• filter:
  • 144 45 464748120
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
angelmartinez said: UseTheForceJesus said: Now that the Schwab card is gone, why isn't there any mention of the Capital One Venture for 2% back on everything?

Technically it's 2 miles per dollar, but these aren't like other airline miles. You can book on any airline or hotel, using any website and then Capital One pays for your ticket at a rate of 1 mile = 1 cent. If you spend more on airfare and hotels then you get in CashBack, then this card should be just as good as the Schwab Card. I think the Venture Card should be in the general category.

Also there are no forex fees and you get 10,000 miles = $100 bucks for signing up.

Capital One Venture

Capital One is a low-end option. The card has good features. Just the issuer behind it has a tendency to be anti-customer.

YMMV. Capital One has been very good to me. How is it "low-end" or "anti-customer"?

What kills the Venture for me is the $59 annual fee. Blech.

Chris.

rated:
With the sign up bonus, you are basically getting 2 years free.

After that they have a 1.25% card with no fee.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: With the sign up bonus, you are basically getting 2 years free.

After that they have a 1.25% card with no fee.

Yeah, you're right. I thought of that after I posted. I just have this knee-jerk reaction to annual fees. But after thinking about it, if I didn't already have a 2% card, this would be a good bet. After getting the $100 signup bonus, I'd have two years to find a good rewards card with no A/F. Nice find.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said: angelmartinez said: UseTheForceJesus said: Now that the Schwab card is gone, why isn't there any mention of the Capital One Venture for 2% back on everything?

Technically it's 2 miles per dollar, but these aren't like other airline miles. You can book on any airline or hotel, using any website and then Capital One pays for your ticket at a rate of 1 mile = 1 cent. If you spend more on airfare and hotels then you get in CashBack, then this card should be just as good as the Schwab Card. I think the Venture Card should be in the general category.

Also there are no forex fees and you get 10,000 miles = $100 bucks for signing up.

Capital One Venture

Capital One is a low-end option. The card has good features. Just the issuer behind it has a tendency to be anti-customer.

YMMV. Capital One has been very good to me. How is it "low-end" or "anti-customer"?

Chris.

Cap One has given me very low CLs compared to Scwab/other cards. That's a big downer for me.

rated:
cpaynter said: angelmartinez said: UseTheForceJesus said: Now that the Schwab card is gone, why isn't there any mention of the Capital One Venture for 2% back on everything?

Capital One Venture

Chris.

Lack of customer service and they are one step above First Premier or HSBC (US Only), which isn't saying much.

Most of their credit lines are $500 and below, and sometimes around $1500 for some consumers.

And that's based on the credit report's I have analyzed from multiple sources, YMMV

rated:
I have two capital on cards. both CL 20k. they have been fine for me.

rated:
if you apply for one of their standard\average credit CC you likely will get $500 limit however venture is excellent credit and same tier as any other company with usable limits

rated:
My credit is far from stellar, and Capital One gave me a $8K limit on a Miles Rewards Card, which is listed as requiring "Good" credit, a notch down from the "Excellent" required for the Venture card. An $8K limit is peanuts by some peoples' estimation, but it's pretty average for my lines, which run anywhere from $5K to $20K (most recently, Schwab gave me $11K). It's beginning to sound like Capital One evaluates each potential cardholder and assigns a credit limit appropriate based on that person's creditworthiness. Shocking.

Chris.

rated:
Anyone else have the AT&T Universal Savings card -- gives 10% back on anything you spend at AT&T for first 12 months, including your monthly cell phone, internet, or tv bill. After first year, drops to 5% plus 1 Thank You point on everything else -- not a bad deal IMO if you spend a lot on phone/internet with AT&T.

rated:
smartymcmarty said: Anyone else have the AT&T Universal Savings card -- gives 10% back on anything you spend at AT&T for first 12 months, including your monthly cell phone, internet, or tv bill. After first year, drops to 5% plus 1 Thank You point on everything else -- not a bad deal IMO if you spend a lot on phone/internet with AT&T.

I think that you still also get 30 mins of free long distance outside of your area code per month

rated:
What cards offer access to the highest status tier through spending? I only know of the HHonors Surpass card, that gives you Hilton Diamond with 40k spent. Any others?

rated:
poncedelabank said: What cards offer access to the highest status tier through spending? I only know of the HHonors Surpass card, that gives you Hilton Diamond with 40k spent. Any others?

AMEX will give you the centurion card if you spend more than 250K on the platinum.

rated:
Does anyone else here have a Fort Knox card? I just noticed on their site that they give you the option of paying your credit card bill with another credit card. If this actually works... CHA-CHING!

rated:
Shut down on application for the Capital One card mentioned a few post back. Darn AOR's balances and inquiries are there to make me suffer!!

rated:
PhrostByte said: Does anyone else here have a Fort Knox card? I just noticed on their site that they give you the option of paying your credit card bill with another credit card. If this actually works... CHA-CHING!

Can anyone else confirm? If this is true... (and paying off the fort knox card counts as a purchase, NOT a balance transfer) ...then it means that you can get 7% back on gas. (5+2 with schwab) and 3.25% back on everything else That would be extraordinary.

rated:
Unable to login,

We're sorry.
Due to scheduled maintenance, the site you are attempting to access is unavailable at this time.
We will be back online at 2:00AM PST.
Thank you for your understanding.

rated:
Cheapoking said: Shut down on application for the Capital One card mentioned a few post back. Darn AOR's balances and inquiries are there to make me suffer!!

Don't I know it! 11 inquiries and average age of 3 years (when I've been using credit for more than 25 years) are killing my score. There are three cards on my list I really, really want to apply for, but just don't want to risk it. Aaargh.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said: Cheapoking said: Shut down on application for the Capital One card mentioned a few post back. Darn AOR's balances and inquiries are there to make me suffer!!

Don't I know it! 11 inquiries and average age of 3 years (when I've been using credit for more than 25 years) are killing my score. There are three cards on my list I really, really want to apply for, but just don't want to risk it. Aaargh.

Chris.

Same here my brother, the story never ends!!

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: PhrostByte said: Does anyone else here have a Fort Knox card? I just noticed on their site that they give you the option of paying your credit card bill with another credit card. If this actually works... CHA-CHING!

Can anyone else confirm? If this is true... (and paying off the fort knox card counts as a purchase, NOT a balance transfer) ...then it means that you can get 7% back on gas. (5+2 with schwab) and 3.25% back on everything else That would be extraordinary.

I don't know why you got negged for this. It's a great idea. (I'm brilliant aren't I?)

Anyway, I haven't received my first Fort Knox statement yet, but when I do.. I'm going to try paying for it with my Schwab. Hope it works.

rated:
PhrostByte said: UseTheForceJesus said: PhrostByte said: Does anyone else here have a Fort Knox card? I just noticed on their site that they give you the option of paying your credit card bill with another credit card. If this actually works... CHA-CHING!

I don't know why you got negged for this. It's a great idea. (I'm brilliant aren't I?)

Anyway, I haven't received my first Fort Knox statement yet, but when I do.. I'm going to try paying for it with my Schwab. Hope it works.

You don't have to wait for a bill. Pay the Fort Knox 20 bucks and see what happens.

Also, be sure to report back here

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said: Now that the Schwab card is gone, why isn't there any mention of the Capital One Venture for 2% back on everything?

Capital One Venture

There is an AF though. Plus... its Capital One.

rated:
Anyone know a good credit card for utilities, drug stores and super markets?

rated:
hapsnn said: UseTheForceJesus said: Now that the Schwab card is gone, why isn't there any mention of the Capital One Venture for 2% back on everything?

Capital One Venture

There is an AF though. Plus... its Capital One.

Right, it's Capital One, which means reasonable credit limits, great customer service, fee-free interest-free purchase checks, and no foreign exchange fees. At least, that's my experience. YMMV.

Chris.

rated:
comptalk said: Anyone know a good credit card for utilities, drug stores and super markets?

Hilton Honors AMEX gives 3 extra points for grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, home and wireless phone, cable and satellite TV, and Internet service providers.

rated:
Can you convert the HH AMEX from point to cash?

rated:
PhrostByte said:

Where does it say this on their site? Link?

rated:
myadvice said: comptalk said: Anyone know a good credit card for utilities, drug stores and super markets?

Hilton Honors AMEX gives 3 extra points for grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, home and wireless phone, cable and satellite TV, and Internet service providers.

Earn 6 HHonors bonus points for every eligible dollar you spend at Hilton Family hotels, and at grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, wireless and home phone, internet, cable, and satellite TV service providers. Earn 3 HHonors bonus points for every eligible dollar charged everywhere else.

rated:
comptalk said: Can you convert the HH AMEX from point to cash?

Not that I'm aware of. There is a mall-type place where you can get giftcards (~50kpts=$100).

Best value for the points though tend to be hotel redemptions. With the AMEX card you can get discounted hotel redemption rates for 4 night stays on points. (AXON awards - for an explanation see this flyertalk thread.)

rated:
Argyll said: PhrostByte said:

Go to http://fkfcu.org/

highlight: loans
click: helpful credit info

make an account and see for yourself.. it's legit. Also to the UseTheForceJesus: Argyll told me they charge a $3 fee,, so I'm going to wait until I have a huge statement lined up to try it

rated:
PhrostByte said: Argyll said: [

Go to http://fkfcu.org/

highlight: loans
click: helpful credit info

make an account and see for yourself.. it's legit. Also to the UseTheForceJesus: Argyll told me they charge a $3 fee,, so I'm going to wait until I have a huge statement lined up to try it

There's nothing about paying the Fort Knox CC bill with a credit card there. How long have you had the card?

rated:
http://xs.to/image-B65A_4BDCCA69.jpg

rated:
PhrostByte said: http://xs.to/image-B65A_4BDCCA69.jpg

I see. Does a space to put in the number show up? Does it take an external credit card account (because they might mean their credit card)? If so, try it and report back. Thanks.

rated:
http://xs.to/image-684C_4BDCDC0C.jpg

rated:
PhrostByte said: http://xs.to/image-684C_4BDCDC0C.jpg

Now I know where you live.

BTW: I see they don't charge a fee for this. Have you tried it yet?

rated:
Nope, haven't tried it yet. I'll wait till I get a statement. If this works... it's gonna be a cashbackers dream. Forward for all restaurants and stuff... everything else goes to Fort Knox, which gets sent over to Schwab. :]

rated:
PhrostByte said: Nope, haven't tried it yet. I'll wait till I get a statement. If this works... it's gonna be a cashbackers dream. Forward for all restaurants and stuff... everything else goes to Fort Knox, which gets sent over to Schwab. :]

You don't have to wait for a statement. Try it with $1 or $10 or whatever you want to risk.

I see there's something about a convenience fee, but it says $0.00.

PS You could even try it with .01.

rated:
Argyll said: PhrostByte said: Nope, haven't tried it yet. I'll wait till I get a statement. If this works... it's gonna be a cashbackers dream. Forward for all restaurants and stuff... everything else goes to Fort Knox, which gets sent over to Schwab. :]

You don't have to wait for a statement. Try it with $1 or $10 or whatever you want to risk.

I see there's something about a convenience fee, but it says $0.00.

Yes, I'd make it a small payment amount in case the payment is handled as a cash advance. Even if Fort Knox doesn't charge a fee, the credit card issuer of the credit card you're using to pay the bill from might interpret the payment as a cash advance.

rated:
Prehaps it would be safer to first try paying a few dollars with a debit card and see if it shows up as purchase or cash advance\ pinless debit

rated:
Any opinions on Escape by Discover Card? Credit Card Tune-Up (www.creditcardtuneup.com ... I know people have mixed opinions about it) ranks it very highly. Perhaps it's worth a mention?

rated:
rand0mness said: Any opinions on Escape by Discover Card? Credit Card Tune-Up (www.creditcardtuneup.com ... I know people have mixed opinions about it) ranks it very highly. Perhaps it's worth a mention?

$60 annual fee kills.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 144 45 464748120
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014