• filter:
  • 151525354 55
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Have a great and interesting post. i really like it and would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. I hope that you will continue to post here with us.

rated:
whats the opinion on barclays?

rated:
I closed out my Barclays 5 year CD in January and moved it to the 3% 5 year CD which was available at Penfed at the time.

The reason why I closed out the Barclays CD was because my Barclays account number was visible on the statements page.  My transfer bank account number was also clearly visible.  When my 1099-DIV was posted on the statements page, my social security number was clearly visible on the statements page.  When I called Barclays to complain about the lack of security, I was told they would not do anything to blank out the account numbers and my social security number unless they "see a trend".  I asked what that meant and the CSR said they would have to receive many phone calls complaining about the possible security leaks before they would fix the problem.  I told them to cancel my account and I would gladly pay the early withdrawal penalty to move my money away from Barclays.  No regrets.  Done with Barclays forever.

rated:
How is putting the bank account number on the bank statement a security problem? Especially for a time deposit. Bank account numbers aren't state secrets. If you have a checking account, you might even notice that the bank puts your account number on every check! And most people give out checks to more people than they give their bank statements to.

just something to think about.

rated:
And checks have routing numbers

rated:
My online accounts at Ally Bank and Penfed block out all but the last 4 digits of my account numbers, same with my social security number.  I would expect Barclays to do the same.

Having my social security number in plain sight on Barclays website is a hackers dream come true.  Barclays refuses to tighten their security measures, so I closed out my accounts.

I realize that every paper check has the account number and the bank routing number on it, but I rarely write a paper check anymore.

rated:
Kaylee28 said:   My online accounts at Ally Bank and Penfed block out all but the last 4 digits of my account numbers, same with my social security number.  I would expect Barclays to do the same.

Having my social security number in plain sight on Barclays website is a hackers dream come true.  Barclays refuses to tighten their security measures, so I closed out my accounts.

I realize that every paper check has the account number and the bank routing number on it, but I rarely write a paper check anymore.

Unlike regular email, the Barclay's website is encrypted, and it is done properly.  If anyone is viewing your CD account number "in plain sight," ask them to kindly  stop looking over your shoulder.  Hardly a "hackers dream come true."
I'm critical of true security issues, but this certainly isn't one of them.

By the way, have you ever applied for a mortgage?  How did you send your tax returns, W-2, bank statement documents to the broker, and how did the broker exchange the same with the underwriters?  

rated:
did penfed get rid of their cds?

rated:
titan01 said:   did penfed get rid of their cds?
  No.  They've always been  called "money market certificates" at PenFed CU. 

rated:
Liberty Bank (Conn.) advertised these CD rates today (April 7). Checking account required.
3 year 2.00% APY
4 year 2.25% APY
5 year 2.50% APY

Limited to:
•CT - all residents
•MA - residents of Hampden, Hampshire, Worcester Counties
•RI - residents of Washington County

One account per household. $1K minimum, $250K max.

Can't find the advertised rates on the website -- just in today's Hartford Courant ad.
They are doing signups by phone: 888-570-0773, or at branches.

rated:
What is the title of this thread?

I recommend starting a separate thread for your local bank or perhaps starting a local bank thread. 

rated:
NEDeals said:   What is the title of this thread?
  If there's a "Best regionally available rates" thread, please share it with us. Otherwise I think it's better posted here than not at all - at least some people may benefit, and these days it's not like the deals are coming so hot and heavy that the server is overloaded and the readers go bleary-eyed sorting through them all.

rated:
thanks!!!

rated:
Transportation Federal Credit Union has a 2% 36 month CD (min $1,000). Anyone can join this credit union by joining the American Consumer Council.
https://www.transfcu.org/?page=anniversary_certificate 
http://www.americanconsumercouncil.org/ 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 151525354 55
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014