• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Starting in January Pentagon Federal Credit Union is giving you 5.00% for gas paid at the pump on top, and you still get 1.25% on any purchases elsewhere. I called a csr, and they said existing cardholders will also get this feature. That definitely decreases the need to be using my citi card, which now seems to only be doing 4% on gas transactions, and what is really nice about pfcu is their reward is immediate, and credited toward your balance, so you don't have to wait for $50 increments or participate in any thank you network junk.
This is on their Visa Platinum Cash rewards card.
Any better deals??

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

ProfessorB (Dec. 28, 2009 @ 3:28a) |

This past October, Penfed closed my credit account because of "unauthorized access of a third party processorís transact... (more)

adsfgh (Jan. 10, 2010 @ 3:51p) |

Just applied for a PenFed Account and this credit card. Data Point:

Approved for $17k
25yo, Renter, No dependents, No auto... (more)

kwest (Feb. 27, 2010 @ 4:47p) |

Credit for finding this deal goes to FW member Mespin who posted this on the Penfed CC thread.

Original discussion of the PenFed Cash Back card is on the 5% Rewards Card Thread

Anyone can be a member.
1) Join the National Military Family Association (NMFA) for $20 to qualify for membership
2) Join the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) (free for students).

Calling the helpful Penfed CSR%u2019s will help you join or you can do it all online by clicking through the membership organizations until you get to join NMFA.

Make sure you pay at the pump! If you pay inside of the gas station store you will only get 1% CashBack!

Membership seems really easy. I joined using my grandfather as a qualifying relative (served in WWII). He died in the mid-1960s.

Other Notes:
-5% Gas, 2% supermarket, 1% everything else
-Rewards are automatically credited every month
-Cell phone insurance is offered when you pay your bill with the card
-Can be set up to automatically pay the full balance every month
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Any links?

I am not a member of the military or employed by military related industry, is there a way to become a member of the penfed?

dumroo said: I am not a member of the military or employed by military related industry, is there a way to become a member of the penfed?
Yes

no, you don't need to keep paying for the NMFA membership --- once is enough
and once one family member gets into Penfed --- everyone else can join

Hmm. So my last hard credit pull was 13 days ago. And today is a weekend. Would the hard pull fall under the 14 day window or would it come out on the 2nd and ding me again... (which is 16 days I believe).... 5% is quite nice though!

smstarks, it's an "OK" card....

My AMEX Blue Cash pays 5% on gas, supermarket, and groceries in addition to 1.5% on everything else. I use either HSBC or CHASE for EDP each year until I reach the $6500 ceiling on AMEX with non-EDP purchases.

Alternatively, one can use a CHASE card (I don't think that HSBC is still issuing a 5% card) for EDP and a Fidelity 1.5% card for non-EDP without any tier.

Penfed credits this every month as a credit, vs a yearly one for BLUE

LustfortheMoment said: smstarks, it's an "OK" card....

My AMEX Blue Cash pays 5% on gas, supermarket, and groceries in addition to 1.5% on everything else. I use either HSBC or CHASE for EDP each year until I reach the $6500 ceiling on AMEX with non-EDP purchases.

Alternatively, one can use a CHASE card (I don't think that HSBC is still issuing a 5% card) for EDP and a Fidelity 1.5% card for non-EDP without any tier.

Penfed credits this every month as a credit, vs a yearly one for BLUE

That's true, Big Don, but it pays 3.75% less than AMEX Blue Cash for groceries and Drugstore purchases. I'll take the higher reimbursement and get it yearly.........

TheBigDon said: Penfed credits this every month as a credit, vs a yearly one for BLUE

You need to spend $6,500 @ 1%/.5% to get to that point.

Anyone know what the foreign transaction fee is on this card? A lot of the cards now jacked it up to 3%, some are 1%, and some rare ones don't charge anything.

The transaction charge is 1%, but they earn 1.25% Cash Back, so it cancels out the exchange fee.

smstarks said: Starting in January Pentagon Federal Credit Union is giving you 5.00% for gas paid at the pump on top, and you still get 1.25% on any purchases elsewhere. I called a csr, and they said existing cardholders will also get this feature. That definitely decreases the need to be using my citi card, which now seems to only be doing 4% on gas transactions, and what is really nice about pfcu is their reward is immediate, and credited toward your balance, so you don't have to wait for $50 increments or participate in any thank you network junk.
This is on their Visa Platinum Cash rewards card.
Any better deals??

i just signed up for Capital One's 1.25% card. but dont think they do 5% on gas

so is this a trend towards 1.25% rewards in 2007? (I hope so)

Discovery Gas Card --> 5% Cash Back on gas and auto related expenses, with max $60 Cash Back max.
PenFed --> 5% Cash Back on gas, no max Cash Back limit?.

With both cards, I guess it should be able to cover all my gas and auto expense for the full year.

Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

http://www.same.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Don't any of you have parents or grandparents that served?

062703 said: Don't any of you have parents or grandparents that served?

Yes, on both sides, but when I called PenFed said that your relatives have to be members of PenFed, not just eligible. Also, IIRC, Navy is not eligible.

StartingMoney said: 062703 said: Don't any of you have parents or grandparents that served?

Yes, on both sides, but when I called PenFed said that your relatives have to be members of PenFed, not just eligible. Also, IIRC, Navy is not eligible.

Membership Application
You're eligible to join if you have a family member or housemate who is:
-Eligible to join Pentagon Federal
-Currently a member

Membership Application

Please let us know a little about your family member / housemate:
Name:

Relationship:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Is the above a member?
Yes
No

If "Yes"
Please enter their member number or social security number if you have it:

If "No"
Please tell us how they are eligible:

What is their phone number?:

Family Members:

spouse
child
sibling
parent
grandparent
grandchild
stepparent
stepchild
stepsibling

Housemates:

domestic partner
foster child
legal guardian
roommate

OK? Maybe they changed it since over a year ago. Point remains, Navy is not eligible on its own. Ask a stupid question...

I gave up on my AMEX Blue. Could not pay some of my big bills with AMEX, Like College tuition and Keyspan would not take it for a $2,100 water heater I had them install. Now use my Chase for 5% and Emigrant 1.40% for everything else, With Emigrant at least you get your money every 6 months and no cap

Is discover gas or penfed get 5% at costco gas stations?

Edit: oops, my bad.. costco only accepts AMEX.

sloth911 said: Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

I understand the point of FW is to always find a way to save/make a buck but if I decide to do the Penfed CD I would gladly pay that $20 to join the NMFA. Was checking out their site and they seem like a great organization and helping our troops is better than joining some dance club or some of the other things I have seen for getting into a CU

Well, MADD sure looks like an admirable organization, but they spend 80% of their money on fundraising. Just to be obnoxious about it they've been caught trying to list their telemarketing and door knockers as being a part of their educational mission. You might want to check behind the facade before you join NFMA. They seemed all fluff to me during my membership and certainly did run into their outstretched hand more than a few times. I'm pretty sure they spent the entire $20 I sent trying to get me to send more money.

Thanks to you they're working!

Put me down with the Blue Cash folks above. No gimmicks, just good rewards (assuming a fairly high annual spending level). The only other rewards card I use are Chase Home Improvements (3% back at Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, etc.) and Citi Dividend Select (2% back for utilities). Everything else goes to Blue Cash.

I have a question on AMEX Hilton HHonors. They transfered my point every month, but I don't know where they're transfering to? I called CSR, I have a hard time understanding them cuz they have really heavy Indian accent

sounds great, but my chase rewards plus visa and cash plus rewards MC both give 5% at the pump and 5% at grocery stores and drug stores (pen fed needs to do that too for me to switch) and 1% on all other purchases. otherwise if I got the penfed card i'd only get 1.25% back at grocery and drug stores. or I can still get it and use my chase cards for drug/grocery only and penfed for gas and all other purchases.

sloth911 said: Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

It's only free for students if I'm reading correctly, right? Otherwise it's $35+

walletfart said: sloth911 said: Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

It's only free for students if I'm reading correctly, right? Otherwise it's $35+

Correct. Free for students. I was taking graduate classes when I signed up, so it worked for me. Hopefully it works for others.

sloth911 said: walletfart said: sloth911 said: Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

Correct. Free for students. I was taking graduate classes when I signed up, so it worked for me. Hopefully it works for others.

Funny, it was supposed to only be for high school or full-time undergrads, not grads...

Hilarious!!

WalStMonky said: Well, MADD sure looks like an admirable organization, but they spend 80% of their money on fundraising. Just to be obnoxious about it they've been caught trying to list their telemarketing and door knockers as being a part of their educational mission. You might want to check behind the facade before you join NFMA. They seemed all fluff to me during my membership and certainly did run into their outstretched hand more than a few times. I'm pretty sure they spent the entire $20 I sent trying to get me to send more money.

Thanks to you they're working!

Actually, from a ratio of fundtaising to money raised, they do not look bad. What they do, I am not sure though. Lots of "organizations" that raise for the benefit of our police officers, etc. who are just pure bogus (unfortunately).

Administrative/Fundraising Cost
The combined fundraising/administrative costs incurred by this organization, based upon 2004 IRS Form 990:
Management Expense 108592.00
Fund Raising Cost 218117.00
Total Revenue 2527565.00
Percent 12.93%

walletfart said: sloth911 said: Join SAME for FREE, that is what I did to become a member:

You can join PenFed through the National Military Family Associaton (NMFA) membership is $20 yr and you don't have to renew in order to remain a PenFed member.

One of the nice things about penfed's credit card is that you specify the credit line you want on the online application. I had asked for the maximum that the cash card offers $30,000. although they didn't give me 30K they sent me a counter offer of $10K, which I accepted.

Unlike other cards if you are offered a ridiculously low credit line, you can reject the counter offer and not get stuck with a riduclously low credit line like other card issuers (HSBC $600) give you and then either have a pitiful credit line , or cancel the card and have a one month account on your credit report for 7 years.

dumroo, I think you missed the part of my post that noted that MADD had been caught 'cooking the books'. Showing me their self serving statements from 2004 doesn't prove anything.

Were you aware that the nice lady that founded MADD resigned in disgust over their fundraising practices?

What are the payment options for the credit card bills? (I am interested in Autopay in full each month)

I have been resisting this deal but since Citi screwed me on my former AT&T card, I need to get one of these.

Already have several CDs with them and will probably buy more now that they are 6.25%.

Grobe said: What are the payment options for the credit card bills? (I am interested in Autopay in full each month)

From logging on (to my account) and checking out the payment optioins, you need to have a Penfed checking account to pay the bill electronically via Penfed.

I have had no problem paying the bill electronically via Commerce Bank, Citibank, and Presidentials Banks's online billpay systems.

Skipping 350 Messages...
Just applied for a PenFed Account and this credit card. Data Point:

Approved for $17k
25yo, Renter, No dependents, No autos
Salary of 82k
FAKO = 720 (down recently from 755 after closing a Citi Div Plat card with a $10.7k limit)

Thanks all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.