• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Of all the threads in the financial forums of Fatwallet, the ones that fascinate me the most are the ones where people discuss the ups and downs of their careers, including the $$$ they make. I know there have been some previous threads on similar topics, but they all seem to be archived now. So, I thought I'd start this new one.

How'd your job go this year? Did things go well or not so well? How well were you compensated for 2006? Maybe each person can give a brief description of themselves, their job, their education levels, and their salaries, present and maybe even proejcted salaries for the future. Since I'm starting this stuff, I guess I have to bite first:

Occupation: Urban Educator (My fancy title for a teacher in a city of low socioeconomic standing)
Education: M.A., plus some additional credits
2006 Salary: $60,000
Future Salary Projection: Expect to make about $68K for 2007, with regular increases each year after that. I expect to make about $100K within the next 5-6 years.
Benefits: Full medical, modest dental, generous sick and personal time, a decent pension plan, tremendous job security once you achieve tenure (but virtually none before that, and even with tenure, you can still have the daylights menaced out of you)

What's the job like?

Very difficult. Tremendously long hours, almost no down time during the school day (I don't take lunch very often),lots of work at home, deplorable working conditions, with some classrooms reaching temperatures of 90+ degrees and others below freezing. Prepare to adopt some small scurrying pets who have made your classroom their home in older buildings in urban districts. You will also most likely need to spend a decent amount of money on supplies for students because your school won't provide them, even though they insist on your using them. Very little respect and support from most supervisors, parents, and students. I do it for the good kids and because I love teaching.

Would you recommend the career to others?

Yes, but with reservations. More demands are being place on teachers each year, especially in urban districts, without any additonal time or resources to complete the tasks. Try to get a job in a nice middle-class suburb. (Affluent districts have their own unique problems, but they're not as serious as the ones we deal with in the urban districts. I've worked in both.)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
bump to avoid archiving.

taylor (Aug. 09, 2007 @ 6:20a) |

classic?

LiVeOrDiE (Aug. 09, 2007 @ 8:06a) |

Education: BS BA Management I... (more)

jamaica (Aug. 13, 2007 @ 4:40p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

who says teachers don't get paid well

I'm a DBA and things went pretty well this year, it's been a nice 5 years to be a database professional and I don't think it's going to end

How do you figure to earn $100K+ as an "urban educator" within the next 5-6 years? A good raise for teachers is 4-5%, and even with working summer school and after school programs, that seems pretty far-fetched. Where are you working (generally) to get a raise of over 10% for 2007?

Sorry, now I see NJ as your location, but I still am curious about the payscale. I am an "urban eductor" in Upstate NY with some similar issues, but am getting raises of ~4.5% over the next few years.

zhelder said: You will also most likely need to spend a decent amount of money on supplies for students because your school won't provide them, even though they insist on your using them. Q]

I'm assuming you take advantage of the Educator Tax Credit (or is it deduction?) of $250?</blockquote>

Ok Here is mine:

Education: BS in Finance
2006 Salary: $195,000
Future Salary Projection: 2007 - $195,000, 2008 - $220,000
Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, 2 weeks vacation.

What is job like: Workweek consists of between 20-25 hours per week. I travel 2 days per week and all meals are paid for, as well as lodging. Cell Phone, Internet, Fax and all technology equipment is paid for by company.

Absolutely. I have no medical degree or anything and got lucky to get in this field. The hardest part about this field is getting in it. Once you are in, you are set. Pay in the field ranges from $80,000 for just starting out with a company that does not have a good area to $500,000 for a perfect area that is already developed and is running like a well oiled machine.

turrdog said: How do you figure to earn $100K+ as an "urban educator" within the next 5-6 years? A good raise for teachers is 4-5%, and even with working summer school and after school programs, that seems pretty far-fetched. Where are you working (generally) to get a raise of over 10% for 2007?

Sorry, now I see NJ as your location, but I still am curious about the payscale. I am an "urban eductor" in Upstate NY with some similar issues, but am getting raises of ~4.5% over the next few years.

unless you are in westchester, it's like apples and oranges

NJ, nassau, westchester and suffolk county teachers make a lot of money

turrdog said: How do you figure to earn $100K+ as an "urban educator" within the next 5-6 years? A good raise for teachers is 4-5%, and even with working summer school and after school programs, that seems pretty far-fetched. Where are you working (generally) to get a raise of over 10% for 2007?

OK, here's how:

Currently, I'm paid on an M.A. +15 scale. The next level is M.A. +32 in my district, which is a significant bump. I'll have that done by the end of the year. Most districts in N.J. have salary guides which contain a "bubble", which means that the last few steps have some large increases in salary. Once you reach the top, however, the rasies don't go up as much. I'm beginning to hit the lower edge of the "bubble". Between that and the additional credits, my base salary will hit $70K in Semptember '07.
Factoring in 6 months at my current base ($59K) and extra $$$ working after school programs, I'm figuring my total '07 salary to be about $68K total.

Our salary guide tops out at about $78K for a B.A., $91K for M.A. +32. Raises at the top have been averaging about $3K per year. When I hit the top in about 5 years, the base salary should easily be over $100K.

I know that some states offer very meager rasies for obtaining advnaced degrees, but here in NJ, most districts probably pay about a $5K differential between a B.A. and an M.A. Figure on about a $1.5K bump for an M.A. +15, and about another $5K for an M.A. + 30/32. (It depends on the district.)

And to kill two birds with one stone...

I'm assuming you take advantage of the Educator Tax Credit (or is it deduction?) of $250?</blockquote>

Yes, but BFD. I spend an average of about $1,000 per year on supplies. My tenure year, when I had a principal who hated me, I spent probably about $2,500 on supplies to try to keep my job. (I made it, by the skin of my teeth. Long story.)

Education: BS Mech Eng / MBA / MS Environmental Eng
2006 Salary: $93,500 ($26K taxable / $67.5K tax-free)
Future Salary Projection: 2007 - $101,500 ($50K tax-free)
Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, 30 days vacation, 50% pension at age 42

What is job like: Chaotic and rewarding. Deployed to Afghanistan for 6 months managing reconstruction effort for the national police. 14 hours days, 1/2-day off each week, convoying to sites several times a week.

Absolutely. I've got too many friends from college starting their second decade at their boring engineering jobs, in boring companies, in boring towns. Meanwhile I've been around the world and seen places that at the very least make you fully appreciate the amazing benefit of being born an American citizen. But if you're willing to move, you simply can't beat getting to do a totally new job every 2-3 years while working for the same stable employer...plus the amazing freedom to start collecting pension payments at 20 years to fund a second "fun" career later.

mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

What is job like: Workweek consists of between 20-25 hours per week. I travel 2 days per week and all meals are paid for, as well as lodging. Cell Phone, Internet, Fax and all technology equipment is paid for by company.

Absolutely. I have no medical degree or anything and got lucky to get in this field. The hardest part about this field is getting in it. Once you are in, you are set. Pay in the field ranges from $80,000 for just starting out with a company that does not have a good area to $500,000 for a perfect area that is already developed and is running like a well oiled machine.

What is a Medical Consultant? Is this a sales position for Pharma or Medtech products?

Education: BS Comp Sci (public state school), starting MBA in 07
2006 Salary: $96K
Future Salary Projection: 2007 - $100-105K (~5-10% raise/year)
Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, generous sick time, 3 weeks vacation, 401(k) matching, free tuition for graduate school

What is job like: Not too stressful...40 hour workweek, but hours vary because I support users across the US and Europe. I also work from home quite a bit...for example, one day I could be working from home 7-10am, go into the office between 11-3pm, then do some work at home from 8-9pm.

Yes, if you don't mind having a mixed technical/functional job. I support the analytical reporting component of our SAP system, and as a result I need to know the technical side of the system as well as the functional side (i.e. what users need to see in their reports). The company I work for is very decentralized, and I'm pretty much free to do my own thing as long as the users are happy.

An added bonus is that it's much more difficult to outsource a mixed technical/functional position, most of our pure technical positions are already outsourced. Plus it's very difficult to find good SAP people, especially in the area I support. It's even more difficult to find good SAP people who also have good communication skills.

Education: B.S. Physics / B.S. Applied Math (top 40 school, non-ivy)
2006 Salary: $75,000 / plus ~$8000 stock / plus ~ $25k bonuses / plus health, dental, vision, and all food, transport, and other perks like gym paid for. Total comp around $110k

Future Salary Projection: Just found out I'm being promoted in 2007, but I won't find out the salary impact until April. I am budgeting for around $115k total for 2007.

What's the job like?: Awesome. I love everyday of my job. I basically speak two languages: sales and technical. I am really good at reducing technical things into non-technical terms. I consider my job pretty low stress since most of the stress falls onto the sales people to actually close the sales. I am just a catalyst.

Normal weeks I clock about 45 hours, and on long weeks I clock about 50-55.

I don't believe in recommending careers. If you follow your heart, it will take you to where you are happy. Money doesn't bring happiness. If you are clocking more than half your working hours doing something, you better love it, because the money won't fill that void.

NOTE: I am a regular fatwallet senior member but prefer to maintain anonymity.

2006 Salary: $71K + 40% bonus and some other misc comp.
Future Salary Projection: Varies but senior people make seven figures easily.
Benefits: Very strong benefits (medical, dental, flex spending accounts, gym member ships, personal computers, cell phone, subway paid for, etc).

What is job like: Fixed income investment research. Looking at every accept of a bond and making recommendation for purchase/sale for funds. Normally you specialize in a couple of industries or sectors (mortgage back securities, municipals, etc).

Definitely. It's hard to get into since people want you to have a "pedigree" (good school/grades/connections) but once your here people get paid a lot and the work is interesting. Expect to take the CFA exams and getting a MBA wouldn't hurt either.

stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

What is a Medical Consultant? Is this a sales position for Pharma or Medtech products?

That is about 30% of it. Most of it is educating doctors on the best procedure for thier patients. We look at their patients and make a recommendation based on X-rays and/or diagnosis.

mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

Education: BS in Finance...

That is about 30% of it. Most of it is educating doctors on the best procedure for thier patients. We look at their patients and make a recommendation based on X-rays and/or diagnosis.

That's scary to hear from someone with a BS in Finance as their self declared education.

kamalktk said: mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

That's scary to hear from someone with a BS in Finance as their self declared education.

Yah, I agree. I have heard about this before. How is someone with a business background capable of properly educating a physician on the use of pharmaceuticals or technical instruments, let alone evaluating x-rays or prior diagnoses. It is a fact of the industry but completely absurd if you ask me. Having said that, sounds like a great position. You can earn as much as many doctors with only a 4 year comparatively simple degree. Plus, you don't need to deal with all of the insurance regs, etc.

Education: BA
2006 Salary: $46k
Future Salary Projection: pretty much topped out for my market
Benefits: Medical, Dental, 3 weeks vacation.

What is job like: User's break it, I fix it. Generally, I like interacting with the users.

Would you recommend the career to others? No. After awhile you've seen and done it all. It's a job, not a career. That said it's a job that's not going away anytime soon. I want out into something that makes better use of my analytical skills.

I'm also a landlord, but I won't go into that here since it's highly variable how much you can make as a landlord and there is a whole gigantic sticky thread on the subject of investment property/landlording.

kamalktk said: mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

Take me into almost any surgery and I can tell you 2 to 3 mistakes a doctor is making. A doctor does about 4-5 procedures a week whereas I can do up to 30. How manydoctors do you think spend the time continuing their education on their own after they start their practice? Very few. When I am not working it is my job to know the current studies and what they show. You would be surprised at how little doctors actually know about medicine. Have you ever heard the saying that if you ask 10 doctors to diagnose a problem you will get 10 different answers? This shows that 9 of them are wrong.

mikef07 said: kamalktk said: mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

Take me into almost any surgery and I can tell you 2 to 3 mistakes a doctor is making. A doctor does about 4-5 procedures a week whereas I can do up to 30. How manydoctors do you think spend the time continuing their education on their own after they start their practice? Very few. When I am not working it is my job to know the current studies and what they show. You would be surprised at how little doctors actually know about medicine. Have you ever heard the saying that if you ask 10 doctors to diagnose a problem you will get 10 different answers? This shows that 9 of them are wrong.

This is quite off on a tangent, but I felt the need to reply. Let me get this straight. You are arguing that you are MORE qualified than a Physician to perform surgeries? I believe anybody with a brain is fairly capable of reading and evaluating most medical studies. However, there is more to medicine than just reading research - much of it is experience based from the many years spent in school, residency, internship and practicing. The context you have is comparatively very narrow.

stook2001 said: This is quite off on a tangent, but I felt the need to reply. Let me get this straight. You are arguing that you are MORE qualified than a Physician to perform surgeries? I believe anybody with a brain is fairly capable of reading and evaluating most medical studies. However, there is more to medicine than just reading research - much of it is experience based from the many years spent in school, residency, internship and practicing. The context you have is comparatively very narrow.There are in fact medical consultant positions out there similar to what OP is describing. However, I have never seen one that didn't require a M.D. degree, for obvious reasons. That, plus the 20-25 hour workweek and the $200K salary make mikef07's posting highly suspicious.

mikef07 said: kamalktk said: mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

no wonder there's a predicted massive physician shortfall: college grads are running the show, while those of us with education and experience end up filling out forms and getting sued.

stook2001 said:
This is quite off on a tangent, but I felt the need to reply. Let me get this straight. You are arguing that you are MORE qualified than a Physician to perform surgeries? I believe anybody with a brain is fairly capable of reading and evaluating most medical studies. However, there is more to medicine than just reading research - much of it is experience based from the many years spent in school, residency, internship and practicing. The context you have is comparatively very narrow.

Is scary that someone with a BS in Finance could control your treatment. Are they looking at the best possible treatment for the patient or the HMO's bottom line. Not trying to put him down as I really don't get this, but just seems wrong

scott1961 said: stook2001 said:

Is scary that someone with a BS in Finance could control your treatment. Are they looking at the best possible treatment for the patient or the HMO's bottom line. Not trying to put him down as I really don't get this, but just seems wrong

I don't think he works for an HMO. I think he works for either a pharma or medtech company in a pseudo sales position. All that said, I think we should drop this and get back to the discussion at hand.

stook2001 said: mikef07 said: kamalktk said: mikef07 said: stook2001 said: mikef07 said: Ok Here is mine:

I simply give the physician my opinion. I currently work with enlarged prostate patients. I will look at an enlarged prostate and make my recommendation on what type of treatment they should get. There are about 10 different procedures currently done. A physician can choose to ignore me or they can apply what I tell them. I will tel you most (about 75%) are picking the wrong way to treat their patients. I currently know bout 60-70 studies by memory, whereas a doctor may know 1 or possibly 2.

So besides prostate what other fields have you advised in? I find it weird that a person without an MD is advising doctors on what to do. You don't make any diagnosis right? just suggest the latest treatments

"Unqualified Patient (Hypochondriac) and Unqualified Medical Consultant (Mikef07) Fight for Attention of Physician: News at 11"

No wonder I can't get the time of day from my physician.

Occupation: IT Manager (Thats what your called when you dont do any real work, and just go to meetings and write documents)
Education: M.S. Computer Engineering, Various certificates in technology and project management
2006 Salary: $110,000
Future Salary Projection: Depends on my lawsuit. I am sueing my employer for adverse actions they took against me. If I win I project an increase to about $135k. The good thing about my job is its in the public sector, so I will get a 6 figure pension for life with health care.
What's the job like?

Boring. I go around and write strategic plans that no one pays attention to. I would get back into real hands-on work, but the money is in management.

If youre young, get into a start-up, work 60 hour weeks, learn a lot, and maybe get rich. Or you might get laid off. When you get a little older, try to find something less stressful, less time-consuming, and more dependable. IT is an interesting field, but it demands continuous education to stay on top of trends, and it can get too far away from interpersonal relationships if you spend all day pounding code. To really grow in the field, learn how to count money and manage people too.

hypochondriac said: You don't make any diagnosis right?
probably not but he can stick his finger up butts to confirm diagnosis

the other thing mikef07 is not considering is that his "diagnosis" is right 100% of the time because HE judges that it is the correct diagnosis. I know of no physician who would be so brazen as to say their diagnosis is correct 100% of the time. Just goes to show that a little knowledge is almost always a horrible thing. Plus, remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I have this sneeking suspecion that mikef07's treatment always involve the product he/she is trying to sell. Companies always do rah rah speeches to the lower levels, feed them data that supports their product (research that they paid for none of the less), then tell the "medical consultant" if you see it done any other way the doctor is wrong.

I won't even go into mikef07's pay.

OP sorry to hijack your thread.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

mikef07 said:
I will tel you most (about 75%) are picking the wrong way to treat their patients. I currently know bout 60-70 studies by memory, whereas a doctor may know 1 or possibly 2.

So your saying a urologist who treats people with prostate problems only knows 1 or 2 studies and 75% of the time they are not giving patients proper treatment? sorry I just find that very hard to believe

mikef07 said: You would be surprised at how little doctors actually know about medicine.
I am more surprised that someone with a BS in finance thinks he knows more about medicine than a doctor</blockquote>

Sorry for Hijacking the thread OP.

What do you mean by wrong treatment? Do you ineffective? Or just that there using treatments not patented by which ever company give you your training?

scott1961 said: hypochondriac said: You don't make any diagnosis right?
probably not but he can stick his finger up butts to confirm diagnosis

LOL!
my daughter just got accepted into medical school for fall 2007, and I wonder if she should quit, if this kind of "medical consultant" is for REAL!

Ok I will play:
Hubby and I work for the same employer...
Hubby:
2006 Salary: $53829.00
Future Salary Projection: Depends on overtime. Projected to make 45K this year on straight time only.
What's the job like?
Somewhat strenous at times. Some crazy hours at times. Overall, easy money.

Would you recommend the career to others? As long as you are in relativly good shape.
Bilingual is a plus too.
ME:
Age 35
2006 Salary: 34000.00
Future Salary Projection: 32500.00 Cash outs and bonuses play a large part in my final salary.
I do not get overtime

What's the job like? ALOT of riding around on trains and doing audits of fare media. Must have an imagination if introverted or like to talk to complete strangers if extroverted. Must have great bladdar control.

Would you recommend the career to others? As long as you have no life! I do, but I am #1 in senority and I work bankers hours and have weekends off. The others work at 0-dark:30 in the AM (4AM) or till 0-dark:30 at night (2 AM)
Great benefits! Better than State employees as far as vacation/sick time we get 3 weeks per year of each right now.

umcsom said: the other thing mikef07 is not considering is that his "diagnosis" is right 100% of the time because HE judges that it is the correct diagnosis. I know of no physician who would be so brazen as to say their diagnosis is correct 100% of the time. Just goes to show that a little knowledge is almost always a horrible thing. Plus, remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I have this sneeking suspecion that mikef07's treatment always involve the product he/she is trying to sell. Companies always do rah rah speeches to the lower levels, feed them data that supports their product (research that they paid for none of the less), then tell the "medical consultant" if you see it done any other way the doctor is wrong.

The reality is that if you go into see a Urologist and ask him how he treats an enlarged prostate he will say he does so with meds (Avodart and Flomax) or he does some type of procedure (For this example let us say a TURP). Well not all prostates should be treated with just these 2 types of treatments. His options should be meds, TURP, TUMT, TUNA, Greenlight, Indigo, Holap, HIFU and a few others. I look at the size of the prostate, the vascularity of a prostate, the age, the medical condition of a patient, how active they are, their symptoms, their current meds not related to the prostate, and whether or not they have other implants in them already and make a recommendation. Every male here on this board has an enlarged prostate since every person's postate grows over time. It is a matter of whether or not you have symptomatic problems related to this enlarged prostate. A doctor will know about 1 type of procedure pretty well and maybe (10% of the time) one more. Ask them what study they base which procedure they use and they will almost always admit that they haven't even looked at the data but instead just use what they learned in Med School. My partner who is 1 step above me will end up making $385,000 for doing the same thing I am doing but he has been around longer.

mikef07 said: umcsom said: the other thing mikef07 is not considering is that his "diagnosis" is right 100% of the time because HE judges that it is the correct diagnosis. I know of no physician who would be so brazen as to say their diagnosis is correct 100% of the time. Just goes to show that a little knowledge is almost always a horrible thing. Plus, remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The reality is that if you go into see a Urologist and ask him how he treats an enlarged prostate he will say he does so with meds (Avodart and Flomax) or he does some type of procedure (For this example let us say a TURP). Well not all prostates should be treated with just these 2 types of treatments. His options should be meds, TURP, TUMT, TUNA, Greenlight, Indigo, Holap, HIFU and a few others. I look at the size of the prostate, the vascularity of a prostate, the age, the medical condition of a patient, how active they are, their symptoms, their current meds not related to the prostate, and whether or not they have other implants in them already and make a recommendation. Every male here on this board has an enlarged prostate since every person's postate grows over time. It is a matter of whether or not you have symptomatic problems related to this enlarged prostate. A doctor will know about 1 type of procedure pretty well and maybe (10% of the time) one more. Ask them what study they base which procedure they use and they will almost always admit that they haven't even looked at the data but instead just use what they learned in Med School. My partner who is 1 step above me will end up making $385,000 for doing the same thing I am doing but he has been around longer.

Can I send you a sample? Kidding, but how can we sign up for your job?

mikef07 said:

I simply give the physician my opinion. I currently work with enlarged prostate patients. I will look at an enlarged prostate and make my recommendation on what type of treatment they should get. There are about 10 different procedures currently done. A physician can choose to ignore me or they can apply what I tell them. I will tel you most (about 75%) are picking the wrong way to treat their patients. I currently know bout 60-70 studies by memory, whereas a doctor may know 1 or possibly 2.

Hmm I wonder how many of these are studies funded by the med company you're working for that have small sample sizes compared to the ones the doctor should know i.e. big studies multicenter multiyear clinical trials with large numbers of patients. (New England Journal of Medicine Articles). I personally love when drug reps and durable medical equipment try to pass off studies published in journals that the medical library has a hard time finding and pass that off as hard science

Pioneer10 said: mikef07 said:

Hmm I wonder how many of these are studies funded by the med company you're working for that have small sample sizes compared to the ones the doctor should know i.e. big studies multicenter multiyear clinical trials with large numbers of patients. (New England Journal of Medicine Articles). I personally love when drug reps and durable medical equipment try to pass off studies published in journals that the medical library has a hard time finding and pass that off as hard science

I love it. The same question I get asked by doctors. I work for a small company who does not have the financial means of a large one so I can tell you that abolutely none are funded by us. The two main doctors who do studies in this field are Thayne Larson and Claus Roerborn. Neither work for our companies. If you think NE Journal is big in Urology you obviously don't know the industry. The studies I deal with go up to 600 patients for a sample size. Please know what you are talking about before you start in with your ignorance.

I feel compelled to comment on Mike. I know it sounds counter-intuitive and scary, but what mike says is actually true. My family has quite a few medical doctors in it and quite a few medical sales reps in it. My grandfather also owns part of a hospital.

The truth of the matter is, doctors go to a lot of school. The school teaches them how to do X. They go out and start their practice and they really do not have a lot of time to continue their education. Believe it or not... Doctors actually want to PRACTICE medicine and not just learn about it. There is no way they can keep up with all the latest advancements. As they get older, they get further and further behind in their field. Doctors are not immortals or have super powers. They are like every other joe out there.... Do you think every IT professional stays on top or every business person read every new theory on new management, etc? Of course not. They show up for their job, put in their time, and go home to their spouse and kids like everyone else.

Mike probably does not know more than a doctor. However, Mike probably is more updated in his niche than a lot of doctors. Remember, doctors have to know about a lot while Mike's focus is probably very narrow.

The lesson in this is to go to a good doctor. Go to a doctor who continues their education and works to improve their understanding. Like in every occupation, there are passionate doctors and doctors who just collect a paycheck.

Education: Bachelors in Business Admin
2006 Salary: $150,000
Future Salary Projection: I estimate low $xxx,xxx. Estimations aren't worth a whole lot though.
Benefits: None. I am not a generous employer.

What's the job like?

Lots of hours. Stressful. I get to make it what I want though.

I say people should do what they are passionate about.

mikef07 said...

MarcusR (brand new member 1/1/2007) said...

Lesson: Do not feed the trolls. They will multiply like Gremlins.

Or linger and become obnoxious.

Skipping 128 Messages...
Education: BS BA Management Information Systems and Entrepreneurship
2006 Salary: I recevid 2 offers i chose $80,000 + 3% per project bonus
Future Salary Projection: Expect to make about $85k for 2007, with 2-8% regular increases each year after that.

Benefits: Full medical, dental, normal sick and personal time, 9/80 work week every other Friday off. 2 weeks vacation.

The other job, was in CA and they offered base of 75K (FYI No state Tax in TX and Cost Of Living 20-25% less)

# 5k Signing Bonus
# 150 Stock Options
# 2x/year bonus reviews
# Comprehensive Relocation
# Immigration Assistance
# Employee Stock Purchase Program
# family medical insurance
# family dental insurance
# vision insurance
# Extensive Training opportunities
# 401(K) Matching
# 3 Weeks Paid Vacation
# 1 Day Personal Holiday
# 10 Company Holidays

What's the job like?

You work with business users and technical people to create new applications and/or updates to existing applications. I used to work in a Microsoft shop now this is all proprietary software. Same Idea you just need to understand basics of coding, Databases, technology in general and be able to work with people who (A) don't speak very good English sometimes and (b) be able to communicate to them what your business user wants. sometimes trickier than it sounds.

If you like technology, and working on teams to solve problems then yeah it is good you won't be bored. I want to move into management and this hopefully will be the last step before I do.

Hope this helps people looking out there. This is obvious butIF you don't like your salary look outside you company 90% of the time you will get at least a 15-20% raise.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014