• 1 2 34510
  • Page
  • Text Only
sloth911 said: Grobe said: What are the payment options for the credit card bills? (I am interested in Autopay in full each month)

From logging on (to my account) and checking out the payment optioins, you need to have a Penfed checking account to pay the bill electronically via Penfed.

I have had no problem paying the bill electronically via Commerce Bank, Citibank, and Presidentials Banks's online billpay systems.

they are also an option on MBNA Bill pay (now bofa) so you can use your credit card to pay penfed's card

they are also an option on MBNA Bill pay (now bofa) so you can use your credit card to pay penfed's card

so what would happen? Would this get considered a cash transaction since you are paying a credit card with another? or would i earn the 2% (529) i get from mbna plus the 1.25% from penfed?

would the rewards be stacked?

can i pay my mortgage using mbna billpay?

ch00wie said: they are also an option on MBNA Bill pay (now bofa) so you can use your credit card to pay penfed's card

so what would happen? Would this get considered a cash transaction since you are paying a credit card with another? or would i earn the 2% (529) i get from mbna plus the 1.25% from penfed?

would the rewards be stacked?

can i pay my mortgage using mbna billpay?

the bill pay is treated as a purchase with no rewards from mbna, but you get the 1.25%. For mortgages if your mortgage company is one of the merchants, you can do that to. You can only use the list of merchants that mbna has on their list (which is pretty large), you can not add any additional ones

Regarding the CB Dividend cards - I called last night to verify my Cash Back rate and the CSR also quoted me 4% on gas/drugs/groceries. I asked her when the rate had changed because I hadn't been notified and she said it hadn't - that I get 1% on all purchases and an additional 4% on gas/drugs/groceries, so that totals to 5%. I asked again just to double check and she confirmed it again. Now I haven't done the math on my last statement, but I was happy that I hadn't been switched to their new 2% rewards program since I don't pay separate utility bills and I don't have cable. I also have an AMEX Blue Cash that I use after it hits the $6500 tier via non EDP sales, but I'm considering adding a PenFed card to my wallet too.

I'll stick with Advanta;
5%-Gas
5%-Cell Phones
5%-Utilities
5%-Computer equipment
5%-Office supplies
5%-Internet services
5%-Ground transportation
5%-Courier services
1%-All other purchases

stateofmind said: I'll stick with Advanta;
5%-Gas
5%-Cell Phones
5%-Utilities
5%-Computer equipment
5%-Office supplies
5%-Internet services
5%-Ground transportation
5%-Courier services
1%-All other purchases

$300/year and fronting with a business

Can I ask what type of Citi Card credit card you have ?

I have Diamond Preferred MC.

You say your gasoline rebate was REDUCED to 4% ?

Called Citi. They told me I am still @ 5%

Please let me know.

thanks

ALAN

walletfart said: stateofmind said: I'll stick with Advanta;
5%-Gas
5%-Cell Phones
5%-Utilities
5%-Computer equipment
5%-Office supplies
5%-Internet services
5%-Ground transportation
5%-Courier services
1%-All other purchases

$300/year

Per person!

signed up.. they changed their membership joining procedure a bit in the last couple of days. Since I have a grandparent that served, all they need now is their phone number instead of the ssn (didn't feel comfortable asking my grandparent for their ssn!)

Also applied for the CC asking for max 30k, we'll see what happens! may stick a CD on here as well.

stateofmind said: I'll stick with Advanta;
5%-Gas
5%-Cell Phones
5%-Utilities
5%-Computer equipment
5%-Office supplies
5%-Internet services
5%-Ground transportation
5%-Courier services
1%-All other purchases

Is this related to the Advanta card that just went to a tier rating system?

Not sure who it effects, just a FYI.

stateofmind said: walletfart said: stateofmind said: I'll stick with Advanta;
5%-Gas
5%-Cell Phones
5%-Utilities
5%-Computer equipment
5%-Office supplies
5%-Internet services
5%-Ground transportation
5%-Courier services
1%-All other purchases

$300/year

Per person!

can anyone send a correct link? avanta.com cash reward card's fine print is that you only get 5% over $30,000 before $50,000 spending on those mentioned above.

Since I just opened a Penfed account for their CD promo rates, I figured I'd try for this CC as well (try to stretch the benefit from having them do a hard pull on my credit report). Unfortunately, they process these applications manually, and when they saw a few high balances (but under 50%) on other cards from 0% BT offers, I was denied. The friendly CSR I spoke with put in another app requesting a lower CL and noted that I offered to fax in bank statements showing I had the cash on hand, but I was denied once more.

I'm considering keeping this card in the mix for my next AOR in a few months, but between 5% on gas on other cards and 1.5% on everything else from the Fidelity rewards card, I'm not sure if the Penfed card really makes sense. I know the bonus is credited monthly, which is nice, but is there anything else? Do they generally give CLs about the same size as others on your report, or do they keep it lower (like some other credit unions tend to do)? This card has no BT or Cash Advance fees, right? Has anyone tried using it as a way to get $$ out of other 0% cards (initiate cash advance from Penfed and immediately pay it off via BT from 0% card)?

chipcollector said: Can I ask what type of Citi Card credit card you have ?

Please let me know.

thanks

ALAN

5 points per dollar is no longer 5%... it costs 6000 points for a $50 card instead of 5000. That means that it takes 6 points to equal the 5 point value from before. 5*(5/6) = 4.167, so the new CashBack is really more like ~4.2%.

Good card, I have had Penfed card for 2 years with no problems. Rewards applied on each following month statment. 5% on gas is a bonus. I don't have to use my 5% gas rewards Discover & wait on a check after reaching $20 reward. Good fixed rate Home Equity loans also.

TightWalletToo said: Good card, I have had Penfed card for 2 years with no problems. Rewards applied on each following month statment. 5% on gas is a bonus. I don't have to use my 5% gas rewards Discover & wait on a check after reaching $20 reward. Good fixed rate Home Equity loans also.

i have these problems:

1. their online sytem is not user friendly, for example, unable to check available credit.
2. their online statement is always posted several days late
3. unable to schedule payment in advance.

elph31337 said: chipcollector said: Can I ask what type of Citi Card credit card you have ?

Please let me know.

thanks

ALAN

5 points per dollar is no longer 5%... it costs 6000 points for a $50 card instead of 5000. That means that it takes 6 points to equal the 5 point value from before. 5*(5/6) = 4.167, so the new CashBack is really more like ~4.2%.

Yes, not all point rewards are created equal. A dollar per point... but some cards require more points than others to reach the same reward.

elph31337 said: 5 points per dollar is no longer 5%... it costs 6000 points for a $50 card instead of 5000.

Except most of us on this forum are patient enough to wait until 10000 points for $100 rather than blowing our points at 6000. I still consider it 5%.

asdf9876 said: elph31337 said: 5 points per dollar is no longer 5%... it costs 6000 points for a $50 card instead of 5000.

Except most of us on this forum are patient enough to wait until 10000 points for $100 rather than blowing our points at 6000. I still consider it 5%.

well, the nice thing with the PenFed card offer is there is no saving up points, and cashing them in. Your account is automatically credited every month.

tomprc said: TightWalletToo said: Good card, I have had Penfed card for 2 years with no problems. Rewards applied on each following month statment. 5% on gas is a bonus. I don't have to use my 5% gas rewards Discover & wait on a check after reaching $20 reward. Good fixed rate Home Equity loans also.

i have these problems:

1. their online sytem is not user friendly, for example, unable to check available credit.

I have not had any problems with the Penfed site just checking balances & posted dates, I don't carry a balance. They do mail you a monthly statement for credit card & any loan balance. Try the Discover site if you want real problems. Discover also says 6 to 8 weeks to credit your account for the award amount or 1 week to get a check. What's up with that???

How come there was a credit card delivery fee when I tried to apply? Anyone else has this charge? It's an over $15 fee.

TightWalletToo said: tomprc said: TightWalletToo said: Good card, I have had Penfed card for 2 years with no problems. Rewards applied on each following month statment. 5% on gas is a bonus. I don't have to use my 5% gas rewards Discover & wait on a check after reaching $20 reward. Good fixed rate Home Equity loans also.

i have these problems:

I have not had any problems with the Penfed site just checking balances & posted dates, I don't carry a balance. They do mail you a monthly statement for credit card & any loan balance. Try the Discover site if you want real problems. Discover also says 6 to 8 weeks to credit your account for the award amount or 1 week to get a check. What's up with that???

My theory is they don't want to credit people's accounts. When it is reward points, a certain number of people will never bother to cash them in. If the reward is a paper check, a certain percentage of people will never deposit the check, for whatever reason - lost in the mail, mistaken for junk mail and thrown out, or people forget to deposit it because the amount is so small. But when the account is credited, people WILL realize their reward benefit.

TightWalletToo said: Try the Discover site if you want real problems. Discover also says 6 to 8 weeks to credit your account for the award amount or 1 week to get a check. What's up with that???

I've never had a problem with Discover. Request the CashBack, it's credited 2 biz days later. I particularly enjoy those $20 bills because the only usual thing that goes on the card is $50 Cash Back and a quart of milk at Safeway, still get the Cash Back on the $50.

Nice deal OP. I may have to jump in on this card.

I work for Pentagon Federal Credit Union, I don't know who you spoke with, but it is not required that your family be members. Only eligible for membership.

So can you answer my question about the > $15 credit card delievry fee that I encountered when I was applying for the card? It's the first time in my life I had been asked for a "Credit Card Delivery Fee". It's weird. I canceled my application because of that.

andypew said: I work for Pentagon Federal Credit Union, I don't know who you spoke with, but it is not required that your family be members. Only eligible for membership.

newgun said: So can you answer my question about the > $15 credit card delievry fee that I encountered when I was applying for the card? It's the first time in my life I had been asked for a "Credit Card Delivery Fee". It's weird. I canceled my application because of that.

andypew said: I work for Pentagon Federal Credit Union, I don't know who you spoke with, but it is not required that your family be members. Only eligible for membership.

It sounds like they were talking about rush delivery? Standard postal delivery was free for me.

do you have plan to upgrade your crappy website?

Namely: faster statement posting in 1 day instead of 10 days. show available credit, cash advance credit. schedule ACH payment in advance. remove the $2000 limit per day for payment. show which transactions are after the statement close date and which are before, and so on.

I didn't have to pay a fee either with regular delivery. I did notice pay options for rush delivery....

The discovery gasoline card is another alternative way to get 5% on gasline. However, the wording of their program refers to purchases made at gas stations and includes repairs (I suspect this is a result of using type of store to classify transactions) while the Penfed card and several others apparrently give only 5% on gas paid at the pump. this feature makes a case for having a discovery gas card just to get the repairs.

I have not examined just how broad the gas stations classification is, but I suspectit would also include some gas stores with appreciable convenience store operations or possibly opportunties for purchasing gift cards.

If you limit the casrd usage to just repairs you probably could leave it at home and only bring it when you pick your car up after a repair. Of course, once you have it, it may pay to use it for gasoline since you can reach $20 quicker than the larger amounts required by "everyday" cards and then you can keep your everyday cards limits (often $300 per year) for groceries and pharmacy purchases.

The discovery gasoline card is another alternative way to get 5% on gasline. However, the wording of their program refers to purchases made at gas stations and includes repairs (I suspect this is a result of using type of store to classify transactions) while the Penfed card and several others apparently give only 5% on “gas paid at the pump” (I gather they have some way of separating such purchases from those paid for inside the store),. this feature makes a case for having a discovery gas card just to get the repairs.

In my experience I have several times tried to pay at the pump but hit a problem which required me to go inside and give them my credit card. It looks like I would not get 5% back with the PenFed card in these cases.

I have not examined just how broad the gas stations classification is, but I suspect it would also include some gas stores with appreciable convenience store operations or possibly opportunities for purchasing gift cards. Rather frequently I have stopped somewhere for gas and bought some food and drink items for the family inside the station or an associated convenience store. I am fairly sure the ones that are on major intercity highways are classified as gas stations by discovery. (I am less sure about the urban convenience stores that have a pump outside).

If you limit the card usage to just repairs you probably could leave it at home and only bring it when you pick your car up after a repair. Of course, once you have it, it may pay to use it for gasoline since you can reach $20 quicker than the larger amounts required by "everyday" cards and then you can keep your everyday cards' limits (often $300 per year) for groceries and pharmacy purchases. this does involve the hazzle of carrying one more card in the wallet.

deleted as duplicate

newgun said: How come there was a credit card delivery fee when I tried to apply? Anyone else has this charge? It's an over $15 fee.

As mentioned, standard postal delivery is free. About June of last year, I joined PenFed by putting $500 in a savings account. Did nothing else. Then about 10 days ago I noticed a "you're approved" notice after I logged on for a $40,000 Visa card. I decided to go for it, and chose the cash rewards card. There were a few questions to answer, but not many. Then about a week later, the card did arrive in the mail, and an authorization form to sign (separate letters). I would skip the rush delivery fee, since it may only mean getting your card a day or two earlier. Not worth it.

I've used the card twice so far. The 5% Cash Back on gas purchases is nice, but won't be making me rich. I only work about two miles from my home.

Also, be aware when comparing Cash Back card offers, there is no guarantee that they won't change the terms on you, and/or start charging an onerous annual fee. One card may be the best thing since sliced bread one day, and the next day just a piece of cow chips.

ProfessorEd said: The discovery gasoline card is another alternative way to get 5% on gasline. However, the wording of their program refers to purchases made at gas stations and includes repairs (I suspect this is a result of using type of store to classify transactions) while the Penfed card and several others apparently give only 5% on “gas paid at the pump” (I gather they have some way of separating such purchases from those paid for inside the store),. this feature makes a case for having a discovery gas card just to get the repairs.

In my experience I have several times tried to pay at the pump but hit a problem which required me to go inside and give them my credit card. It looks like I would not get 5% back with the PenFed card in these cases.

I have not examined just how broad the gas stations classification is, but I suspect it would also include some gas stores with appreciable convenience store operations or possibly opportunities for purchasing gift cards. Rather frequently I have stopped somewhere for gas and bought some food and drink items for the family inside the station or an associated convenience store. I am fairly sure the ones that are on major intercity highways are classified as gas stations by discovery. (I am less sure about the urban convenience stores that have a pump outside).

If you limit the card usage to just repairs you probably could leave it at home and only bring it when you pick your car up after a repair. Of course, once you have it, it may pay to use it for gasoline since you can reach $20 quicker than the larger amounts required by "everyday" cards and then you can keep your everyday cards' limits (often $300 per year) for groceries and pharmacy purchases. this does involve the hazzle of carrying one more card in the wallet.

As far as "paid at the pump" card issuers usually know it's that type of transaction. I've been called by credit card issuers more than one time, when they saw what was suspicious paid at the pump activity (it's a high fraud area). Once I told them I was traveling and had possession of the card(s), they were then OK and removed the alert off my account.

So if you go into a service station and have your transmission replaced, you won't see a 5% rebate, unless you can somehow arrange for the station owner to run that transaction through at a gas pump. But if that requires the station owner to run two thousand gallons of gas from the pump right back into the underground storage tank, you're going to have a hard time.

my primary card up to now has been the 1.5% mbna fidelity. but since bofa bought them out i found it hard to do disputes.

anyone know how easy is it to dispute on the penfed card? if it is as good as AMEX, then i would forgo the 0.25% extra.

also how easy is it to pay the penfed bills?

What are benefits for this card besides the Rebates? I understand it's a Platinum card - but does it have the Visa "Signature" level benefits like Warranty manager protection & service?

feuerball said: What are benefits for this card besides the Rebates? I understand it's a Platinum card - but does it have the Visa "Signature" level benefits like Warranty manager protection & service?

Nope, it's not a Visa Signature card.

It's main benefit for me is the 5% gasoline rebate, and I'll be using it as my primary card for that purpose.

For other charges, my primary card is still the Citibank American Airlines AAdvantage MasterCard, as I already have a lot of miles, and I'm saving up more for future trips.

I may be the exception but I am very fond of card benefits besides the rebates. I does not need to be a signature card to make me happy - but i like to see "Purchase assurance", Warranty manager" and travel accident and maybe baggage insurance with a card. That's worth more than 1/4% more rebate for me. Has anybody read the "card benefit" fineprint. if this card has all of the above it would be a perfect replacement for my Chase Perfectcard .

have anyone tried to pay inside (e.g. buy gift card) and got 5% CashBack?

tomprc said: have anyone tried to pay inside (e.g. buy gift card) and got 5% CashBack?
The CSR I spoke with was very adamant about swiping it as the pump and not going inside. So, I don't think it will work.

Most CSRs do not know that much. I think FWer's don't trust CSR.

therivler1 said: tomprc said: have anyone tried to pay inside (e.g. buy gift card) and got 5% CashBack?
The CSR I spoke with was very adamant about swiping it as the pump and not going inside. So, I don't think it will work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014