• filter:
  • 1122123124125 126
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I don't use the card anymore. Too much frustrations.

rated:
I received a new card 2 months ago, never knew there was a problem. The letter stated 'due to security concerns"

rated:
I complained about the transaction denial with BOA and asked that someone worth their weight implement a form of notification to the customer using the card 1st before any denial. I specifically told them I was on vacation and in an area where the card was used in the past. The transaction amount was for typical spend too. I was with my 9 year old when my Fidelity card was denied, and had to call the bank in the parking lot in front of my kid to fix it so that he knew there was not a problem with his dad. I told the bank on the phone that I instead used one of their competitor's rewards card and they quickly apologized, at 1st not even caring. Just last week there was an announcement from Bank of America that they implemented some form of notification for the customer but you have to sign up, but there is no way for me to determine how to implement that for the Fidelity card as it seems to be off the reservation... If anyone knows how to get it working (i.e. the new notification option) for Fidelity AMEX, please shout out.

rated:
Took out the AMEX preferred card not knowing there was a fee. Took it for the 150 after 1k spend. Called & they said if the account is closed within 60 days, it's refunded. Thought I'd share that if it wasn't already.

rated:
in2dadark said:   Took out the AMEX preferred card not knowing there was a fee. Took it for the 150 after 1k spend. Called & they said if the account is closed within 60 days, it's refunded. Thought I'd share that if it wasn't already.
  Oh I didn't notice that, thanks for the warning.

rated:
About to do a few applications for spend bonuses, compiling a list. Any other card offers to consider?

make model spend months bonus %
amex bce 500 25 0.05
chase sapphire preferred 4000 3 400 0.1
chase ink 5000 3 500 0.1
citi thankyou premeir 3000 3 500 0.1666666667
citi thankyou preferred 1500 3 200 0.1333333333
citi AT&T Access More 2000 3 650 0.325 phone
chase IHG(R) Rewards Club Select Credit Card 1000 3 300 0.3
bankamer MLB® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ MasterCard 500 3 100 0.2
bankamer BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card 500 3 100 0.2
cap1 Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card 3000 3 400 0.1333333333
cap1 Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card 500 100 0.2
td TD Cash Rewards Visa Credit Card 1500 3 200 0.1333333333
cap1 Capital One Spark Business 4500 3 500 0.1111111111

rated:
I wouldn't waste my tine on any of those except Sapphire Preferred, Ink and Spark.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   I wouldn't waste my tine on any of those except Sapphire Preferred, Ink and Spark.
  Why not? Please explain.

rated:
princesspool said:   
tjguitar85 said:   I wouldn't waste my tine on any of those except Sapphire Preferred, Ink and Spark.
  Why not? Please explain.

He's a TY point hater, he doesn't like to apply for cards with less than 400 signup bonus, and like many of us hates CapOne except find value in a 2% card.
Remove the Citi cards, CapOne card, and cards with like 0-350 and you're pretty much left with those three he said.

you're focusing on % CB even though it's capped at low amounts, he (and I) focus on CB per hard credit pull. I also value mine at around $400 per pull.

rated:
Yeah, imbatman basically summed it up. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the CapitalOne Spark. A pull on every bureau seems steep, but it's an easy $500. I guess I'll do it eventually.

rated:
Hi Guys. Wondering about getting the Fidelity Visa. 1.5cb for first 15k, then 2%. Basically I see it as a 2% back card with a $75 yearly fee as I will always use it over 15k. Is this the best CB Visa? I do a lot of spending at Costco and they will only accept Visa starting April of next year.

Also, is it a problem getting the Visa when you already have the Amex? With BOA I have the Fido Amex at 45k, and Alaska Visa at $20k. I am hoping they will be okay with me getting the Visa and if the CL isn't great they will let me move some limit around. This sound likely? I have great credit so that shouldn't affect any of this.

rated:
buy costco cards online with a 2% card, use in store.
many people have both amex and visa version.

rated:
My Barclay Arrival+ annual fee will be billed at the end of the month.  Has anyone had success in getting the annual fee waived?

If not, any success in product changing to another card, such as regular Arrival?

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   My Barclay Arrival+ annual fee will be billed at the end of the month.  Has anyone had success in getting the annual fee waived?

If not, any success in product changing to another card, such as regular Arrival?

Very easy to change to the no-fee version, didn't bother trying to get it waived.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   My Barclay Arrival+ annual fee will be billed at the end of the month.  Has anyone had success in getting the annual fee waived?

Very easy to change to the no-fee version, didn't bother trying to get it waived.

Out of pure curiosity, why would anyone downgrade to the regular Arrival instead of just cancelling if the fee doesn't get waived?  Purely just to age the account?  As a general 1x earning card I'm not seeing the value proposition otherwise.

rated:
sometimes the barclay shopping mall (that gives arrival points) has the best rate. Can only access it if you have an Arrival card.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   
doveroftke said:   

Out of pure curiosity, why would anyone downgrade to the regular Arrival instead of just cancelling if the fee doesn't get waived?  Purely just to age the account?  As a general 1x earning card I'm not seeing the value proposition otherwise.

$0.99/month small balance cancellation.

rated:
For Arrival even if you don't use the card if you keep it open you can also get ~$1/mo for clicking on things in Barclays "Reward Fan Zone". You do have to give access to your twitter/facebook, retweet, share, etc. Of course you could also set up fake accounts to take advantage.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   doveroftke said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   My Barclay Arrival+ annual fee will be billed at the end of the month.  Has anyone had success in getting the annual fee waived?

Regular Arrival is still 2X on Travel and Dining + no foreign transaction fees.

rated:
Thanks for all the replies regarding Arrival+ to Arrival.

Next question:  I was thinking about cancelling my Arrival+ and then applying for regular Arrival to get the 20k bonus.  Anyone have success doing this?

Bonus question:  Does anyone have both Arrival+ and Arrival?  The reason I ask is I would first apply for Arrival and if denied, I would then product change from Arrival+ to Arrival.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   

FW 101: Cancelling will hurt your credit rating because your credit usage/total credit ratio will go down. Hence when possible, you shouldn't cancel cards.

rated:
My Barclay's Arrival World Plus is hitting the annual renewal date soon. Just to clarify, the regular Arrival does not have an annual fee?

robbierob03: Another reason is people want to maintain existing relationships with credit card vendors in case a new promo comes up. I've closed two cards recently. One with Amex and one with Chase, but I was able to move my credit line to another card on the same vendor. The hit will be pretty negligible if any to my score.

rated:
sfchris said:   
robbierob03 said:   

FW 101: Cancelling will hurt your credit rating because your credit usage/total credit ratio will go down. Hence when possible, you shouldn't cancel cards.

Could, not would.

rated:
Thanks everyone for the replies!  Like most everyone I'm not interested in keeping my Arrival+ with the impending changes, and I just wanted to be sure I made the most informed decision on the conversion.  I still don't think the regular Arrival is worth it for me as I'd rather just move my CL to my USAir card or product change to a Sallie Mae card if possible.
sfchris said:   
robbierob03 said:   

I personally don't follow the never cancel cards line of thinking, especially when said card has an annual fee attached.  I've personally cancelled two cards in the last sixty days because the annual fees were due and the cards weren't worth the cost for another year, and my credit scores (per Credit Sesame and Credit Karma) went down four and six points respectively.  The easy way around lower credit scores is just to allocate the credit limit from the card being cancelled.  And even if that's not possible there are other ways to show low utilization on credit reports, and having lower total credit outstanding is actually a good thing to some issuers.

rated:
-

rated:
Just logged in to Chase and noticed my Chase Freedom card was canceled. Called and asked why and they said they did a review of the account and didn't like the amount of debt I had. After talking with them they reopened the account but with a $2k limit, old limit was $10k. They closed the account a month ago and I never received an email or letter. I never use the card, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I'm guessing this mostly has to do with my Sapphire card which is about maxed out. I own a business and got a letter from Chase a couple months ago for 0% balance transfer for a year, with something like a 5% fee. From a business standpoint this looked like a 5% 12 month loan which was a better rate than WF was giving me. We decided to buy a bunch of inventory on our Fido Amex (brings down the loan to 3%) and transfer the balance to the Sapphire card. We did this for $27k, the limit on the card was $30k. They said if I called back after I pay the Sapphire card they would bring the CL on the Freedom card back to $10k.

We also run up high balances on other cards that we pay off completely every month, we never pay interest. But it makes my utilization look terrible. I used to pay off early enough to keep our statement balances low but I haven't been too worried about it as I really don't need stellar utilization right now on my CR, as I don't plan on using credit for anything in the near future and I'm lazy to pay cards off multiple times a month.

This did kind of scare me, if all of the banks we use start lowering our limits, the $80k a month or so we spend and pay off could get to be a pain. I've heard of banks doing this, but it never happened to me. I'm a little disappointed Chase couldn't look at what I was doing. Why would I take them up on their 0% interest offer for a year and pay it off right away?

I have 5 cards I keep that I don't use (keep at 0 balance) that help my utilization. My CR shows about 50% total usage. Losing a $10k card that I never use will hurt my utilization. Would using these 5 cards a little here and there help keep them open with their high CLs? I have 2 Amex, WF Visa, and BOA Visa. Anybody ever have on of these companies lower your CL or close your account because of your high utilization and non-usage of the card? Thanks.

rated:
Just looked at Credit Karma, they have my score in the low 600s with Transunion, Barclaycard has my Transunion Fico 100 points higher, my credit profile hasn't changed at all in the last 6 months, except for some minor changes in balances.

And I just got a 66% CL increase on my Amex Blue ($9k to $15k). This is all very confusing.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Just looked at Credit Karma, they have my score in the low 600s with Transunion, Barclaycard has my Transunion Fico 100 points higher, my credit profile hasn't changed at all in the last 6 months, except for some minor changes in balances.

And I just got a 66% CL increase on my Amex Blue ($9k to $15k). This is all very confusing.

Pay off your balances before the statement date, so the statement shows a zero balance, and your credit score will vastly improve because the statement date is the usual reporting date to the credit bureaus.    That is, don't carry a large balance through the statement date, so you receive statements that say zero or something lower than you do now.

rated:
But at the same time, Chase offered a BT. I get these offers pretty much every month. Based on Matrim's experience, I will probably pass on doing BTs with Chase.

rated:
I'm trying to put together an AppORama.
Mostly for travel next year 2016, targeting hotels.
Considering Citi Hilton 75k, SPG Amex 30k, and the Chase Marriott Rewards 80k valid through this month ($85).

Reeling from a few MS reqs., and putting up $85 up front for travel next year right not may not be optimal.
Appreciate any advice or input, thanks!

rated:
vgwallet said:   I'm trying to put together an AppORama.
Mostly for travel next year 2016, targeting hotels.
Considering Citi Hilton 75k, SPG Amex 30k, and the Chase Marriott Rewards 80k valid through this month ($85).

Reeling from a few MS reqs., and putting up $85 up front for travel next year right not may not be optimal.
Appreciate any advice or input, thanks!

Do you already have the Citi Hilton Reserve?  AF ($95) is not waived, but you get 2 free nights.  At the high end, that can be more than double the 75k bonus you get on the reg Citi Hilton.  I'm a big fan of SPG, and 30k is the time to get it (if you don't already have a referral, let me know! ).  As for Marriott, 70k without annual fee is pretty common.  I think it's superior to 80k with AF not waived.  Do you already have Chase IHG?

rated:
I also find a drop a few points for cancelling a couple of credit cards. The reason to cancel and not to downgrade is usually you can apply again during next AOR for same card and get bonus again (did it with Arrival $400 bonus and City TYP bonus$500). The key is to cancel it a while before reapplying otherwise may trigger some review. 
In general, with Chase tightening approval process (supposed 5 cards in 24 months, lengthy thread on flyertalk on it) AOR may become thing of the past and one needs to be very selective what to apply (bonus = $400 is good criteria). Otherwise Chase may deny you when you apply for a couple of Southwest cards to renew your Companion Pass every couple of years, which is the biggest prize for many of us in this credit card application game. 

rated:
**3% Chase Ink Cash (3% Cash Back on gas, restaurants, home improvement stores, and office supply stores)

FYI - this isn't correct. The Chase Ink Cash has 5% Cash Back on office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services and 2% Cash Back on gas stations and restaurants.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   
I personally don't follow the never cancel cards line of thinking, especially when said card has an annual fee attached.

You can simply call to convert the annual fee card to a no fee card and sock drawer it.
Cancelling it outright should be a last resort.

rated:
There is so much info, both here, and elsewhere, hard to know where to start.

Wife and I are both 730 to 740+ scores. Travel is vacation only. Maybe 2 to 3x per year. Can put roughly $3k/mo in spending on a card.

Just starting in the points game....where to start?

rated:
Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard 2.1% back towards travel. Don't have to use points through them, can use them on any travel site. $89 YF waived for first year. $400 travel sign-up bonus.

$750 in travel points a year at $3000 per month spending. I'm guessing you would use it.

If you stick with this card only you won't have to worry about playing the points and category games. When I started having trouble with my wife using the wrong credit cards at the wrong places we switched to just only using this card. Much easier now

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard 2.1% back towards travel. Don't have to use points through them, can use them on any travel site. $89 YF waived for first year. $400 travel sign-up bonus.

$750 in travel points a year at $3000 per month spending. I'm guessing you would use it.

If you stick with this card only you won't have to worry about playing the points and category games. When I started having trouble with my wife using the wrong credit cards at the wrong places we switched to just only using this card. Much easier now

At 2.1% you've got to spend $89,000 a year to break even compared to a 2% Cash Back card with no fee. If you're interested in signup bonuses, Arrival+ is a great option, but I wouldn't hold on to it as a daily spender.

A new Discover Miles account would be a great daily spender with 3% Cash Back for the first year, after which you can have your SO sign up for one (if they're still offering the double Cash Back) or see what else is out there.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1122123124125 126
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015