• filter:
  • 1119120121122 123
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Oops, I saw it on a list of Visa's... Unless in another year a better card comes around Fido Visa will have to do. Will be $75 less a month but that's okay I guess.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Oops, I saw it on a list of Visa's... Unless in another year a better card comes around Fido Visa will have to do. Will be $75 less a month but that's okay I guess.
  75 a year. the 15k spending threshold is an annual thing, not a monthly thing.

rated:
LOL, well that's not a big deal at all. I'm missing a lot today... Monday..

rated:
Does anyone have experience with the Citi Diamond Preferred card? It caught my interest because it offers 0% balance transfer for 21 months. That's the longest time period I have seen... Bal transfer fee is the usual 3%.

rated:
Rotating categories and not being able to redeem unless amount is beyond 50.00 keep it in my drawer. I got it open just for a BT in the past and have not used other than to keep it open with a few dollars here and there. April thru June will use for 5% at Home Depot though.

rated:
I am shopping for credit card with following features, I have excellent credit score > 800 & always pay my balance in full every month.

Chip enabled (with PIN preferable)
No annual fee
Cash Back
No foreign transaction fee (preferable)

Please suggest.

rated:
bank of america travel rewards. It's points that can be redeemed 1:1 for cash.

rated:
Liveandletlive said:   I am shopping for credit card with following features, I have excellent credit score > 800 & always pay my balance in full every month.

Chip enabled (with PIN preferable)
No annual fee
Cash Back
No foreign transaction fee (preferable)

Please suggest.

Bank of America travel rewards - but CashBack is only  $0.6 per point and not 1:1
You get 1.5 points for every dollar spent, 1.65 if you have BOA checking account.

rated:
Thanks. Based on the description on their website it was not clear to me if I can use the redeem points to cash for purposes other than travel or not? So will they simply issue me a credit against the charges or do they need to be travel related charges.

rated:
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to upgrade cards? I have regular BofA platinum plus card with pretty much no rewards. Would I be able to upgrade that particular card to Bank of America travel rewards?

rated:
esco23 said:   This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to upgrade cards? I have regular BofA platinum plus card with pretty much no rewards. Would I be able to upgrade that particular card to Bank of America travel rewards?
Is it possible? Yes. Can you? I dunno, call them and ask if you can product change to a particular card.
DW did a PC a few years ago from travel rewards to cash rewards.

rated:
Just tried applying for the Sallie Mae Rewards Barclaycard for 5% gas, 5% groceries ($250 cap per month).  Credit score 817.  $100,000+ in Barclays account.  Not approved.

Called number posted by someone else, 888-742-3710, recording message: "thank you for calling sallie mae.  we are not accepting credit card applications at this time."  *disconnect* 

Any one else with this experience recently?

rated:
bostonisfun said:   Just tried applying for the Sallie Mae Rewards Barclaycard for 5% gas, 5% groceries ($250 cap per month).  Credit score 817.  $100,000+ in Barclays account.  Not approved.

Called number posted by someone else, 888-742-3710, recording message: "thank you for calling sallie mae.  we are not accepting credit card applications at this time."  *disconnect* 

Any one else with this experience recently?

Call Barclays not Sallie Mae Bank. Try 866-408-4064

rated:
esco23 said:   This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to upgrade cards? I have regular BofA platinum plus card with pretty much no rewards. Would I be able to upgrade that particular card to Bank of America travel rewards?
  Yes you can.

Call the number on the back of ur card.

rated:
I live in Israel, but my income comes from the US. I've done some research and here are my findings, I'd appreciate input.
I'm looking for two new cards (VISA or Mastercard, because AMEX isn't accepted in enough places)

For personal use, it looks like the CapitalOne Quicksilver 1.5% back would be the best for me, especially for all of my expenses Israel.
For business use, it looks like Citi's Double Cash Back card is the best with 2% back. I could easily spend $100,000 a year on this card (except for HomeDepot and Lowes purchases where we have a ~5% store card discount).
I have a Delta Gold Amex which I opened for the points. I'm going to close it soon due to the annual fee. I would like to have an Amex for certain "risky" purchases, because they have amazing charge back support (I got back over $1000 from an illegitimate plumber I hired and fired)

I don't have a car, so I don't need a gas card.
I have a Penfed travel rewards, so whenever I book a flight I use that card and get ~4% on Amazon.

I do travel a bit, 2-4 times a year from Israel to the US or Europe. I usually fly the cheapest airlines I can get and use the Penfed card. I would love to rack up points

Am I missing anything here? Is there a better way for me to "earn" more?

rated:
AMEX - get one of the everyday cards.

rated:
Wow, this is the holy grail for credit cards. I am new to churning, so this helps a ton. thanks!

rated:
I'm thinking about getting an American Express card from American Express (already have Fido AmEx). Aside from the Cash Back features, has anybody had experience with their Global Assist Hotline or Roadside Assistance Hotline? Is there anything particularly useful about an AmEx card that goes beyond Cash Back? In the long term, I'm trying to build up my total credit available to push my utilization down as low as possible for credit score enhancement purposes, but I'd like to choose credit lines that have added value, where it makes any difference.

rated:
I've used roadside assist linked to my AMEX PRG card. It's fine. Gets a free tow/gas/tire change every 6 months I think. All AMEX credit cards (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) have a fee associated with using the roadside assist. I wouldn't base your decision on which to apply for on global assit or roadside. The primary added value (for me) of AMEX cards is purchase protection/extended warranty benefits that are activated if you use the amex card for the purchase.

rated:
I guess my other thought is that I've got cards from Chase, Barclays, Bank of America, and some credit unions (Navy, Penfed, NASA, etc.), but none from Citi, Discover, or American Express (except the Fido card). I thought maybe it makes sense to go with AmEx next since they backdate their cards. I'm trying to do a new card every six months or so.

rated:
just get em all at once!

rated:
I have two good (about equal) offers from Citi. Is it recommended to apply for both at the same time?

rated:
imbatman said:   just get em all at once!
I've already signed up for about 15 credit cards over the past 2 years or so. It's brought my utilization down pretty low (around 3%) with all of the new credit available. It's also brought my inquiries, new accounts, and average age of accounts into somewhat less favorable ranges. It's not a big deal, but I've resolved to getting one new card every 6 months. There's no need to rush at this point.

rated:
I believe only platinum now gets roadside assistance without an extra charge (that's $100 of the $450 in value for me).  I believe that is how they saved part of the cost from withdrawing the foreign currency surcharge from other (gold) cards.  (This is in response to imbatman)

rated:
If you apply for 15 cards in one day, wouldn't that take less impact on your credit?

rated:
I'm using American express credit card. American express gives 6% US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% other purchases.

rated:
I wound up getting the AmEx Blue Cash Everyday. They gave me a pretty good credit line, not my highest but not too far off. I'll probably just use it enough to keep it active, and use it for any special offers that they have (like small business Saturdays).

rated:
A couple questions about business cards.

1) Does Amex and Chase count business cards toward the limit for the number of CCs that you can have for each?

2) Does Amex and Chase report cards in good standing on your personal credit report (I understand I'll get an inquiry, and any derogatories, but I'm worried about dropping AAoA)?

3) Does Amex and Chase care how much revenue the business has? My wife has a very small business that is profitable, but doesn't have a lot of revenue.

ETA It's a sole proprietorship.

rated:
Stan -- My personal info is about 6 years old now. I had 3 personal Amex cards and then got one business. I've heard you can do 4 personal Amex plus business card(s). I had 4 personal Chase cards and then got one business card. Keep in mind this was 2008 and the money was free flowing. This may have changed now.

Neither Amex nor Chase reported my business balances on my personal report. All of my business cards were personally guaranteed. I can't say for sure about AAoA, but if they aren't reported, I wouldn't think it would affect average age. OT: Discover Business reported on my personal CR.

My business was just starting out, so I didn't put down much for revenue, maybe $100K per year as an expectation? (Just guessing... it was 6 years ago). I got ~$10K CLs with both.

My business was an LLC.

rated:
Need some advice please on finding the best Visa/MC card. Here is my profile:

Credit score 760
2014 total spend on all cards: $100k
Currently have 7 cards, but 90% of that spend was on my Delta Amex Platinum
My backup card is Discover
I plan to cancel the other 5 cards - I don't use them due to very poor rewards

I really need a Visa card with either miles or CashBack reward (doesn't matter which one, just whichever has highest dollar return/value)
Not interested in gas/hotel, etc. cards... gotta be miles or CB only
Plan to spend about $12-15k per year on this new card, maybe a lot more if the rewards are better than my Delta Amex

rated:
Mulox said:   Need some advice please on finding the best Visa/MC card. Here is my profile:

Credit score 760

I really need a Visa card with either miles or CashBack reward (doesn't matter which one, just whichever has highest dollar return/value)
Plan to spend about $12-15k per year on this new card, maybe a lot more if the rewards are better than my Delta Amex

Look at the chase cards.  All of them are Visa's now.

rated:
Best overall CB Visa without categories or AF:

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/visa-signature-card

I wouldn't go canceling a bunch of cards, if you have AF cards call and try and convert them in to a no AF cards. Then sock draw them.

rated:
daw4888 said:   
Mulox said:   Need some advice please on finding the best Visa/MC card. Here is my profile:

Credit score 760

Look at the chase cards.  All of them are Visa's now.

Don't cancel cards unless you need to for approvals (i.e. Amex 4 personal credit card limit, issuer transferring the limit for approval, etc.).

rated:
Personally, I like the Chase Sapphire: the 50,000 instant bonus awards are very helpful at getting anywhere with it. Travel perks, too.

If you're trying to establish credit, go with the Capital One Secured card.

If you're a business, I would highly recommend the Virtual Credit Card route with CSI GlobalVCard. It's rather ingenious because it generates a new MasterCard credit card number for each transaction and once you made the transaction, it's void. So if you buy something somewhere and they get hacked and your number is stolen, it won't make a difference. It's "virtual" because it works on your smartphone as an app. Also has a ton of control features for how others in your business use it.

If you're a fleet operator, get the https://www.global-fleet.com or the https://www.csifleetfuelcard.com since they give you total control over your fleet's expenses (e.g. restricting what the card to only gas and food).

rated:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses and all good info!

I don't need to establish credit, and I am not a business (although I do charge about 30% for work on my personal Amex and expense it).
My Delta Amex is at $50k limit, Discover $20k, and the other 5 cards are low limits, $7-10k each.
Those 5 have been tucked away for years (no AF of course) and have used once or twice for balance transfer promos.
I want to get at least $20k on the new Visa card, so that is the only reason I thought about canceling the 5... seems I have too much credit open and they may only give me $10k max
Needs to be a Visa Signature card too.

What does anyone think about the Capital One VentureOne Rewards card?
No AF, 11% APR, 0% on purchases for 1 year, 1.25 miles per dollar unlimited, and never expire. I assume you can cash the miles in for dollars?

rated:
Mulox said:   Wow, thanks for the quick responses and all good info!

I don't need to establish credit, and I am not a business (although I do charge about 30% for work on my personal Amex and expense it).
My Delta Amex is at $50k limit, Discover $20k, and the other 5 cards are low limits, $7-10k each.
Those 5 have been tucked away for years (no AF of course) and have used once or twice for balance transfer promos.
I want to get at least $20k on the new Visa card, so that is the only reason I thought about canceling the 5... seems I have too much credit open and they may only give me $10k max

No AF, 11% APR, 0% on purchases for 1 year, 1.25 miles per dollar unlimited, and never expire. I assume you can cash the miles in for dollars?

Go with any Chase travel card -- they will most likely I've you $20k plus limits on your first card. They matched or exceeded the highest limits for both my wif and I, which is over $20k.

rated:
Mulox -- A lot of folks swear by the Barclays Arrival and get something north of 2% back in travel rewards.

I'd do Chase Sapphire Preferred for at least the first year. For me, the annual fee is worth the "cool factor" of having a metal card. Be sure to use an offer to get the signup bonus.

At the same time I'd get the 2% Amex or Visa from FIA. I'm a fan of the Visa. It gets 1.5% CB initially, then 2% after $15K of spending each year.

Also, I echo the others here. I'd keep those other cards active. Use them once a year or so and then sock drawer them. It'll help you keep your average age of accounts up, utilization down and I can't think of any negatives!

rated:
Mulox, I would add that Amex is accepted in most places. I have both Fido Amex and Visa for everything and end up putting $33k on Amex and $7k on Visa.

Unless you do a lot of business with one vendor who is Visa only, I would not give up on 2% Fido Amex.

And agree with everyone else - don't cancel cards! (Unless they have fees)

rated:
Mulox said:   Wow, thanks for the quick responses and all good info!

Man that's a lot to put on a Delta card.
For Platinum, there's little benefit in putting more than 50k/year spending on it (to maximize the spending bonuses at 25k and 50k).
you'd likely be a lot better off with any 2% card for spending over that unless you're getting ~2.5%+ CPP on your skymiles.
If I were you I would look into the Citi DoubleCash 2% card, though it's a mastercard, not a VISA Sig.
Why does it need to be a Visa Sig?

You don't necessarily need to close any of those other cards in fear of it causing you to get less credit. i.e. if you have chase cards, you can request those open Credit lines be moved to the new card.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1119120121122 123
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015