• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
If you only need Deluxe, it's $45 shipped on Amazon. I should wait until it drops.. but sure would be nice to have mbna/ing auto download.. I'm still running 2004.

Zon said: [Q]I always assumed the ability to download transactions directly from Quicken vs. having to go to the website was a limitation on the side of the financial institution, not Intuit's. Same with being able to only download statement transactions from MBNA. Unless MBNA changes something I doubt that would change.

This is true however there are always solutions. For example yahoo no longer supports imap/pop without paying for an account yet you can get it through thunderbird and an extension. Of course the danger is that yahoo can change the way they display emails and it will no longer work so it's not the best solution. But perhaps they have some agreement that X will tell quicken when they are going to make significant changes?

i am a quicken noob. i am still running 03 deluxe. should i look into upgrading to 07? what will it do for me that 03 will not? if i do upgrade will it keep all my info i already have in 03?

dolmar said: [Q]I upgraded today have not installed it tho. I had Staples price match costco. So I piad $36.99+ tax for Quicken Home and Bussiness after easy rebate which i thought was more than fair. I can post an update once I install it later tonight.

Was that Staples B and M or Online? I will need to by online because there are no Staples in Houston. Would be $19 for the deluxe version after PM and $20 rebate.

grahame said: [Q]dolmar said: [Q]I upgraded today have not installed it tho. I had Staples price match costco. So I piad $36.99+ tax for Quicken Home and Bussiness after easy rebate which i thought was more than fair. I can post an update once I install it later tonight.

Was that Staples B and M or Online? I will need to by online because there are no Staples in Houston. Would be $19 for the deluxe version after PM and $20 rebate.

I went to a store like stated 2 poste below the one you quoted. I had called te 800 number they agreed to do it also except 800 number said I would have to pay Costco Next day shipping charge which was $17.99 which killed the deal. So I then went to store to avoid the shipping charges.

amandaw33 said: [Q]If you only need Deluxe, it's $45 shipped on Amazon. I should wait until it drops.. but sure would be nice to have mbna/ing auto download.. I'm still running 2004.

Or Costco at 39.99

This is a Huge YMMV. Today in Staples ad they have Quicken now with $20 rebate + $20 Giftcard. If you can get them price Match Costco price on Deluxe of $39.99 you basically get it for free after rebate and giftcare. Just have to pay the tax.

I called the manager from the store I bought it. He told me he would allow me to get the giftcard on my purchase. He said he would return it and resale it to me and still allow me to do the pricematch also.

So my cost for Quicken 2007 home and office will be $21.69 after tax once I get my free $20 gift card and my $20 rebate.

FWIW Quicken 2007 still has QIF crippled (can't import QIF or OFX files into any useful account). Their argument is that they want to move everyone to the "more secure" QFX files, but the reality of the matter is they want financial institutions to pay a premium in order to continue serving quicken users.

Also, the "Data Converter" that was designed to convert a Microsoft Money file to Quicken (since, again, Quicken won't let you import QIFs exported from Money) will not be updated for Quicken 2007. source

Amidst all this, I'm getting the vibe that Quicken is steadily moving toward becoming a black hole of information, from which you can't get anything in or out the way you want to. The last thing I want is to have years and years of financial data held hostage by Quicken, so I'll be sticking with MS Money. A shame too, because I rather liked the Quicken interface.

Installed the 2007 Premier version. Upgrade from 2006 was pretty easy and it converted my accounts fine. New start up interface is different but I can't say that it's massively more useful to me than it used to be. Not that it takes much time to go from that initial page as the layout for account bar is identical as it was in 2006 but it just looks like a different skin on familiar quicken. That's good too for keeping things in familiar territory.

Anyway, my main motivation for upgrading was access to way more financial institutions and ability to web connect directly to a few of them like ING, ED and MBNA. Maybe it's a YMMV thing but I was underwhelmed by the performance on those specific points.

As far as ING is concerned, in addition to the regular login/password info, it pops up a gazillion security questions (like 4 parts of your social, 2 parts of DOB, and a couple more security questions) and eventually didn't make the link with ING saying my info was incorrect. I logged on my ING account and double checked my info and it was exactly as I entered it in quicken so there's something not working right with connecting to ING. Maybe it's the new ING security features but it didn't work as I hoped it would.

Same thing from EmigrantDirect. In one-step update, it prompts me to enable the link to Emigrant Direct accounts. First there is the issue of the new ED account numbers which got changed as part of their own security changes and once again it asks for additional security questions but in the end couldn't connect and gave me error message (that one pointed to an error on quicken's servers! Not much I can do about errors there, huh?).

MBNA linking in one-step-update was easier (maybe since they don't have all the security question crap that ING and ED now have). It worked fine. However, it didn't pull information since MBNA still doesn't seem to provide anything but it's monthly statements for download. I guess it'll save me login on to MBNA manually to download the statements once a month but that's a fairly minor improvement overall since I still can't see transaction on a daily basis. Working but well below my expectations.

Overall, I was rather unimpressed with the new version. It still didn't have my credit union as listed institution. It obviously still had bugs with some of the connection to ING/ED, Fidelity Netbenefits, etc ... And when it did work, it was still a minimal improvement (MBNA). New interface is nice but nothing to write home about. We're not talking entertainment here. So based on my initial impressions of the improvement on actual features (rather than looks), it seems to me more like lipstick on a pig rather than a major upgrade.

Maybe it's me not doing the right thing to link ING, ED, etc .. but in hindsight, I'd probably wouldn't have upgraded if I knew the improvements were so minimal.

INGDirect linked 100% and workes just check it right now. So maybe you did something wrong not sure what to tell you.

I dont have an ED account so I cant test it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Shandril said:

As far as ING is concerned, in addition to the regular login/password info, it pops up a gazillion security questions (like 4 parts of your social, 2 parts of DOB, and a couple more security questions) and eventually didn't make the link with ING saying my info was incorrect. I logged on my ING account and double checked my info and it was exactly as I entered it in quicken so there's something not working right with connecting to ING. Maybe it's the new ING security features but it didn't work as I hoped it would.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had the same problem with ING, found out that while ING lets your answer be as long as want when you fill out the form, there is a 14 character max when you use the question to verify yourself. One of my questions was a year, I chose to use a random 20 character password instead...that caused a problem for me. I changed all my answers to 14 characters or less, and was able to direct connect with Quicken.

FTTAW said: [Q]________________________________________________________________________________________________
Shandril said:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had the same problem with ING, found out that while ING lets your answer be as long as want when you fill out the form, there is a 14 character max when you use the question to verify yourself. One of my questions was a year, I chose to use a random 20 character password instead...that caused a problem for me. I changed all my answers to 14 characters or less, and was able to direct connect with Quicken.

Thanks for the info. One of the questions was a street name and that was longer than 14 characters. I never realized there was a character limit. Now that I've changed my security questions, it works fine in Quicken 2007. Thanks again for the tip.

I responded to their mail offer which give me Quicken 2007 Premier for 59.99 (with free Quicken WillMaker Plus 2007 and Britanica Encyclopedia)

I had installed it and found following :

1. Change in GUI/Colors througout, which looks nice and fency.
2. Added some quick reports
3. In home, added inflow/outflow section
4. Lot of banks are added, but I could not get HSBCDirect account working, MBNA CC works.
5. No change in tax planner, whose UI is same for 10 years, and buggy.
6. One Step Update: Download transaction in background, which means you can work while it download.
7. Once you enter password for download transaction, you do not have to type it again if you try to download again in same session. So little loose security level!!!
8. Allow to rename the transaction name with more generic like "COSTCO New York" to "Costco", I think this will make easy to search transaction, if you care.
9. Allow you to add recipet, bill, your notes etc in the transaction, this one is nice.
10. There is no option to change the color on left bar, or I could not find it.

Net.Net. It may not worth if you are not using for tax planning.

Shandril said: [Q]

Overall, I was rather unimpressed with the new version.

Well, most reviews out there said that there is not much of a point in upgrading from 2006 to 2007, it's the other versions that gain the most.

I kinda wonder how many people read the reviews and Quicken's website (in detail) before spending money.

To sink: You don't think that MS just LOVES the fact that Quicken is so separate, since it makes MS Money just as much of a "blackhole" of information. It goes both ways.

sinik said: [Q]FWIW Quicken 2007 still has QIF crippled (can't import QIF or OFX files into any useful account).
Have you tried the workaround mentioned in this thread?

If I dont plan on downloading data from the bank is there a reason to update from 2002 to the newer versions?

I upgraded shortly it became available.

Quicken 2007 seems to have some limited issues with banks with additional security questions - ING Direct and Emigrant Direct. ING Direct has been fixed, but I'm still getting frequent errors with Emigrant. With many banks moving to this, I would hope that Quicken stays on top of the changes and implements updates quickely.

They do not use any central source to aggregate your accounts. It appears that the Web Connect/One Step Updates actually goes to the FI's website in the background and downloads the Quicken Web Connect file. As a result, if your FI updates their website, you have to wait for Quicken to update (sometimes you have to deactive and reactivate the FI).

I'm also experiencing (and am not the only one) problems where multiple accounts classified differently, but downloaded in the same One Step username will reclassify these accounts. For example: I have a Checking & 2 Savings Accounts at a FI (setup as Cash Flow: Spending and Cash Flow: Savings). The savings accounts will "reclass" to the spending category when it downloads data.

Lastly, while it is not "published", Money 2007 CAN convert Quicken 2007 files. I am now running my files next to each other. The biggest problem when converting to Monday 2007 is that Money 2007 will have problems with any and all transfers between Cash Flow and Investing accounts (you will have to reclass them manually).

sc0rpio said: [Q]sinik said: [Q]FWIW Quicken 2007 still has QIF crippled (can't import QIF or OFX files into any useful account).
Have you tried the workaround mentioned in this thread?Thanks, but I tried that at first and the imports were not coming in properly (the balances were all wrong, duplicate entries were being created, etc.).

Also, investment transactions are a bit too complicated to work by this method (and you can't import QIFs into investment accounts).

I played around for a while trying to figure this all out, but then I realized that I would end up having to scrutinize almost every single transaction in the end, and gave up.

killercat85 said: [Q]If I dont plan on downloading data from the bank is there a reason to update from 2002 to the newer versions?

For me there wouldn't. It's a nicer interface but for basically off-line features, the enhanced reports and minor improvements here and there aren't worth the upgrade price.

If you don't care about those downloading features, I'd probably recommend buying last year's quicken version as it'll be slashed in price compared to the more recent version. That or wait for a deal with tax software around the end of 2006 beginning of 2007. You might get quicken for free bundled AR with tax software then.

Anyone that has tried the new version. Did they fixed the issue with the "One Step Updates and saving a password more then 31 Char and quicken crashing. I contacted them on it and they CS kept giving me the run around and trying a bunch of stuff. Then i finally asked him to test it himself and he said he could not test it because none of the accounts he has allows more them 31 char. For me my Citi Dicidend allows more then 31 char.

Edit; I entered the wrong account.

johonn said: [Q]Anyone that has tried the new version. Did they fixed the issue with the "One Step Updates and saving a password more then 31 Char and quicken crashing. I contacted them on it and they CS kept giving me the run around and trying a bunch of stuff. Then i finally asked him to test it himself and he said he could not test it because none of the accounts he has allows more them 31 char. For me my Chase Rewards allows more then 31 char.
I commend you on your adherence to the policy the passwords should be hard to guess... but over 31 characters? Seems a bit excessive. I admit that the CS should have at least told you he would contact the product team and get back to you, but say they didn't fix this bug. Would that be a reason not to buy? For me, I'm sticking with 2006... maybe 2008 will introduce some must have feature.

It has been reported on the Quicken Forums that they did NOT fix the password length issue in Quicken 2007.

ekim53 said: [Q]
I commend you on your adherence to the policy the passwords should be hard to guess... but over 31 characters? Seems a bit excessive. I admit that the CS should have at least told you he would contact the product team and get back to you, but say they didn't fix this bug. Would that be a reason not to buy? For me, I'm sticking with 2006... maybe 2008 will introduce some must have feature.

I agree it is excessive but I do not need to worry about someone getting into my accounts. I use a “KeePass” for all my passwords. I simply randomly generate them at the time I sign up for the account and make it the longest they will allow. This way I don’t have to worry if one account is compromised. Yes, there are limits like I can not get into my accounts when I am away from home. Yes, I also carry a Thumb drive for that purpose with “TrueCrypt” on it on top of the password needed for KeePass. Enough of that I do not want to hijack the thread.

I guess the purpose of my post was to see if Quicken really does try to fix their problems or just tried to make it more visual appealing.

P.S, Thanks andrewli

shandril said

"As far as ING is concerned, in addition to the regular login/password info, it pops up a gazillion security questions (like 4 parts of your social, 2 parts of DOB, and a couple more security questions) and eventually didn't make the link with ING saying my info was incorrect. I logged on my ING account and double checked my info and it was exactly as I entered it in quicken so there's something not working right with connecting to ING. Maybe it's the new ING security features but it didn't work as I hoped it would."

I'm having same problem. I enter the info right but for the life of me can't get ING to be part of one step update. Very annoying ... one of the only reasons I upgraded was so ING and MBNA could be integrated into one step update

nevermind.. I found my problem... for my high school.. I was typing

Example High School

But all it wanted was

Example

Working now...

sbiller said: [Q]Shandril said: [Q]I got the 2006 version and that lack of ability to download info from MBNA, ING, ED and others like that is a major pain. Say for MBNA, you can't even download transactions until you have the statement which means, your accounting in quicken is up to a month behind or you have to enter them manually (defeats the purpose of linking the institution really). Same with ING or ED, you gotta login and manually download the updates. Although, it's somewhat integrated in Quicken 2006, it's not the same as all the accounts that just refresh upon the simple one-step update.

So even for that expanded functionality alone, I'm probably going to upgrade to the 2007 version once I make sure that it all really works.

I just hope I like the new interface. After a few years with versions of quicken looking the same, it always takes me a bit to find things around in the new interface. But I like the idea of emphasizing cashflow readability and better/more customizable reports.

My guess is that you will still need to wait for the monthly statement to post before it will download your transactions. It will just automate the process of logging into the FI, selecting latest statement, clicking download web connect file, etc.

If it actually can skim current transactions, I will be really excited.
This is certainly not the case as I just tried it did not download from MBNA eventhough I have transactions. It has to wait for end of statment I guess.

I picked up Home & Bus version at Staples saturday. I really like the changes so far..and the file size is actually smaller, the performance a bit snappier than deluxe 2006.

I'll do a more complete review later. For now, I can't seem to import qif files at all...even in the cash accounts where they're supposed to be permitted. It doesn't reject them per se, they just never get imported.

Anyone else able to do this? How'd you get it to work?

im always leary of new versions of quicken - therefore always last to update. ill let you guys iron out/report the bugs.

I think I read somewhere that some of the biggest losses in pirated software is programs the like of Quicken, Money, TaxCut, TurboTax, etc.

Youd figure if that were true, by now there would be a ton of complaints on the internet from "users" who "purchased" their financial software and got all of their information stolen.

On the other hand, this is why I think all companies should provide 30 day demo copies of the software. Those of us who dont have previous products to upgrade from (like me) dont necessarily want to spend the $$$ for a full version if we cant at least try it out first. Makes you wonder if thats why people download copies of the software to begin with. Im actually pondering purchasing Quicken 2007, but I have no way of trying it out before I do. Im sure there are plenty of open source solutions out there, but Im not sure they have the financial institution support like Quicken (I dont like manually inputting all transactions).

-Chris

i tested quicken 2007 and it did not disappoint...

it was horrible. it refused to install - on both my machine with 2006 (one existing copy and one with copy removed). after wasting half a day, i gave up. if you google, you will see many people have similiar install problems - and when contacted the tech support quicken, they were equally clueless. this does not bode well.

this is the worst version yet. i cannot get it installed at all - not even with the clean install program. looks like intuit saved me headache of finding bugs for them in their next release. back to the store....

edit: for the curious, google "quicken exit code 1603" to get a sense of incompetence

I purchased Quicken 2007. I was a previous Money user and love this program. The install was
easy with no problems.

I'm getting errors while trying to do direct connect updates about 90% of the time. Certain institutions will fail and I'll have to re-run the updates later.

Anyone else getting this wacky behavior? I'm wondering if its the FI's fault as there seems to be a pattern in which ones fail.

Just like every year, I will wait until MS Money Deluxe is FAR.

numbmark said: [Q]I'm getting errors while trying to do direct connect updates about 90% of the time. Certain institutions will fail and I'll have to re-run the updates later.

Anyone else getting this wacky behavior? I'm wondering if its the FI's fault as there seems to be a pattern in which ones fail.
I am having the same issue. One question I have are those sites like EmigrantDirect and ING. Quicken asks you those security questions, but where is it stored? It keeps the password in the PIN Vault, but I am not sure how to change the answers to the questions. And I wasn't asked for all of them when I set up the one step update, so I am pretty sure the times it is failing, it is asking a question that I was not prompted to answer. Anyone else having issues with those sites?

My office uses Quickbooks online. For businesses who use quickbooks, this is the way to go as you can get your features a la carte and not pay for anything you don't need.

montee4 said: [Q]numbmark said: [Q]I'm getting errors while trying to do direct connect updates about 90% of the time. Certain institutions will fail and I'll have to re-run the updates later.

I am having the same issue. One question I have are those sites like EmigrantDirect and ING. Quicken asks you those security questions, but where is it stored? It keeps the password in the PIN Vault, but I am not sure how to change the answers to the questions. And I wasn't asked for all of them when I set up the one step update, so I am pretty sure the times it is failing, it is asking a question that I was not prompted to answer. Anyone else having issues with those sites?

The failures I seem to consistently get are ING, BOA, Citi, and CrapOne. Every one of them works fine at some point, so the login information can't be bad... very weird.

Arbo,
Is the "confidential information" saved to your hard drive or on one of Quicken's servers? Does Quicken notify you when you attempt to use a feature that isn't paid for, or do they just charge without knowledge? Thanks!

ArbolLoco said: [Q]My office uses Quickbooks online. For businesses who use quickbooks, this is the way to go as you can get your features a la carte and not pay for anything you don't need.

sinik said: [Q]sc0rpio said: [Q]sinik said: [Q]FWIW Quicken 2007 still has QIF crippled (can't import QIF or OFX files into any useful account).
Have you tried the workaround mentioned in this thread?Thanks, but I tried that at first and the imports were not coming in properly (the balances were all wrong, duplicate entries were being created, etc.).

Also, investment transactions are a bit too complicated to work by this method (and you can't import QIFs into investment accounts).

I played around for a while trying to figure this all out, but then I realized that I would end up having to scrutinize almost every single transaction in the end, and gave up.

I am the one who proposed the fist work around in the thread.
Why you need to get into duplicates? dont use any other download, just follow either manual entry, any other method or the one I told there. If you mix and match, you may end up in the duplicate transactions. I have been using the same method that I mentioned in the thread(workaround), for more then an year, perfectly working for me.
Good luck
-SB

Found another bug with Fidelity. Both husband and I have retirement accounts through our work with them. Problem is the displayed account numbers are a group number for our company. As such quicken gives both our accounts the same number and cannot be made to download them separately despite the login IDs and passwords being different for our accounts.

SlidingBike said: [Q]I am the one who proposed the fist work around in the thread.
Fist workaround? I admit, it can make you feel better, but can damage your computer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014