• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Wanted to start a thread discussing the new Quicken release. Can anyone offer their opinion? Is it worth the money to upgrade?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
what are some good replaces for quicken? im so tired....<br><br>ms money - never used it but i hear it doesnt quite comp... (more)

FWFFan (Sep. 25, 2006 @ 6:12a) |

KEV1N said: <blockquote><hr>I totally regret installing 2007. It is full of bugs, the interface looks horrible (TERRIBLE... (more)

montee4 (Sep. 25, 2006 @ 10:08a) |

no problems for me on my old machine, and none on my new machine. 2007 premier. The interface is "friendlier" I guess, t... (more)

kamalktk (Sep. 25, 2006 @ 10:49a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I upgraded today have not installed it tho. I had Staples price match costco. So I piad $36.99+ tax for Quicken Home and Bussiness after easy rebate which i thought was more than fair. I can post an update once I install it later tonight.

According to Amazon it was due to ship today. I ordered my copy through them since I had a $25 GC (thanks to the test drive thread) and my current version is 2004. I'm looking to take advantage of the greater number of financial providers they link to.
edit: 200th post woot.

PC Mag review and Cnet review. Hopefully someone from FWF will chime in with a review.

The most significant change is that Quicken now supports substantially more financial institutions with automatic transaction downloads. I believe they are using a system similar to MS Money and Yodlee - so, for example, MBNA transactions can now be downloaded automatically.

Funny how the reviews mention attaching files to transactions...something that 2006 does just fine.

I wonder how buggy the intial release of this version is?

DaveHanson said: [Q]Funny how the reviews mention attaching files to transactions...something that 2006 does just fine.

There have been some significant improvements there, such as ability to paste and scan images. You can also categorize them as statements/invoices/receipts/etc.

Other than this and transaction download stuff I mentioned above all other changes I noticed are fairly cosmetic. Not sure where they got the new color scheme from...

Question in the thread title: Quicken 2007 .. To Buy or not to buy?
Answer: If you have Kick-N 2006 (juss kidding, Kick-N = Quicken), you dont want just a whole bunch of additional colors and graphcs and just fine with the core functioality of Kick-n 2006, you dont need to go for 2007..(my presonal openion)

DaveHanson said: [Q]Funny how the reviews mention attaching files to transactions...something that 2006 does just fine.

I wonder how buggy the intial release of this version is?
Right, I have been attaching my great grand ma's image for quicken transactions in 2006 version.. (just kidding .. great grand ma's picture = scanned check image)

[Q] The most significant change is that Quicken now supports substantially more financial institutions with automatic transaction downloads. I believe they are using a system similar to MS Money and Yodlee - so, for example, MBNA transactions can now be downloaded automatically.

That is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned. Every month I'm forced to perform manual web connects on MBNA, ING Direct, E*Trade Checking, and Chase so I'm hoping I can automate all or at least some of those.

Does anyone know if there is a list of supported financial institutions available for the new version?

TIA,
Sam

SlidingBike said: [Q]Question in the thread title: Quicken 2007 .. To Buy or not to buy?
Answer: If you have Kick-N 2006 (juss kidding, Kick-N = Quicken), you dont want just a whole bunch of additional colors and graphcs and just fine with the core functioality of Kick-n 2006, you dont need to go for 2007..(my presonal openion)

Actually one of the big improvements besides adding more institutions is a better reporting tool. I am using 2004 and have 2006 on my parents computer and the reports generally suck unless you tweak them for a long time. So as far as upgrading, it depends on what version you have. May be if you have 2006 it is not worth it, all the other versions will most likely benefit from the upgrade.


DaveHanson said: [Q]I wonder how buggy the intial release of this version is?

What makes you say that? I used both 2004 and 2006 from initial release and had no problems with either.

vitaliyf said: [Q]The most significant change is that Quicken now supports substantially more financial institutions with automatic transaction downloads. I believe they are using a system similar to MS Money and Yodlee - so, for example, MBNA transactions can now be downloaded automatically.

I expect that's the case. I was part of a focus group/study on the new version last year, and that was one of the features I ended up talking about a lot with them (convenience, security concerns, etc).

I got the 2006 version and that lack of ability to download info from MBNA, ING, ED and others like that is a major pain. Say for MBNA, you can't even download transactions until you have the statement which means, your accounting in quicken is up to a month behind or you have to enter them manually (defeats the purpose of linking the institution really). Same with ING or ED, you gotta login and manually download the updates. Although, it's somewhat integrated in Quicken 2006, it's not the same as all the accounts that just refresh upon the simple one-step update.

So even for that expanded functionality alone, I'm probably going to upgrade to the 2007 version once I make sure that it all really works.

I just hope I like the new interface. After a few years with versions of quicken looking the same, it always takes me a bit to find things around in the new interface. But I like the idea of emphasizing cashflow readability and better/more customizable reports.

Shandril said: [Q]I got the 2006 version and that lack of ability to download info from MBNA, ING, ED and others like that is a major pain. Say for MBNA, you can't even download transactions until you have the statement which means, your accounting in quicken is up to a month behind or you have to enter them manually (defeats the purpose of linking the institution really). Same with ING or ED, you gotta login and manually download the updates. Although, it's somewhat integrated in Quicken 2006, it's not the same as all the accounts that just refresh upon the simple one-step update.

So even for that expanded functionality alone, I'm probably going to upgrade to the 2007 version once I make sure that it all really works.

I just hope I like the new interface. After a few years with versions of quicken looking the same, it always takes me a bit to find things around in the new interface. But I like the idea of emphasizing cashflow readability and better/more customizable reports.

My guess is that you will still need to wait for the monthly statement to post before it will download your transactions. It will just automate the process of logging into the FI, selecting latest statement, clicking download web connect file, etc.

If it actually can skim current transactions, I will be really excited.

Why wonder or take anyone else's opinion? Download the new version and find out for yourself. MBG applies.

I always assumed the ability to download transactions directly from Quicken vs. having to go to the website was a limitation on the side of the financial institution, not Intuit's. Same with being able to only download statement transactions from MBNA. Unless MBNA changes something I doubt that would change.

sbiller said: [Q][Q] The most significant change is that Quicken now supports substantially more financial institutions with automatic transaction downloads. I believe they are using a system similar to MS Money and Yodlee - so, for example, MBNA transactions can now be downloaded automatically.

That is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned. Every month I'm forced to perform manual web connects on MBNA, ING Direct, E*Trade Checking, and Chase so I'm hoping I can automate all or at least some of those.

Does anyone know if there is a list of supported financial institutions available for the new version?

TIA,
Sam

NetBank will allow you to enter your account information for all your accounts and it will check all of them for you...

dolmar said: [Q]I upgraded today have not installed it tho. I had Staples price match costco. So I piad $36.99+ tax for Quicken Home and Bussiness after easy rebate which i thought was more than fair. I can post an update once I install it later tonight.

I called and they were not ready to match price as it has rebate.

costco sells it for $59.99 Staples sells it for $89.99.

Staples sold it to me for $56.99 ($89.99-$33(110% of the difference) And Staples had a $20 easy rebate so my gross cost $61.69 with tax and I will get $20 rebate in 4-6 weeks making my net price $41.49.

I went to Staples On Santa Monica Blvd in Los Angeles and manager never flinch even So I guess pricematch could be YMMV as after rebate Staples is only really $10 more than Costco.

vitaliyf said: [Q]The most significant change is that Quicken now supports substantially more financial institutions with automatic transaction downloads. I believe they are using a system similar to MS Money and Yodlee - so, for example, MBNA transactions can now be downloaded automatically.

But can it download from Presidential? That is what I and many others need. When someone confirms that I am on my way to Staples.

Generally speaking, I wait to upgrade until turbo tax comes out. The last three years around thanksgiving Staples has had enough in rebates, coupons, etc. to get quicken deluxe, turbotax deluxe, a shredder, and norton systemworks for arround 20 bucks after rebate.

I also find that the first release of quicken is often buggy. Wait a month or two and they will have some patches.

I installed the new Quicken and been playing with it. I have to say the new layout is much easier to read while I find all that information irrelevant for me others might find it usefull. It gives you info like total deposit total outflows based on catagories increase or decrease in value on investment etc.

Form the accounts I have MBNA, INGDIRECT now support auto downloads into Quicken 2007 that Quicken 2006 did not support. Citibank has also added support for investment and IRA downloads which was not support at all in Quicken 2006.

Atachment feature looks much nicer than before as You can attach check, recipet , warrenty and other image into every transaction and in Quicken 2006 only allowed 1 attachment.

I will update this some more when i have more time to play with it. I really like the update and fact I dont need to manually enter all my brokerage account info into Quicken anymore. At it will update the price of my Corp and Muni and T-bill for me which Quicken 2006 would not do at all as there was no way to download any bond info.

Nice, that's good to here. I'm sick of having to manually connect to five different sites to update all my accounts. ING will be a plus, I've heard that Emigrant still isn't supported yet. Any word on Chase or Capital One credit cards?

[Q]Any word on Chase or Capital One credit cards?

Huh? I thought Chase cards were already supported through webconnect (I've been doing it for years on 2004 and 2006)

I'm not sure what's changed in 2007, but here's a list of webconnect partners:

http://web.intuit.com/personal/quicken/results.cfm?type=basic&product=qw&qwid=qw1500&qmid=qm1501&qbid=qb1600&qbmid=qbm1600

seantay00 said: [Q]Nice, that's good to here. I'm sick of having to manually connect to five different sites to update all my accounts. ING will be a plus, I've heard that Emigrant still isn't supported yet. Any word on Chase or Capital One credit cards?

Chase and Capital one both support direct connection in 2005+ so not sure why you would even bother with this hibreed web connect anyways. Both of them support full transaction download of bank account and credit cards and lines of credit. Chases also support bill pay from inside of Quicken.

Emigrant Direct in 2007 supports direct connect for Credit and savings accounts. I tried seting up an account and it says your webpage login infomation is your direct connect login info.

Ahahah, BoA my portfolio and MS Excel. Or, just light your money on fire. I tried money, what a horribly limited POS, quicken I avoided after several frustrated attempts with 2003 to automatically do ANYTHING.

alexnyc said: [Q][Q]Any word on Chase or Capital One credit cards?

Huh? I thought Chase cards were already supported through webconnect (I've been doing it for years on 2004 and 2006)

I'm not sure what's changed in 2007, but here's a list of webconnect partners:

http://web.intuit.com/personal/quicken/results.cfm?type=basic&product=qw&qwid=qw1500&qmid=qm1501&qbid=qb1600&qbmid=qbm1600
When Chase bought Bank One earlier this year, my Bank One accounts mysteriously stopped downloading automatically even after I updated the info Quicken uses to connect and spoke with Chase's tech support. Chase also decided I would be get a monthly $9.95 fees for auto-downloading now that I was a Chase customer (no fees under Bank One), it took two seperate calls to get that cleared up.

longwood8 said: [Q]But can it download from Presidential? That is what I and many others need. When someone confirms that I am on my way to Staples.

I am wondering this exact same question. Can anyone confirm whether downloads work with Presidential? I've been stuck on 2004 for QIF support because this is my main checking account.

gexi said: [Q]longwood8 said: [Q]But can it download from Presidential? That is what I and many others need. When someone confirms that I am on my way to Staples.

I am wondering this exact same question. Can anyone confirm whether downloads work with Presidential? I've been stuck on 2004 for QIF support because this is my main checking account.

Presidential is not support at all when you goto set up new account and pick bank Presidential is not listed as a supported bank. So I guess for people with Presidential account money might be better.

I am a first time quicken user. I preferred buying directly from quicken.com. While its a little more expensive but it comes with 60 days return policy for full refund. If you download it from there site then you have to just uninstall and request your full refund.

I don't know if this list is accurate or not for Quicken 2007.

(damn dupe)

winter said: [Q]I don't know if this list is accurate or not for Quicken 2007.

Thanks! This is a great list for finding out the banks it supports. Beware that it takes a lot of time (and system resources) to load.

Dolmar, what exactly is the direct connection function. Are you talking about the ability to go to chases website and import your transactions into Quicken? The feature I want to work is to be able to click one button and update all in my accounts in Quicken. As far as I am aware I cannot update my Capital One card without logging into Capital One's website in Quicken 2006. Please correct me if I am wrong, by explaining how to automatically sync the account.

Thanks for the list of supported banks!

PC World review/comparison to MS Money 07

link

seantay00 said: [Q]Dolmar, what exactly is the direct connection function. Are you talking about the ability to go to chases website and import your transactions into Quicken? The feature I want to work is to be able to click one button and update all in my accounts in Quicken. As far as I am aware I cannot update my Capital One card without logging into Capital One's website in Quicken 2006. Please correct me if I am wrong, by explaining how to automatically sync the account.

Thanks for the list of supported banks!

Direct connect is hitting just 1 set update. I have been using that feature in Quicken 2006 with both Chase and Capital one credit cards. Both have a link on there web page to activate that free service once logged into there web page. Then you enter you same login and password from the web page into Quicken under "online services" of each account.

Quicken 2007 also supports downloading web connect without having to log into the webpage for accounts that do not support direct connect like Ingdirect, Emergrant Direct, Citibank CD's etc.

For Example Citibank charges $9.99 for direct connect for banking accounts but allows credit cards to direct connect for free. So if you bank with Citibank and they dont waive monthly fee you could use web connect to download the info from Citibank for free now. Citibank only waives the direct connect fee on Citigold and Everything Counts accounts.

Dolmar, thanks for clearing that up. I think you made my night, I'm going to set that up as soon as I get home. Finally no more manual exporting, thank God.

dolmar said: [Q]gexi said: [Q]longwood8 said: [Q]But can it download from Presidential? That is what I and many others need. When someone confirms that I am on my way to Staples.

I am wondering this exact same question. Can anyone confirm whether downloads work with Presidential? I've been stuck on 2004 for QIF support because this is my main checking account.

Presidential is not support at all when you goto set up new account and pick bank Presidential is not listed as a supported bank. So I guess for people with Presidential account money might be better.


Presidential works great with Money 2006.



n/m, I'm an idiot

loyosewe said: [Q]I am a first time quicken user. I preferred buying directly from quicken.com. While its a little more expensive but it comes with 60 days return policy for full refund. If you download it from there site then you have to just uninstall and request your full refund.


Costo is a better deal. You can return it pretty much whenever for whatever reason.

Skipping 52 Messages...
no problems for me on my old machine, and none on my new machine. 2007 premier. The interface is "friendlier" I guess, the speed is about the same.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014