• filter:
  • 1121122123124 125
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
time to time (T2T).
Slate card is primarily for balance transfers, I don't know anyone that uses it for anything else (and I don't really use any BT cards for anything once the promo % is done).
The Slate card does not have a rewards program

rated:
Time to time.

FWIW, I have not seen any Cash Back offers from Slate, but then I have't been looking either. If I wasn't already full up with Chase, I'd get a Slate for the 0% offer and then product change after the term is up to something with Cash Back or points or use the CL as a boost to another Chase card.

ETA:  Oops.  Batman beat me to the punch. 

rated:
Np, thanks guys! So the one thing you added was about doing a product change. I didn't know you could do that. I tried to do a product change on one of my Cap One cards and they said they couldn't do it unless I had an invite for one, or they were running a product change promo..... ????

rated:
Chase is pretty open to it. It is certainly not a sure thing, but I've heard of many that have moved from Slate to Freedom or one of the hotel cards. You will need to have good credit and decent income to move up to Sapphire Preferred.

You may or may not want to do a PC now... you might be better off applying for a new card and getting the associated bonus. Some will apply for the Sapphire Preferred, get a sign on bonus, use it for a year and then product change down to a no fee card for instance.

You can have lots of Chase cards... I've got 4 or 5 plus a business one. I think others here have more.

As for CapOne, IDK. I've had 2 for a long time and never tried doing much of anything fancy with them.

rated:
Product change I believe for all companies you must have had the original card for at least a year.

rated:
bc3000 said:   Product change I believe for all companies you must have had the original card for at least a year.
I have regularly pc'ed cards before my first year annual fee hits (less than a year)

Some companies allow pc. Others do not

rated:
imbatman said:   
bc3000 said:   Product change I believe for all companies you must have had the original card for at least a year.
I have regularly pc'ed cards before my first year annual fee hits (less than a year)

It's a function of the CARD Act and the two prodct's fees, interest rate, etc. the credit card companies can't increase fees or interest rates in the first year under the CARD Act.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
imbatman said:   

It's a function of the CARD Act and the two prodct's fees, interest rate, etc. the credit card companies can't increase fees or interest rates in the first year under the CARD Act.

Typically, when I PC, I try to PC to a card with a decrease in fees (a la annual fee to no annual fee card), with the same or lower interest rate, which is permitted by CARD Act.

rated:
imbatman said:   
stanolshefski said:   
imbatman said:   

Typically, when I PC, I try to PC to a card with a decrease in fees (a la annual fee to no annual fee card), with the same or lower interest rate, which is permitted by CARD Act.

Guys, we have to understand that one thing is what the CARD Act says. Another is how FIs interpret the CARD Act. I was denied a PC from a annual fee card to a no annual fee card because the card was newer than 1 year. The FI was Citibank. That doesn't mean that all FI will do the same, but that is something to be aware when it comes to PC. 

Note: Citi did say that I could try 3 months later to see if the PC was possible (although my card would still be < 1 year 3 months later!?). I didn't call back, so I can't tell if the PC would have been approved then.

rated:
noelandres said:   
imbatman said:   
stanolshefski said:   
imbatman said:   

Guys, we have to understand that one thing is what the CARD Act says. Another is how FIs interpret the CARD Act. I was denied a PC from a annual fee card to a no annual fee card because the card was newer than 1 year. The FI was Citibank. That doesn't mean that all FI will do the same, but that is something to be aware when it comes to PC. 

Note: Citi did say that I could try 3 months later to see if the PC was possible (although my card would still be < 1 year 3 months later!?). I didn't call back, so I can't tell if the PC would have been approved then.

Citi has denied all PCs for me before the first anniversary.

rated:
really? I regularly downgrage the premier (AF) to preferred (no AF).

rated:
imbatman said:   really? I regularly downgrage the premier (AF) to preferred (no AF).
I was trying to go from Premier to Forward in 2013. As best as I could tell, they had the same APR and the annual fee was lower.

rated:
Around that time, they were not permitting new Forward cards. I tried doing the same thing, but was able to PC to Preferred or Dividend

rated:
imbatman said:   Around that time, they were not permitting new Forward cards. I tried doing the same thing, but was able to PC to Preferred or Dividend
  They allowed PC to Forward, but only after the exact 1 year mark.

rated:
imbatman said:   Around that time, they were not permitting new Forward cards. I tried doing the same thing, but was able to PC to Preferred or Dividend

What state are you in batman? Maybe that has to do with it. I'm in PR, and I wasn't able to PC before the 1 year mark. 

The funny thing is that my card was older than 1 year. What happened was that the card had an annual fee, and I tried to get it waived (or do a PC if that didn't work). However, I messed up when I called, and ended up closing the card by accident. I never got a CSR on the line. I called back to get the card opened again, and they it was no problem, and it should take a few days. A few days later, after I got the card opened again, I tried to PC and they said the card had to be > 1 year. I explained that it was, but they wouldn't budge. They assigned the date it was reopened as the date of "birth" of the card! Even though they report the correct date on to the CRAs.

Moral of the story: you have to be EXTRA careful when trying to get an annual fee waived, or something else. It seems Citi has automated the process of closing a credit card. If you select that you want to close your credit card, you might not get a CSR trying to keep you as a client. Also, Citicards is messed up on so many levels. This is just another example of why. At least they improved the UI of the website.

rated:
GA.

rated:
Argyll said:   
minggang said:   I just got my new NBA Amex (no annual fee). I pay my annual auto and home insurance every June, so 5% Cash Back. I am also going to prepay some utility bills for about half year. Do the same thing again next year NBA all-star weekend. I may also stock some Costco gift card which is never on sale.
What else should I buy during these two weeks (NBA Finals)?

Edit: Don't forget $100 points with $500 purchase

It may help to pay some other things ahead: health insurance, utilities, phone, internet, cable,  any recurring bill that will allow you to pay ahead.   They might even give you a discount for paying in advance -- and you don't have to pay up the credit card right away because you get 0% purchase APR for six months.

You could stock up on non-perishable groceries, too.   

I end up getting a Rolex Black Sub, saved me extra $232.35 then my regular Fidelity Amex

rated:
$50 Credit w/ first purchase on a mysavingsdirect credit card. Parking some cash there short term at 1.25% as well. Not the worst interest rate for short term parking.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1121122123124 125
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015