• filter:
  • 1127128129130 131
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Not true. Chase Sapphire telephone representatives are different than Chase Freedom representatives for instance which was also Visa Signature. Chase Freedom has telephone prompts while Sapphire goes right through to a representative each time. I had Freedom which they cancelled for non usage. I used my Sapphire which is a superior product.

With that being said I would assume AARP gets regular Chase service levels, not Sapphire level. I am not applying for new cards but it sounds like a very good card for rewards if you are willijg to sacrifice customer service.

rated:
deeder said:   AARP isn't my thing unless I can eliminate the AARP logo from the card. Sapphire still has higher customer service levels.
  I could care less what's on the card. Give me a big bonus or an awesome rewards structure and I'm in.

rated:
deeder said:   Not true. Chase Sapphire telephone representatives are different than Chase Freedom representatives for instance which was also Visa Signature. Chase Freedom has telephone prompts while Sapphire goes right through to a representative each time. I had Freedom which they cancelled for non usage. I used my Sapphire which is a superior product.

With that being said I would assume AARP gets regular Chase service levels, not Sapphire level. I am not applying for new cards but it sounds like a very good card for rewards if you are willijg to sacrifice customer service.

You got me there, I have to enter the last four of my card number, my zip code, and press 0 to get to a person (though I almost never have to hold after that).

Avoiding awful customer service (*ahem*Citi*ahem*... at least we agree on that ) is the number one priority for me when choosing cards, rewards are second, then warranty extension, damage protection, CDW, etc.. The difference between really good customer service (Amex, most Chase cards) and fantastic customer service (Discover, Chase Sapphire (apparently)) is almost a non-factor for me.

I'm almost embarrassed at how long this conversation has dragged on for, but I'm glad you're happy with your cards.

rated:
I do agree with you. Sapphire has more perks and benefits and better service while AARP has better rewards and I prefer Chase to Citi. Though I will say TDBank has treated me quite well for a promotional but doesn't seem to have anything going forward unless they up their product. As of now Chase Sapphire, and Barclays Arrival are my cards of choice.

rated:
is the AARP card the 3% on restaurants and gas rewards? or is there another one where it's 3% on everything? If it's just on gas/restos, what's the big deal? the BofA cash rewards beats it for groceries and and citi forward/citi prestige both beat them on restos and CSP is equal, but i find the chase UR points more valuable.

rated:
Hello,

My mother recently got her Green card and she is working part time for the last 3 months. She wants to build her credit history. She does not have a credit card in US prior to this. Has a checking and savings account at the local bank. Applied for a visa card through the bank and was denied. They wanted 1 yr history of employment.
What would be the best card for her to apply. I don't care about the rewards.

Thanks a lot

rated:
kanchi647 said:   Hello,

My mother recently got her Green card and she is working part time for the last 3 months. She wants to build her credit history. She does not have a credit card in US prior to this. Has a checking and savings account at the local bank. Applied for a visa card through the bank and was denied. They wanted 1 yr history of employment.
What would be the best card for her to apply. I don't care about the rewards.

Thanks a lot

A secured card is an option. Basically, she'd give the bank some money as collateral, that amount would become her credit limit. After 6-12 months, she could ask for the card to be converted to a regular, unsecured card and get the collateral back. It's not a very good deal for consumers, but it is a reliable way for someone in your mom's position to establish credit.

rated:
Thanks for the advice.
She currently has an account in Leather Stocking bank. Which banks do a secured credit card. 

rated:
kanchi647 said:   Thanks for the advice.
She currently has an account in Leather Stocking bank. Which banks do a secured credit card. 

https://www.creditkarma.com/shop/creditcards/secured_cards

rated:
kanchi647 said:   Thanks for the advice.

discover has secured card with rewards and no fee.
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/secured/

rated:
Secured credit without paying interest for holding funds is rediculous. Apply for a store credit card or an easy regular to get credit card.

rated:
I am not sure she will be able to get store credit cards or easy to get credit cards (she got denied of the credit union visa card). Do store credit cards build credit history as fast as regular credit cards. Please suggest if you know of any that give a card without checking credit history. She does not have any credit history as she recently got her SSN and green card. 
Also, having multiple cards build credit history quicker?
Thanks again

rated:
A friend of mine got a Chase Freedom card with less than 6 months employment history and low income. And I would verify if the secured card can be converted once some credit history is established. Not all do.

rated:
3c3 said:   
deeder said:   I am not old enough to be an AARP member nor do I want the AARP card .....

AARP membership is NOT a requirement to get the AARP card.

Is there an age limit for the card, I'm 30 could I snag one of these cards?

rated:
parkdanil said:   
3c3 said:   
deeder said:   I am not old enough to be an AARP member nor do I want the AARP card .....

No

rated:
Decades ago when I'd just graduated from college I was turned down for credit cards.
I had a Dreyfus Money Market fund with about 4k in it and received an offer for a gold mastercard
I hadn't found a job yet.  Unemployed was not given as an option so I checked off "retired".
Received the gold mastercard and subsequently mailings from AARP.

I presume they would disqualify based on age before they do a hard pull so is there a reason not to try?

rated:
I wouldn't want to go on a date and pay with an AARP card. Which is why I have a Chase Sapphire and American Express amongst other cards. For those who want the AARP card feel free to try for it.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
parkdanil said:   
3c3 said:   

No

That is, no age limit, yes you can get the card. In fact, there's no age requirement to join AARP if you're so inclined.

rated:
I wouldn't want to go on a date and pay with an AARP card
~~~
What a great idea.  Sounds like a clever way to weed out the financially incompetent from the herd.  Make sure to pick her up in a beat up Crown Vic too.  And don't forget to use a coupon or two or three.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1127128129130 131
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016