• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The promotion code for this offer doesn't work when you plug it into the HSBC homepage, but if you go directly to the link, you can reach it. The expiration date on the offer has changed several times over the past year - currently, it's March 12, 2007.

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal/checking/freecheckingoffer?code=CHECK

Pertinent excerpts from the page follow:

Thank you for opening an account at HSBC. Now you're ready to start banking smarter, with products and services that make sense for your finances -- now with a special offer:
Get a Free Checking Account and when you open an HSBC Debit MasterCard® with PayPassTM, you'll receive a $25 Cash Bonus!*

* Cash bonus is available to new customers opening an HSBC Debit MasterCard® with PayPass. If you qualify, $25 will be deposited in your checking account within 6 to 8 weeks after the Debit MasterCard® account opening. HSBC reserves the right to charge your checking account an amount equal to the bonus if your Debit MasterCard® does not remain open for at least 180 days.

Limited to one (1) cash bonus per household. Offer expires March 12, 2007, is subject to change and cannot be combined with any other offers.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I had just about given up. I even un-subcribed to this thread. Just when I thought it was all over, I get a nice surpris... (more)

01LX (May. 25, 2007 @ 11:00a) |

I opened the account with this link on Feb 28, received nothing, didn't open the $75 one, so this is the only checking I... (more)

watssion (Jul. 19, 2007 @ 11:56p) |

i just got my $25 bonus today as a "miscellaneous credit" ... they told me they were going to credit it this past monday... (more)

henare (Jul. 20, 2007 @ 3:56a) |

$25 dollar closing fee if closed within 6 months.

Have to write at least 3 checks a month to avoid fees?
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

is it a hard pull or soft pull?

thanks

Westapher317 said: The promotion code for this offer doesn't work when you plug it into the HSBC homepage, but if you go directly to the link, you can reach it. The expiration date on the offer has changed several times over the past year - currently, it's March 12, 2007.

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal/checking/freecheckingoffer?code=CHECK

Pertinent excerpts from the page follow:

Thank you for opening an account at HSBC. Now you're ready to start banking smarter, with products and services that make sense for your finances -- now with a special offer:
Get a Free Checking Account and when you open an HSBC Debit MasterCard® with PayPassTM, you'll receive a $25 Cash Bonus!*

* Cash bonus is available to new customers opening an HSBC Debit MasterCard® with PayPass. If you qualify, $25 will be deposited in your checking account within 6 to 8 weeks after the Debit MasterCard® account opening. HSBC reserves the right to charge your checking account an amount equal to the bonus if your Debit MasterCard® does not remain open for at least 180 days.

Limited to one (1) cash bonus per household. Offer expires March 12, 2007, is subject to change and cannot be combined with any other offers.

Most likely a softie, judging by my previous experience.

Excellent promo. I did this back at the end of December. Made my $1 deposit on 12/22, and the $25 showed up on 1/3.

Take advantage while its still available.

any minimum account balance or other usage requirements on the checking account??

Sorry, I just went to the website and it said no minim balance, etc. However, I asked about checking account at HSBC a while back, and the free checking then required that you write a check (physically) 3x per month in order to remain 'free checking'. I didn't see this or any other requirements here, but still wondering if I'm missing something.

applied and verified that still no hard pull.....it says 1 per household, but tempted to go after a second in our house...also, it appears that you have to make sure to check off that you want a debit card latter in the application since that is a requirment of the promo.

i'm confused, i just opened an online savings with them over the weekend, i dont think i signed up for checking, but i am getting an atm card. can i still apply for checking after i get my paperwork?

nevermind

gobucs007 said: i'm confused, i just opened an online savings with them over the weekend, i dont think i signed up for checking, but i am getting an atm card. can i still apply for checking after i get my paperwork?

The ATM card is for your savings. You can still open a free checking account along with a MC debit card.

On the website the offer is now extended until April 10, 2007. Some posts mentioned the 3 checks a month requirement but I didn't see anything about that on the website. Would someone tell me where to find this information?

stfs said: On the website the offer is now extended until April 10, 2007. Some posts mentioned the 3 checks a month requirement but I didn't see anything about that on the website. Would someone tell me where to find this information?
I recently applied too, and didn't see any mentions of the 3 cks/mth. Either not a requirement anymore or not seemingly obvious.

This isn't a requirement anymore. One thing that is stated in the T&C is that if your account has no activity for 3 months, it will be converted to a "Basic Banking" acct, which carries a monthly fee. Just have some activity (anything, not just a check) at least once every three months.

Quote from HSBC Free Checking Terms and Charges:

"If the Free Checking account is inactive for three consecutive months, the account will be converted to Basic Banking and will be subject to the Basic Banking Terms and Charges."

These are the only added fees for the Basic Banking account:

$3 Maintenance Fee
$.35 Check Fee for each check/withdrawal slip you write over 8

I got a ATM card with my savings account , Is it limited to N withdrawals from HSBC ATM ?

boldm28 said: I got a ATM card with my savings account , Is it limited to N withdrawals from HSBC ATM ?

The total of six withdrawals per month applies, not sure that was what you meant.

yes that is what i meant , they have HSBC atms in wallgreens

Thanks

Westapher317 said: This isn't a requirement anymore. One thing that is stated in the T&C is that if your account has no activity for 3 months, it will be converted to a "Basic Banking" acct, which carries a monthly fee. Just have some activity (anything, not just a check) at least once every three months.

"If the Free Checking account is inactive for three consecutive months, the account will be converted to Basic Banking and will be subject to the Basic Banking Terms and Charges."

$3 Maintenance Fee

I missed that. Thanks.

76hhma said: boldm28 said: I got a ATM card with my savings account , Is it limited to N withdrawals from HSBC ATM ?

The total of six withdrawals per month applies, not sure that was what you meant.

Really? Only 6, I missed that too. Isn't the 6 only related to ACH/EFT's for a Savings according to Regulation D?

boldm28 said: yes that is what i meant , they have HSBC atms in wallgreens

Thanks

Do Wallgreens HSBC ATMs accept deposits as well?

01LX said:
Really? Only 6, I missed that too. Isn't the 6 only related to ACH/EFT's for a Savings according to Regulation D?

I recall that the limit of six refers to any combination of ATM withdrawals, bank withdrawals, and ACHs, out of them a maximum of three are for checks, draft, and (maybe) ATM withdrawals. But do double-check with HSBC CSRs.

Note: I do not have any ATM experience since we do not have HSBC banks/ATMs near us.

The federal "6" rule for savings and money market savings accounts do not apply to atm withdrawals, atm transfers between accounts, or the same things done with a teller....everything else DOES count (including ACH Pulls). Individual banks can also impose additional restrictions if they want to, though most do not....Just check the fee schedule for your particular bank....

From HSBC:
What are the maximum number of withdrawals and deposits that I can make in a calendar month or statement cycle?

With our simple Personal Internet Banking, you can make unlimited deposits and up to 6 withdrawals per calendar month or statement cycle. However, with your HSBC ATM card, you can make an unlimited number of deposits and withdrawals of up to $1,000 a day.

The things I don't like about HSBC are, Walgreens around my neighborhood (Calif.) don't have HSBC ATMs, unable to obtain the local branches ph#, not many local branches around, and their search engine sucks big time. Other than that, I do like their 6% promo rate.

For the people that have applied was it a hard pull?

Donedealzz said: For the people that have applied was it a hard pull?

No hard pull.

01LX said: From HSBC:

The things I don't like about HSBC are, Walgreens around my neighborhood (Calif.) don't have HSBC ATMs, unable to obtain the local branches ph#, not many local branches around, and their search engine sucks big time. Other than that, I do like their 6% promo rate.

Yeah, there are like No HSBC ATMs on the whole West Coast. I am in Oregon and there was actually ONE listed but the address on their website doesn't even exist for that single "Household" location when trying to punch it into google maps. There also is ONE "office" but there are no branches in the entire state.

I've never even used the card in any ATMs for fear of getting charged massive fees. Anyone know of any ATM networks/locations that are free for HSBC debit/atm cards?

ChrisV said: 01LX said: From HSBC:

Yeah, there are like No HSBC ATMs on the whole West Coast. I am in Oregon and there was actually ONE listed but the address on their website doesn't even exist for that single "Household" location when trying to punch it into google maps. There also is ONE "office" but there are no branches in the entire state.

I've never even used the card in any ATMs for fear of getting charged massive fees. Anyone know of any ATM networks/locations that are free for HSBC debit/atm cards?

I've done withdrawals at a couple of Wells Fargo branch ATMs in the Seattle area and those are fee-free. No fee by Wells Fargo and no fee by HSBC. Same was reported in the HSBC thread for California Wells Fargo ATMs.

01LX said: Westapher317 said: This isn't a requirement anymore. One thing that is stated in the T&C is that if your account has no activity for 3 months, it will be converted to a "Basic Banking" acct, which carries a monthly fee. Just have some activity (anything, not just a check) at least once every three months.

$3 Maintenance Fee

I missed that. Thanks.

76hhma said: boldm28 said: I got a ATM card with my savings account , Is it limited to N withdrawals from HSBC ATM ?

boldm28 said: yes that is what i meant , they have HSBC atms in wallgreens

Thanks

Do Wallgreens HSBC ATMs accept deposits as well?

I never deposited . but will try ..may be in couple of days , will keep you updated

jljl8 said: ChrisV said:

I've done withdrawals at a couple of Wells Fargo branch ATMs in the Seattle area and those are fee-free. No fee by Wells Fargo and no fee by HSBC. Same was reported in the HSBC thread for California Wells Fargo ATMs.

That's very good news. I know there are a quite a few Wells Fargo's around here. It is a shame HSBC doesn't put this info prominately anywhere. Maybe I will go risk it and give it a try to confirm it works in Oregon Wells Fargo's ATMs too. I better move more than $1.00 into my checking first though ;p

Yep, I just tested ATM withdrawel at Wells Fargo here in Oregon. Withdrew from my free checking account at a Wells Fargo ATM with my Debit Mastercard. No indication of any fees charged. Also checked balance as well before withdrawing. Weird thing was it didn't print a balance on the receipt with the withdraw...it was just blank where it should have been. I will report back(Edit this post) if they do end up charing me any fees but so far so good. Also checked online on the account and noticed no fees charged(yet).

Westapher317 said:
One thing that is stated in the T&C is that if your account has no activity for 3 months, it will be converted to a "Basic Banking" acct, which carries a monthly fee. Just have some activity (anything, not just a check) at least once every three months.

$3 Maintenance Fee

ACH out or ATM withdrawal should count, right?

Couple question for the people who've done this deal:

How long was it before you got your debit card?

Was it easy to link the new checking account to an HSBC online savings account, do you get unified log on, how easy is it to move money between the two accounts?

I signed up and mailed my signature card almost 2 weeks ago and I've heard nothing from them. Typical HSBC bull.

I wonder if I can do this together with the $75 bonus interest checking account. The terms both said "Limited to one (1) cash bonus per household" but it doesn't say 1 cash bonus per account type.

busterbaxter said: I wonder if I can do this together with the $75 bonus interest checking account. The terms both said "Limited to one (1) cash bonus per household" but it doesn't say 1 cash bonus per account type.
Interesting you mentioned that. I didn't read the fine print. I just went ahead and signed up for the $75 anyways. I hope it works.

EndlessKnight said: Couple question for the people who've done this deal:

Was it easy to link the new checking account to an HSBC online savings account, do you get unified log on, how easy is it to move money between the two accounts?

It was ~a week for me.

They automatically added the checking account to my current online savings login/pass.

It's a shame the $75 Interest Checking promo came after this one. Now folks have a choice between the two. And obviously, the $75 one looks more enticing.

Any of you applied for that one as well? I did, although I didn't read the fine print, it saids 'one offer per household.' I'm taking that as either or, and not both. Even though I applied and sent in my signature card, I believe if I don't confirm the trial deps, this will stop the process altogether. Anybody have success with the 2nd bonus?

The other thing I wanted to discuss was the activity or inactivity there of. I read that if 3 months go by without any activities, it gets converted to another ck acct w/$3 per mth charge regardless of balance. Does transferring money between HSBC's savings count as activity?

SilverB18C1 said: EndlessKnight said: Couple question for the people who've done this deal:

It was ~a week for me.

They automatically added the checking account to my current online savings login/pass.

ditto...

BTW, if you want the free checks, you have to call in to request them.

01LX said: It's a shame the $75 Interest Checking promo came after this one. Now folks have a choice between the two. And obviously, the $75 one looks more enticing.

Any of you applied for that one as well? I did, although I didn't read the fine print, it saids 'one offer per household.' I'm taking that as either or, and not both. Even though I applied and sent in my signature card, I believe if I don't confirm the trial deps, this will stop the process altogether. Anybody have success with the 2nd bonus?

The other thing I wanted to discuss was the activity or inactivity there of. I read that if 3 months go by without any activities, it gets converted to another ck acct w/$3 per mth charge regardless of balance. Does transferring money between HSBC's savings count as activity?

Why do you say that? I asked about the 1 bonus per household limit in the $75 thread and someone said they have received multiple sign-up bonuses for HSBC accounts so I think it's not a bad gamble, especially if you have a savings account already with HSBC to meet the $3,000 min. balance requirement.

Has anyone received their $25 yet? It's about to be 8 weeks on the 6-8 week wait time from my sign-up date.

Applied on 2/7, but still no bonus. I DID however apply for and receive the $75 bonus offer for interest checking after applying for this $25 offer.

krk206s said: Applied on 2/7, but still no bonus. I DID however apply for and receive the $75 bonus offer for interest checking after applying for this $25 offer.

I funded mine on 2/26 and no bonus yet. Signed my wife up for the interest checking and received that $75 yesterday. Both these accounts are linked to our online savings account but we have seperate log ins...wondering about the one per household thing but glad they decided to make the one the $75 if that is the case...

Haven't received my bonus yet either.

Skipping 33 Messages...
i just got my $25 bonus today as a "miscellaneous credit" ... they told me they were going to credit it this past monday, and when it didn't happen i forwarded the email they sent and the credit appeared today.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014