• filter:
  • 1107108109110 111
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Shaudius said:   
structurek said:   Are there any rewards credit cards that you can pay your loans with? For example I have monthly payment on an auto loan I would like to pay off with my credit card (which I pay the full balance of every month). How about a credit card you can use to pay your mortgage? (I currently have chase freedom and salliemae rewards)

I did some searching and it seems that most CC's will charge this as a "cash advance" which offers no rewards points, has a fee, and also starts accruing interest immediately. Does it matter who my loan is with?

Buy a vanilla reload/Visa/Mastercard Gift Card with your credit card, load a bluebird with it, pay with billpay.

Buy a reloadit/Visa/Mastercard Gift Card/Load a Visa Buxx(some versions code some cards as cash advance though) with your Credit Card, use Evolve Billpay to billpay.

There are other ways but those are two.

Do YOU actually do this? How difficult is it? Reading on here a lot of people think this is nearly impossible anymore without paying some sort of fee along the way.

Anybody confirm any of this?

rated:
My mortgage lender, HOA, and County (taxes) take credit card payments, but they all tack on a fee for credit card payments that pretty much cancels out any benefit of Cash Back.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   
Shaudius said:   
structurek said:   Are there any rewards credit cards that you can pay your loans with? For example I have monthly payment on an auto loan I would like to pay off with my credit card (which I pay the full balance of every month). How about a credit card you can use to pay your mortgage? (I currently have chase freedom and salliemae rewards)

I did some searching and it seems that most CC's will charge this as a "cash advance" which offers no rewards points, has a fee, and also starts accruing interest immediately. Does it matter who my loan is with?

Buy a vanilla reload/Visa/Mastercard Gift Card with your credit card, load a bluebird with it, pay with billpay.

Buy a reloadit/Visa/Mastercard Gift Card/Load a Visa Buxx(some versions code some cards as cash advance though) with your Credit Card, use Evolve Billpay to billpay.

Do YOU actually do this? How difficult is it? Reading on here a lot of people think this is nearly impossible anymore without paying some sort of fee along the way.

I do the latter, a ton of people do the former.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   
Shaudius said:   

Of course you pay fees.  Basically, you're buying points for whatever your cost is.  Its up to you to determine if its worth it.

rated:
I do the former, but wish I could do the latter.  I have not yet found a place that will allow me to purchase Reloadits on a CC.

rated:
the simplest way is to use a rewards CC and buy a Visa prepaid card at whatever place you can earn 3-5x rewards to 'cancel' out the fee. then use Evolve to billpay with newly acquired Visa. if you need more info than this, perhaps you should just pay your bills the 'normal' way.

rated:
chunkalunk said:   the simplest way is to use a rewards CC and buy a Visa prepaid card at whatever place you can earn 3-5x rewards to 'cancel' out the fee. then use Evolve to billpay with newly acquired Visa. if you need more info than this, perhaps you should just pay your bills the 'normal' way.

Yep, this is a great set up. I wish I could get into the "trip to WalMart routine", but I feel dirty even thinking about it.  I picture three rent-a-cops chasing me around the parking lot.  

rated:
urtpiz said:   
chunkalunk said:   the simplest way is to use a rewards CC and buy a Visa prepaid card at whatever place you can earn 3-5x rewards to 'cancel' out the fee. then use Evolve to billpay with newly acquired Visa. if you need more info than this, perhaps you should just pay your bills the 'normal' way.

Yep, this is a great set up. I wish I could get into the "trip to WalMart routine", but I feel dirty even thinking about it.  I picture three rent-a-cops chasing me around the parking lot.  

they will be wearing plain clothes, and you won't see them

rated:
So my son's Catholic school tuition is due in June. It is a little over $6k. I have $5k saved up and can pay the rest out by the due date. This year will be different in that the school will waiver credit card processing fees! I'm looking for avenues to use to reap rewards. I'm not sure if they will let me use 2 different cards. For example 2 cards with $3k spending requirements ect. I can split the payments June/Nov but that usually costs a fee because I pay a third party. Its always best to pay it lump some in the summer.

Currently have: Amex PRG, SPG, BC, BCP. Discover IT. Fidelity Amex, Barclay Priceline (2 points). PenFed 5-3-1. USAA WR MC. Citi AA EX. I've got $4500 left on BCP @ 6%. I've been averaging $4k per month on PRG (main spender); by June I will have $20k on PRG so I will hit $30k Annual and get that MR Bonus by default. I will mostly likely switch cards off of PRG after and switch to a 2 points card. Not sure.

I have an Amex Biz Platinum RSVP offer for 50k MR points for $5k spending.

Any suggestions?

rated:
Sign up for something like the Chase Sapphire. Its got a 40000 bonus point offer. Or if that Citi 100,000 mile offer is still going, it has a $10k spending requirement. That will get you over half way there...

rated:
Its always nice to have such useful information over discussion boards where you get all the necessary info and also you can share and contribute your part as well

rated:
I am highly interested in the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express, but I do not have any prior financial relationship with Fidelity Investment. What is the recommendation by everyone here when it comes to applying for their card and setting up an account for the 2% Cash Back to go into? Would it be best to set up a new Roth IRA (I have no real investments such as IRA, 401K, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

rated:
RadicalDreamer said:   I am highly interested in the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express, but I do not have any prior financial relationship with Fidelity Investment. What is the recommendation by everyone here when it comes to applying for their card and setting up an account for the 2% Cash Back to go into? Would it be best to set up a new Roth IRA (I have no real investments such as IRA, 401K, etc.)?

I think it is best to set a "Cash Account". It is just a savings/checking account. I set it up when I applied the card. I don't remember why exactly, but I also have a brokerage account with Fidelity. Maybe you can't just have a Cash Account (as Fidelity wants you to invest with them). Regardless, I have set it up so as to get my 2% deposited to my Cash Account. I then move money out via ACH to my bank, and then invest on my OptionsHouse accounts (cheaper commissions than Fidelity).

rated:
noelandres said:   
RadicalDreamer said:   I am highly interested in the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express, but I do not have any prior financial relationship with Fidelity Investment. What is the recommendation by everyone here when it comes to applying for their card and setting up an account for the 2% Cash Back to go into? Would it be best to set up a new Roth IRA (I have no real investments such as IRA, 401K, etc.)?

I think it is best to set a "Cash Account". It is just a savings/checking account. I set it up when I applied the card. I don't remember why exactly, but I also have a brokerage account with Fidelity. Maybe you can't just have a Cash Account (as Fidelity wants you to invest with them). Regardless, I have set it up so as to get my 2% deposited to my Cash Account. I then move money out via ACH to my bank, and then invest on my OptionsHouse accounts (cheaper commissions than Fidelity).

you don't need any sort of account. If you wait until you have enough points, you can redeem for full 2%.
If you want to be able to regularly redeem @ 2% regardless of the points you have, you do need some sort of FIdo account. I only have a mysmart cash account. you can ACH out, or you can get a debit card linked to it for free and get $$ @ ATM.

rated:
I recently saw a banner on Amazon's website that is currently offering a $75 Amazon Gift Card as an introductory offer on the Discover It Credit Card. Is this actually a good signup bonus for that particular credit card? I currently do not have any Discover cards at all.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed thoughts on the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express card earlier in the discussion. You guys are awesome.

rated:
RadicalDreamer said:   I recently saw a banner on Amazon's website that is currently offering a $75 Amazon Gift Card as an introductory offer on the Discover It Credit Card. Is this actually a good signup bonus for that particular credit card? I currently do not have any Discover cards at all.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed thoughts on the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express card earlier in the discussion. You guys are awesome.

I'd more than twice rather get $150 cash than $75 Amazon gift card:

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?pag...

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
RadicalDreamer said:   I recently saw a banner on Amazon's website that is currently offering a $75 Amazon Gift Card as an introductory offer on the Discover It Credit Card. Is this actually a good signup bonus for that particular credit card? I currently do not have any Discover cards at all.

I'd more than twice rather get $150 cash than $75 Amazon gift card:

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?pageFileId=listingsite&sc=KCV6

Chris.

Thank you!  I totally agree with you, I just had no idea what kinds of offers this credit card typically offered.  $150 in Cash Back for $750 Spent in 3 months seems very reasonable. 

rated:
The Discover IT card also has an 18 month 0% balance transfer offer with 3% fee.

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?gcl...

rated:
So soliciting for advice....

Have home improvement projects that are coming up.  Two payments each about $12,000.  Company take credit card with no additional processing fee so no loss to use CC vs personal check.

Current portfolio of cards is AMEX Blue cash, AMEX blue cash preferred, and Citi Thankyou World.  Also have BoA accounts and debit/CCs. 

I'd like to get rid of Citi Thankyou World and get another card with better? benefits.  Airline miles would be nice, as we routinely take a trip to hawaii for a family of 4 each year, and also a trip to Germany/France for family of 4 each year as well.  Cash Back would be fine too (why we're with the Blue cash thing)

Let the floodgate of suggestions begin

rated:
Does anyone recommend getting a PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card ... the 5x per $ spent on airfare. If redeemed for airfare, is 1 point=1cent or is it devalued like it is for other redemption options?

rated:
ssun1976 said:   So soliciting for advice....

Have home improvement projects that are coming up.  Two payments each about $12,000.  Company take credit card with no additional processing fee so no loss to use CC vs personal check.

Current portfolio of cards is AMEX Blue cash, AMEX blue cash preferred, and Citi Thankyou World.  Also have BoA accounts and debit/CCs. 

I'd like to get rid of Citi Thankyou World and get another card with better? benefits.  Airline miles would be nice, as we routinely take a trip to hawaii for a family of 4 each year, and also a trip to Germany/France for family of 4 each year as well.  Cash Back would be fine too (why we're with the Blue cash thing)

For starters, you could convert your Citi card to a Citi Dividend card, giving you 5% Cash Back for up to $6000 in spending at Home Depot until the end of June.  
Secondly, if your AMEX Blue Cash is the OLD Blue cash (5% after $6500 spent), you would have to do the math on that one to see if it is best. 
Discover IT and Chase Freedom currently have 5% Cash Back for home improvement until the end of June, but you are limited to $1500 spending for each card.  
My $0.02

rated:
GoldDust said:   Does anyone recommend getting a PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card ... the 5x per $ spent on airfare. If redeemed for airfare, is 1 point=1cent or is it devalued like it is for other redemption options?
  Devalued. .85 cpp, so ~30,000 points needed to $250 airfare.
5x = 4.25% on airfare.
I still have the card, but my use of it is limited. So long as I have the AMEX PRG, I use it for my airfare purchases (it gets 3x on airfare).

rated:
ssun1976 said:   So soliciting for advice....

Top suggestion: BarclayCard World Arrival MasterCard  $400 up front, 2% CashBack on everything (when redeemed on travel charges).

Next: Chase Sapphire Preferred  $400 cash up front, more if you redeem for travel.

Also: USBank Travel Rewards Card.  20,000 points up front, worth up to $400 in airfare.  Earn 3x points on charitable contributions, 2x points on airfare, gas or groceries and cell phone expenses, 1x points on everything else.

Both the Sapphire and the USBank occasionally run specials for higher initial bonuses.  Next USBank special will probably be late summer 2016.  Sapphire just ended one ($500).

Depending on what airline you'd likely take to Hawaii, pick up an airline card.  American Airlines?  United?  Log into your frequent flyer account online and see what offers they're extending you.  I believe the typical offer for each is 30k miles, see if you've got a targeted offer.  Or search online for specials; I'm not aware of any current general special offers.

For all of these, of course, be sure to double-dip by having your significant other apply as well.

I like urtpiz's suggestion of converting the Citi card to the Dividend.  But even if that specific conversion doesn't help you, why on earth would you ever "get rid of" a card? 

Chris.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1107108109110 111
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014