• filter:
  • 1111112113114 115
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
fatwalletmichigan said:   I put about $200-$250k/yr in reimbursable expense per year on my personal cards. Trying to maximize this benefit.
So far I have been using a Venture One card (now transitioning to a Barclays Arrival Elite card) to get statement credits against travel expenses.

I am wondering if it makes sense to split spending onto two (three?) cards. I like the looks of the Chase Ultimate Rewards to transfer points 1:1 to various programs. My girlfriend has status on Delta, so that could complement that. Do any Chase cards give better than a 1% redemption rate for general expenses?

If I do a third card, perhaps an AA Mastercard, but not sure if it makes sense to dilute it that much.

First that's a lot of spending.

Good cards for you might be:

1) Fidelity Amex (issued by FIA / Bank of America) - 2% Cash Back
2) Starwood Amex - 1pt/$, but Starwood has excellent redemption options and the points are transferrable to airlines

Only Amex card will transfer to Delta (Starwood via SPG, Membership Rewards cards).

rated:
Chase Sapphire gives better than 1%.

I have the Fidelity Amex and make about $500 a month off the rewards. I was able to get my cl up to $45k from $7k in about 18 months. Having good credit and complaining about having to pay off the card multiple times a month helped me there. Very simple and easy card, and no fees! I highly recommend it.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Chase Sapphire gives better than 1%.

I have the Fidelity Amex and make about $500 a month off the rewards. I was able to get my cl up to $45k from $7k in about 18 months. Having good credit and complaining about having to pay off the card multiple times a month helped me there. Very simple and easy card, and no fees! I highly recommend it.

$25K a month spending on one card? Good job.  

rated:
urtpiz said:   
Matrim33 said:   Chase Sapphire gives better than 1%.

$25K a month spending on one card? Good job.  

Thanks. I own a business and I spend a ton of money at Costco. Also get an extra 1% with the executive membership, but they cap that reward to $750 a year If you're spending a lot at Costco, the Fido Amex is the only way to go.

I do all of my other business and personal spending on 2 different Barclaycard Arrival cards. That finances a couple trips for my wife and I to HI every year B-)  If you own a business try to pay as many bills as possible on a rewards card. I pay everything with my card other than rent. Utilities, phone, internet, supplies, etc. Postage/UPS churns out a lot of rewards for me. I even changed box suppliers after mine started adding a fee to use a cc   It is okay to use a personal credit card (non-business card) for paying business expenses as long as you use it solely for business. I couldn't find any business cards that came close to these two as far as rewards are concerned.

rated:
Any ideas for cards with great sign up bonuses but huge spend requirements? Have to pay $10k in grad tuition in Sept but can use a cc with no fee. So mad that AA exec is dead!

rated:
unimeg said:   Any ideas for cards with great sign up bonuses but huge spend requirements? Have to pay $10k in grad tuition in Sept but can use a cc with no fee. So mad that AA exec is dead!
  50k points is the highest right now.
Barclay Arrival (40k), Chase Ink Bold/Plus (50k) would get you to 8k in spending.

rated:
unimeg said:   Any ideas for cards with great sign up bonuses but huge spend requirements? Have to pay $10k in grad tuition in Sept but can use a cc with no fee. So mad that AA exec is dead!

Throw in Chase Sapphire Preferred for another 40k and $3K spend if you want to do a combo.  

It might be prudent to slow play the application and payment a little longer, as cc promotions pop up with no warning.  I think the Barclay and Chase Ink have shown some longevity, so I don't think they are going away soon, but you could see a bump up in the next month on another card.  

rated:
I'm just going to keep waiting for now...I've already had Sapphire Preferred & so has my husband & I've also already done Barclay Arrival (and NFL). Also have done Capital One Venture, AAdvantage Exec., Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Wells Fargo World Propel, US Bank Flex Perks, and Amex Blue Cash Everyday. Husband has already done Chase Freedom & Amex Blue Cash Everyday as well, and we're looking at a mortgage on his credit so can't do anymore in his name right now. Thanks for trying guys, if anyone thinks of any I'm missing let me know.

rated:
Amex biz gold x2. Apply by the end of the month
https://www262.americanexpress.com/business-card-application/bus...

rated:
I probably spend close to $30k a year on my cards. I currently have a Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% cash) and freedom/citi dividend/discover for rotating caterogies. Is it worth it for me to get another card? I'm interested in air miles, but I don't think I would come out ahead, especially with annual fees.

rated:
For the sake of a hard pull or two, I'd say yes! For general use spending, I like the FIA cards (Amex is 2% everything, Visa is 1.5% for the first $15K per year, then 2% after that (assuming you deposit their points into a Fidelity account).

Do you want miles (or points) or do you want cash? To answer, figure out how you would value miles (or points). FT is your friend there... Starwood (Amex Starwood Preferred Guest) are popular for some, Chase Sapphire Preferred are popular also. Some like Barclays Arrival. For me, give me the cash and I'll choose what to do with it. I can't retire on miles, but I can on Cash Back.

rated:
InFlamed said:   I probably spend close to $30k a year on my cards. I currently have a Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% cash) and freedom/citi dividend/discover for rotating caterogies. Is it worth it for me to get another card? I'm interested in air miles, but I don't think I would come out ahead, especially with annual fees.

If most of your spending is on the cap one card, then the difference would be somewhere around $100 year if you used the Fidelity Amex instead. Up to you to decide if that is worth it.  

rated:
Anybody ever use the BCC Arrival for a Homeaway vacation rental? I read one place that says it will count as travel, but I was wondering if anybody can confirm this.

rated:
urtpiz said:   
InFlamed said:   I probably spend close to $30k a year on my cards. I currently have a Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% cash) and freedom/citi dividend/discover for rotating caterogies. Is it worth it for me to get another card? I'm interested in air miles, but I don't think I would come out ahead, especially with annual fees.

If most of your spending is on the cap one card, then the difference would be somewhere around $100 year if you used the Fidelity Amex instead. Up to you to decide if that is worth it.  

It definitely sounds like a good deal. I'm just wondering if I should get the Barclay arrival card because that is a MasterCard that will be accepted at more places than American Express. The annual fee on the BCC is rough, but the initial bonus of $400 credit, offsets years of annual fees.

rated:
InFlamed said:   
urtpiz said:   

It definitely sounds like a good deal. I'm just wondering if I should get the Barclay arrival card because that is a MasterCard that will be accepted at more places than American Express. The annual fee on the BCC is rough, but the initial bonus of $400 credit, offsets years of annual fees.

Get both.  Do the Arrival card, collect your $400, then before the first year is up, get the Fido and you can cancel the Arrival before its A/F kicks in.  I think the Fido is a better card for the long haul.  For one, you're getting cold hard cash; you don't have to redeem your points for travel (else that $400 turns into $200).  And while it's true that there are places that don't accept AmEx, I can guarantee that in the one place I shop that takes AmEx but not M/C, namely CostCo, I'll spend several times more $ than I will in all of the places that don't accept AmEx.  So it's still a win in my book.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
InFlamed said:   
urtpiz said:   

Get both.  Do the Arrival card, collect your $400, then before the first year is up, get the Fido and you can cancel the Arrival before its A/F kicks in.  I think the Fido is a better card for the long haul.  For one, you're getting cold hard cash; you don't have to redeem your points for travel (else that $400 turns into $200).  And while it's true that there are places that don't accept AmEx, I can guarantee that in the one place I shop that takes AmEx but not M/C, namely CostCo, I'll spend several times more $ than I will in all of the places that don't accept AmEx.  So it's still a win in my book.

Chris.

I use AMEX quite a lot, and I can probably count the number of times this year that AMEX wasn't accepted on my thumbs.  

rated:
I appreciate the thread with list of cards with benefits all at one place

rated:
My Chase Sapphire Preferred card is about to hit one year and I want to avoid the annual fee.  I'm thinking about cancelling it since I won't be using it and signing up again in the future when I start travelling.   How long do I have to wait until I'm considered a "new customer" again, as I'm curious if I would qualify for any sign up bonuses in the future.  If I can't qualify, then I may just convert to a regular Sapphire and keep it around.

rated:
alphaivt said:   My Chase Sapphire Preferred card is about to hit one year and I want to avoid the annual fee.  I'm thinking about cancelling it since I won't be using it and signing up again in the future when I start travelling.   How long do I have to wait until I'm considered a "new customer" again, as I'm curious if I would qualify for any sign up bonuses in the future.  If I can't qualify, then I may just convert to a regular Sapphire and keep it around.

Its YMMV.  Some people have said after two years they were able to apply for the same card again with Chase and get the bonus.  But it clearly states that you only get the bonus once, no matter what the timeframe.  So dont be suprized if you get denied in the future.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
InFlamed said:   
urtpiz said:   

Chris.

I'm not concerned about getting cash. As long as my travel expenses stay higher than the amount of rewards I earn (which I fully intend), then I actually come out ahead with Barclays. I really do hate canceling cards, and the annual fee makes it rough in the long term. I will likely end up doing both though.

rated:
alphaivt said:   My Chase Sapphire Preferred card is about to hit one year and I want to avoid the annual fee.  I'm thinking about cancelling it since I won't be using it and signing up again in the future when I start travelling.   How long do I have to wait until I'm considered a "new customer" again, as I'm curious if I would qualify for any sign up bonuses in the future.  If I can't qualify, then I may just convert to a regular Sapphire and keep it around.

If you have another chase card that you do use (e.g. Freedom) , you can consolidate so that you have a higher limit on the card you actually use rather than have the limits spread out with a sock-drawered sapphire...

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   

If you have another chase card that you do use (e.g. Freedom) , you can consolidate so that you have a higher limit on the card you actually use rather than have the limits spread out with a sock-drawered sapphire...

Yeah, but then you can't use this:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/693038/

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Isn't the play here to downgrade to a Chase Sapphire (not preferred), which has no annual fee OR to try to convert the card into a Chase Freedom? I would prefer the 2nd option, but I'm not sure if it really is an option. Has anyone converted a CSP to a Freedom? I would like to do this when my annual fee is due in some months.

rated:
noelandres said:   
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Isn't the play here to downgrade to a Chase Sapphire (not preferred), which has no annual fee OR to try to convert the card into a Chase Freedom? I would prefer the 2nd option, but I'm not sure if it really is an option. Has anyone converted a CSP to a Freedom? I would like to do this when my annual fee is due in some months.

I went from CSP to Sapphire. They wouldn't let me convert tonFreedom, but I have tried to convert from Sapphire to Freedom.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
noelandres said:   
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

I went from CSP to Sapphire. They wouldn't let me convert tonFreedom, but I have tried to convert from Sapphire to Freedom.

Did you meant "haven't"? If you have, what did they tell you? No Sapphire to Freedom? 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1111112113114 115
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014