• filter:
  • 140 41 424344118
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: cpaynter said: pitseleh12 said: cpaynter, what do u mean ">1% at CostCo with the Fidelity"?
as opposed to what?
i have a fidelity account. if i got the schwab id have to get an account with them. any other differences between fidelity's and schwab's?

I meant that with other AMEX cards (like the CostCo TrueEarnings AMEX), the best you could expect to get at CostCo is 1%. The Fidelity gives 2%, right? That's all I'm saying. Obviously, you can't use the Schwab at CostCo.

Difference between the Fidelity and the Schwab? AMEX vs. Visa. Beyond that, I don't know.

Chris.

Why can't you use the Schwab card at CostCo?

Costco only takes AMEX IIRC. A little strange in this day and age when everyone seems to take everything.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: cpaynter said: pitseleh12 said: cpaynter, what do u mean ">1% at CostCo with the Fidelity"?
as opposed to what?
i have a fidelity account. if i got the schwab id have to get an account with them. any other differences between fidelity's and schwab's?

I meant that with other AMEX cards (like the CostCo TrueEarnings AMEX), the best you could expect to get at CostCo is 1%. The Fidelity gives 2%, right? That's all I'm saying. Obviously, you can't use the Schwab at CostCo.

Difference between the Fidelity and the Schwab? AMEX vs. Visa. Beyond that, I don't know.

Chris.

Why can't you use the Schwab card at CostCo?

I guess it wasn't obvious. The only credit card CostCo accepts is American Express . Schwab is a Visa. Therefore, you can't use the Schwab at CostCo. In general, I find that there are few AMEX cards which give good rewards on general purchases. Citi used to offer an AMEX that gave 3% on all purchases for an intro period; they devalued it just before I applied. So for me, an AMEX which gives >1% on general purchases is a boon.

Chris.

rated:
Addison Avenue FCU has a Rewards Visa that gives a straight 1% CashBack each month. They also have a CU rewards card.

rated:
How about the Citi Dividend Card ? 1% on everything and 2% on gas, supermarkets, etc. They gave 5% for a while, but stopped.

rated:
Argyll said: Addison Avenue FCU has a Rewards Visa that gives a straight 1% CashBack each month. They also have a CU rewards card.

tajar96 said: How about the Citi Dividend Card ? 1% on everything and 2% on gas, supermarkets, etc. They gave 5% for a while, but stopped.

How is this better than the 2% Schwab or even the 1.5% Fidelity?

rated:
Here is my take

Best Card Combination
1. Schwab visa for everything other than Gas and Costco (2% + it is Visa Signature that comes with whole set of benefits like warranty, price match, etc. This is not for available even for PenFed Visa).
2. PenFed Visa for Gas
3. Fidelity AMEX for Costco

rated:
Here is my take

Best Card Combination
1. Schwab visa for everything other than Gas and Costco (2% + it is Visa Signature that comes with whole set of benefits like warranty, price match, etc. This is not for available even for PenFed Visa).
2. PenFed Visa for Gas

rated:
njain said: Here is my take

Best Card Combination
2. PenFed Visa for Gas

What is the obsession with Costco? There isn't one where I live.

Are they some kind of alternate reality Sam's Club where visa doesn't exist?

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: njain said: Here is my take

Best Card Combination
2. PenFed Visa for Gas

What is this Sam's Club you speak of? There isn't one where I live.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: njain said: Here is my take

Best Card Combination
2. PenFed Visa for Gas

Um, Sam's Club doesn't take Visa credit cards, either.

Chris.

rated:
Just added a new card for EDP in QS.
3% Associated Bank Rewards Visa: 3% on gas, groceries and drugstores, 1% on everything else [link]

By the way, the old 5% EDP Associated Bank/Citi Visa seems died. Please read the lastest discussion in here.

Edit: The card is not as good as what I thought after reading the detials.

Rewards Program Rules: We will award one reward point for each dollar of “net purchases” charged to an Associated Bank Signature Rewards or Select Rewards card Account during each statement period. We will award a total of three reward points up to the Bonus Limit for each dollar of “net purchases” charged to an Associated Bank Signature Rewards or Select Rewards card Account within defined gasoline, gasoline station, grocery store, grocery supermarket, and Drugstore merchant categories during each statement period. You may earn 2 additional Points (“Bonus Points”) for a total of 3 Points for each dollar of Net Purchases charged to your Account during each billing cycle at gasoline stations, grocery stores, grocery supermarkets, or drugstores. We cannot control how merchants choose to classify their business and reserve the right to determine which Purchases qualify. You may only earn a maximum of 2,000 Bonus Points per year. After the Bonus Point limit has been reached in a calendar year you will continue to earn 1 Point for each dollar of Net Purchases charged to your Account.

rated:
cpaynter said:

Um, Sam's Club doesn't take Visa credit cards, either.

Chris.

Yeah, I never shop there. Don't want to pay the membership fees. I just go next door to WalMart.

rated:
Aitchly said: Argyll said: Addison Avenue FCU has a Rewards Visa that gives a straight 1% CashBack each month. They also have a CU rewards card.

How is this better than the 2% Schwab or even the 1.5% Fidelity?

Delta Community also has a rewards card that kicks in at about 1% for about 10,000 points. That is, all the points count.

How is this better? They are credit unions not out to get you with arbitrary changes and the need to generate fees.

rated:
Argyll said: They are credit unions not out to get you with arbitrary changes and the need to generate fees.

What arbitrary fees does the Schwab card generate? It has no annual fee, no set up fee and no foreign transaction fees.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: Argyll said: They are credit unions not out to get you with arbitrary changes and the need to generate fees.

What arbitrary fees does the Schwab card generate? It has no annual fee, no set up fee and no foreign transaction fees.

I understand there have to be linked accounts to get the Cash Back, said linked accounts with minimums and monthly fees, and banks are more prone to arbitrarily change APRs, credit limits, and charge fees than credit unions. The Schwab card is issued and administered by FIA services (formerly MBNA), now owned by the infamous Bank of America, and BOA is one of the absolute best at preying on the credit card customer because, well, they believe that's their job.

Here's a fun story:

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=60737

rated:
Argyll said: UseTheForceJesus said: Argyll said: They are credit unions not out to get you with arbitrary changes and the need to generate fees.

I understand there have to be linked accounts to get the Cash Back, said linked accounts with minimums and monthly fees, and banks are more prone to arbitrarily change APRs, credit limits, and charge fees than credit unions. The Schwab card is issued and administered by FIA services (formerly MBNA), now owned by the infamous Bank of America, and BOA is one of the absolute best at preying on the credit card customer because, well, they believe that's their job.

Here's a fun story:

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=60737

One can't predict the future, but there are neither fees nor minimum balances if you get the Schwab Invest First Visa, open a Schwab One brokerage account, and link the brokerage account to the Visa, so that points earned from using the Visa will automatically sweep to the brokerage account.

You can set up an external account using Schwab's MoneyLink service and ACH funds from the brokerage account to the external account for free.

BoA/FIA is known these days for cutting CLs from their cards, especially when you talk with a Credit Analyst, but despite that risk, I'd still rather have the Schwab Invest First 2% cashb@ck card than a 1% c@shback card from another issuer. I'll cross that bridge (account minimum, fees) when it happens -- if it does.

rated:
My point is that credit unions usually don't have the need for the arbitrary credit, fee, APR, CL changes of rapacious for-profit institutions like BOA. CUs also usually don't require minimum balances in linked accounts (other than the usual $5 ownership share).

I have long experience with many credit cards. MBNA and BOA are ones I stay away from even if they offer 10% rewards because it frequently ends up costing more in the long run, in money, credit problems, and uncertainty.

Schwab may be perfectly fine but the odds of you running into a problem that costs you time, money, and credit problems are about a hundred times (or more) greater with an institution like BOA than a credit union.

I wish you good luck but I don't use any credit card other than from a credit union right now.

rated:
Argyll said: Schwab may be perfectly fine but the odds of you running into a problem that costs you time, money, and credit problems are about a hundred times (or more) greater with an institution like BOA than a credit union.

Definitely true. When I did have a problem with my Schwab credit card, I contacted Schwab to fix the problem. FIA refused to help but Schwab resolved the issue pretty quickly. I was rather hesitant to get the Schwab credit card because I know B of A's reputation. I've never used a credit union. Everyone that I researched in my area had ridiculous fees like $5 to replace a lost card. That just annoys me. Many credit card companies will overnight a card for free.

rated:
Argyll said: My point is that credit unions usually don't have the need for the arbitrary credit, fee, APR, CL changes of rapacious for-profit institutions like BOA. CUs also usually don't require minimum balances in linked accounts (other than the usual $5 ownership share).

I have long experience with many credit cards. MBNA and BOA are ones I stay away from even if they offer 10% rewards because it frequently ends up costing more in the long run, in money, credit problems, and uncertainty.

Schwab may be perfectly fine but the odds of you running into a problem that costs you time, money, and credit problems are about a hundred times (or more) greater with an institution like BOA than a credit union.

I wish you good luck but I don't use any credit card other than from a credit union right now.

First, thanks for the good wishes!

Second, thus far the rewards and c@shback from those "rapacious for-profit institutions" have far exceeded any downside, even when Citi kicked me to the curb, closing my CashReturns cards (the only type of Citi card I had at the time), forfeiting my pending c@shback, and costing me about $75K in lost CLs. Even if I *never* have another Citi card, the experience was worthwhile.

I've not seen any CU card approach the CR card, much less bonuses/points I've gained from cards issued by other major bank issuers, with the possible exception of the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa card. As you probably know, the cashb@ck from that card was recently decreased from 1.25% to 1%, and its Forex fee raised from 1% to 2%.

Naturally, everyone has to weigh the factors that are important to them when applying for credit cards. For me, even an annual fee can occasionally be worthwhile -- witness the Chase BA Visa card with its (dead again) bonus offer of 50K/50K BA miles. I've not seen a CU card that has offered that kind of bonus; the PenFed Travel AMEX card isn't nearly as good, IMO.

If you know of specific CU cards that are great in terms of c@shback and rewards points, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks!

rated:
Another thing with Credit Union credit cards is many of them don't include all the extras you are accustomed to, such as extended warranty and 90 day lost stolen protection..because they have to pay for these features and instead prefer to have lower interest rates on the card instead (which doesn't matter to me...as i pay my bills within the grace period every month anyway)...and the rewards programs they do have is usually in the nature of a reward points for merchandise type of program and not Cash Back....

I was going to get an Alliant Credit Card but learned it didn't offer extended warranty or lost/stolen protection....

rated:
* The rate of interest on credit union credit cards is 20% lower than that charged by the banks.

* Fees for going over the assigned credit limit are an average of $19 lower.

* No fee balance transfer credit cards are provided by 75% of credit unions and only 12% of the banks. The fee for transferring money between cards is about 4%.

credit unions are less likely to charge the fees and penalties that the new card act hopes to eliminate — and when they do, they charge less than other issuers.

While virtually all banks and other for-profit issuers increase the interest rate if the borrower fails to make a minimum payment on time, most credit unions do not. Similarly, credit union fees for exceeding the credit limit are on average just half those of other issuers. But contrary to industry assertions, more responsible card users don't pay the price. Credit union cards actually offer lower annual fees and longer grace periods than regular cards.

http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/2009/06/23/the-credit-un...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rated:
I think Argyll is comparing average bank credit cards and average credit union credit cards. So, the result is that credit union wins. However, in FW, we are looking for the best cards and do not care who issue them. The result - Schwab Visa is better than any card issued by any credit union. (PenFed for gas is an exception.)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

* The rate of interest on credit union credit cards is 20% lower than that charged by the banks.

Do we care? We pay in full every month.

* Fees for going over the assigned credit limit are an average of $19 lower.

Do we care? We have never gone over our CL. And, it is not a problem any more.

* No fee balance transfer credit cards are provided by 75% of credit unions and only 12% of the banks. The fee for transferring money between cards is about 4%

Yes, no BT fee (or low BT fee with cap) is important for us, but only when the BT rate is 0%. Do credit unions offer that very often?

rated:
minggang said: I think Argyll is comparing average bank credit cards and average credit union credit cards. So, the result is that credit union wins. However, in FW, we are looking for the best cards and do not care who issue them. The result - Schwab Visa is better than any card issued by any credit union. (PenFed for gas is an exception.)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

No, it's not. Schwab Visa only offers better rewards. It has a higher APR, higher balance transfer fees, higher cash advance fees, higher late payment fees, higher returned payment fees than the average credit union credit card.

In addition, there is a much greater likelihood of running into a problem that costs you time, money, and perhaps your credit line and credit score with the Schwab card. If you miss a payment all sorts of evil rains down on you, unlike many CU cards. I have a couple that have no penalty at all for one or two missed payments.

Schwab has one advantage and one only -- rewards...and you pay for it with higher APR, greater fees, and greater risk.

If rewards are all you care to discuss when measuring the value of a credit card, perhaps there should be a thread entitled "What Rewards Credit Card Should I Get?"

rated:
Argyll said: minggang said: I think Argyll is comparing average bank credit cards and average credit union credit cards. So, the result is that credit union wins. However, in FW, we are looking for the best cards and do not care who issue them. The result - Schwab Visa is better than any card issued by any credit union. (PenFed for gas is an exception.)

No, it's not. Schwab Visa only offers better rewards. It has a higher APR, higher balance transfer fees, higher cash advance fees, higher late payment fees, higher returned payment fees than the average credit union credit card.

In addition, there is a much greater likelihood of running into a problem that costs you time, money, and perhaps your credit line and credit score with the Schwab card. If you miss a payment all sorts of evil rains down on you, unlike many CU cards. I have a couple that have no penalty at all for one or two missed payments.

Schwab has one advantage and one only -- rewards...and you pay for it with higher APR, greater fees, and greater risk.

If rewards are all you care to discuss when measuring the value of a credit card, perhaps there should be a thread entitled "What Rewards Credit Card Should I Get?"

I always saw this thread as the best Rewards card. This is FW after all. 2% is the best all around for Cash Back.

I guess we could have split threads, this one and the other one. We could title it "I can't manage my finances, mail a payment on time, and often use a credit card as an ATM, since my credit score is 600, what credit card should I apply for so I can get denied?"

rated:
Aitchly said:

I always saw this thread as the best Rewards card. This is FW after all. 2% is the best all around for Cash Back.

I guess we could have split threads, this one and the other one. We could title it "I can't manage my finances, mail a payment on time, and often use a credit card as an ATM, since my credit score is 600, what credit card should I apply for so I can get denied?"

Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.

In addition, if you have to borrow funds due to an emergency, medical situation, unemployment, family difficulty, or some other situation you will be socked with high fees. Pretending you can manage your finances because you've avoided problems so far is no excuse for deliberately utilizing risky instruments and claiming they are better than less risky ones.

rated:
Argyll said:

Do we care about all those APR and fees? If you do, you are not supposed to find a card here.

Argyll said:

I missed the first payment for 0% BT from BofA. After one phone call, they credited the fee and 0% APR still applied. What I want to say is that one case means nothing.

Argyll said:

Did you read what Craig talked about? Extras such as extended warranty and 90 day lost stolen protection.

Argyll said:

I don't mind if you change the title. That is what I am looking for.

rated:
Argyll said: Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.

Now I understand. You must be one of those poor souls that still send payments in the mail. I pay all of bills online so there is zero chance of a weather event delaying my payment, it getting lost in the mail or postman Newman stealing it.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: Argyll said: Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.

Now I understand. You must be one of those poor souls that still send payments in the mail. I pay all of bills online so there is zero chance of a weather event delaying my payment, it getting lost in the mail or postman Newman stealing it.

So you are the only person on earth never to have experienced an internet outage? Never a problem with accessing any site ever?

rated:
Argyll said: UseTheForceJesus said: Argyll said: Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.

So you are the only person on earth never to have experienced an internet outage? Never a problem with accessing any site ever?

I use internet bill pay to schedule my payments weeks in advance. Never had a problem.

rated:
minggang said:

Argyll said:

Did you read what Craig talked about? Extras such as extended warranty and 90 day lost stolen protection.

How often have you used that? How often has craig used that? How often does anyone use it? How easy it is to use? I have never used those features from a credit card.

rated:
Argyll said: minggang said:

Argyll said:

How often have you used that? How often has craig used that? How often does anyone use it? How easy it is to use? I have never used those features from a credit card.

Well if you haven't used them, obviously they must not exist.

Bueno, si tu no lo habrias usando. Por supuesto no existe.

rated:
QS Updated:
1. Removed all cards which are not offered any more, for example, Citi PremierPass (no annual fee version)
2. Add Dollar Bank Consumer and Business Visa (only 1.25%), US Bank Business Visa (1.5% if you have checking account with them)
3. Add BofA Business MasterCard (3% Cash Back at office supply stores, gas stations, and for computer network services)
4. Add details about rewards of some cards.
a. Citi Forward Visa only get 1 TYP at restaurant coded as Bar, Drink Place
b. Am3x SimlyCash get 5% CashBack on wireless service only, not purchase. I found out this because I bought an iPhone at AT&T Retail Store (not an authorized dealer) and get only 1% Cash Back. After talking with CSR, I was told that the purchase of phone and accessories only get 1%.

rated:

Argyll said:

How often have you paid interest, late fee, and over limit fee? I have never paid any these fees to my credit card issuers.
I have used those features more often than paying fees. I believe you must be different. You must have paid fees more often than using those features.
That is why we are looking for different cards.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus,
It is meaningless to keep talking to Argyll. He is against BANK, not one specific credit card product. If one bank offer 10% APR on a CD, and his CU only offer 5% ARP, and all terms and prices are same, he will still argue that his CU’s CD is better only because it is from CU. He will say that average fees of savings products from all banks are higher than CUs, although this bank CD has lower fees than his CU CD. He doesn’t care if this specific product is better or not at all.

rated:

Argyll said:

You're free to advocate whatever credit cards you like, based on the features that appeal to you. Same with others who might have different priorities than you. For me, it's a combination of a bonus, even if it's one-time (e.g., the Chase BA Visa), c@shback (currently the Schwab Invest First Visa, followed by the PenFed VISA Platinum), and rewards (AM*X SPG). I don't care about APR, late fees, whether the issuer is a CU or Bank, etc.

In short, your standards (i.e. what's important to you) are your own and not necessarily shared by others, either completely or partially. I don't mind hearing them because it's always good to have another perspective and I can learn something, whether or not I agree with that perspective. For example, I'll keep a sharper eye out for offerings from CUs. The question is: can you acknowledge that others might have different priorities than yours and try to acknowledge those priorities work better for them than your priorities would?

There is no universal answer as to the best credit card for everyone. We can only give our opinions and state how those opinions were arrived at. I find this thread useful not just for the opinions themselves but the reasons and facts behind those opinions.

rated:
Although i haven't actually ever needed to use the extended warranty feature of my cards, i still like having it...it gives me extra potential protection for no charge...
For example, when i buy a laptop, it comes with 1 year warranty...why should i pay Toshiba $100 or so for an extra year coverage when i get it for free with my credit card for no charge at all?

As far as how easy it is to use...well, i have friends that have used it (they have visa cards as i do) and it was excellent...Visa doesn't even require you get an estimate in advance, as long as you bring it to an authorized manufacturer repair place, they will fully re-imburse you for the charge....In fact, if the item will cost more then 60% of it's value to repair, they will usually "total it" and send you a check for the FULL AMOUNT you originally bought the item for, so you can just go buy a new one....

As far as payments....as soon as i get my bill, i immediately schedule a Bill Pay to them...which they get electronically (all credit card companies i have ever had accept electronic Bill Pays)...and electronic payments are received within 1 to 2 days at the MOST...and keep in mind that you have at least 20 days to pay your bill when you receive the statement, so there's certainly ample time to make sure the payment was received ok...

This is why most here have no concerned about how high a card's rate is....it is totally a non-issue...we pay right away, way before time and never run into any situations where we would end up paying interest on our cards...

Though i love CU's i would not generally want to get a card from them as they don't usually offer the best rewards programs and card features...they are best for those who tend to not be prudent about paying within the grace period, and pay out their bills over time...then they offer a great advantage over banks (usually) of a much lower interest rate...And they are probably a bit easier to get larger credit lines with, if you are a member in good standing and tend to use their services a lot and keep a good amount of money with them...

rated:
minggang said: Argyll said: minggang said:

Argyll said:

How often have you paid interest, late fee, and over limit fee? I have never paid any these fees to my credit card issuers.
I have used those features more often than paying fees. I believe you must be different. You must have paid fees more often than using those features.

Obviously if you have not used them, they do not exist.

rated:
minggang said: UseTheForceJesus,
It is meaningless to keep talking to Argyll. He is against BANK, not one specific credit card product. If one bank offer 10% APR on a CD, and his CU only offer 5% ARP, and all terms and prices are same, he will still argue that his CU’s CD is better only because it is from CU. He will say that average fees of savings products from all banks are higher than CUs, although this bank CD has lower fees than his CU CD. He doesn’t care if this specific product is better or not at all.

You are 100% incorrect. I am referring to credit cards not CDs. How on earth can you possibly compare an insured time deposit to a credit card?

Please avoid the ad hominem attacks and making up nonsense.

rated:
Argyll said: minggang said: Argyll said: minggang said:

Argyll said:

Obviously if you have not used them, they do not exist.

When did I say they do not exist? I keep saying that I do not care about them because I do not use them. Right?

rated:
glxpass said:
You're free to advocate whatever credit cards you like, based on the features that appeal to you. Same with others who might have different priorities than you. For me, it's a combination of a bonus, even if it's one-time (e.g., the Chase BA Visa), c@shback (currently the Schwab Invest First Visa, followed by the PenFed VISA Platinum), and rewards (AM*X SPG). I don't care about APR, late fees, whether the issuer is a CU or Bank, etc.

In short, your standards (i.e. what's important to you) are your own and not necessarily shared by others, either completely or partially. I don't mind hearing them because it's always good to have another perspective and I can learn something, whether or not I agree with that perspective. For example, I'll keep a sharper eye out for offerings from CUs. The question is: can you acknowledge that others might have different priorities than yours and try to acknowledge those priorities work better for them than your priorities would?

There is no universal answer as to the best credit card for everyone. We can only give our opinions and state how those opinions were arrived at. I find this thread useful not just for the opinions themselves but the reasons and facts behind those opinions.

I already acknowledge that others may have different priorities. I'm just stating my opinion. I am not the one suggesting that other opinions are invalid or the poster be ignored or it is meaningless to Converse with a poster. Perhaps others could, like I do and as you suggested, try to acknowledge others have different priorities.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 140 41 424344118
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014