• 12 3 4510
  • Page
  • Text Only
tomprc said: Most CSRs do not know that much. I think FWer's don't trust CSR.

therivler1 said: tomprc said: have anyone tried to pay inside (e.g. buy gift card) and got 5% CashBack?
The CSR I spoke with was very adamant about swiping it as the pump and not going inside. So, I don't think it will work.

True, but aside from personal experiences, this is what I have to go on. Should be very easy to verify if you are so inclined.

therivler1 said: True, but aside from personal experiences, this is what I have to go on. Should be very easy to verify if you are so inclined.

true. but PenFed only posts statement 10+ days after the close date. I will have to wait 1+ month to see the result. But I need to make some big purchase now.

Does this card have online access? Penfed's site is pretty crappy, but when I view my credit card I don't see any option to pay the account online. This will be mighty annoying if we have to pay via paper check.

i set up to pay through bofa's billpay...ebill works with them as well.

Grobe said: What are the payment options for the credit card bills? (I am interested in Autopay in full each month)

It's not really intuitive, but I've set up autopay in full on the monthly balance from my cross-country checking account. Per the CSR ( i called twice and another person called and verified): go to the PenFed website, click forms, go to the 6th highlighted item down "Authorization Agreement for Automated Clearing House (ACH) Debit". Print out several copies, including one for your checking ac'ct bank, fill out using your credit card # as the PFCU loan#. Check automatic transfer from another institution. In section A make a new checked box and write something like "credit card monthly bill in full each month. Add a voided check and mail a copy of the form with voided check to PenFed.

Full disclosure: This is supposed to work, but my setup is too new for any payments to have been withdrawn from my account yet.

What a lot of work. PFCU credit card is an electronic payee via Checkfree. The only disadvantage I see there is that they won't automatically know your monthly balance. That's a non-issue for me since I prefer not to use auto-pay. I need to check my bills every month and it's not much extra effort to fill in the blank and schedule the send. I just can't see ceding control to the payee.

WalStMonky said: What a lot of work. PFCU credit card is an electronic payee via Checkfree. The only disadvantage I see there is that they won't automatically know your monthly balance. That's a non-issue for me since I prefer not to use auto-pay. I need to check my bills every month and it's not much extra effort to fill in the blank and schedule the send. I just can't see ceding control to the payee.

PFCU's method of setting up an auto-pay is not the easiest, true. We do a combination of auto-pays, check frees, and paper checks and always balance and match to our categorized Quicken entries. Since we pay in our cards in full each month it is not worth the risk to have a late payment, and they (card companies and others ) seem to draw as late as possible - later than I would risk. Moving toward maximum auto pay so we could dissappear for a month or two or more if we wished without having any unpaid bills.

use presidential bank's billpay. they know the monthly balance of penfed.

WalStMonky said: What a lot of work. PFCU credit card is an electronic payee via Checkfree. The only disadvantage I see there is that they won't automatically know your monthly balance. That's a non-issue for me since I prefer not to use auto-pay. I need to check my bills every month and it's not much extra effort to fill in the blank and schedule the send. I just can't see ceding control to the payee.

tomprc said: have anyone tried to pay inside (e.g. buy gift card) and got 5% CashBack?

My personal experience during the month of January is paying inside doesn't get the 5% CashBack. It only works at the pump.

regarding Penfed card benefits - i do know now since I received the card yesterday

The Card comes with fairly skimpy benefits, IMO - Auto collision coverage (secondary) and 100k travel insurance. No warranty manager or purchase protection. In addition to the above my Chase Perfectcard comes with roadside assistance and 1M$ of travel insurance, so most Chase cards will beat the Penfed Cash rebate card hands down.

So in my opinion, this card is good for Gas, Travel (especially abroad because of less forex fees than most other cards). I will not do larger purchases of durable goods with this card, since the important (IMO) benefit of warranty manager and purchase protection are missing.

walletfart said: Does this card have online access? Penfed's site is pretty crappy, but when I view my credit card I don't see any option to pay the account online. This will be mighty annoying if we have to pay via paper check.
6 months of no problems with your account before you can ACH into share account then transfer to credit card. I asked the same question in the newb thread and emailed Penfed at the same time. Of course it was answered in an hour in the newb thread and verified about 3 days later by Penfed.

Note: Wachovia has Pentagon FCU Visa/Mastercard as an e-biller, so if you're with Wachovia it's pretty easy to pay. Also, you can sign up to receive your statements through Wachovia e-billing monthly, and pay them there, so it's sort of like having online access.

PFCU charges $3/ACH if you do an ACH over the phone. I'm surprised that they don't have a way to pay the CC online through eCheck or what-not. This is the 21st century!

What they giveth they taketh....Penfed VISA rates raised to 13.99 from 12.99

Of course it doesn't matter if you don't keep a balance, but this may be a trend where they lure you in and then wack!

walletfart said: PFCU charges $3/ACH if you do an ACH over the phone. I'm surprised that they don't have a way to pay the CC online through eCheck or what-not. This is the 21st century!
They do. Transfer to your share account through normal ACH, and then move the money from the share account to the CC. This has been previously discussed.

therivler1 said: walletfart said: PFCU charges $3/ACH if you do an ACH over the phone. I'm surprised that they don't have a way to pay the CC online through eCheck or what-not. This is the 21st century!
They do. Transfer to your share account through normal ACH, and then move the money from the share account to the CC. This has been previously discussed.

That's a roundabout way though.

Luckily, Wachovia has a partnership with them in the Billpay so that you can pay it directly through an e-bill.

I asked this in another thread, but thought I would bump this one as well.

Any idea if PFCU will treat funding of a Citi Savings ACcount as a cash advance or as a purchase? I called the CSR and he didn't seem to know - said it could go either way since they will approve a cash advance up to your line of credit if Citi were to call them and not just do it electronically. Any past experience with this?

therivler1 said: walletfart said: PFCU charges $3/ACH if you do an ACH over the phone. I'm surprised that they don't have a way to pay the CC online through eCheck or what-not. This is the 21st century!

I used to do that before. It was very inconvenient.
I'm now using mycheckfree.com & very sastisfied.

ltcm said: Any idea if PFCU will treat funding of a Citi Savings ACcount as a cash advance or as a purchase? I called the CSR and he didn't seem to know - said it could go either way since they will approve a cash advance up to your line of credit if Citi were to call them and not just do it electronically. Any past experience with this?

Shouldn't you ask Citi how THEY will process?

According to the threads about this and the literature from Citi, they don't give a direct answer. I'm not too worried about it being reclassified as a cash advance, etc., b/c PenFed doesn't charge the normal 3% fee that most places do, but they do charge interest immediately. The way I figure it, it would take me at least 4-5 days to get the money back from PenFed and by then I would have paid about $40 in interest and not gotten any rewards. As a result, I'd like to be sure before I pull the trigger.

Just wanted to post that effective some time last month you can now do a direct epay to your PenFed Credit Card. I've done it a few times.

mayliu said: Just wanted to post that effective some time last month you can now do a direct epay to your PenFed Credit Card. I've done it a few times.

Oh yeah? Is that available online? If so, where do you do it?

walletfart said: mayliu said: Just wanted to post that effective some time last month you can now do a direct epay to your PenFed Credit Card. I've done it a few times.

Oh yeah? Is that available online? If so, where do you do it?

I just saw this as well. When you're looking at your accounts now, you can select "ACH transfer to my Pentagon Federal account from my account at another financial institution" and then below, select "transfer to" next to your CC account and click "Transfer". It will then ask for an ABA and account number. Once you do the transfer, you can save that bank account as a pay account for future use.

It's about time they got this feature implemented. I'm trying it out now.

[Edit:]
On second glance... it's a bit half-a$$ because you can't schedule a payment for a future date, which means you can't set up to pay off your balance the day it's due.

I was able to set up auto-pay successfully using the method mentioned by calmloki a few pages back. It doesn't mention Auto-Pay anywhere on the credit card statement, but on the day before the payment is due, it pays the full amount from an external checking account. I agree it should be easier to set up though:

For reference:

calmloki said: It's not really intuitive, but I've set up autopay in full on the monthly balance from my cross-country checking account. Per the CSR ( i called twice and another person called and verified): go to the PenFed website, click forms, go to the 6th highlighted item down "Authorization Agreement for Automated Clearing House (ACH) Debit". Print out several copies, including one for your checking ac'ct bank, fill out using your credit card # as the PFCU loan#. Check automatic transfer from another institution. In section A make a new checked box and write something like "credit card monthly bill in full each month. Add a voided check and mail a copy of the form with voided check to PenFed.

I don't know if it has been mentioned - bud make sure you pay for your gas at the pump - not inside the store.

I have a number of purchases at our local Holiday Gas and Super America stations - and they take 10 cents off or enternainment book coupons - so you have to pay for the gas inside the gas station. What do you know - penfed treats these as a regular purchase at 1.25% Cash Back. So there - I tried being cheap by using coupons and in fact paid more b/c I didn't get the 5% Cash Back ($3/gallon = 15 cents/gallon discount). Back to using my Chase Rewards card.

jairocon said: I don't know if it has been mentioned - bud make sure you pay for your gas at the pump - not inside the store.
Sorry for the hard lesson, but PenFed was clear on the 5% only being on at-the-pump purchases.

I have had the Penfed Credit Card for 7 months now. I found out about it through Fat Wallet.

I love this card.

All the other reward programs I've dealt with involve some kind of BS with points. Or if it is cash, they send out a check once a year.

With the Penfed card, there are no hoops to jump through or hassles. The rebate is automatically credited on every bill.

If you're someone who charges everything to a CC, but then pays it off at the end of the month, there's no better deal than the Penfed card. IMO.

like the cc too, but has anyone had any experience with having penfed look out for them in a billing dispute and how did it go versus one of the majors like citi? TIA

I really like my Penfed CC.

Got $22 credited to my account this month. Its so easy.

Don't know if this is some kind of glitch or not, but I'm fairly certain I received 6.25% Cash Back for paid-at-the-pump gas (5% + 1.25%). This was my first occasion to use the card for gas - don't drive much or own a car. I normally (ex-MBNA Bill)pay off any balance before the statement closes, taking into account the Cash Back so I don't leave a credit balance on the card. I did so this month and still had a credit balance of $.52, which is pretty close to the $42-in-gas X 1.25%. YMMV.

mahaffeymj said: like the cc too, but has anyone had any experience with having penfed look out for them in a billing dispute and how did it go versus one of the majors like citi? TIA

I had a dispute with an eBay seller. PayPal wouldn't refund the whole amount, so I went through Penfed. I called them up and it was back to my account in several days. No hassles.

These folks really are clowns.

I have over $40k in CDs with them, a credit score over 725, own my home outright, but they turned me down when I applied for this card because...at the time...I had a $40k balance from a 0% deal and they said I had too much credit availability.

Calls to customer service didnt help. Emails were not returned.

It would seem like someone would have just a little common sense but apparently not.
I wont try again.

smstarks said: Starting in January Pentagon Federal Credit Union is giving you 5.00% for gas paid at the pump on top, and you still get 1.25% on any purchases elsewhere. I called a csr, and they said existing cardholders will also get this feature. That definitely decreases the need to be using my citi card, which now seems to only be doing 4% on gas transactions, and what is really nice about pfcu is their reward is immediate, and credited toward your balance, so you don't have to wait for $50 increments or participate in any thank you network junk.
This is on their Visa Platinum Cash rewards card.
Any better deals??

kai2007 said:
If you're someone who charges everything to a CC, but then pays it off at the end of the month, there's no better deal than the Penfed card. IMO.

I still feel that AMEX Blue Cash offers more value with 5% on fuel,groceries,& drugstores as well as 1.5% on everything else. However, because it has a $6500 tier for these higher rates, you have to be a heavy user.............

LustfortheMoment said:

I still feel that AMEX Blue Cash offers more value with 5% on fuel,groceries,& drugstores as well as 1.5% on everything else. However, because it has a $6500 tier for these higher rates, you have to be a heavy user.............

Don't know why you love that card so much, At least the HSBC now lets you get cash right away while with Blue you get it once a year. Also I started using the Blue and found way to many places did not take, Like college bill. Just used the new CITI 5% cashreturn card to pay $10k on that bill, Quick $500. Will use that for everything the next 3 months including telling wife to get Holiday shopping done early and then go back to Chase 5% EDP card, If they stop offering the 5% I have the HSBC as a backup

There are also quite a few merchants that don't take AMEX because of their high fees.

Thrilla said: There are also quite a few merchants that don't take AMEX because of their high fees.

In greater Boston, I've only come across two vendors who do not take AMEX. I just got back from a trip to London where I had to use Visa only once........when I purchased a round-trip ticket from Gatwick to Victoria Station.

LustfortheMoment said: In greater Boston, I've only come across two vendors who do not take AMEX. I just got back from a trip to London where I had to use Visa only once........when I purchased a round-trip ticket from Gatwick to Victoria Station.
Plenty of merchants around here, Central Indiana, do not take AMEX. However, the real reason for this response is to ask, doesn't AMEX charge 3% for foreign transactions?

jmz, AMEX charges 2% on currency transactions.

LustfortheMoment said: kai2007 said:

The annual payment for rewards redemption blows. It reduces the 1.5% / 5% reward significantly since your reward money is tied up the whole year. Penfed auto credits the rewards money to your next statement balance. And it's a Visa card which is more widely accepted despite your "claim" that only two places in Boston don't accept AMEX. Nonsense.

I'm sorry, djscal, but I realize over $450 more per year using AMEX for drugstores and supermarkets than I would receive with PenFed. In addition, I receive .25% more on all non-EDP purchases. However, perhaps PenFed better meets your needs. That's OK. Different strokes for different folks.

You realize how heavy of a user you have to be to gain on the penfed card with blue? I did the math once and with only non-EDP you need something like $26k/year of spending before you start realizing benefits. If supermarkets and Drugstore use is that important, the AT&T universal rewards card will give you 5% without going through the tiers. $26k/year is just too much to risk before gaining on the penfed card.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014