• 1 234515
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I hope this will help someone else, I ran these numbers to figure out what type of rewards I could receive with my new Citi Driver's Edge card.

These numbers refer to the 6% for the first 12 months, 3% thereafter.
(6% gas/grocery/drug store)
$1675 in purchases = $100 reward cash
10,000 miles drove = $100 reward cash
(You can then redeem this $200 towards car expenses or a new/used car) (12% reward)
OR, convert these into 20,000 ThankYou points. Which can get you 2 $100 gift cards. (12% reward)
OR, use 18,500 points to get $100 + $25 statement credits. (7.46% reward) (1,500 points left over)

If you're purchasing anywhere else (1%) you'll get:
$15,000 in purchases = $150 reward cash
15,000 miles drove = $150 reward cash
(You can then redeem this $300 towards car expenses or a new/used car) (2% reward)
OR, convert these into 30,000 ThankYou points. Which can get you 3 $100 gift cards. (2% reward)
OR, use 30,000 points to get $175 statement credit. (1.17% reward)

Here's an example for standard rewards:

Spend $3333.33 on everyday purchases = $100 in options rebates (3%)
Spend $5000.00 on all other purchases = $50 in options rebates (1%)
Drive 15,000 miles = $150 in drive rebates ($0.01 per mile)

You now have $300 to redeem, which is equivalent to 6% on everyday purchases and 2% on all other purchases.

($1 reward converts to 100 ThankYou network points) Convert by calling 1-800-308-4158.

Purchase/Bonus Rebates and Drive Rebates must be redeemed 1:1 for the best results.
Examples: If you have made $5000 in purchases ($50 rewards) you must have 5,000 miles to double your reward. If you have many more miles than purchase rewards (as most of us do) they deduct only as many "miles" as purchase/bonus rewards you are redeeming.

Forms to: Redeem rebates for the purchase or lease of a vehicle, Redeem rebates for service on your vehicle, Miles Submission Form and Drive Rebates Enrollment Forms can be found HERE.

From member "citifan": Fax number for submitting mileage updates is: 702-797-5151 (instead of postal mailing) (phone number updated Feb. 2008).

You may NOT redeem drive rebates without an equal or greater purchase rebate amount. (checked 7/1/09)

If anyone else has some more examples I'll edit this and add them in.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You know what, I seriously mourned the passing of my DE card. Now, over six months later, I much prefer my FIA 1.5-2.0%... (more)

peteypablo (Oct. 25, 2011 @ 4:47p) |

To each his own. I raved to a friend about the CDE card and convinced her to get it. I mean, who wouldn't dig 12% Cash... (more)

cpaynter (Oct. 25, 2011 @ 7:20p) |

I don't disagree with you, but I think in hindsight that my DE cards may have made me a bit too relaxed about GGD spendi... (more)

peteypablo (Oct. 25, 2011 @ 10:27p) |

As of April 2010 thay have stopped accepting the faxes, so mailing them in is the only way to update your mileage.

To redeem your Driver's Edge Options rebates toward merchandise or services through ThankYou® Network, you must first convert your Driver's Edge Options rebates to ThankYou Points by calling a Driver's Edge Customer Service Representative at 1-800-308-4158.

* Citi Driver's Edge Options Platinum Select MasterCard) (Inoperative 6/22/09)
* Information. (Application link not working)
* Reward Program Information
* Best way to use Citi Thank You Points (fw thread). If none of those work for you, redeem for statement credit for automotive services or vehicle purchase or lease.

Reward Limit: You can earn up to $500 in Drive Rebates during any consecutive 12 months. However, the total amount of rebates you can earn under the Driver's Edge Rebate Program (including those earned under this Drive Rebates feature) cannot exceed the Driver's Edge Rebate Program yearly rebate limit of $1,000.
Redeem For: Statement Credit or transfer as points to the ThankYou Network.
Redemption minimum: $25
Expiration: Rebates will automatically expire if you do not make a transaction for 12 consecutive months, or if you do not redeem your rebates within five years from the date the rebates are earned.

Earn 6% for 12 months (promo), and 3% thereafter on everyday purchases (gas, groceries, drug stores), and 1% on all other purchases (known as "options rebates"). You will also earn $0.01 for every mile you drive on your one registered vehicle (known as "drive rebates"). You can't redeem drive rebates unless you have as many (or more) purchase rebates, but they will accumulate in your account until you can redeem them. If you drive at least 3 miles for every dollar spent on everyday purchases, you could effectively double your total rebate. Read the Reward Program Information for all the details.

Examples in the OP do the 12% promo calculation. Here's an example for standard rewards:

Spend $3333.33 on everyday purchases = $100 in options rebates (3%)
Spend $5000.00 on all other purchases = $50 in options rebates (1%)
Drive 15,000 miles = $150 in drive rebates ($0.01 per mile)

You now have $300 to redeem, which is equivalent to 6% on everyday purchases and 2% on all other purchases.

Forms to: Redeem rebates for the purchase or lease of a vehicle, Redeem rebates for service on your vehicle, Miles Submission Form and Drive Rebates Enrollment Forms can be found HERE.

From member "citifan": Fax number for submitting mileage updates is: 702-797-5151 (instead of postal mailing) (phone number updated Feb. 2008).

Interesting, did not know you could convert CashBack dollars into TY points. Its real easy to get rid of those gift cards on eBay for nearly their value (especially Amazon) so the TY point 12% and 2% route sounds nice

Too bad I don't drive more than 3k miles a year otherwise I'd be on top of this.

I have asked Citi to convert Dividend Dollars to Thank You Points several times. They have always said this is not possible. If someone has a different experience I'd like to know the magic words.

I'm not familiar with the Dividend Dollars, but the conversion is in the terms of the Driver's Edge card. Look at the "Earn Rebates" bullet point "Convert your rebates to ThankYou Points and redeem them for gift cards, merchandise and services through ThankYou Network"

"$1 for every 100 miles you drive - up to $1,000 every 12 months. "
that's $10 reward, am I missing something here?

The limits on drive rewards are $500, so that is up to 50,000 miles driven a year.

After that they just don't count them. And, of course you have to redeem rebates 1:1 to get double. You can't use more drive rebates than purchase rebates.

aoLhaTer said: Interesting, did not know you could convert CashBack dollars into TY points. Its real easy to get rid of those gift cards on eBay for nearly their value (especially Amazon) so the TY point 12% and 2% route sounds nice

Not recommended. Selling for less than face value and then have eBay/PayPal taking a big chunk of the proceeds is not a good idea. Get something you can actually use yourself, which shouldn't be difficult.

Sometimes the TY network offers certain $100 GCs for less than 10,000 points, increasing the redemption value.

Also, the drive miles cannot be converted to the ThankYou network. If you look at the terms and conditions it explicitly states that Driver’s Edge Options Rebates (“Rebates”) can be converted to the ThankYou Network. When you get to the Drive rebates section it says "you are eligible to earn rebates for the miles you drive ("Drive Rebates"). These Drive Rebates are in addition to the standard or promotional Driver's Edge Options rebates ("Options Rebates")." See Drive rebates are separate from Options Rebates and thus only the drive rebates can be redeemed. This is what customer service as well as existing customers with the card have informed me. Thus the drive rebates become worthless if you are transferring your options rebates to the ThankYou Network.

Joe1690 said: Also, the drive miles cannot be converted to the ThankYou network.

Yes, they can, when paired with the regular rebates. I have done that a couple times.

Seems like good credit card... 6% can't be beat. I have a question. Below is quote from the credit card website. Does that mean Wal-Mart,winn-dixie, etc is out of question for 6% rebate?

"Purchases not eligible to receive the 3% rebates (6% rebates for 12 months)include, but are not limited to,purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores."

While I cannot understand how OP came up with 12% reward, the card definitely looks like a good deal for 1 year.

My gas/groceries/Drugstore monthly bill is around $500 plus I drive about 18000 miles a year.
So my total comes up as $6000*6%+$180=$540. 540/6000 is 9% which is a very generous reward.

However, I'd like to point out that the reward can only be used towards auto expenses in which case you lose the difference between 1% the card will pay and the maximum reward you can get by paying for the service with another card (2% with HSBC in my case). Alternatively rewards can be converted into ThankYou points but due to the current point pricing of gift cards they carry the reward then will be reduced by 1/6 so it will ultimately be 9%*6/5=7.5%.

I pointed it all out just to show that in case of this card you really have to do your own math and figure out how you can use the rewards.

With that said I'd like to thank the OP and move forward to the card application page

airattack said: Seems like good credit card... 6% can't be beat. I have a question. Below is quote from the credit card website. Does that mean Wal-Mart,winn-dixie, etc is out of question for 6% rebate?

"Purchases not eligible to receive the 3% rebates (6% rebates for 12 months)include, but are not limited to,purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores."

That is because only supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations earn 3% (6%). And, some wal marts, sam's clubs etc. sell those things (gas, drugs, etc.) and those aren't counted at that rate. Only at the 1% rate.

FreeJason said: airattack said: Seems like good credit card... 6% can't be beat. I have a question. Below is quote from the credit card website. Does that mean Wal-Mart,winn-dixie, etc is out of question for 6% rebate?

That is because only supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations earn 3% (6%). And, some wal marts, sam's clubs etc. sell those things (gas, drugs, etc.) and those aren't counted at that rate. Only at the 1% rate.

Super Walmarts show up at the grocery rate of 3%. So if you are planning on going into Sam's, go to WalMart first and buy a giftcard with the Driver's Edge card, then shop at Sam's.

Wife and I do this and works like a charm.

Argh...it's painful that I'll be using the balance transfer to make money here instead of those sorts of rewards. I want my cake and to eat it too!

largeeyes said: Argh...it's painful that I'll be using the balance transfer to make money here instead of those sorts of rewards. I want my cake and to eat it too!
they don't disclose the balance transfer fee up front but condiering it's standard 3% you might be better of just using the untaxable rewards...

3% capped at $75. stinky linky

WalStMonky said: 3% capped at $75. stinky linky
I went to that link and saw no mention of $75 cap. I know there is a $1000 per year cap on the free bonus mileage money.

BT fee is capped at $75. I was responding to the post above mine. I guess I should have quoted it. I think the $1000 is split 500/500 but I could be wrong.

Opps, sorry about that. Yes, $75 max.

FreeJason said: And, of course you have to redeem rebates 1:1 to get double. You can't use more drive rebates than purchase rebates.

Just a little confused about this... is this clause in place to prevent people from keeping this card just for the Drive Rebates every year? I drive ~10k miles per year and only use my DE card for car repair purchases. I do all my G/G/D purchases on my 5% citibank platnium select and everything else on my Fido 1.5% FIA card.

I think I might not be maximizing my Rebates on DE. In order to redeem 10,000 miles driven for $100 Drive Rebates, do I need to earn $100 in non Drive Rebates?? Meaning..I would have to spend $10,000 annually on this card? If this is the case, $10,000 spent on my DE card will yield a 2% rebate (factoring in Drive Rebates) whereas $10,000 spent on FIA Fido 1.5% is just that, 1.5%. Is my understanding correct?

Yes, that is correct. It is very confusing, that is why I made several calls to their reward department and ended up making this thread.

Assuming the promo period has expired, wouldn't one need only charge $3,333.33 at the 3% merchants and drive 10,000 miles to get a $200 or 20,000 TY point rebate?

Yes, that is correct. Although my previous post took into account the person going to a 1% Cash Back merchant. But, it is my understanding that drive miles must be redeem 1:1 with 1%/3%/6% rebates.

Well, this puts the non-promo rebate between 2 and 6%. I think this card is going to the top of my AOR list. With the 500/500 cap it's likely I'll never have to put it away. Then if I can just get my car to break down so I won't have to suffer any more TY points...

Yes.

I will add to the original post the reward calculations after the promotional period ends. Although some have suggested canceling and opening new account.

WalStMonky said: Well, this puts the non-promo rebate between 2 and 6%. I think this card is going to the top of my AOR list. With the 500/500 cap it's likely I'll never have to put it away. Then if I can just get my car to break down so I won't have to suffer any more TY points...
Can you use the rewards on service on more than one car? I.e. my wife's and mine?

Question:

Is Driver's Edge Platinum Select and Driver's Edge Option the same card?

I like the 6% rebate but I only want it to be TY pts - how can I make sure I get the Driver's Edge Option version?

Is Driver's Edge Platinum Select and Driver's Edge Option the same card?

Yeah, these are one in the same card.

jmz668 said: WalStMonky said: Well, this puts the non-promo rebate between 2 and 6%. I think this card is going to the top of my AOR list. With the 500/500 cap it's likely I'll never have to put it away. Then if I can just get my car to break down so I won't have to suffer any more TY points...
Can you use the rewards on service on more than one car? I.e. my wife's and mine?

They only allow one car per account. So you would need to apply and use two seperate accounts.

FreeJason said: jmz668 said: WalStMonky said: Well, this puts the non-promo rebate between 2 and 6%. I think this card is going to the top of my AOR list. With the 500/500 cap it's likely I'll never have to put it away. Then if I can just get my car to break down so I won't have to suffer any more TY points...

They only allow one car per account. So you would need to apply and use two seperate accounts.

Maybe they have changed their rules, but in the past on 2 occasions, my mom has used her DE credits to pay for a repair on my car. She calls the repair shop and puts the charge on her DE card. I get an extra receipt and fill out the form with my VIN # and all, she signs and we mail in. Credit has appeared on her statement both times. Both my mom and I each have our cars enrolled in the program. YMMV.

Just got off the phone w/ Citibank CSR. Now I'm really curious about maximizing my DE rebates. With my existing DE card I'm earning 3% on G/G/D purchases and 1% on all other purchases. Capped at $1,000 per year. CSR confirmed that in order to redeem $100 in Drive Rebates I must have earned $100 in non-Drive Rebates, as discussed here.

When I asked her about the new cards that earn 6% on G/G/D purchases she said she could not convert my existing card, but I could apply for a new account. Nothing new so far... But then she said I could enroll the SAME car in the Drive Rebates program on BOTH cards. I could earn $.01 /mile on my existing card PLUS $.01 on my new card. All with the same car. That can't be right...can it??

If that is correct, say I drive 10,000 miles per year and spend $20k (non G/G/D) / year, I would spend $10,000 on card one. Earning $100 spending rebates + $100 Drive rebates = $200 on card one. Spend $10,000 on card two, earn $100 spending rebates plus + $100 Drive Rebates = $200 on card two. Total reward =$400.

If I use just one card, I would earn $200 spending rebates + $100 Drive Rebates = $300. According to CSR, one can "Double Dip" their Drive Rebates by getting two cards. That doesn't seem right to me. I believe CSR is mistaken, but she insisted I could enroll the same car on two cards. Any insight?

I would guess Citi for the most part doesn't really care. The point is to have some sort of gimmick that induces you to spend more money on the card. Similar to the PremierPass card. I'm somewhat surprised the CSR would actively suggest such a thing, but I doubt it's something they would try to check.

Here I've got a different story. When I talked to Citi CSR on the phone to convert my Driver's Edge rebate to TY network points, I was told that they had to convert my Driver's Edge account to Diamond Preferred account to accomplish the conversion. And, from the time I am done with the conversion, I will start to earn a mere 2% TY network points instead of the 6% rebate I am currently earning. What a terrible thing to do the conversion!

That is definately incorrect, maybe call back and ask someone else. Also, checkout the other thread on this topic for many, many more people who have done the conversion. 10,000 miles drove = $100 reward cash. $100 reward cash converts to 10,000 ThankYou Points.

Does maintenance performed on the enrolled car have to be performed at a dealership, or is any independent mechanic acceptable to claim the Drive rebates?

Any dealer/shop is fine. Just needs to include the date, vehicle information, your name, etc. on a receipt. You then mail that to them for reimbursement.

What happens if the car you enrolled blows up, or you get a new one? Can you swap one car for another? I do know that you can only have one car enrolled at a time.

Also regarding the Drive Rebates: We know you must have an equivalent amount of Option (spending) Rebates to convert the Drive Rebates (along with the Options Rebates) to Citi TY points. However, must you also have an equivalent number of Option Rebates to redeem the Drive Rebates for automotive repair?

It seems that you can redeem your Drive Rebates for automotive repair, purchase, or lease of a new/used car without having accrued ANY Options Rebates. Is this correct?

Wait, when you convert your Drive Rebates to TY points, do you also have to convert the equivalent number of Options point to TY point as well? Or can you simply leave your Options Rebates untouched?

CoastieRob said: Just got off the phone w/ Citibank CSR. Now I'm really curious about maximizing my DE rebates. With my existing DE card I'm earning 3% on G/G/D purchases and 1% on all other purchases. Capped at $1,000 per year. CSR confirmed that in order to redeem $100 in Drive Rebates I must have earned $100 in non-Drive Rebates, as discussed here.

When I asked her about the new cards that earn 6% on G/G/D purchases she said she could not convert my existing card, but I could apply for a new account. Nothing new so far... But then she said I could enroll the SAME car in the Drive Rebates program on BOTH cards.

This is specifically prohibited in their terms. I do not know whether they enforce it, but I would not risk my rebate ($1000 currently).

Now, I have a question. When you send service receipts for redemption, they automatically update your mileage if stated on the receipt. Will these miles be wasted if you do not have any matching spending on the card? For example, if I've driven 10000 miles since their last update, but spent only $75 on service, will the redemption of the $75 rebate "cost" me 10K miles that would turn into points if I spend 10K on the card first? In this case, you have to be very careful with the timing of your redemptions - or cross the mileage off or something...

EugeneV said: When you send service receipts for redemption, they automatically update your mileage if stated on the receipt. Will these miles be wasted if you do not have any matching spending on the card?
I had always assumed that you could submit all the mileage (drive rebates) you want. However, you wouldn't be able to redeem the full amount of drive rebates unless your purchase rebates (including bonus rebates?) was equal or greater.

From my rebate summary below:
Total Purchase Rebates: $15.85
Total Drive Rebates: $64.88
Total Bonus Rebates: $80.73

DRIVER'S EDGE REBATES SUMMARY
Period ending 03/26/07
Purchase Rebates 7.04
Drive Rebates Submitted 64.88
Bonus Rebates Earned 40.20
Adjustments / Expired 0.00
Rebates Redeemed 0.00
Rebates Converted to Points 0.00
============================
New Driver's Edge Rebates 112.12

To see the total ThankYou Points currently available for
redemption, go to the ThankYou Network Website.

Previous Balance
Purchase Rebates Earned 8.81
Drive Rebates Submitted 0.00
Bonus Rebates Earned 40.53
==============================
Previous Driver's Edge Rebates 49.34

Skipping 541 Messages...
I don't disagree with you, but I think in hindsight that my DE cards may have made me a bit too relaxed about GGD spending. Also maintenance expenses. When all else is even approximately equal, I think cash is best. And I grossed more than you in DE rebates.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014