• filter:
  • 1116117118119 120
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
If you want to get CashBack for gas but still pay the lower rate, just get a serve card, load it with your 2% card and then use serve for the gas purchase if they take amex

rated:
LearningFast said:   
SyZpuzzler said:   So you mean the ones that appear on this page? http://i.imgur.com/XLKfQbA.png 

Just something that will reward me for using it with Cash Back, I don't anticipate too much traveling as I'm trying to conserve and live below my means right now

I know the balance transfer cards are alluring, but they can't possibly have good long-term aspects because there has to be something to counter the bonus of getting the balance transfer - I'm ok with not transferring and paying a little more now for interest if it means I can get better terms and conditions for the long haul

Yes. Go to full credit report and see when your balance says zero.
I would second the above. Get a 2% CashBack card. I would suggest the new citi double cash since it will be more widely accepted than the fidelity amex, the main no annual fee competitor. There is also the penfed card that gives you 5% CashBack on gas, but it is really hard to get accepted for it. I would say go for the double cash, wait 6 months or more and then try for other more category specific cards if you want them

Why go for multiple cards? ".. wait 6 months or more and then try for other more category specific cards .."

rated:
Because you can get more points/CashBack by, say, using Sallie Mae for gas and groceries, US Bank cash+ for dining and double cash for everythingn else

rated:
Syz -- many here at FWF are credit card junkies and have found ways to make money with multiple cards. We're not normal people. Normal people have 1, 2, 3 cards. Many here have ten times that many. Start searching old threads if you want to get into it. Caution: It is not for everyone. It requires discipline, a little daring and significant attention to detail.

It's also 100% OK to have 1, 2, 3 cards and be normal.

rated:
debentureboy said:   Syz -- many here at FWF are credit card junkies and have found ways to make money with multiple cards. We're not normal people. Normal people have 1, 2, 3 cards. Many here have ten times that many. Start searching old threads if you want to get into it. Caution: It is not for everyone. It requires discipline, a little daring and significant attention to detail.

I agree about not having a ton of cards. I wasn't trying to make money per se, but I did get a bunch of cards for my wife and I for every different thing we spent on. After about 6 months I sock drawered most of them. We now do the Barclaycard Arrival for everything except we us our Amex Blue Cash for gas, groceries, and Costco. I was playing the categories game with more cards but it was more stress than it is worth. And it was up to me to keep my wife educated and that was a pain too. Although I hate to admit it, knowing you can get 5% back for a certain category does influence where you spend money. My wife and I are happy with 2.2% back on everything. We travel a lot so it works well for us.

I'm a big fan of a thin wallet, literally. I highly recommend Allett if anybody here wants a quality durable thin wallet. They also don't use material between your cards which makes them thinner. You can see what they have here: http://www.all-ett.com/ I play this game at parties when I see somebody with a huge, back-threatening, George Costanza exploding wallet. I tell the person to come sit down with me and we pour everything on to a table. It never fails, within 20 minutes we've taken out half the crap and their wallet is way thinner. If there is something you use once a month or less you can usually throw it out. The rewards cards, punch cards, business cards from that guy you met 3 years ago that does that thing, receipts from your Italian vacation 5 years ago, etc. I've seen so much crap, just ditch it!  It's a wallet, not a filing cabinet. And get those family photos on the cloud and your phone, they'll be there when you need them

My wallet: A few credit cards, a couple insurance cards, Costco card, drivers license, a small amount of cash, BOOM! Under a half inch with this bad boy

rated:
Matrim33 said:   
debentureboy said:   Syz -- many here at FWF are credit card junkies and have found ways to make money with multiple cards. We're not normal people. Normal people have 1, 2, 3 cards. Many here have ten times that many. Start searching old threads if you want to get into it. Caution: It is not for everyone. It requires discipline, a little daring and significant attention to detail.

I agree about not having a ton of cards. I wasn't trying to make money per se, but I did get a bunch of cards for my wife and I for every different thing we spent on. After about 6 months I sock drawered most of them. We now do the Barclaycard Arrival for everything except we us our Amex Blue Cash for gas, groceries, and Costco. I was playing the categories game with more cards but it was more stress than it is worth. And it was up to me to keep my wife educated and that was a pain too. Although I hate to admit it, knowing you can get 5% back for a certain category does influence where you spend money. My wife and I are happy with 2.2% back on everything. We travel a lot so it works well for us.

I'm a big fan of a thin wallet, literally. I highly recommend Allett if anybody here wants a quality durable thin wallet. They also don't use material between your cards which makes them thinner. You can see what they have here: http://www.all-ett.com/ I play this game at parties when I see somebody with a huge, back-threatening, George Costanza exploding wallet. I tell the person to come sit down with me and we pour everything on to a table. It never fails, within 20 minutes we've taken out half the crap and their wallet is way thinner. If there is something you use once a month or less you can usually throw it out. The rewards cards, punch cards, business cards from that guy you met 3 years ago that does that thing, receipts from your Italian vacation 5 years ago, etc. I've seen so much crap, just ditch it!  It's a wallet, not a filing cabinet. And get those family photos on the cloud and your phone, they'll be there when you need them

My wallet: A few credit cards, a couple insurance cards, Costco card, drivers license, a small amount of cash, BOOM! Under a half inch with this bad boy

Guess you don't carry a condom anymore?

rated:
Hey folks. I'm working on ways to get as many United miles as possible. I already have the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer personal cards. I was hoping to pick your brains on all other cards that can be used towards United travel. I might be doing a little United AOR in the near future. Please include business cards.

Things I know:
1. I just missed the Chase Ink 70,000 sign up bonus
2. I don't yet have Barclay Arrival and will likely pick that up.
3. There are Chase Mileage Plus Explorer business cards that I will be looking closely at.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rated:
catanpirate said:   Hey folks. I'm working on ways to get as many United miles as possible. I already have the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer personal cards. I was hoping to pick your brains on all other cards that can be used towards United travel. I might be doing a little United AOR in the near future. Please include business cards.

Things I know:
1. I just missed the Chase Ink 70,000 sign up bonus
2. I don't yet have Barclay Arrival and will likely pick that up.
3. There are Chase Mileage Plus Explorer business cards that I will be looking closely at.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There are reports that the Chase Ink Plus 70K offer you refer to is still available in-branch.  YMMV.  You can still get the Ink Bold with 50K sign up.  Rumor that they will discontinue the Bold next month.  Even if you can't get the Plus @ 70K, you might could get Plus + Bold for 50K each.

The Chase United business card is 50K.  Chase Sapphire Preferred is 45K, transferable to United.  Chase Freedom is generally just 10K, but may interest you.  Sometimes they have a larger temporary bonus for Freedom.

If all those don't get you enough, consider partner airlines whose miles can be used on United flights.  ANA, Aeroplan - Amex MR products as well as SPG can transfer there.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   

I'm a big fan of a thin wallet, literally. I highly recommend Allett if anybody here wants a quality durable thin wallet. They also don't use material between your cards which makes them thinner. You can see what they have here: http://www.all-ett.com/ I play this game at parties when I see somebody with a huge, back-threatening, George Costanza exploding wallet. I tell the person to come sit down with me and we pour everything on to a table. It never fails, within 20 minutes we've taken out half the crap and their wallet is way thinner. If there is something you use once a month or less you can usually throw it out. The rewards cards, punch cards, business cards from that guy you met 3 years ago that does that thing, receipts from your Italian vacation 5 years ago, etc. I've seen so much crap, just ditch it!  It's a wallet, not a filing cabinet. And get those family photos on the cloud and your phone, they'll be there when you need them

The FWF wallet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PMC8UW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_en...

rated:
Other than the Citi Dividend Card that gave 5% Cash Back on health care in the 1st quarter for New Year's, are there currently any other credit cards out there that give 5% Cash Back (or more than 2%)? I anticipate on lots of medical expenses coming up and I'd like to save some money with Cash Back cards. I'll be paying it in full every month - just trying to get some Cash Back from it.

rated:
lydiachang said:   Other than the Citi Dividend Card that gave 5% Cash Back on health care in the 1st quarter for New Year's, are there currently any other credit cards out there that give 5% Cash Back (or more than 2%)? I anticipate on lots of medical expenses coming up and I'd like to save some money with Cash Back cards. I'll be paying it in full every month - just trying to get some Cash Back from it.According to the 5% rotating category thread, Citi Dividend Q1 has not included "health care" category for the past 2 years, only drug stores and fitness clubs.

rated:
lydiachang said:   Other than the Citi Dividend Card that gave 5% Cash Back on health care in the 1st quarter for New Year's, are there currently any other credit cards out there that give 5% Cash Back (or more than 2%)? I anticipate on lots of medical expenses coming up and I'd like to save some money with Cash Back cards. I'll be paying it in full every month - just trying to get some Cash Back from it.
  Do you want actual healthcare expenses as in hospital bills? I don't think there are any alternatives for that except getting an Ink and buying a ton of prepaid debit cards for ~4% CashBack (or more, depending on how you redeem UR points). 
If you are just looking for drug stores, the old Amex Blue Cash is an alternative if you can run more than $6500 through it to get to the 5%. There are also some wells fargo cards that give 5% on groceries and drug stores for the first 6 months only. 

rated:
scripta said:   
lydiachang said:   Other than the Citi Dividend Card that gave 5% Cash Back on health care in the 1st quarter for New Year's, are there currently any other credit cards out there that give 5% Cash Back (or more than 2%)? I anticipate on lots of medical expenses coming up and I'd like to save some money with Cash Back cards. I'll be paying it in full every month - just trying to get some Cash Back from it.
According to the 5% rotating category thread, Citi Dividend Q1 has not included "health care" category for the past 2 years, only drug stores and fitness clubs.

Must have gotten outdated information then. Thanks.

rated:
LearningFast said:   
  Do you want actual healthcare expenses as in hospital bills? I don't think there are any alternatives for that except getting an Ink and buying a ton of prepaid debit cards for ~4% CashBack (or more, depending on how you redeem UR points). 
If you are just looking for drug stores, the old Amex Blue Cash is an alternative if you can run more than $6500 through it to get to the 5%. There are also some wells fargo cards that give 5% on groceries and drug stores for the first 6 months only. 

Yes actual hospital/clinic bills. I know it's a long shot but thought I would ask.

rated:
Get a card with a bonus like spend $5000 get 50000 points which amounts to 10% rebate.

rated:
There should be a balance transfer category.

rated:
sonaliweblance said:   There should be a balance transfer category.
  http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/902958/

rated:
SyZpuzzler said:   
My goal with the card is mainly just to use it for every day purchases with the goal of paying it off in full at the end of the month - the biggest bonus I always see is with gas ... but gas is always $.10 more expensive if you use a credit card versus a debit, so I never end up using a credit card anyways...

I realize I'm late to the party here, but since nobody else has mentioned it... with a card that gives 5% CashBack on gas, you're better off paying the $.10 extra for credit card, at least until gas is <$2/gallon.  Around me, gas is running $3/gal.  So at 5% CashBack, I'm making $.15/gal using my credit card instead of cash/debit, so net I'm getting gas at 5 cents less by using my credit card.  Now if and when I can get gas for <$2, I'll be happy to pay cash (and just in general, happy).  FWIW, there isn't a gas station in my typical travel area that charges extra for credit (or gives a discount for cash).  I have run across one occasionally when travelling far from home, but I follow the same rule: if the cash price isn't 5% less than the credit price,  I'll either use credit, or just use the gas station across the street that doesn't surcharge for credit but charges a price just a couple of cents above the "cash" price at the surcharging station.

Chris.

rated:
I concur, but in my area (CT/NY )most have a higher price for CC. But some stations.. Valero, Gulf and independents do not, and their prices are a few cents lower then the major companies. here gas is nor 3.25/gallon

rated:
Does anyone have any recent activity with the Wells Fargo 5% Cash Back on grocery stores, etc?

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/cash-back/

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1116117118119 120
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014