• filter:
  • 15 6 789115
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
American Express is giving away 25k points for new customers who sign up for their gold credit card.

you can take these 25k and redeem them for a roundtrip domestic flight, or u can trade it in for a $250 gift certificate

discussion about this deal is at
http://www.bankaholic.com/2007/free-plane-ticket-american-express/

my wife and i both signed up, and we're going to use our plane tix to take our daughter to disneyworld LOL.

rated:
Can someone help me find a good credit card that has low or no finance charges for international use?

I will be living in the caribbean for around a year, and I want a card that won't kill me for purchases, currency exchanges, or atm transactions.

thanks for the help

rated:
greeneclipse said: Can someone help me find a good credit card that has low or no finance charges for international use?

I will be living in the caribbean for around a year, and I want a card that won't kill me for purchases, currency exchanges, or atm transactions.

thanks for the help

From the first page:

Foreign Spending
BMW Visa (0% forex, earns points towards a BMW = approx 1% ca$h back)
CapOne (0% forex, some cards earn points = 0% fee or approx 1% ca$h back)
Penfed (1% forex, 1.25% ca$h back = 0.25% ca$h back. widely accepted visa)
Discover Card (0% forex, up to 1% ca$h back, card is not widely accepted in most countries except China where discover is accepted by China UnionPay, the largest payment system there)
Charles Schwab Visa (MBNA/FIA) (2% forex, 1% ca$h back = 1% fee) (as of April 31, 2007)
Wells Fargo Visa Signature (0% fee -- Non-signature cards pay 3%!)
State Farm Visa (1% forex, 1% ca$h back)

rated:
But it looks so much better when you quote it, Dick.

For real people, read.

rated:
Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I was just wondering what credit cards I can get with a score of around 630. I know I probably should work on getting it higher first, but let's say I don't need high credit limits or 0% BT. I just want some Air Miles, Hotel Points, Statement Credit that come with first use of the CC.

BTW I already have (or have had) the following:

Citi AAdvantage Mastercard ( both business and personal)
Citi Business Platinum Select
Citi Diamond Preferred
Citi Professional
Citi AT&T Universal

AMEX Business Gold Rewards
AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles
AMEX Business platinum Premium Cash Rebate
AMEX SPG
AMEX Blue Cash

Chase Business (green backgroung color)
Chase sony VISA
Chase Marriott Rewards
Chase United Mileage Plus (Personal)
Chase Priority Club VISA

First National Bank Omaha Rewards Advantage VISA

BOA AMEX
BOA WorldPoints Mastercard

Schwab World Points Rewards VISA

Thanks!

rated:
^^^ With a 630 credit score the only cards I would feel "comfortable" saying you might get are the Capital One, Household Bank, and Orchard bank variety. Those very rarely come with large sign up bonuses.

I have never seen my credit score below 675 and I have gotten rejected by nearly all of the Am.Ex, Chase, Citi, etc major players.

Even if I had a copy of your credit report I don't think I could say if you would get accepted for any particular card with better than a 50/50 chance.

rated:
DickWhitcomb said: ^^^ With a 630 credit score the only cards I would feel "comfortable" saying you might get are the Capital One, Household Bank, and Orchard bank variety. Those very rarely come with large sign up bonuses.

I have never seen my credit score below 675 and I have gotten rejected by nearly all of the Am.Ex, Chase, Citi, etc major players.

Even if I had a copy of your credit report I don't think I could say if you would get accepted for any particular card with better than a 50/50 chance.

This site lets you search for cards by different criteria, including credit score.

rated:
madscribe said: DickWhitcomb said: ^^^ With a 630 credit score the only cards I would feel "comfortable" saying you might get are the Capital One, Household Bank, and Orchard bank variety. Those very rarely come with large sign up bonuses.

This site lets you search for cards by different criteria, including credit score.

Interesting that every card was either a sumbprime card that almost never has a bonus or a high annual fee airline card.

I didn't know airline cards were specifically known to be given out to low credit scores.

I'm skeptical that this "calculator" isn't simply recommending the cards that give the biggest referral commissions.

rated:
I just this offer got in the mail today:

Capitol One 0% intro offer on all BT's and all purchases through 7/2008- and no fee for BT.

No annual fee

I do not need to do any BT's, well, I could do some, but the amount is kinda small: 3K already at 0%
So, if I apply, will I get a BT check to write to my bank? I think not.

Any one have any related experiences with Crap 1?

My score is 745 high and 732 low

TIA!

edited to add the amount of CL from Crap One says at least 2K, why bother, I think?

However I could move some Chase debt (BT to MMA) over and extend the interest coming in by 2 months!!!!

But would Crapo 1 give me a BT for 21K???

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: This site lets you search for cards by different criteria, including credit score.

Interesting that every card was either a sumbprime card that almost never has a bonus or a high annual fee airline card.

I didn't know airline cards were specifically known to be given out to low credit scores.

I'm skeptical that this "calculator" isn't simply recommending the cards that give the biggest referral commissions.

Yeah, I agree, though it's the best (only) thing out there that I have come across that offers any guidance like that. They do have a direct application for an HSBC no-annual-fee 2% CB (on everything) platinum MC that I haven't seen anywhere else, that looks pretty tempting. (I'm getting 1.5% from Blue Cash now, but I would definitely consider the HSBC next year, when the BC threshold resets.)

rated:
I've had my blue for at least a yr now, started at 2k credit, without asking for a credit increase, I got upto 50k credit line.

I make alot of purchases, and although I know instead of Cash Back you get reward points I haven't looked into the details on which card would be better?

so, blue or blue cash?
dependant on?
pros/cons? experience?

I know you have to spend 6,500 to start earning 1.5%, but thats not a problem for me.

Should I be considering anything else, because it loosk to be like blue cash wins hands down.

rated:
Add to Low non-promo rates

7.25% Simmons First Visa Platinum

rated:
i figured i shouldn't repost, so i linked.
please help.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/710055/10823919
thank you very very much!

rated:
What's the discover card that people reference all the time (10% Cash Back)? I have blue cash from AMEX but it might be a better deal for me.

rated:
xtacx said: I've had my blue for at least a yr now, started at 2k credit, without asking for a credit increase, I got upto 50k credit line.

I make alot of purchases, and although I know instead of Cash Back you get reward points I haven't looked into the details on which card would be better?

so, blue or blue cash?
dependant on?
pros/cons? experience?

I know you have to spend 6,500 to start earning 1.5%, but thats not a problem for me.

Should I be considering anything else, because it loosk to be like blue cash wins hands down.

Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

rated:
danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?
What 5% Cash Back cards are there anymore? Did I miss them in the quick summary?

rated:
for low credit how about hsbc secured 2% card

rated:
danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?
which cards are 2% everywhere?

rated:
minkid817 said: danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

check the quick summary on the first page

rated:
I am wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions for me.

I currently use the Citi Dividend Platinum Select card. I mainly use it for gas purchases. I spend about $45 a week in gas purchases. I have been getting 5% Cash Back but just got a letter from CitiBank saying that I am getting dropped to 2% (I know most FW'ers have already experienced this drop in the rate). I would like to find a card to replace this card so I can still receive the 5% Cash Back on gas purchases. So, I have been reading the posts here and am not sure which makes the most sense for my situation. I was thinking about AMEX Blue but I dont think I spend enough money to make that worthwhile. I also considered the Discover 5% gas card but I read on this forum that they are changing their program and capping it at $100/month starting on October. It also doesn't seem like the cards charging an annual fee would make sense. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

rated:
Matt1979 said: I would like to find a card to replace this card so I can still receive the 5% Cash Back on gas purchases.
Penfed has one, there's also the citi 6% driver's edge card.

rated:
What credit card would you recommend for a person who is signing up for his FIRST CREDIT CARD ever? Something with Free Credit would be best. Buy.com offers $30 with a new credit card signed up with them. Is it a good deal? Thank you.

rated:
Question about AMEX small business simply cash card. I really like the card, but I dont have my own business -- can I still apply? I can make up a business name and leave the business tax payer id # blank (it will assume it's the same as my own SSN) -- will this get me into any kind of trouble?

Thanks for answering this question.

rated:
Matt1979 said: I am wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions for me.

I currently use the Citi Dividend Platinum Select card. I mainly use it for gas purchases. I spend about $45 a week in gas purchases. I have been getting 5% Cash Back but just got a letter from CitiBank saying that I am getting dropped to 2% (I know most FW'ers have already experienced this drop in the rate). I would like to find a card to replace this card so I can still receive the 5% Cash Back on gas purchases. So, I have been reading the posts here and am not sure which makes the most sense for my situation. I was thinking about AMEX Blue but I dont think I spend enough money to make that worthwhile. I also considered the Discover 5% gas card but I read on this forum that they are changing their program and capping it at $100/month starting on October. It also doesn't seem like the cards charging an annual fee would make sense. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you happen to be a Costco member, the Costo TrueEarnings business card gives a 5% rebate on gas (this includes Costco gas stations, which most cards don't count). Search the forum for info on it. No annual fee for the card, but you must have a current Costco membership ($50/year).

NB: the consumer version of the card doesn't have the gas benefit.

rated:
I remember that my Chase cash rewards CC had 5% Cash Back on gas purchase some time ago. Not sure if it is the same case nowadays.

Anyone has updated information?

rated:
Are there any airline rewards cards (not tied to a particular airline) that don't require a saturday night stay when redeeming?

rated:
johnh123 said: Are there any airline rewards cards (not tied to a particular airline) that don't require a saturday night stay when redeeming?yes, many cards offer airline rewards good to purchase ANY airline ticket up to a certain cost. Chase, Capital One, MBNA/BofA etc all offer these.

Dont get a card tied /branded to any particular airline. Just get a travel rewards card that issues points which can be redeemed for a ticket on any airline.

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: minkid817 said: danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

i already checked and still dont see any that give 2% Cash Back without meeting any threshold

rated:
then you just answered your own question then didnt you

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: minkid817 said: danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

The new HSBC/Orchard is not in the quick summary. FW thread - see thread for details. It's not a simple process.

rated:
I have a question about AMEX Blue Cash:

If you hit the $6500+ mark for annual purchases, do ALL of the past purchases ($1-6499) also receive the bonus %?

Example: I spent $6600 dollars. Is it $6499 dollars of the low % Cash Back plus $101 of the high %?

rated:
TideLeonheart said: I have a question about AMEX Blue Cash:

If you hit the $6500+ mark for annual purchases, do ALL of the past purchases ($1-6499) also receive the bonus %?

no, past purchases do not receive 5%/1.5%

rated:
jmz668 said: Matt1979 said: I would like to find a card to replace this card so I can still receive the 5% Cash Back on gas purchases.

On the Driver's Edge card, it's not Cash Back, but a rebate (that can be converted to thank-you points). What is cool though is you can use the rebate towards car repairs/maintenance or the purchase of a new vehicle, but make sure you pay with the DE card or they'll deny the rebate.

I recently had a heater core replaced for over $700.00 and I had accumulated over $100 in rebates over the year. Was as good as Cash Back. Oddly enough, after keeping a credit balance on the card for 3-4 months, they sent me a check for most of the remaining credit, still not exactly Cash Back.

rated:
kgorilla said: jmz668 said: Matt1979 said: I would like to find a card to replace this card so I can still receive the 5% Cash Back on gas purchases.

On the Driver's Edge card, it's not Cash Back, but a rebate (that can be converted to thank-you points). What is cool though is you can use the rebate towards car repairs/maintenance or the purchase of a new vehicle, but make sure you pay with the DE card or they'll deny the rebate.

I recently had a heater core replaced for over $700.00 and I had accumulated over $100 in rebates over the year. Was as good as Cash Back. Oddly enough, after keeping a credit balance on the card for 3-4 months, they sent me a check for most of the remaining credit, still not exactly Cash Back.

Once you send in your request and car repair/maintenance receipt to redeem your points, citi will credit the dollars into your accounts. If you don't spend this money in three months, they will automatically send you a refund check. If you want the cash right away, just pick up the phone, call citi, they will mail you a check in a week. We just requested a refund check for the points/dollars that were recently credited into our citi credit card account after submitting a request that includes the maintenance receipt. Hope this helps.

rated:
therivler1 said: ScootyPuffSr said: minkid817 said: danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

The new HSBC/Orchard is not in the quick summary. FW thread - see thread for details. It's not a simple process.

that's the only card I could find with 2% Cash Back on any purchases, and even then, there is a $400 annual limit

rated:
therivler1 said: ScootyPuffSr said: minkid817 said: danboris said: Why not use a 2% everywhere card in conjunction with 5% everyday purchase card to get a 24/7 2%/5% rewards instead of missing out on those %'s while meeting the threshold with Blue Cash?

Actualy it has been in the quick summary for a significant period of time. It was under the "invitation only" because as far as I know everyone who has gotten the card was either invited through the mail or was invited through the website.

The point of why it was outside of the general list and in the "invitation only" category is that the general list was supposed to be for cards that anyone could apply for and receive TODAY. Not if you are grandfathered into, not if you have a special decoder ring, and not if you have a special invitation only code.

As far as "thresholds" I'm not sure what people mean. If one drives enough they can get 2 TY points for every dollar spent. Then they can use those TY points to get an airline ticket worth 2 cents for every TY point.

I guess you might call that a threshold but it isn't a spending tier.

Anyway, the list is the best available data out there as far as I know. It seems like it is plain English to me. I'm not sure what more explanation people want but I'd be glad to give it if I understood.

rated:
Interesting article on cc rewards vs cash:

http://www.thehappyrock.com/

Check it out it's interesting. I think I will stick with my rewards cards though!

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: therivler1 said: The new HSBC/Orchard is not in the quick summary. FW thread - see thread for details. It's not a simple process.

Actualy it has been in the quick summary for a significant period of time. It was under the "invitation only" because as far as I know everyone who has gotten the card was either invited through the mail or was invited through the website.

The point of why it was outside of the general list and in the "invitation only" category is that the general list was supposed to be for cards that anyone could apply for and receive TODAY. Not if you are grandfathered into, not if you have a special decoder ring, and not if you have a special invitation only code.

This is a different offer and is open to anyone; take a look at the thread. I received a 2K CL, and the only special decoder ring that I have is from a box of Cracker Jacks.

rated:
Need you guys' advise...I searched but couldn't find something that would apply to my situation.

I, my wife and son are flying overseas this December, with each person booking about 17,000 miles round trip. We won't be renting cars or staying at hotels at our destination.

My question is: which is the best (ie. rewards/benefits) credit card to pay the airline tickets with?

I currently have Citi Platinum Dividend, Driver's Edge, AMEX Platinum Business, Sony Chase, BofA World Points and Penfed Platinum Rewards. Are there better cards worth applying for just this purpose?

Thank you.

rated:
meatballs said: Need you guys' advise...I searched but couldn't find something that would apply to my situation.

I, my wife and son are flying overseas this December, with each person booking about 17,000 miles round trip. We won't be renting cars or staying at hotels at our destination.

My question is: which is the best (ie. rewards/benefits) credit card to pay the airline tickets with?

I currently have Citi Platinum Dividend, Driver's Edge, AMEX Platinum Business, Sony Chase, BofA World Points and Penfed Platinum Rewards. Are there better cards worth applying for just this purpose?

Thank you.

If I were you, I will use any credit card that will give you the most bang of rewards for the purchase of your tickets. Your mention of 17K miles is irrelevant to the question you posted. For travel, I use AMEX costco true earning credit card to bank 2% of rewards (you need to have costco membership though). If you spend $2,000 for your tickets purchase, you will bank $40 dollars. My next choice would be Fidelity FIA visa card that gives me 1.5% cash reward. However, you need to have a Fidelity account in order to get this 1.5% reward. Otherwise, it is 1% reward like most of the other cards. I am not familiar with Penfed card, so cannot comment on it.

Alternatively, if you know the airline of choice for your flight, why not apply a credit card from them to get bonus mileage. Then, you can also deposit your flying mileage into the same account. You just need to pay attention to fees. Most of these cards are free only for the first year.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 15 6 789115
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014