signing up for stuff lol. You can only have one Amex Prepaid card either the Amex Bluebird, OR the Amex Serve, not both. The Bluebird has more "features" but both cards allow you to link to your checking account and transfer cash to it, and the Serve card uses the Green Dot reload instead which also works for Paypal. I already signed up for Bluebird tonight, and Amex customer service wouldn't let me switch. Depending on where you are in the country, I'd try purchasing either the Green Dot, or the Vanilla Reload and see if one works before choosing the Amex prepaid service that goes along with it

rated:
checked one Walgreen's tonight but they didn't have any, and will try some of the office stores. I live in Utah, not sure if we are like California, where most places will only take cash or debit for these, hmm

*Update* Not sure if it is easier to use a rewards credit card for the Green Dot reload cards, but they are way more common from what I've seen. I should read and research better before signing up for stuff lol. You can only have one Amex Prepaid card either the Amex Bluebird, OR the Amex Serve, not both. The Bluebird has more "features" but both cards allow you to link to your checking account and transfer cash to it, and the Serve card uses the Green Dot reload instead which also works for Paypal. I already signed up for Bluebird tonight, and Amex customer service wouldn't let me switch. Depending on where you are in the country, I'd try purchasing either the Green Dot, or the Vanilla Reload and see if one works before choosing the Amex prepaid service that goes along with it

reply
quote
top

you need to Check CVS,for the VR. Don't know if you have them there. If not, find a huge grocery chain that lets you buy GC with CC. BUT they must be VISA DEBIT issued by Metabank. That's what works out east. Then go to WM or online open a BB account. But you need to go to WM with the BB card when you receive it in mail in order to load the Grocery GC to the BB account. If there is no WM this is not good because if you load online there are fees. The VR lets you load BB ONLINE for free. If none of these options work, open Amzon payments acct and cash out thru tate. Let me know what happens. 15 months ago I was a novice and knew nothing about this, but n ow I am a self professed expert. Took in 7500. this year in rewards!@!!

rated:
I currently have about 45k-50k in unused credit, which makes my utilization look awesome, but I wondering if I might have a better chance at getting approved for more cards if I were to close some of my current ones. My income is less than my total available credit. I'm thinking it makes me look like a risk, for me to have that much credit available. I know most banks have specific amounts that they will allow any one person to have in CC credit, but do they look at overall available credit as well?

rated:
draculatreeforest said:   I currently have about 45k-50k in unused credit, which makes my utilization look awesome, but I wondering if I might have a better chance at getting approved for more cards if I were to close some of my current ones. My income is less than my total available credit. I'm thinking it makes me look like a risk, for me to have that much credit available. I know most banks have specific amounts that they will allow any one person to have in CC credit, but do they look at overall available credit as well?
  Don't cancel anything. Issuers look at their total risk to you however if you apply for a card they can always move credit lines around as needed.
 

rated:
As an AAdvantage member and AAdvantage Citicard holder, I received a targeted offer to open a Citibank checking account.

They have three tiers:
- Citigold with 30K miles bonus after $750 in debit card purchases. $50K balance min or $30 monthly fee.
- Citibank with 15K miles bonus after $375 in debit card purchases. $15K balance min or $20 monthly fee.
- Basic with 5K miles bonus after $125 in debit card purchases. $1.5K balance min or $10 monthly fee.
In addition to debit card spending, all the above have direct deposit requirements for 2 months to earn miles.

I just applied Citigold checking account and put $10 as a starting balance. I figure less than $100 in fees for 30K miles is cheap.

rated:
vholic said:   As an AAdvantage member and AAdvantage Citicard holder, I received a targeted offer to open a Citibank checking account.

They have three tiers:
- Citigold with 30K miles bonus after $750 in debit card purchases. $50K balance min or $30 monthly fee.
- Citibank with 15K miles bonus after $375 in debit card purchases. $15K balance min or $20 monthly fee.
- Basic with 5K miles bonus after $125 in debit card purchases. $1.5K balance min or $10 monthly fee.
In addition to debit card spending, all the above have direct deposit requirements for 2 months to earn miles.

I just applied Citigold checking account and put $10 as a starting balance. I figure less than $100 in fees for 30K miles is cheap.

FYI -- You're going to get a 1099 for that and have to pay taxes on the value of the points. This is true for any checking/deposit account bonus.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   FYI -- You're going to get a 1099 for that and have to pay taxes on the value of the points. This is true for any checking/deposit account bonus.
  
Ah, thanks for the info. Shoulda done more homework first. Found a  link discussing this offer:

http://boardingarea.com/pointmetotheplane/2013/03/23/new-30k-aad...

rated:
Thinking about doing this AOR tomorrow, wife will be too.

Citi AA, 50k, $3k in 3 months, no annual fee
Barclays US Air, 35k, first spend, no annual fee
BofA Alaksa, 25k, $1k in 3 months, $100 credit, $75 fee
Amex Delta, 35k, $750 in 3 months, no annual fee
Chase Units, 50k, $2k in 3 months, no annual fee - has to be done in branch, going to do first 4 from home then go to branch

Debating to add another chase card. Or is there something else good. Not trying to have high spend and come up with ways to do it.

rated:
RedHotLama said:   Thinking about doing this AOR tomorrow, wife will be too.

Citi AA, 50k, $3k in 3 months, no annual fee
Barclays US Air, 35k, first spend, no annual fee
BofA Alaksa, 25k, $1k in 3 months, $100 credit, $75 fee
Amex Delta, 35k, $750 in 3 months, no annual fee
Chase Units, 50k, $2k in 3 months, no annual fee - has to be done in branch, going to do first 4 from home then go to branch

Debating to add another chase card. Or is there something else good. Not trying to have high spend and come up with ways to do it.

  I believe the Chase United 50k (+5k for AU) offer with $1K spend is still available online.  Check FT

rated:

cards (11.60kB)
Disclaimer
First AOR in the books. Been considering doing one for more than a year now, but ironically wanted to wait to get out of actual debt before doing one. Now that we're in the black, I'm ready to rack up potential debt!

Existing cards:
Discover / 14K CL
Amex Blue Cash Preferred / 10K CL
Citi Simplicity / small CL
Barclays Coast to Coast Visa / 13.5K CL
Chase Slate / $2.5K CL
Chase Southwest / $9.5K CL

Applied for (and approved for all, only had to call Barclays recon line for NFL card):
Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage / 8.5K new credit
Chase Marriott Rewards Signature / 15K new credit
Amex Starwood Preferred / ? new credit
Barclays US Airways Premier / 5K new credit
Chase Sapphire Preferred / 8K new credit
Barclays NFL Extra Points / 5K moved from C2C

Total potential rewards: 245,000 points and miles combined (+1 night stay at Marriott)

See attached image for details

Guess it's finally time to pull the bluebird out of the drawer.

Many thanks to FW for links and inspiration!


 

rated:
For those in the Active Duty Military, I found a nice little nugget of information while prepping for my next AoR.

Some card issuers will waive all fees/expenses while on Active Duty. I was tipped off to this when I mentioned to a friend I was applying for the AMEX Delta Skymiles Platinum card. You have to apply for the fees/expenses to be waived after you've received the card.

For those who already have cards and have paid fees/expenses, there's a high probability they'll refund them if you call in and state you're active duty. Refunds *may* include interest paid at a higher percentage than what they offer for active duty military and BT fees. CapOne apparently also offers this. Will post my results when I finish my AoR.

rated:
Did a little app spree with good success

AMEX Blue Cash - Approved - 6k $100 statement credit
AMEX Gold Business - Approved - NPSL 50,000 pts sign up
FNBO AMEX - Approved - 6k
USBank Platinum - Approved - 4.5k
Chase Airtran - Approvred - 9.8k 2 free flights
Chase Ink Plus - Approved - 3k 50,000 pts
Bank of America Priveledges - Approved - 5k $100 statement credit
Barclay Card Ring - Approved - $500 pfft
Barclay Card US Air - ?
Discover Business Cash - Approved - $2500
PNC Business Points - Denied
Dollar Bank - Approved - 1k
Citi Dividend - Denied
Penfed Gas - Denied

Started with a EQ of 724 
35k in new credit and counting plus sign up bonuses I am jacked!!!
 

rated:
what was so good about it? BOA priveledges only gives 2% grocery and 3% gas. Amex preferred gives 6% grocery and 3% gas with 250.CB if you apply thru special external web site. BOA is terrible when it comes to paying the bonus. Keep all copies off app page and email them that you applied for the 100. CB, let them email you back that you did qualify. You will probably need to prove it. also 500 CL on Barclays??? If you wanted bonus points and rewards, maybe you should have checked this forum first?? PM me if you want

rated:
I did not know the link about the blue cash $250, I will keep that in mind when trying to get the BOA. I was happy with the airtran with 2 free roundtrip flights and 50,000 pts with the AMEX gold though. Barclay card I could care less about with that little limit. I am also glad with the higher limits I got to help keep utilization low.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
vholic said:   As an AAdvantage member and AAdvantage Citicard holder, I received a targeted offer to open a Citibank checking account.

They have three tiers:
- Citigold with 30K miles bonus after $750 in debit card purchases. $50K balance min or $30 monthly fee.
- Citibank with 15K miles bonus after $375 in debit card purchases. $15K balance min or $20 monthly fee.
- Basic with 5K miles bonus after $125 in debit card purchases. $1.5K balance min or $10 monthly fee.
In addition to debit card spending, all the above have direct deposit requirements for 2 months to earn miles.

I just applied Citigold checking account and put $10 as a starting balance. I figure less than $100 in fees for 30K miles is cheap.

FYI -- You're going to get a 1099 for that and have to pay taxes on the value of the points. This is true for any checking/deposit account bonus.

  
Probably not.  See this offer is based on a minimum spend.  This will allow citi to view the bonus as a non-taxable rebate.  I don't think we have gone through a 1099 season since they switched to a min spend approach, but I'd wager no 1099.

rated:
Sesq said:   
stanolshefski said:   
vholic said:   As an AAdvantage member and AAdvantage Citicard holder, I received a targeted offer to open a Citibank checking account.

They have three tiers:
- Citigold with 30K miles bonus after $750 in debit card purchases. $50K balance min or $30 monthly fee.
- Citibank with 15K miles bonus after $375 in debit card purchases. $15K balance min or $20 monthly fee.
- Basic with 5K miles bonus after $125 in debit card purchases. $1.5K balance min or $10 monthly fee.
In addition to debit card spending, all the above have direct deposit requirements for 2 months to earn miles.

I just applied Citigold checking account and put $10 as a starting balance. I figure less than $100 in fees for 30K miles is cheap.

FYI -- You're going to get a 1099 for that and have to pay taxes on the value of the points. This is true for any checking/deposit account bonus.

  
Probably not.  See this offer is based on a minimum spend.  This will allow citi to view the bonus as a non-taxable rebate.  I don't think we have gone through a 1099 season since they switched to a min spend approach, but I'd wager no 1099.

  Do you have any experience with Citi checking bonuses? It's safe to assume OP will receive a 1099 -- if he doesn't, he's lucky.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
Sesq said:   
stanolshefski said:   
vholic said:   As an AAdvantage member and AAdvantage Citicard holder, I received a targeted offer to open a Citibank checking account.

They have three tiers:
- Citigold with 30K miles bonus after $750 in debit card purchases. $50K balance min or $30 monthly fee.
- Citibank with 15K miles bonus after $375 in debit card purchases. $15K balance min or $20 monthly fee.
- Basic with 5K miles bonus after $125 in debit card purchases. $1.5K balance min or $10 monthly fee.
In addition to debit card spending, all the above have direct deposit requirements for 2 months to earn miles.

I just applied Citigold checking account and put $10 as a starting balance. I figure less than $100 in fees for 30K miles is cheap.

FYI -- You're going to get a 1099 for that and have to pay taxes on the value of the points. This is true for any checking/deposit account bonus.

  
Probably not.  See this offer is based on a minimum spend.  This will allow citi to view the bonus as a non-taxable rebate.  I don't think we have gone through a 1099 season since they switched to a min spend approach, but I'd wager no 1099.

  Do you have any experience with Citi checking bonuses? It's safe to assume OP will receive a 1099 -- if he doesn't, he's lucky.

  
I am aware of the past practices and aware that they changed their approach by requiring min spend.  They value AA miles at 2.5 cpm, so 30K would potentially be 1099'd at $750.  With a spend requirement equal to it they are likely to treat it as a rebate.  Rebates are giving you your money back, not a 1099 event.   Since this change happened in late 2012/early 2013 there are not a lot of data points and calls to the CS reps are clueless.  Wait till January 2014 and find out.

rated:
Thank you both for the information. I will report back whether or not I receive 1099 in January.

rated:
vholic said:   Thank you both for the information. I will report back whether or not I receive 1099 in January.
  Hi everybody...first want to thank everybody for valuable information...i have a question...i just got chase southwest personal and biz for 50k bonus each..........i am going to close one card.......I also hace chase slate 15k CL from 1994.   the CL on personal southwest is 20K and 8K on Biz.....am i better closing persoan' and allocationing credit line to slate or closing biz and keeping personal...On a new account if you close it...does it have the same effect as open on average age of accounts...thanks for your replies
 

rated:
Biz CL does not get reported to CB's.

rated:
yes I know but does closing account since its new keep the average age of all accounts the same as if it is open or do they only look at average of active accounts...thanks

rated:
Fake scores like Credit Karma use only active accounts in their (for entertainment purposes only) estimated score. But the actual FICO uses closed accounts in their AAoA calc as long as they are on your credit report (fall off in ten years if closed on good terms, sever years on bad terms).

rated:
If a closed account was open for 10 years and then closed for 10 more years, does it factor as 10 or 20?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 177 78 79808184
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014