• filter:
  • 12 3 4555
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have to say I am have been very impressed with Penfed CU since I opened a 3 year 6.25% CD APY with them.Going from Bank or America to them is like going from night to day....If this is how all CU's operate I might never go back to a bank again.

I would recommend them to anyone,never mind the amazing rate,but the customer service alone is worth it.

rated:
jack07002 said: I have to say I am have been very impressed with Penfed CU since I opened a 3 year 6.25% CD APY with them.Going from Bank or America to them is like going from night to day....If this is how all CU's operate I might never go back to a bank again.

I would recommend them to anyone,never mind the amazing rate,but the customer service alone is worth it.

You are so right. I had occasion to call them a number of times setting up two separate transactions. Each time I called, everyone I talked to was pleasant, & always answered my questions knowledgeably, either right away, or after seeking more info, a few moments later. Their 'customer service' definitely deserves a nod compared to the misinformation you get from the 'c s' at many other institutions. Their 6.25% cd, too.

rated:
I also want to share my experience w/ PenFed. I've had accounts with them since 2005 (back when 5yr 5% cd was a good deal!), these guys provide top notch service and most importantly 24x7 GOOD & FRIENDLY customer service. There have been about 3-4 times since I've opened the accounts, including a couple late night calls, all of them were handled professionally by their staff. It's as if they are actually happy working there. I couldn't believe it.

anyways, a BIG thumb-up to PenFed, regardless of their rate! (of course.. the 6.25% makes it GREAT!)

followthemoney said: jack07002 said: I have to say I am have been very impressed with Penfed CU since I opened a 3 year 6.25% CD APY with them.Going from Bank or America to them is like going from night to day....If this is how all CU's operate I might never go back to a bank again.

You are so right. I had occasion to call them a number of times setting up two separate transactions. Each time I called, everyone I talked to was pleasant, & always answered my questions knowledgeably, either right away, or after seeking more info, a few moments later. Their 'customer service' definitely deserves a nod compared to the misinformation you get from the 'c s' at many other institutions. Their 6.25% cd, too.

rated:
Why not discuss how good PenFed is in the CD discussion thread?
CD Discussion Thread

rated:
Georgia B & M only:

5.80 9-month CD

Metro City Bank

Link - the info is not on the website,
This is advertised in local asian paper but open to any walk-in.

770-455-4989

5441 Buford Hwy, suite 109, Doraville, GA 30340

rated:
5 month World savings CD gone
replaced by 10 month CD - same rate 5.45% APY
updated summary

Also checked and updated many(all?) rates at 9 month or less.

Lots of small moves up and down - like .15% or less

I am starting to see a lot of 30 month CDs...should this become a section in the summary, rather than tucked in to the "odd-term" listing?

rated:
jensenjp said:

I am starting to see a lot of 30 month CDs...should this become a section in the summary, rather than tucked in to the "odd-term" listing?

I vote yes to a 30 month CD section.

Thank You jensenjp!

rated:
BANKRATE RATING INCORRECT

bankrate continues to rate Marian Miami FCU in Miami , AZ as a "5" with a safety and soundness rating of 1.

This institution has been seized and liquidated by NCUA.

rated:
traderprofit said: BANKRATE RATING INCORRECT

bankrate continues to rate Marian Miami FCU in Miami , AZ as a "5" with a safety and soundness rating of 1.

This institution has been seized and liquidated by NCUA.

\\
I found this story about it:
null

Let's discuss it in the CD discussion thread here:null

rated:
Checked most of the rates lots of small moves up and down by ~.15% or less
I did not get to check every rate listed, but I did update many of the rates.

Also I corrected/moved some of the listing that were out of order(descending APY rate).

rated:
According to BankDeals, Netbank has raised its CD rates. Terms of 1 year to 2 years have an APY of 5.40%. Longer terms have an APY of 5.35%. The minimum deposit is $1,000.

There is also a bonus ranging up to $100 for new accounts. Unfortunately, NetBank currently has a low safe and sound rating at Bankrate.com of 1 out of 5 stars (weak).

rated:
American Bank has a 7 Month CD at 5.70%, Has an online application you can print and this usually means you can do by mail. I sent them a EM asking and will update with answer. As with some past banks specials I would not doubt they will say yes until the FW affect and then they will close to out of State
American Bank

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: According to BankDeals, Netbank has raised its CD rates. Terms of 1 year to 2 years have an APY of 5.40%. Longer terms have an APY of 5.35%. The minimum deposit is $1,000.

There is also a bonus ranging up to $100 for new accounts. Unfortunately, NetBank currently has a low safe and sound rating at Bankrate.com of 1 out of 5 stars (weak).

I'd avoid NetBank at any cost. Had some bad experiences with them. their servise and attitude is not even close to a bank.

rated:
I second that comment!

I'd stay away from NetBank....

The customer service I experienced from them was awful!

My CD expires with them soon (fortunately)

rated:
scott1961 said: American Bank has a 7 Month CD at 5.70%, Has an online application you can print and this usually means you can do by mail. I sent them a EM asking and will update with answer. As with some past banks specials I would not doubt they will say yes until the FW affect and then they will close to out of State
American Bank

I did not see this on the weblink on 1-24... any update?

rated:
Don't forget penfed's 6.25% rates end 1/31, better get them while they are there. Rumor mill says they go to 6.00% in feb.... Of course they might go even lower who knows...

rated:
>>UP
E*Trade 1y CD @ 5.40% APY

rated:
Found a great rate in Madison, WI and called my local bank (live 20 miles away) and the local bank matched Madison rate! Saved time and gas. Guess it pays to ask!

rated:
Can't find where it said it. But how do I join PenFed I would like to open a cd for there 6.25 . I have about 20,000. to put in, is that the best I can get?

rated:
Bridgeview Bank (Chicago, IL) just announced today a Chicago Bears Super Bowl Special 5 month CD @ 5.50%, min $2500 good thru this Sat. Feb 3. Don't know if this is local only, 1-800-794-2070 for rate info.

rated:
Regarding the PenFed CD Rates @ 6.25% for 3+ yrs available I was planning on putting my parents IRA money from Fidelity into this CD. I was planning on going for the 3 yr term but wanted to know what everyone's ideas on this are (should we go longer up to 7 yrs?) I have never done a transfer like this before but I know Fidelity is quite easy when closing out accounts and what not. I am calling PenFed right now to get some more details. The only problem I foresee is them requiring physical paperwork on the IRA transfer and since there is not much time left they may not approve it before the deadline. Do you guys think they would be willing to approve all the paperwork via fax/email?

rated:
if the money is readily available for ACH transfer, you could do it online. not much time left! i went 3,4 &5 yrs ... didn't have the guts to go 7.

rated:
So I just spoke with a 2 reps the first one said it was a long shot and you probably will not make it since we require a physical application because a fax will not do. Not satisfied with the answer I called again and another rep. said I could put wire the money into a Share account and fax over the IRA app. and they will date it accordingly to make the deadline since they are backed up right now. Gonna go for thanks FW!

rated:
PENFED MONEY MARKET CERTIFICATE RATES
Effective February 01, 2007 - February 28, 2007

Term DividendRate APY

6-Month 3.96% 4.00%

1-Year 4.24% 4.33%

2-Year 4.66% 4.76%

3-Year 5.36% 5.50%

4-Year 5.36% 5.50%

5-Year 5.59% 5.75%

7-Year 5.83% 6.00%

$1,000 minimum deposit
APY = Annual Percentage Yield

rated:
I updated the list/summary for you TC 8-)

ThursdaysChild said: PENFED MONEY MARKET CERTIFICATE RATES
Effective February 01, 2007 - February 28, 2007

Term DividendRate APY

6-Month 3.96% 4.00%

1-Year 4.24% 4.33%

2-Year 4.66% 4.76%

3-Year 5.36% 5.50%

4-Year 5.36% 5.50%

5-Year 5.59% 5.75%

7-Year 5.83% 6.00%

$1,000 minimum deposit
APY = Annual Percentage Yield

rated:
Update

WaMu has a CD promotion right now called WaMu CD with Add-On feature.

5.35% APY 10 month (New Money Special)
5.25% APY 8 month (Existing Money Special)

This has been confirmed in Los Angeles, CA. I just opened one today. The promo sheet says also available in TX. Offer ends 3/1/07.

Min is $1000. Add-On feature is you can deposit money into the CD at anytime you want. BUT the max deposit you can add on is the principle. Example, open CD with $5000. The max you can add on is another $5000.

I think this is the best I've seen from Wamu in a long time, and for those who prefer to deal with a local bank with many branches.

Link Wamu CD rates

This seems exactly like the deal mabrikh posted. I will take a pic of the sheet I got.

Promo sheet

rated:
Washington Federal Savings serves the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Texas and Arizona with over 100 branches.

My local branch has an 8 month CD @ 5.35% APY. Local CSR good for all of Oregon, maybe other states too.

rated:
Here in Denver, CO, I saw WaMu has the follwing special. I grabbed a paper about the rates while I was there to do the trasanctions. It says:

New Money Special: 10 Month Term for 5.28 % APY (75 % of the total account balance must be new money)

Existing Money Special: 8 Month term for 5.13 % APY

It seems good deal but....poor me....i don't have any disposable money to put in the CD

Edit: Edited for grammer

rated:
Virtual Bank just dropped 3 month CD from 5.50% to 5.44%. Still not bad but glad I got another 3 month yesterday

rated:
Ridgewood Savings Bank has a 6.25% 10 year IRA cd with a $2000 min. I opened a cd in 2005 at a branch. The bank is located in NY.

https://www.ridgewoodbank.com/site/promo_ira.html

Ridgewood also has a grand opening special at 2 branches. There is a 5 year 5% cd, 7 year 5.5% & a 10 year 6% cd. All cd's also have a choice of gifts. The special at one branch lasts until Feb 24 & Mar 3 at the other.

https://www.ridgewoodbank.com/site/promo_newbranch.html

rated:
HSBC started it's 6% promo with $1 minimum, but the 6% rate only applies till 4/30/07.

rated:
100 day's 6% CD and you can get a $100 bonus, Don't know details but I saw this over on eMoney, Will send em asking.

Grafton

More Than You Expect
100 Years & Growing Strong

100 Day CD at 6.00% APY*

Earn More Than You Expect and improve your financial well-being!

To help celebrate our 100th year of serving our community, we are offering for a limited time a 100 day CD at 6.00% APY. Maximize your earnings while saving with your trusted financial advisor.

MainStreet Interest Checking + $100**

Open a new MainStreet Interest Checking Account and get more than you expect - $100 in cash! And no maintenance fees!

Our 100th year means $100 in cash for you when you open a new MainStreet Interest Checking Account. Our MainStreet Interest Checking Account offers a variable rate of interest and includes your first order of checks with this limited time offer. Bank with the community leader you know and trust.

*Must open a MainStreet Interest Checking Account with a $100 minimum deposit and a 100 day CD (Certificate of Deposit) with a $5,000 minimum deposit to obtain CD at 6.00% APY (Annual Percentage Yield). APY effective January 23, 2007. CD requires $5,000 minimum balance to obtain APY. This account has a 100 day maturity and does not automatically renew. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. New money only. Offer not valid on conversions or transfers from existing accounts at Community Financial Group member banks.

**$100 minimum deposit is required to open a MainStreet Interest Checking and to receive the bonus. $100 bonus cannot be part of opening deposit. Offer not valid on conversions or transfers from existing accounts. Account must remain open for a minimum of six months or $100 will be debited from the account at closing. $100 cash bonus given at account opening and is reportable on Form 1099-INT. APY is 0.40% and is current as of January 23, 2007. Your APY is subject to change at any time. Fees may reduce earnings. Offer valid for qualified clients on a new MainStreet Interest Checking Account opened after January 22, 2007 and through February 28, 2007.
One $100 bonus per household.

rated:
Amboy direct has 5.35% APY CD for 12 month if you have Amboy Direct (online) account.

To Open Online:
Enter the deposit amount and your Amboy Direct account number
Submit your request
CD deposit will be transferred from your Amboy Direct account
A confirmation will be emailed to you
Principal and interest will be transferred to your Amboy Direct account at maturity

CD Amount: :$10,000 minimum, $50,000 maximum

To Open By Mail:
Complete
Write a personal check, payable to yourself (your full name) for the amount of your CD.
Mail the check and the completed form to:

Amboy Direct - CD Offer
3590 US 9 South
Old Bridge, NJ 08857
1-877-22-AMBOY

rated:
scott1961 said: 100 day's 6% CD and you can get a $100 bonus, Don't know details but I saw this over on eMoney, Will send em asking.

Grafton

More Than You Expect

100 Day CD at 6.00% APY*

To help celebrate our 100th year of serving our community, we are offering for a limited time a 100 day CD at 6.00% APY. Maximize your earnings while saving with your trusted financial advisor.

Anyone open an account with them? Are they trustworthy?

rated:

I called them and was told I need to go in person. As I am in different state no go for me

rated:
Navy Federal now offers up to 6.25% at www.navyfcu.org :

6.25% APY*, $20,000 minimum, 7-year term
6.00% APY**, $8,000 minimum, 15-month term

rated:
MerrillLynch
Merrill is having another CD promo starting 2/12. 6 Month 5.50% $25k Min. Also you can receive 15,000 Merrill Points if you get a Merrill VISA

rated:
ING seems to have a good 12month cd with 5.02% check them out

rated:
I'm going to post this on the off chance it is useful to someone.

If you're in (or can get in via a partner) to MidWest Financial Credit Union. They have a couple CDs worth looking at as part of their Advance Interest Certificates. With these, they give you all the interest up front (well, after 20 days) for the entire term. I believe that they incorrectly compute the APY on these. The two I thought were most promising were:
2 Year
@ $10,000 - rate 4.91% (minor increase for higher balances is basically inconsequential)
after 20 days, they give you $491 x 2 = $982 so your net investment is $10,000 - $981 = $9019
in two years you get $10,000 out so
((981/9019)+1)^(1/2) - 1 = 5.3%

For the 7 year
@ $10000 - rate = 4.65%
interest = 7 X $465 = 3255
net investment = 6745
return = ((3255/6745)+1)^(1/7) - 1 = 5.8% !

I've seen this type of CD before and it doesn't seem like the banks understand how to compute the actual returns on them. If anyone knows of any other bank offering this type of CD, please post!

rated:
Ahhhhhhh! This is my bank. I just got done getting a a 9 month from Amtrust when I decided to check out the latest posts and saw this. I guess their scroll bar didn't catch my eye. Any way yes they are trustworthy. Been banking with them for about 20 years.

uoiea said: scott1961 said: 100 day's 6% CD and you can get a $100 bonus, Don't know details but I saw this over on eMoney, Will send em asking.

Grafton

More Than You Expect

100 Day CD at 6.00% APY*

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 12 3 4555
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014