• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello all. I am hoping that you can provide some advice. I did try search through the various car threads, such as Archived: FW Finance FAQ: The Father of all Car Shopping, Financing & Leasing but did not see anything relevant.

My mom's friend wants to buy 3 cars in quick succession (within a month of each other). Right now, she is looking at the Toyota Corolla, Camry, and Tacoma (I know there are pros and cons of all of these cars, and you might prefer other cars out there, but this is what she wants). There is also a chance that my mom will buy a Toyota at the same time as well (we need a new car and we are open to getting a Toyota). So, potentially, this can be 4 (or at the very least, 3) cars that will be purchased from the same dealer within a month of each other. What is the best strategy for pursuing the best deals possible?

Would it be better to buy each car separately as though they were individual cars (using the methods described in the "Father of all Car Shopping, Financing & Leasing" thread linked above), OR

would it be better to buy the cars from the same dealer/salesman and tell them upfront that we will be buying more than one car from them? If so, who would it be best to talk to at the car dealership in this case (some friends of mine suggested talking to the Fleet Manager)?

If it helps, we are in Southern California and will probably purchase from one of the numerous Toyota dealerships in the So Cal area.

TIA! oxox4meeh

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I would probably try to do an experiment, but it all depends on the resources you have and whether you are going to be upfront with the dealer (meaning you blatantly ask for a deep discount, or just hint at it).

Have your friend go to the dealer and see what she can get for all cars together.

Then, have four different people get a quote for each car individually. Compare and see if they are overstating the "deal" they are giving you.

Another approach might be to tell the dealer that you have an interest in buying a car, and tell him that you would choose between the four. Have him get you quotes on all four, and then when you are armed with all that data, spring it on him that you want all four, but you need a better deal than that.

I just have a feeling that you won't get treated fairly without having some independent verification. They will do whatever it takes to convince you that they are bending over backwards... except actually bending over backwards; song and dance galore.

And always get it in writing, if you are not going to purchase the vehicles in only one transaction. I have had many run-ins with car dealers where they promise a deal to you, and then if you are supposed to come back (be it one hour later, one day later, or a week later - I have experienced it with all three time frames), they mysteriously sold to car to someone else, but they have another car ready that is almost the same. If you are serious about the deal, get it in writing.

I just really don't like car dealers. It seems judgmental, but if someone tells me they are a car dealer, then I assume they are they are not trustworthy. I have never met a car dealer that was honest, at the end of the day. I have met plenty that seem trustworthy, though... and they always prove that wrong. I guess it is the nature of purchasing automobiles. People don't tend to take very good care of their cars and they always have wear-n-tear no matter how good you treat them; they are not an insignificant purchase, so most people are trying to get over on someone (like people trading in their cars, the dealer selling a car they got stuck with, etc). And it is sad, because I am generally willing to give people the benefit of doubt and I feel people generally will do the right thing... just not car dealers.

Also, if you have someone who is typically weak-willed and easily persuaded (you can identify them easily because they are usually the first one to say that average people are easily persuaded)... like the wife... (sorry ranting a bit), then leave them at home. I went to shop for a van for the family, and the wife was going to be doing most of the driving, so she had a bit more of an interest in it, and rightly so. We went in with certain criteria, and we went to a dealer that sold that model (but we weren't buying new). The first thing the dealer did was try to talk me out of it... and get me into another brand model (I am thinking in my head about how stupid this is since it is the brand they are franchised with that I want). The reason was because they did not have any of those in stock. I am a "Buy American" type of person, for the most part, but the brand I hate the most is an American brand... and it happened to be the brand he was trying to push off on me. Before that day, I was stating that I would never own a minivan, and I would never own a Ford (again, I hate them from experience). That day, I owned a Ford (well, Mercury) minivan. That dealer will never get another cent from me again. If he would have said that they don't have any and that he could check on one of their other lots, or maybe even a competitor, I would have held this guy up as the only honest car dealer, and I would have came right back for my next vehicle... I would have recommended everyone I know to this one honest dealer. The guy still sends me Christmas cards... I am considering sending them back with a note about how I still feel. Every time I get in that van and move the seats around, I curse Ford and that dealer; they can't even do something simple like have each of the second-row bucket seats operate in an identical manner, besides the fact that one is passenger's side and one is driver's side.

Anyhow, I am sure that I am not the only person to have had a bad experience with a car dealer, and no doubt you have as well, since you are trying to work out a way to get them to give you a deal... something that generally anyone else would do if they were going to get a sizable chunk of business from someone. Sorry for the rant... hopefully you find something useful from it.

As far as buying the cars within a month of eachother... it would always be a better bargaining chip to buy all 3 or 4 in one day, at the same time. You can do a lot of the things above to make sure you're getting a good deal... but above all, browse FW, toyota boards, etc, and see what the cheapest people are getting the mentioned cars for... then figure in an additional discount for buying all of them at the same time. My uncle bought Toyota 4runners a while back with 10+ people and they got unbeliavable deals... 4 cars at once will still save you a lot. Just be sure that they know you'll make it a quick and easy 4 sales, as long as you get the price you know you deserve. Also, make sure they know that you are "shopping other Toyota dealers" and will buy from whoever gives you the best package price.... they'll jump on the sale as 4 deals in that short of a time is a lot for ANY salesperson...

I would definitely speak directly to a Fleet Manager and work the deal through one salesperson on the same day. Selling three cars in one day is called a "hat trick" and the salesman gets a bonus for a hat trick. Being honest and upfront with the salesperson that you will be purchasing 4 cars in one day will get you a much better deal than purchases spread out over a few weeks. Do your research before hand on KBB.com or elsewhere and know the dealer costs and rebates before you go in to work the deal. Go on the last day of the month, or last weekend of the month as you'll get a salesperson who wants to negotiate to reach their monthly bonus quotas.

Dealers don't like people who "shop around" and use that term as a sort of threat, pining dealers against one another. Salespeople don't get paid unless they sell (and you buy). Taking a salesperson's time to test drive, work on a price, etc. and then leaving to "shop around" will not leave you in the salesperson's good graces and they will try to pound you if you come back in looking for the same deal they quoted you on your first visit. Doing your research beforehand will defintely put you in the driver's seat and high-volume dealers can usually afford to offer a cheaper price.

Good luck!

The more cars you try to buy at a time the better leverage you will have. The second you mention that you want to buy 4 cars at once the salesman's eyes will light up like a Christmas tree. He will not want to lose you as a customer. Don't forget to use common sense as well and get multiple quotes from different dealerships.

Agreed. To sum up: Do research and buy them all on same day from same salesperson.
My friend recently became a toyota car salesman and at his dealership their % commission steps up based on volume (so when they sell 10 cars its 5% higher, 15 cars 5% higher than that, etc.), so just the increase in volume will significantly increase their monthly take.

ragnacor1234 said: [Q]The more cars you try to buy at a time the better leverage you will have. The second you mention that you want to buy 4 cars at once the salesman's eyes will light up like a Christmas tree. He will not want to lose you as a customer. Don't forget to use common sense as well and get multiple quotes from different dealerships.

Ask them for a Buy 3, get one free deal. If they argue with you tell them that the grocery store has buy one get 1 free on many items, so buy 3 get one free is highly reasonable.

The trick is to know exactly what you want. Once you have that information simply pick up your phone and start calling Toyota dealers in a 50 or 100 mile radius. Tell them what you want and ask them for the best possible price. When they give you that price write it down, say thank you, and call the next dealership. Tell them what you want and that you have a price of XXX and can they beat it. When they say yes write that number down, say thank you, and call the next. When you get to the bottom of the list call the first dealership back with your lowest number. Repeat until you find the absolute lowest price.

I would buy American.

autologic said: [Q]The trick is to know exactly what you want. Once you have that information simply pick up your phone and start calling Toyota dealers in a 50 or 100 mile radius. Tell them what you want and ask them for the best possible price. When they give you that price write it down, say thank you, and call the next dealership. Tell them what you want and that you have a price of XXX and can they beat it. When they say yes write that number down, say thank you, and call the next. When you get to the bottom of the list call the first dealership back with your lowest number. Repeat until you find the absolute lowest price.

Did that on my last two cars.. worked like a charm and in both cases ended up buying from the local dealer who came down to the lowest price (under invoice).

You get to a point where other dealers say we can match it but can't beat it... that is when you know you have hit close to bottom.

quaters said: [Q]autologic said: [Q]The trick is to know exactly what you want. Once you have that information simply pick up your phone and start calling Toyota dealers in a 50 or 100 mile radius. Tell them what you want and ask them for the best possible price. When they give you that price write it down, say thank you, and call the next dealership. Tell them what you want and that you have a price of XXX and can they beat it. When they say yes write that number down, say thank you, and call the next. When you get to the bottom of the list call the first dealership back with your lowest number. Repeat until you find the absolute lowest price.

Did that on my last two cars.. worked like a charm and in both cases ended up buying from the local dealer who came down to the lowest price (under invoice).

You get to a point where other dealers say we can match it but can't beat it... that is when you know you have hit close to bottom.

I've done this also and it works like a charm. My suggestion would be to start farther out and work closer because you will usually find somethings close to you that will give you the best deal. Then you don't ahve to dire 100 miles to pickup your car.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014