• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have searched and did not see this topic in our archives.

Am meeting w/ an advisor about options for my paltry 125k IRA. She has hinted that a variable annuity with Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Perspective II family of funds would be a good place to go.

Do most advisors charge around 1.5% of your total annually to manage an account? This is a big decision - and I am reseraching the company and the annuity/IRA thing. I want to know WHY an annuity is a good idea for an IRA. The fund also charges expenses, of course.

Will think over the info I get tomorrow - no snap decisions for me. I thought someone here may have been down this road already.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There is NEVER a reason to put a variable annunity in an IRA. This is a sucker investment. The "advisor" wants to generate a high commision. You are paying twice as many fees because you are putting a tax deferred investment in a tax deffered investment (IRA). Call Fidelity, Vanguard or T. Rowe price immediately. These mutual fund companies will give you good ideas.

Yeah, to echo what was said, I'm not sure how this could possibly makes sense. This guy is just trying to make a fast buck and big comission off of you. I wouldn't do it.

fire your advisor. she does not have your best interests at heart.

About the 1.5% annual management fee - for comparison you could put your $125k into a total market index fund at Fidelity and pay 0.07% per year.

[Q]When Are IRA's best placed in a Variable Annuity?
never

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.