• filter:
  • 152535455 56
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
drazda said:   Penfed increased their rates for January.

Term Dividend Rate APY
6 Month 0.35% 0.35%**
1-Year 1.10% 1.11%
2-Year 1.35% 1.36%
3-Year 1.400% 1.41%
4-Year 1.400% 1.41%
5-Year 1.750% 1.76%
7-Year 2.000% 2.02%
 

  Sigh.  I guess we are not getting the deal from last year (3%).  I waiting for it...

rated:
drazda said:   Penfed increased their rates for January.

Term Dividend Rate APY
6 Month 0.35% 0.35%**
1-Year 1.10% 1.11%
2-Year 1.35% 1.36%
3-Year 1.400% 1.41%
4-Year 1.400% 1.41%
5-Year 1.750% 1.76%
7-Year 2.000% 2.02%

  Difficult to justify any of these given Ally and Barclay rates 5 year rates with penalties that result in >1% interest after only 11 months.

rated:
Waffles said:   The Lutheran Church Extension Fund is offering a 2 year ConnectPLUS Term Note that pays 3% on the first $5,000 and 1% on amounts exceeding $5,000 (not available in OH or PA).
LINK 

There is also a Young Investor Steward Account that pays 3.5% on the first $1,000 and 1% on amounts exceeding $1,000 (not available in SC).
LINK

  I haven't checked the 2nd link but the 1st one is not FDIC insured, just FYI.

rated:
gonzo787 said:   
psychoslowmatic said:   Tobyhanna FCU 7-year Prime Rate Certificate. It has a few unique features:

1) Rate is Prime-3.75% with a 3.04% floor, 7.23% ceiling for up to 100k, 0.05% over
2) Min 1k to open
3) Additional deposits at any time of any amount are allowed
4) Two year's interest early withdrawal penalty, which can bite into principal if it's been open <2 years
5) Have to reinvest interest
6) Membership available to everyone through American Consumer Council, but they do a hard pull.

Seems like cheap insurance against a continued low rate environment to open it with the min and wait a couple years.
I'm kind of tempted to open it and refi into a NavyFed 5/5 (from a 15 year) then see if it makes sense to pay off the house when it vests. Take any discussion to the discussion thread.

Deposit Accounts discussion: https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2014/12/tobyfcus-prime-rate-certificate-good-deal.html 
https://www.tobyhannafcu.org/personal/savingsandcds/certificates.html

  
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this. If you want a long-term safe way to earn a few %, this seems to be the way to go, no? 

As of this AM, Tobyhanna is now Valor FCU.  They have discontinued the Prime rate certificate.
 

rated:
sfchris said:   
kettledrum said:   Any opinion on the 1.37% blended 1 yr certificate at Connexus CU?

https://www.connexuscu.org/savings/share-certificate 

Deposit Accounts post on this deal

  The rep tells me this has been extended until January 31st (money must be received by then).

  After being alerted by user "Argyll" about some very sneaky fine print in this deal, I called Connexus and verified:

If you withdraw money early, all remaining money is frozen at the interest rate tier it is currently on. So if you withdraw 50k of a 100k CD after two months, the remaining 50k earns only 1% for the remaining 10 months instead of stepping up to 1.5% and then 2%..

It's really too bad because the customer service at this CU is the best I have ever seen.

rated:
I just found out that a one year CD in my Penfed IRA is 0.95% APY while in a taxable account it is 1.0% APY.

It can make a difference on a large principal amount: $122 on  250K over the year.

I would probably lose more than that in interest by closing it and transferring to another bank but be aware if you are opening one.

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   Tobyhanna FCU 7-year Prime Rate Certificate. It has a few unique features:

1) Rate is Prime-3.75% with a 3.04% floor, 7.23% ceiling for up to 100k, 0.05% over
2) Min 1k to open
3) Additional deposits at any time of any amount are allowed
4) Two year's interest early withdrawal penalty, which can bite into principal if it's been open <2 years
5) Have to reinvest interest
6) Membership available to everyone through American Consumer Council, but they do a hard pull.

Seems like cheap insurance against a continued low rate environment to open it with the min and wait a couple years.
I'm kind of tempted to open it and refi into a NavyFed 5/5 (from a 15 year) then see if it makes sense to pay off the house when it vests. Take any discussion to the discussion thread.

Deposit Accounts discussion: https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2014/12/tobyfcus-prime-rate-certificate-good-deal.html 
https://www.tobyhannafcu.org/personal/savingsandcds/certificates.html

  
The new Valor Credit Union (formerly Tobyhanna) is adding a 3% fee onto any additional deposits you make after 3/17.  It'll basically cancel the interest on new deposits for a year.  The Prime Rate CD isn't offered anymore.  https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/02/valor-credit-union-adding-fee-punishes-members-prime-rate-cds.html  

UPDATE 2/19: Valor is dropping the fee, see above link.

rated:
Live Oak Bank, 2.5% *simple interest, no compounding* 5 year CD, 25k minimum, allows add-on deposits of at least $1k, 180 days EWP. Bank allows anyone to become a member online. Deal ends Sunday.
http://www.liveoakbank.com/deposits/

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/02/top-5year-cd-rate-l...

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   Live Oak Bank, 2.5% *simple interest, no compounding* 5 year CD, 25k minimum, allows add-on deposits of at least $1k, 180 days EWP. Bank allows anyone to become a member online. Deal ends Sunday.
http://www.liveoakbank.com/deposits/ 

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/02/top-5year-cd-rate-live-oak-bank.html

  
Simple interest, been a while since ive seen a bank that won't compound on a CD.

25k minimum is rough, but 2.5% is great.  I'm going to have to think hard about this for the next 16 hours.
 

rated:
denbo32 said:   
psychoslowmatic said:   Live Oak Bank, 2.5% *simple interest, no compounding* 5 year CD, 25k minimum, allows add-on deposits of at least $1k, 180 days EWP. Bank allows anyone to become a member online. Deal ends Sunday.
http://www.liveoakbank.com/deposits/ 

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/02/top-5year-cd-rate-live-oak-bank.html

  
Simple interest, been a while since ive seen a bank that won't compound on a CD.

25k minimum is rough, but 2.5% is great.  I'm going to have to think hard about this for the next 16 hours.

  Have the interest credited to an external account, then have them deposit it every time it gets over $1k.  It won't be compounded monthly but still pretty good.
 

rated:
Live Oak has lowered the simple rate CD to 1.5%.

rated:
NW FCU  12 month 1.21% "Limited Time Offer" -- minimum $10,000

https://www.nwfcu.org/promocertificate/

rated:
Elements Financial 32 month "Shamrock Special" 2.00% - probably until March 17th

http://www.elements.org/Shamrock_Certificate_Rate

rated:
Navy Federal is offering a 0.5% bonus on one CD in March. Enter code CERT2015 when opening. https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/03/navy-federal-credit...

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   Navy Federal is offering a 0.5% bonus on one CD in March. Enter code CERT2015 when opening. https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2015/03/navy-federal-credit-unions-hot-share-certificate-promotion.html
  ..requires military connections though...

rated:
20k-100k as well

rated:
denbo32 said:   20k-100k as well
  Not true, the rates for lower amounts are a little less, deposit accounts just picked an amount for the example.  I thought everyone on Fatwallet would know what's up with Navy Fed or USAA when they see the name but a lot of us got in when they bought the other CU a few years ago.

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   
denbo32 said:   20k-100k as well
  Not true, the rates for lower amounts are a little less, deposit accounts just picked an amount for the example.  I thought everyone on Fatwallet would know what's up with Navy Fed or USAA when they see the name but a lot of us got in when they bought the other CU a few years ago.

  Are you implying that there is a way to join if you are not affliliated with the military?

rated:
Your connection can also be a DOD civilian employee or DOD contractor, or civilian employee of Army or Air Force National Guard. You can join if a close relative is/was in the military or employed as a civilian. They do not have to be an NFCU member for you to join.

rated:
I'm told that Live Oak Bank will do a 2nd issue of 5-year, 2.5% simple-interest, add-on CDs. 

These will be similar to the CDs issued in the offering noted in this thread by psychoslowmatic on 2/20/15.  There will be 2 differences from that offering - 1) Offer will start Monday 3/9/15 and last until noon on 3/13/15.  2) Minimum initial deposit will be $75K, not $25K.  All other terms and procedures should be the same.

Apparently they are "topping off" the funds they raised a couple of weeks ago.  I started a couple of CDs during that offer, and as far as I am concerned they have handled things quite competently.

rated:
sfchris said:   
psychoslowmatic said:   
denbo32 said:   20k-100k as well
  Not true, the rates for lower amounts are a little less, deposit accounts just picked an amount for the example.  I thought everyone on Fatwallet would know what's up with Navy Fed or USAA when they see the name but a lot of us got in when they bought the other CU a few years ago.

  Are you implying that there is a way to join if you are not affliliated with the military?
 

  No.  It gets asked after every mention of Navy Fed, so I thought everyone would know the answer by now.

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   
sfchris said:   
psychoslowmatic said:   
denbo32 said:   20k-100k as well
  Not true, the rates for lower amounts are a little less, deposit accounts just picked an amount for the example.  I thought everyone on Fatwallet would know what's up with Navy Fed or USAA when they see the name but a lot of us got in when they bought the other CU a few years ago.

  Are you implying that there is a way to join if you are not affliliated with the military?

  No.  It gets asked after every mention of Navy Fed, so I thought everyone would know the answer by now.

And I thought by now everyone would have read the very first sentence listed under the posting guidelines...

RATES POSTED should be those OPEN NATIONWIDE TO ALL PERSONS"

 

rated:
NW FCU 18 month 1.51% "Limited Time Offer" -- minimum $1,000

https://www.nwfcu.org/promocertificate/

rated:
Argyll, I filled out the online Membership App this morning. Waiting for approval and details for depositing funds.
Any idea of wait period on opening a new account?

rated:
pattyB said:   Argyll, I filled out the online Membership App this morning. Waiting for approval and details for depositing funds.
Any idea of wait period on opening a new account?

  Give them a call -- their reps are usually helpful.

rated:
Argyll, is there any estimate on how long this will be available?

rated:
orkneycreator said:   Argyll, is there any estimate on how long this will be available?
  These are most frequently one-month promotions, but they can stop it at any time.

rated:
Argyll said:   NW FCU 18 month 1.51% "Limited Time Offer" -- minimum $1,000

https://www.nwfcu.org/promocertificate/

  
Additonal information from the application page:

"18 Month Promo CDThis special certificate can be ACH funded up to $15,000 with new funds to the Credit Union only.
For amounts exceeding $15,000, please contact a new accounts specialist at 703-709-8900 x4903.
No internal transfers from other Northwest Federal accounts."

rated:
How good is 1.21% for 12 Month CD?
Anybody has any experience with http://bankdirect.com/ ?

rated:
I have not used these banks but they currently show a slightly better rate than 1.21% 

You can get 1.35% from Colorado Federal
http://www.coloradofederalbank.com/certificateRates.htm

Or 1.23% at synchrony bank
https://www.myoptimizerplus.com/banking/products/cd/index.htm

rated:
Ally "Raise Your Rate" 4 year CD (allows two rate increases over the term of the CD) went from 1.3% to 1.4%.

rated:
Looks like Penfed rates went up on shorter term (4 year and less) and down on longer term (5 years or more).
(Wiki post updated to reflect new rates)....

6 Month 0.81% 0.81%**
1-Year 1.30% 1.31%
2-Year 1.40% 1.41%
3-Year 1.40% 1.41%
4-Year 1.40% 1.41%
5-Year 1.50% 1.51%
7-Year 1.50% 1.51%


rated:
Got this offer in the mail
14 month at 1.25% with $1000 minimum

http://www.citizensbank.com/promotions/cd/14CD/

rated:
Cardinal Bank. 6 month no penalty cd 1.50% apy

1k min ; 1M max deposit
New money only

1 penalty free withdrawal
Subsequent withdrawals subject to 3 mo penalty on amount withdrawn

Call 1.800.473.3247
www.cardinal.bank
VA, MD, and Washington DC locations (not clear if you can open a cd if you live somewhere else)

rated:
Penfed now has 1 year CD at 1.30%
Minimum is 1000

https://penfed.org/Money-Market-Certificate/?WT.mc_id=E2496&adco...

rated:
Just stopped by Penfed to open a new 1 year CD and the rate is now back down to 1.06% APY.

https://penfed.org/Money-Market-Certificate/

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015