• 1 234522
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I searched, Didn't find this topic.

The Citicards.com website went through an update in the past couple of days, and suddenly all the CashBack cards are gone, including the Citi Dividend Select, and Simplicity cards.

I called a couple of CSR, and both confirmed that they have received a memo saying that the Citi Dividend Card is no longer offered. In fact, all CashBack cards are gone...only TY network cards are left. Happened on Monday.

No word on existing users yet.

The end of the world is nigh! Run!

[EDIT : The "replacement" card is suppose to be introduced in October....alledgedly a "better" card.]

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I haven't used my Citibank card for more than a year and I don't even know if I get 5% back. I don't recall getting a l... (more)

pugster (Nov. 28, 2007 @ 3:14p) |

I converted my AA Bronze (used it only to keep my AA miles from expiring, but no longer need it) into Diamond Rewards vi... (more)

EugeneV (Nov. 28, 2007 @ 5:13p) |

To check, make a small purchase and look at your statement. I don't trust the CSRs.

lonestarguy (Nov. 28, 2007 @ 8:46p) |

Citibank is no longer allowing applications for Dividend Platinum Select (normal MC, AMEX and the student ones too).

It appears that they will be discontinuing the 5% gas/grocery/pharmacy and making it 2% but adding convenience stores and/or cable/utilities.

Thanks to Xeon852 Letter from Citibank

There are [or will be] but 3 cards left with [5%] everyday purchases - the Chase Cash Plus, Chase Rewards Plus, and that new HSBC card. There are exhaustive threads on each card that should be on the second or third page in this forum. [Props to bobfather, for succinctly summing it up.]

Edit: Some of us, who apparently acquired the Citi Dividend only recently, are still getting the 5%.
Meanwhile, the 5% HSBC card appears to not be available anymore.

This makes the Chase 5% cards the last 5% EVP cards.

See the new thread: What Credit Card Should I Get FAQ
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

As a general rule I much prefer Cash Back cards to a program tied to program points. I will continue using my Chase Rewards Plus/Citi Dividend as long as I can. However, I have drunk the Citi Kool-Aid and if I can't have cash TY points are a close second.

First off the ultimate flexibility is obviously cash, but if it has to be points I love the fact that my Citi Simplicity (sign up bonus), mtvU(5% resteraunts and books!), checking, debit card, e-savings, CD, bill pay, direct deposit, and credit protector are all accumulating points into the SAME pool of points. Secondly there are plenty $100 GC at stores where I shop regularly. I figure these gift cards are worth 98 cents on the dollar compared to cash. Thus my 5% card is really 4.9% but it is still the best I can get. Thirdly, right now I'm foregoing all GCs to save up for a big airline ticket. I think if I save it for the right flights, I can get well more than 1 point=$.01. If I pull that off then I'm really get greater than cash redemption.

MilesHeighway said: I searched, Didn't find this topic.

The Citicards.com website went through an update in the past couple of days, and suddenly all the CashBack cards are gone, including the Citi Dividend Select, and Simplicity cards.

I called a couple of CSR, and both confirmed that they have received a memo saying that the Citi Dividend Card is no longer offered. In fact, all CashBack cards are gone...only TY network cards are left. Happened on Monday.

They still have Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card

And I am not quite sure what you mean that "all CashBack cards are gone" since a couple of them are still around.

RushnRockt said: They still have Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card

And I am not quite sure what you mean that "all CashBack cards are gone" since a couple of them are still around.

I tried clicking on the "Apply" link on the webpage you cited. I got this:

Changes are underway to the Citi Dividend Card, so we are unable to process your application at this time. Please check back soon for more details, or select from our other great card offers.

Clearly something is happening with the Dividend card.

I mentioned this in another thread, Citi Dividend is now an AMEX cobranded product only. Cant get Citi Dividend MC anymore.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: I mentioned this in another thread, Citi Dividend is now an AMEX cobranded product only. Cant get Citi Dividend MC anymore.

I went to the AMEX portion of the Citi website. I went the to the AMEX Dividend page. I tried applying...

Changes are underway to the Citi Dividend Card, so we are unable to process your application at this time. Please check back soon for more details, or select from our other great card offers.

I think they are just slower removing the page/link for AMEX but it is just as unavailable as the the MC to new accounts.

They just converted a lot of the AT&T Universal cards to Citi Dividend last month!!!

How weird. I just ordered a replacement Dividend Platinum Select Card and it has an expiration date of 2010...

citi professional cash application still works, probably because it's a business product, kind of.

mst3k said: Secondly there are plenty $100 GC at stores where I shop regularly. I figure these gift cards are worth 98 cents on the dollar compared to cash. Thus my 5% card is really 4.9% but it is still the best I can get.

Many gift cards can be had at around 80 cents on the dollar on eB@y...

So, what is the standard procedure for current cardholders when something like this happens? If a rewards program (Cash Back) ends, I assume customers get some opportunity to cash in, correct?

Does the card stay the same until the expiration date, do the terms change and then get cancelled, or what?

hiphiphooray said: mst3k said: Secondly there are plenty $100 GC at stores where I shop regularly. I figure these gift cards are worth 98 cents on the dollar compared to cash. Thus my 5% card is really 4.9% but it is still the best I can get.

Many gift cards can be had at around 80 cents on the dollar on eB@y...

HHH, I think you're right, but what I think mst3k was saying is that since he spends the money anyway, the GC is worth it's face value to him (minus the 1-2% Cash Back that he would have gotten purchasing it with a credit card).

The margin on popular gift certificates on eBay has been declining. I usually try to pick up BN.com GC's and they're margins are lame nowadays

KnickFanRA said: HHH, I think you're right, but what I think mst3k was saying is that since he spends the money anyway, the GC is worth its face value to him (minus the 1-2% Cash Back that he would have gotten purchasing it with a credit card).
Right, but if he played it smarter by buying the gift cards on eB@y then the gift cards wouldn't be worth as much to him since he can get them for much cheaper...

I applied earlier this week (apparently right before they stopped apps) and it said a response will be sent to me via US mail.

You can try applying here although I don't know if it will work: http://dividend.citicards.com
Please let others know if you receive approval via this link.

Even though the Chase Rewards Plus card (5% supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, & 1% elsewhere) was not offered last month, I successfully applied and received my card via this link: FirstUSA Chase Rewards Plus Application.

I am interested to know what will happen to existing card holders.

Just spoke to a *Citi* CSR and she had said the Dividend card will be 2% for supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations. But they are adding 2% for Utilities and cable bill. She also stated that they will be sending (mailing?) notices next month.

Shelbyman said: Just spoke to a *Citi* CSR and she had said the Dividend card will be 2% for supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations. But they are adding 2% for Utilities and cable bill. She also stated that they will be sending (mailing?) notices next month.

2% CashBack or TY points?

Shelbyman said: Just spoke to a *Citi* CSR and she had said the Dividend card will be 2% for supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations. But they are adding 2% for Utilities and cable bill. She also stated that they will be sending (mailing?) notices next month.that spells the end of this card.

Shelbyman said: Just spoke to a *Citi* CSR and she had said the Dividend card will be 2% for supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations. But they are adding 2% for Utilities and cable bill. She also stated that they will be sending (mailing?) notices next month.

That stinks. Its not even competitive with current non 5% cards, let alone Chase 5%. I will be implementing my contingency plan this weekend.

Thats annoying if that is how it goes. Time to call Chase and see if I can convert one of my cards to their 5% program I guess. And then have Citi convert my College Student Dividend card to a mtvU card (hoping they will do that).

Hope citi lets me cash out my ~$40 in there without getting it up to $100, or at least switches me to the $50 cash-out limit (I have an old card from 2-3 years ago which can't cash out at $50, and they won't convert it to the $50 program). I'll be pretty annoyed if they want to change half the rules but not all of them on me.

Of course, I don't mind it if they leave me on the $100 program if it means still earning 5c/$.

Xeon852 said: And then have Citi convert my College Student Dividend card to a mtvU card (hoping they will do that).
Good luck trying to do that. As reported in the MTVU thread, everyone's been getting denied.

Kempman said: Xeon852 said: And then have Citi convert my College Student Dividend card to a mtvU card (hoping they will do that).
Good luck trying to do that. As reported in the MTVU thread, everyone's been getting denied.

Are you sure? I read that thread, and my perception is that people are waiting for a reply, but mass denials?

Kempman said: Xeon852 said: And then have Citi convert my College Student Dividend card to a mtvU card (hoping they will do that).

I only skimmed the thread, but it wasn't clear if people were converting Student Dividend cards or standard Dividend cards. If they won't do it, oh well, I'll just apply for mtvU once my revolving bal. dropps from my Citi Professional card.

cameron2003 said: Are you sure? I read that thread, and my perception is that people are waiting for a reply, but mass denials?
Pretty sure. A number of people, including myself, have called and tried to convert Dividend cards to the MTVU card. Though conversion is normally a piece of cake with Citi, CSRs won't do the MTVU conversions. It may have to do with the fact that the Dividend cards are Mastercard while the MTVU cards are Visa.

I have a Student VISA Dividend Card that I tried to convert 1 or 2 months ago and was told that I couldn't. So the VISA/MC difference has nothing to do with it. They probably just limit mtvU to new applications. I applied and got it...but it was a hassle since I now have 6 Citibank credit cards.

Well, if this unfortunate news spells the end of 5% cards, I'm going to have to retaliate by being more aggressive with my 0% BT AOR's.

SleepyNyte said: I have a Student VISA Dividend Card that I tried to convert 1 or 2 months ago and was told that I couldn't. So the VISA/MC difference has nothing to do with it. They probably just limit mtvU to new applications. I applied and got it...but it was a hassle since I now have 6 Citibank credit cards.

Guess that isn't happening then. Oh well.

Thats much better than them just canceling the card... I went over the 300$ reward limit this year, and I just need my account to stay open until January for me to cash out. Glad I just got that Chase Rewards Plus card

damn...this bites...I was just about to convert to this card for the 5%...

i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

user3657 said: i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

Guys, the advanta card is really a business card. Can one with no businesses use it? I know citi professional
card is also business card but the fact that advanta puts 'your business name' on the card just makes me uneasy.

asyoulike said: user3657 said: i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

Guys, the advanta card is really a business card. Can one with no businesses use it? I know citi professional
card is also business card but the fact that advanta puts 'your business name' on the card just makes me uneasy.

I have one. My "business" makes no money and I have no clients. Maybe someday, but actually Im not trying very hard.

asyoulike said: user3657 said: i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

My "home business" has earned me about $800 this year on eBay. I only charge my utilities and cell phone bills, which help with my business.

djspray said: asyoulike said: user3657 said: i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

My "home business" has earned me about $800 this year on eBay. I only charge my utilities and cell phone bills, which help with my business.

So you just come up with whatever 'business' name that sounds good to you and put it on your card?

asyoulike said: djspray said: asyoulike said: user3657 said: i will be using my advanta then......the only 2 cards i use is my 2% and the dividend on gas.......

So you just come up with whatever 'business' name that sounds good to you and put it on your card?

I just used my name.

If you can get one, the Advanta card is great. I have had good customer service with them also.

I have the Advanta Business Card and they just put it under my name. They did want to know who I worked for when I applied, but the card was set up under just my name. I verified on-line that the card is not associated with any business. I've had the card for over a year now, no problems at all.

I have the Travel card which has 5% Cash Back on Airfare, Hotels, Car Rentals and Dining.

I believe they are more strict when approving cards now, so YMMV

crash22 said: I have the Advanta Business Card and they just put it under my name. They did want to know who I worked for when I applied, but the card was set up under just my name. I verified on-line that the card is not associated with any business. I've had the card for over a year now, no problems at all.

I have the Travel card which has 5% Cash Back on Airfare, Hotels, Car Rentals and Dining.

I believe they are more strict when approving cards now, so YMMV

The new card is a little diff...no 5% dinning

"Automatically earn 5% Cash Back on gasoline, office supplies, utilities, computer equipment, cell phones and Internet services, and 1% on all other purchases."

Skipping 815 Messages...
To check, make a small purchase and look at your statement. I don't trust the CSRs.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.