• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I just had a child... Thinking of opening up a bank account under her name and SSN. All the banking threads in FWF that has high interest rates I see are for 18 & over(I think). Anyone have any advice on opening a custodial account with decent rates? could be savings, MMA, CDs...

I already have a 529 setup... but also want to open up a bank acct.

TIA

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why do you want to open a bank account for the child?

you can open one at UFB Direct.

click here for more info

Affinity Bank has a nice one: http://www.affinitybank.com/pb/rates.asp

The Kid's Only Savings pays 10% on the first $500 (then drops to the "gold rate" of less than 1%). You have to open a checking account, but there is a free one that you can open with $100, that has no min. balance. Open it first, then open the Kid's Savings with <$500, and transfer $99 from the checking account over to the Kid's acct on the website.

Note that the Kid's account it truly a custodial, and not joint, so you can't just transfer the money out (even back to the checking account you transfered in from). The custodian has to send a signed letter/fax requesting a check issued to get money out of the account. This really complicated my plan of taking out the interest payments and putting them in an ING or UFB type account for my kid, and just maintaining a $500 balance at Affinity.

You can also open a Sharebuilder account and get a sign up bonus on both individual and custodial accounts: Sharebuilder FAQ/Promo thread

ING sometimes has 1 time use $25 sign up bonus codes in newspapers or personal finance mags (Kiplinger's, Smart Money, etc). You can open a joint account with them (put child's name first if you have an ING account to make sure you get the bonus). Their rates aren't the best, but if you put in $1 and let them put in $25, just let it grow on it's own (or move the $25 to UFB or Affinity). You could also 'refer' your child to ING and get him/her a $25 bonus and yourself $10, if you deposit $250 for him/her.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014